PDA

View Full Version : Devil Rays name change

NonetheLoaiza
04-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I just heard on an ESPN update that the owner wants to change the name (no surprise, been said before). But it sounded like he wants to go in a completely different direction than Rays, or what was mentioned in the news before. What would your suggestions for a new name be?

Chicken Dinner
04-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Tampa Bay Early Birds

Deuce
04-06-2006, 02:33 PM
How about the Tampa Bay Retirees?

tebman
04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I just heard on an ESPN update that the owner wants to change the name (no surprise, been said before). But it sounded like he wants to go in a completely different direction than Rays, or what was mentioned in the news before. What would your suggestions for a new name be?
Tampa Bay Leaves

http://www.a1spiceworld.com/images/bay_leaves_whole_photo.jpg

EastCoastSoxFan
04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
How about the Tampa Bay Retirees?
Tampa Bay Snowbirds

HotelWhiteSox
04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Tampa Bay Carnies

0o0o0
04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Tampa Bay Count Draculas

Hangar18
04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
The Tarpons. Theyre thisclose to the name change. allegedly

Unregistered
04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
The Tarpons. Theyre thisclose to the name change. allegedlyThe Tampons might work, too.

Other names:

Tampa Bay Swallows

Tampa Bay Boredom

Tampa Bay Firesale

or

The Tampa Bay Contraction. Catch the fever!

TheOldRoman
04-06-2006, 02:51 PM
The Tarpons. Theyre thisclose to the name change. allegedly
I heard they are considering Tarpons, but there is no way in hell they will pick that. First of all, probably 95% of people dont know what the hell a tarpon is. Most importantly, it sounds to similar to a feminine hygene product. Imagine the taunts shouted at those players!

johnnyg83
04-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Tampa Bay Scallops

Fenway
04-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Tampa Bay Fighting Seaweed

Flight #24
Tampa Bay Mateys (goes with the Buccaneers)

Tampa Bay Humidity (hey - tired of the Miami Heat, check out the Humidity!)

Tampa Bay Displaced Northerners (Fits with the fact that they have a lot of young talent that's looking to leave ASAP)

Baby Fisk
Tampa Bay Breezzzzzzzz... [first use of punctuation on a baseball jersey ever]

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Tarpons? What the heck is that about? :rolling:

Why not something cool, yet still ocean related?

"Tampa Bay Sharks With Freaking Lasers," anyone?

Tekijawa
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
TAMPA BAY:

Fighting Mosquitos
White Pants
Cadillacs
Buffet Raiders

SouthSide_HitMen
04-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Ybor City El Senors (in honor of Tampa Native and former White Sox Hall of Fame manager Al Lopez).

McCuddy
04-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Las Vegas Devil Rays?

TomBradley72
04-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Thank you Jim Thompson...at least Tampa Bay White Sox is not an option.

Unregistered
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM

"Tampa Bay Sharks With Freaking Lasers," anyone?Haha, nice.

Maybe something like "The Tampa Bay Crazy Killer Robots" will stick. :D:

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Tampa Bay Lamp
Tampa Bay Keyboard
Tampa Bay Desk
Tampa Bay Diet Pepsi
Tampa Bay Cheeseburger

It'd be so awesome if they just named the team after the first random thing they saw. Imagine what Pepsi would pay for that...Enough to field a competitive team, provided no one else sells their name.

Tekijawa
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Tampa Bay Devil Rays of St. Petersburg anyone?

johnnyg83
04-06-2006, 03:15 PM
"The Tampa Bay Fat Guys Who Use Beards to Simulate Their Jawlines"

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Tampa Bay City Rollers?

Like the Sox, they can have fireworks every S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y....Night!

SOXPHILE
04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Tampa Bay Rum
Tampa Bay Furniture
Tampa Bay Sunburn

KRS1
04-06-2006, 03:23 PM
The Snook
Manatees
Pelicans

Or the most fierce of Florida's wildlife....................The Fighting Flamingos:D:

DSpivack
04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Tampa Bay Thunder.
It works on multiple levels:
-it references the Thunderdome
-the NHL team is the Lightning

PaulDrake
04-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Tampa Bay City Rollers?

