PDA

View Full Version : Poor John Rooney...

INSox56
04-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Mods if this needs moving, please do so. Has anyone heard any Cardinals radio broadcasts? Rooney is doing near 100% of the calls. The color guy they have says about 5 words every other inning. This is horrible. LOL

dickallen15
04-06-2006, 03:34 PM
The guy makes $500,000 a year to watch baseball games and describe the action. I'm sure he's not complaining about anything.

TheOldRoman
04-06-2006, 03:35 PM
*sigh*
cue Hangar with another "Sox are cheap, should have kept Rooney, made their beds and they will lie in it" rant

churlish
04-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I've just caught a little bit of the game today, and Rooney is as sharp as ever. His voice is missed in the Sox booth, that's for sure. It was nice to hear him talk about Rowand.

INSox56
04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I've just caught a little bit of the game today, and Rooney is as sharp as ever. His voice is missed in the Sox booth, that's for sure. It was nice to hear him talk about Rowand.

Agreed...it seems like his color guy has somewhat come to life. Must have been passed out drunk...Speaking of that, Where's Bob Eucker, I'd love to see he and farmer together. boy oh boy.

INSox56
04-06-2006, 03:39 PM
*sigh*
cue Hangar with another "Sox are cheap, should have kept Rooney, made their beds and they will lie in it" rant

Maybe he won't notice...sorry for instigating. :redface:

TheOldRoman
04-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Maybe he won't notice...sorry for instigating. :redface:
Haha, thats alright. There is no real instigating when it comes to Hangar. He will find something to rant about whether you egg him on or not.:cool:

batmanZoSo
04-06-2006, 03:47 PM
:violin:See this? It's the world's smallest violin playing for sports broadcasters. :wink:

EastCoastSoxFan
04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Agreed...it seems like his color guy has somewhat come to life. Must have been passed out drunk...Speaking of that, Where's Bob Eucker, I'd love to see he and farmer together. boy oh boy.
"Monty, anything to add?"
"Ahh...no."
"They don't call him the best color man in the league for nothing, folks..."

Baby Fisk
04-06-2006, 03:53 PM
*sigh*
cue Hangar with another "We need to sign the greatest broadcaster in history, Bob Eucker" rant.

INSox56
04-06-2006, 04:47 PM
*sigh*
cue Hangar with another "We need to sign the greatest broadcaster in history, Bob Eucker" rant.

LOL

Britt Burns
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't think I would mind if I had to listen to Rooney call the whole game. He's smart, not overly pandering, he has a great voice and gets excited at all the right times:o: ...

...Okay, maybe he tended to lose it every once in a while for routine pop-ups, but generally he is damn good.

NoNeckEra
04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
"Monty, anything to add?"
"Ahh...no."
"They don't call him the best color man in the league for nothing, folks..."
Worthless 60's-70"s Chicago trivia: The actor who played Monty was in the original Chicago based rock group, The New Colony Six, which featured Ronnie Rice who's still playing Chicago area gigs.

kittle42
04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Agreed...it seems like his color guy has somewhat come to life. Must have been passed out drunk...

Actually, isn't the color guy Mike Shannon? Cards fans have been heard to say that Shannon often has a few too many in the booth...

Lip Man 1
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Shannon has been doing Cardinal games for at least thirty years, pretty close to after he retired with the Redbirds.

He's not usually so quiet...it may be he's still trying to mesh with Rooney.

That being said I'd much rather have Rooney and Farmer or even Rooney and Shannon then what we have right now on the radio, dumb and dumber.

Lip

JimEdmonds15
04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I dont know about ya'll but I love him doing it all.. Shannon is horrible.. I love listening to Rooney!!!!!!! :smile:

NonetheLoaiza
04-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I was listening to the game the other night, and Shannon did play by play for about an inning.

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Mike Shannon is a popular guy in St. Louis. He is officially the primary play-by-play voice (since Jack Buck died) and usually does the early and latter innings. He also has a popular restaurant (http://www.shannonsteak.com/) in St. Louis which recently moved to a new location.

JimEdmonds15
04-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Mike Shannon is a popular guy in St. Louis. He is officially the primary play-by-play voice (since Jack Buck died) and usually does the early and latter innings. He also has a popular restaurant (http://www.shannonsteak.com/) in St. Louis which recently moved to a new location.

Yep he's kinda like our Ron Santo if you wanna go there.. not real fun to listen to personally but they've been around forever with one organization!

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Yep he's kinda like our Ron Santo if you wanna go there.. not real fun to listen to personally but they've been around forever with one organization!

But I would say that Shannon is much more restrained. That is, he doens't moan and groan when things go wrong for the Redbirds.

Bobbo35
04-07-2006, 07:28 AM

He was on AM 1000 this morning on my way to work. What's the deal with the cubs getting an opening day show? Rooney sounded great and talked about how he was on his way to go pick up his ring.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Rooney is schedule to be on North's show too. I wonder if Farmer will call in unannounced.

JorgeFabregas
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Yes, it's pretty clear (and well known) than Shannon is frequently drunk in the booth and sometimes Rooney sounds uncomfortable with his drunken interjections. They have two play-by-play guys doing their class, whereas we have two color guys doing ours.

Fenway
04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
during the 2004 World Series in St Louis, Shannon's Steak House was the defacto Boston media center. It is one of the major attractions in St Louis.
Huge

http://www.shannonsteak.com/

JorgeFabregas
04-07-2006, 02:15 PM
My wife (a big Cards fan): Mike Shannon won't be around for too much longer. He lives on steak and bourbon.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, it's pretty clear (and well known) than Shannon is frequently drunk in the booth...

What would Farmer as a frequent drunk in the booth sound like?

EastCoastSoxFan
04-10-2006, 09:36 AM
What would Farmer as a frequent drunk in the booth sound like?
KingXerxes...?

kevingrt
04-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Shannon is insane in the booth. Rooney is fine as usual, it is very sad listening to Cards radio though. Shed a tear every time. They don't have very good chemistry either, Looney and Farmio were the best. Add in Willis and wow, what a baseball broadcast. Nothing against the luck Dolgin brought last year though.