Like the Sox, they can have fireworks every S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y....Night! Can you do fireworks in a dome?

Baby Fisk
04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Can you do fireworks in a dome?
Yes, but it gets too smokey if you do too many.

NonetheLoaiza
04-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Since I didnt even offer a suggestion, I'll go with what's hot right now...

Tampa Bay Snakes on a Plane.

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 03:44 PM

I'd buy season tickets for that.

Come to think of it. I'd buy season tickets if I lived in Tampa, anyway. Cheap as heck to see the Rays play.

FedEx227
04-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Yes, but it gets too smokey if you do too many.

Not sure if the Trop could smell any worse then it does now.

buehrle4cy05
04-06-2006, 03:47 PM

You have my vote.:cool:

bennyw41
04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Does anyone have any REAL suggestions? I wonder what they are going to change them to. I can see the Thunder, or something weather related.

jortafan
04-06-2006, 03:53 PM

"Tampa Bay Sharks With Freaking Lasers," anyone?

Actually, Tarpons is the nickname used by Tampa teams when the city was in the minor leagues. The point being that Tampa Tarpons is just as legitimate a baseball nickname as Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers or San Diego Padres, to name a few major league teams that honored their minor league baseball pasts.

And what's wrong with Tarpons, aside from the fact that a few mental midgets will make tampon jokes. Those likely are the same people who root for the Cubs.

MrRoboto83
04-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Actually, Tarpons is the nickname used by Tampa teams when the city was in the minor leagues. The point being that Tampa Tarpons is just as legitimate a baseball nickname as Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers or San Diego Padres, to name a few major league teams that honored their minor league baseball pasts.

And what's wrong with Tarpons, aside from the fact that a few mental midgets will make tampon jokes. Those likely are the same people who root for the Cubs.

I thought you said the Tampa Tampons:o:

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Does anyone have any REAL suggestions? I wonder what they are going to change them to. I can see the Thunder, or something weather related.

Barracudas?
Manta Rays?
There aren't any cool names for a team from Tampa Bay.

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 03:57 PM

How about the fact that it's a sissy fish? No one said that the Orioles, etc had a good name. I simply said that the Tarpons is a crappy one. :tongue:

chisoxfan64
04-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Tampa Bay Palmettos

FedEx227
04-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I like Thunder a lot...

IIRC we had a topic about this before with some actual legit suggestions.

*EDIT*

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65282&highlight=Devil+Rays+Change

Theres the old topic, reminds me of how much I miss Aaron Rowand even more :(

Unregistered
04-06-2006, 04:07 PM
OK, OK, here we go:

The Tampa Bay Cay.

Huh? Huh? It rhymes! And cay - you know, like coral or whatever... :dunno:

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Isnt technically the name "d-rays" cuz they feel iffy about saying devil?

Tampa Bay Hurricanes
The tampa bay dolphins of miami

chisoxfan64
04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
:knue It has to be the Tampa Bay Cubs, every game will be a sell out.

champagne030
04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Tampa Bay Blue Hairs

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 04:18 PM
tampa bay chads

Tampa Bay soy based products

batmanZoSo
04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
tampa bay chads

:kneeslap: :roflmao:

Hitmen77
04-06-2006, 04:20 PM
So, let's see...they have a lousy stadium, lousy uniforms, a lousy team name, and a laughable proposed new team name. Sounds like a great franchise.

I know, I know, i'll have to eat my words when they win 77 games this year.

TheDarkGundam
04-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Tampa Bay Horsemasters

34 Inch Stick
04-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Florida Marlins should be available soon.

0o0o0
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Tampa Bay Lamp
Tampa Bay Keyboard
Tampa Bay Desk
Tampa Bay Diet Pepsi
Tampa Bay Cheeseburger

It'd be so awesome if they just named the team after the first random thing they saw. Imagine what Pepsi would pay for that...Enough to field a competitive team, provided no one else sells their name.
:rolling::rolling::rolling:
A lot of newer teams are trying to be really creative with their names. I think something really vague would be great:
Tampa Bay Stuff
Tampa Bay Guys

LuvSox
04-06-2006, 04:33 PM
The Tampa Bay Troy McClure's

Deebs14
04-06-2006, 04:34 PM

I can vouch for that...I lived there for decent part of my life and it's unbearable down there, especially during this time of the year.

Unregistered
04-06-2006, 04:40 PM
:rolling::rolling::rolling:
A lot of newer teams are trying to be really creative with their names. I think something really vague would be great:
Tampa Bay Stuff
Dude, the Tampa Bay Stuff is ****ing excellent. There's my vote. :thumbsup:

FedEx227
04-06-2006, 04:48 PM
The Tampa Bay Troy McClure's

Hi! We're the Troy McClures you might remember us from such Triple A affliates as the Durham Bulls!

it works!

Deebs14
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi! We're the Troy McClures you might remember us from such Triple A affliates as the Durham Bulls!

it works!

:rolling:

ondafarm
04-06-2006, 05:16 PM
They should move to Manila and rename themselves the 'Manila Folders'.

((Recyled Flub joke warning.))

SouthSide_HitMen
04-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Barracudas?
Manta Rays?
There aren't any cool names for a team from Tampa Bay.

If they want to stick with the fish names, I like the Tampa Barracudas. You can have Ann and Nancy play in a pre game concert introducing the new team.

:farmer

That is Nancy Wilson of Heart, not Nancy Faust of Comiskey Park fame.

:wills

In 159 games I'm taking out your drillrod partner and you are moving back to commentary. :cool:

Dick Allen
04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Tampa Bay Jock Rash

whitesoxfan1986
04-06-2006, 05:37 PM
If they ar Iffy about the word "devil" then why dont they just go by the Manta Rays or Stingrays? then they don't have to change the unis.

Lip Man 1
04-06-2006, 06:19 PM
The New Orleans Buccaneers...or the Charlotte Shooting Stars or the Las Vegas Gamblers or the Portland Timber.

Because they aren't much longer for the Tampa / St. Pete area.

Lip

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
The New Orleans Buccaneers...or the Charlotte Shooting Stars or the Las Vegas Gamblers or the Portland Timber.

Lip

There are not even far-out extreme rumors to that effect...

Tampa's not moving.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2006, 06:39 PM
There are not even far-out extreme rumors to that effect...

Tampa's not moving.
I think they have that stadium leased for like a billion years.*

*I'm given to hyperbole.

LongLiveFisk
04-06-2006, 06:50 PM
If they ar Iffy about the word "devil" then why dont they just go by the Manta Rays or Stingrays? then they don't have to change the unis.

I like Stingrays. That should tide them over the next two years before they're contracted. :redneck

Lip Man 1
04-06-2006, 06:59 PM
The baseball labor deal expires after this season. The owners threatened eliminating two to four teams in 2002. The MLBPA no longer has any legal say in this regard by virture of the fact they surrendered that right in 2002.

It is possible the owners are going to bring the contraction / moving issue up again. if they do, Tampa Bay will be one of the first teams to go.

Is it likely....probably not...is it possible...yes. (despite the fact that Tampa's lease has another 15 years to go...contracts can be broken...)

The Devil Rays are an unmitigated disaster both on the field and at the gate. It won't take the new owner long to figure this out and start hearing the siren songs of another city.

Lip

The Racehorse
04-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Lip
... or the,

The Norfolk Destroyers [anchors away!]
The New Port News Nuclear Subs [ping, ping]
The Virginia Beach Beach Bums [hey Dude, surfs up!]

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I like Stingrays. That should tide them over the next two years before they're contracted. :redneck

I believe the team was originally to be named the Sting Rays, but it's copyrighted by General Motors. Devil Rays was the second choice.

Daver
04-06-2006, 07:12 PM
The baseball labor deal expires after this season. The owners threatened eliminating two to four teams in 2002. The MLBPA no longer has any legal say in this regard by virture of the fact they surrendered that right in 2002.

It is possible the owners are going to bring the contraction / moving issue up again. if they do, Tampa Bay will be one of the first teams to go.

Is it likely....probably not...is it possible...yes. (despite the fact that Tampa's lease has another 15 years to go...contracts can be broken...)

One of the first concessions the MLBPA is going to ask for in return for altering the current CBA on the drug policy, is a repeal of this consession from 2002.

whtsx1959
04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Since they're not too far away from Nickelodeon Studios at Universal Studios they could pick one of the "Legends of the Hidden Temple" team names...
The Tampa Bay...
-Blue Barracudas
-Silver Snakes
-Orange Iguanas
-Green Monkeys
-Purple Parrots
-Red Jaguars

Yes, I know, I'm a child
Maybe the Tampa Babies?

soxfanatlanta
04-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Technically, they play their games in St. Pete; which is home of the Salvador Dali museum. So...

The St Pete Surrealists

http://www.artquotes.net/masters/salvador-dali/the-persistence-of-memory.jpg

Has a nice ring to it, no? :tongue:

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but my uncle thought of the "portland marlons" for the marlins new name

AnkleSox
04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Tampa Bay Cellar Dwellers.

Eh, i tried.

gobears1987
04-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I heard they are considering Tarpons, but there is no way in hell they will pick that. First of all, probably 95% of people dont know what the hell a tarpon is. Most importantly, it sounds to similar to a feminine hygene product. Imagine the taunts shouted at those players!True. I know what a Tarpon is. Half of the developments down there have names like Tarpon Cove. I wonder how many people call it Tampon Cove based on the fact we read the beginning and end of a word.

Kogs35
04-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Tampa Bay Casaya's
Tampa Bay Turkey Dogs
Tampa Bay Love Boats .... oh wait wrong sport.:D:

Fenway
04-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Lip the City of St Pete after being burnt by the White Sox, Mariners and Giants forced the Devil Rays and MLB into a 30 year iron clad lease. That is why they are never mentioned for contraction or relocation. The penalties alone would be over 100 million dollars and MLB would be on the hook. They stuck there.

The Devil Rays are an unmitigated disaster both on the field and at the gate. It won't take the new owner long to figure this out and start hearing the siren songs of another city.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2006, 08:21 PM

LipNot quite true. The only thing they surrendered is the right to bring an anti-trust suit. All effects of contraction (i.e. anything that might reasonably be considered as having an effect on the players) has to be negotiated in collective bargaining, and the owners have to give notice by July 1. As a practical matter, that includes just about everything.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-06-2006, 08:51 PM
The Tampa Bay City Rollers
The Tampa Bay Steamers
THe Tampa Bay File Not Found
Tampa Bay Easy Money
Tampa Bay Lady Bugs
Tampa Bay Back to School
Tampa Bay Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo

JohnBasedowYoda
04-06-2006, 08:54 PM
tampa bay chads

Is that hanging chads?

TheDarkGundam
04-06-2006, 08:58 PM
The Tampa Bay Steamers
Tampa Bay Easy Money
Tampa Bay Lady Bugs
Tampa Bay Back to School
Hmmm, those last two seem dead-on. Can you imagine the little kids in Tampa Bay dreaming of growing up and one day playing for the "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloos"? You could call them the Boogaloos for short.
http://www.shaister.com/img/gg_breakin2.jpg

0o0o0
04-06-2006, 09:30 PM
The Tampa Bay Steamers
Tampa Bay Easy Money
Tampa Bay Lady Bugs
Tampa Bay Back to School
Introducing your 2006 Tampa Bay JohnBasedowYoda!

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM

John basedow as the mascot.....who knows, could whip the team and fans into shape with his simple workouts

1951Campbell
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
To appeal to the the Euro-hipster-soccer-dork crowd: Tampa Bay United or Tampa Bay Real.

To emulate the WNBA or Arena Football: any stupid name that doesn't end in a plural noun, e.g. the Tampa Bay Pain.

To appeal to Florida's Cuban community: the Tampa Bay of Pigs.

:D:

ondafarm
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Okay, this is the definitive best name for the Tampa Bay team.

The Tampa Bay Marauders.

Just perhaps the crowd here is too young to appreciate it.

dlee120
04-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Tampa Bay Gifts
Tampa Bay Blizzard
Tampa Bay Madres
Tampa Bay Cellars
Tampa Bay Death
Tampa Bay Birthdays
Tampa Bay Warner Saunders
Tampa Bay Sears Towers

0o0o0
04-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Tampa Bay Gifts
Tampa Bay Blizzard
Tampa Bay Madres
Tampa Bay Cellars
Tampa Bay Death
Tampa Bay Birthdays
Tampa Bay Warner Saunders
Tampa Bay Sears Towers
Nice. Tampa Bay Channel 5 News At 10 theme song

JohnBasedowYoda
04-06-2006, 10:04 PM

In my 2 year long career at WSI that's the worst compliment I ever got. Associating me with the Devil Rays...sheesh:cool:

Hmmm, those last two seem dead-on. Can you imagine the little kids in Tampa Bay dreaming of growing up and one day playing for the "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloos"? You could call them the Boogaloos for short.

I was going for the Rodney Dangerfeild naming system

Actually one year for Christmas a friend of mine got Breakin and Breakin2 from two different people, uncoordinated.

chisoxmike
04-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Tampa Bay....ah to hell with it, you people don't care!

DSpivack
04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Best reason for Tampa Bay Thunder:
Thunderstruck!

Kogs35
04-06-2006, 11:20 PM
The Tampa Bay Don's. Don zimmer still works for them IIRC and they could come out to the saprano's theme. tony can be the mascott

GregoryEtc
04-06-2006, 11:31 PM
St. Petersburg Purple Cobras

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/artman/uploads/dodgeballpubj.jpg

Joosh
04-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Since Weather names are a popular choice, how about:

The Tampa Bay Partly Cloudy with Highs in the Upper 70's?

Or maybe thats too long.

The Tampa Bay Bermuda Triangle?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-06-2006, 11:45 PM

Lip

I think they rank on the second tier on the contraction scale.

Teams must be contracted in pairs (unless a new expansion team is simultaneously added).

Tier One - Florida with either Bud Selig's Pal (and former Loan Officer) Minnesota or Kansas City depending on stadium referendums. Minnesota has the 15th largest market and should never be contracted but that doesn't matter in Bud & Carl's world where cash is king and taxpayers be damned.

Tier Two would include Tampa, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (new stadiums be damned).

Bud Selig would never contract the Brewers and Cincinnati is the only market as small. I could see Angelos wanting to sell but I don't think they can contract the Orioles. Denver is too large a market to pass up even though the team will always stink (and attendance is not very good these days).

The Marlins have no viable American cities to move their team to (and have free market rights from the other clubs - i.e. San Jose, New York / New Jersey, etc.).

Unless Bud can con Japan into giving him $3 - $4 billion in new stadiums and move 4 teams over to Japan (and somehow get the union to approve), the days of musical chairs is over.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2005&seasonType=2

monkeypants
04-06-2006, 11:47 PM
How about Tampa Bay Rowdies in honor of the former North American Soccer League team from the 1970s and 80s.

Or the Tampa Bay-side Tigers in honor of the Saved By The Bell high school team. If the Canadian Football League could have two Rough Riders teams then why not MLB?

Hitmen77
04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Tier Two would include Tampa, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (new stadiums be damned).

Bud Selig would never contract the Brewers and Cincinnati is the only market as small. I could see Angelos wanting to sell but I don't think they can contract the Orioles. Denver is too large a market to pass up even though the team will always stink (and attendance is not very good these days).

The Marlins have no viable American cities to move their team to (and have free market rights from the other clubs - i.e. San Jose, New York / New Jersey, etc.).

How could the Orioles even be mentioned in a thread about contraction? :?: They're one of the most successful franchises in terms of revenue and they have a wildly popular and successful modern ballpark.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are certainly struggling, but I don't see them nearly as close to contraction as Tampa Bay. They both have great new stadiums and more than a century of history. The Tampa Bay Nothings have neither.

Konerkoholic
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
The Tampa Bay ChimpanAs to ChimpanZs.
The Tampa Bay Furniture
The Tampa Bay Jason Bays (attempting to lure Jason Bay over)
The Tampa Bay of Biscay

Lip Man 1
04-07-2006, 12:13 PM
The 'contraction' issue is driven a lot by two factors...team revenues and stadium situation.

I'm sure there are other factors but if you assume those two are the biggest then the 'hit' list looks like this and only this:

*Florida (no revenues, no payroll to speak of, no stadium, no fans...)

*Minnesota (almost dropped once, has an owner willing to sell out, not a lot of revenue, no stadium on the table and the Minnesota voters aren't going to subsidize one of the richest men on the planet...)

*Tampa Bay (no fans, a dismal stadium with no new one on the horizon...)

*Oakland (not a lot of revenue, no new stadium on the horizon despite owners comments that they need one...)

Kansas City could be one of these teams but I have never heard their name mentioned in any circles.

As far as Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati....please. :rolleyes:

Lip

mccoydp
04-07-2006, 12:15 PM
... or the,

The Norfolk Destroyers [anchors away!]
The New Port News Nuclear Subs [ping, ping]
The Virginia Beach Beach Bums [hey Dude, surfs up!]

Will be interesting to see how far Norfolk makes it in the Marlins acquisition hunt...if they got them, I'm not sure if they would tack onto Harbor Park or build a new stadium.

champagne030
04-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I think they rank on the second tier on the contraction scale.

Teams must be contracted in pairs (unless a new expansion team is simultaneously added).

Tier One - Florida with either Bud Selig's Pal (and former Loan Officer) Minnesota or Kansas City depending on stadium referendums. Minnesota has the 15th largest market and should never be contracted but that doesn't matter in Bud & Carl's world where cash is king and taxpayers be damned.

Unless Bud can con Japan into giving him $3 - $4 billion in new stadiums and move 4 teams over to Japan (and somehow get the union to approve), the days of musical chairs is over.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2005&seasonType=2

The Royals got their sales tax increase and their lease has been extended 25 years.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060405&content_id=1385085&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Scottiehaswheels
04-07-2006, 12:36 PM

Um... Wouldn't this net at 0? so its just relocation

Hitmen77
04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
The Royals got their sales tax increase and their lease has been extended 25 years.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060405&content_id=1385085&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

I wonder what renovations they have planned. They only mentioned adding a restaurant and an "outfield project".

Ultimately, the question will be whether a renovation will be able to revitalize this franchise. Will it bring more people to the park? Can they become competitive again? Or will they perpetually remain the AL version of the Pirates.

Railsplitter
04-07-2006, 01:10 PM

If it's not a plural noun, it's not for baseball.

Railsplitter
04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Tampa Bay Squids

Tampa Bay Boosters (hey, it fits Florida's space tradition)

In deference to where they actually play, and a city with the same name:

St Petersburgh Czars

VenturaSoxFan23
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Lip

The Bucs were an ABA team that had one good season (the first), then crapped out and moved to Memphis, where they became even worse.

That said, good idea.

champagne030
04-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I wonder what renovations they have planned. They only mentioned adding a restaurant and an "outfield project".

Upgrade/Widen concourse to double concessions and increase bathroom size, new 100% larger high-def video board, ect. A lot of fan friendly amenities. They'll also improve the revenue stream if they can fill the 80% increase they'll have in suites and however many guests the party rooms hold. :cool:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060318&content_id=1354848&vkey=pr_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/kc/download/KauffmanStadium.pdf

Fenway
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/04/06/Rays/Devil_Rays_may_play_n.shtml

If the Devil Rays adopt a new name, it will mark the first time a Major League Baseball team changed its name without moving to another city since the Houston Colt .45s became the Astros in 1965. That change was made to honor Houston's space program.

The Boston Braves tried it in 1936. To generate excitement, they called themselves the Bees; the stadium became the Beehive.
"The result was very predictable: Nothing," Thorn said. "They went back to the Braves."

St Pete Times is asking all 27 Rays fans what they think
http://www.sptimes.com/blogs/devilrays/

Florida Wet Sox?

MILTMAY5
04-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Tampa Bay Cotton Tops!

hellenicsoxfan
04-07-2006, 04:42 PM
So, let's see...they have a lousy stadium, lousy uniforms, a lousy team name, and a laughable proposed new team name. Sounds like a great franchise.

Sounds like the cubs.

I like the name Tampa Bay Watch.

ondafarm
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Here's the reason.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avb26.html

search for "Tampa"

SoxEd
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Lip the City of St Pete after being burnt by the White Sox, Mariners and Giants forced the Devil Rays and MLB into a 30 year iron clad lease. That is why they are never mentioned for contraction or relocation. The penalties alone would be over 100 million dollars and MLB would be on the hook. They stuck there.

In light of the above, how about 'Tampa Bay Contractual Obligations'?

How about 'Tampa Bay Trading Co'?

How about Tampa Bay Stingrays (We Don't Make Cars You Know, Honest)'?
(I can't believe that 'Stingrays' can't be used by a Baseball franchise because it's patented by an auto manufacturer. How litigious IS the USA? Oy gevalt...)

As a fan of Iain M. Banks, I like:

'Tampa Bay Nervous Energy'
or
'Tampa Bay Restless Legs'
(not to mention Tampa Bay 'I also carry a Big Stick').

If they're iffy about saying the word 'Devil' in their current official nickname, how about

'Tampa Bay Flanders'?

Mr. White Sox
04-07-2006, 05:15 PM
The "TB Splash"

It'll be printed just like that on the jersey, PLUS it rhymes with JT Smash of Simpsons Yvon Eht Nioj fame, PLUS it sounds like a team you'd see if Any Given Sunday were a baseball movie.

How is this NOT an amazing name?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-07-2006, 05:43 PM
How could the Orioles even be mentioned in a thread about contraction? :?: They're one of the most successful franchises in terms of revenue and they have a wildly popular and successful modern ballpark.

Angelos' days are numbered. Attendance has plummeted and now he is living off the money who was able to scam off of National's TV revenues and other MLB concessions. A team can survive in Baltimore but I can see Angelos trying to sell or move saying "the Nationals drove him out of business" when in reality it was the sorry ass team he put out on the field the past several seasons.

As for The Lip, you can "roll your eyes" but Pittsburgh has NEVER been a baseball town. The 1979 World Series did not sell out. The thrill of PNC lasted about 1 season until the fans realized it is the same, no chance in hell Pirates. Cincinnati has been mismanaged for several years. Cincinnati can support baseball - it is a great baseball town. I agree it is highly unlikely baseball will leave Cincinnati unless they get another ten years of what they have gotten under Carl Lindner. It will be hard to find anyone worse - well anyone worse than

http://www.cnnsi.com/baseball/2002/allstar/news/2002/07/09/allstar_game_ap/t1_selig_ap.jpg

Lip Man 1
04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Ventura:

Actually the New Orleans Bucs were in the ABA the first three seasons. In year #1 they played Pittsburgh for the championship losing in seven games. Then they moved to Memphis and became the 'Pros,' then the 'Tams' and then the 'Sounds'

:o:

New Orleans' executive G.M. was Morton Downey Jr. (yes the same guy who'd go on and have the original version of the Jerry Springer show)

The Bucs top players were Larry Brown, Doug Moe and Red Robbins.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Um... Wouldn't this net at 0? so its just relocation

Well net yes but if a new owner is granted a franchise for $400 - $500 million, Carl Pohlad / Jeff Loria gets their check for a quarter billion from baseball, Minnesota or Florida fans are SOL and a new team sprouts somewhere under different ownership. The players union wouldn't care but many fans would.

This is how Bud got his franchise. The Seattle Pilots were 1 and done. They folded after the year and Bud was awarded a team in Milwaukee with a couple of scraps from Seattle but nothing of note. Bud didn't buy the team from the Seattle Ownership - he claimed the rights to a team elsewhere.

RSox78
04-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Keep the name the same. I think its the only good thing that franchise has thats half way decent.

gbergman
04-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Tampa Bay Isotopes

Fuller_Schettman
04-07-2006, 06:48 PM
The Tampa X
The Tampa Bay Ixnays
The Tampa Bay TV Trays
The Tampa Bay Maydays
The Tampa Bay Fridays
The Tampa Ham Fighters

If they do in fact move to Boise, could they be called Nampa Bay?

GoSox2K3
04-08-2006, 09:59 AM
How could the Orioles even be mentioned in a thread about contraction? :?:

How about like this: You'd have to be crazy to think the Orioles are even close to consideration for contraction. :tongue:

VenturaSoxFan23
04-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Ventura:

Actually the New Orleans Bucs were in the ABA the first three seasons. In year #1 they played Pittsburgh for the championship losing in seven games. Then they moved to Memphis and became the 'Pros,' then the 'Tams' and then the 'Sounds'

:o:

New Orleans' executive G.M. was Morton Downey Jr. (yes the same guy who'd go on and have the original version of the Jerry Springer show)

The Bucs top players were Larry Brown, Doug Moe and Red Robbins.

Lip

Wunderbar! I was explaining that naming a perennial loser after a team that became accustomed to losing after they moved made sense.

New Orleans Buccaneers
1967-68: 48-30, lost to Pittsburgh in ABA Finals
1968-69: 46-32, lost to Oakland in Conference Finals
1969-70: 42-42, didn't make playoffs.
Team wasn't making money in New Orleans, so they moved to Memphis and became the Pros. Moved too late in the summer to get dates for the Mid-South Coliseum, so they were a Mississippi Delta regional team.

Memphis Pros
1970-71: 41-43, lost to Indiana in first round
1971-72: 26-58, didn't make playoffs
Charlie Finley takes over as owner, renames team the "Tams", as the first letter of the states he was going to draw fans from: Tennessee, Arkansas & Mississippi.

Memphis Tams
1972-73: 24-60, didn't make playoffs.
1973-74: 21-63, didn't make playoffs.
League was pretty much running the team anyway, so ABA Commissioner Mike Storen resigned his post and took over the franchise, in hope that a merger was coming. Renamed the team the "Sounds" because he had investors in the music industry, namely Issac Hayes.

Memphis Sounds
1974-75: 27-57, lost to Kentucky in first round. (Yes, they made the playoffs thanks to Virginia's stellar mark of 15-69.) Investors bought the team and moved them to Baltimore. Bought Dan Issel for $500,000.

Baltimore Hustlers/Claws
Was a team mainly in name only. Survived 40 days and went out of business, 5 days before the season began. By the end of the 1975-76 season, two more teams would fold in December and Virginia folded one month after the season ended. The merger (the NBA would call it "expansion") came into being and the two leagues played as one ever since.

This actually sounds better than the mess going on in Tampa right now. At least there was some sort of hope.

TheVulture
04-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Tampa Bay Early Birds

Genius!

gobears1987
04-09-2006, 08:08 PM
*** were they thinking with the name Tarpon? Everyone will call them the Tampons. Imagine the mascot then!!!! Can you imagine that?:o:

greenpeach
04-09-2006, 10:09 PM
The Tampa Bay Depends. :D:

DC Sox Fan
04-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Can't believe this one hasn't been brought up yet! In the great tradition of "Darth Visor" and Tampa Bay's rich USFL heritgate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/notoriousap/logo/bandits.gif

MisterB
04-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Well net yes but if a new owner is granted a franchise for $400 - $500 million, Carl Pohlad / Jeff Loria gets their check for a quarter billion from baseball, Minnesota or Florida fans are SOL and a new team sprouts somewhere under different ownership. The players union wouldn't care but many fans would.

This is how Bud got his franchise. The Seattle Pilots were 1 and done. They folded after the year and Bud was awarded a team in Milwaukee with a couple of scraps from Seattle but nothing of note. Bud didn't buy the team from the Seattle Ownership - he claimed the rights to a team elsewhere.

Ummm...no.

After failing to purchase the White Sox in 1969, Selig's efforts were finally rewarded on April 1, 1970, when a Seattle bankruptcy court awarded the Seattle Pilots franchise to Selig and his investors.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/executives.jsp?bio=selig_bud

Selig and his group bought out the Pilots' ownership for $10.8M.