PDA

View Full Version : Rooney nails 1990 for me

pudge
04-06-2006, 01:31 PM
From an interview in cubune, those who are too young to know the 1990 team, it was the closest to 2005 that I can think of. If there was a wild card back in '90, that team damn near may have won it:

"That 1990 team, up until this last year, was my favorite. Just because it wasn't expected to do very much, a young team that the bullpen lined up right from the very first day for Jeff Torborg, and they were scrappy. They really gutted out a lot of ballgames. In a lot of ways, they reminded me of this team. This team just did so much more."

full link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060406outloudrooney,1,2286114.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Tekijawa
04-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I think the 1990 team turned me from a Sox fan into a Rabbid Sox fan... The 2005 team turned me into borderline Psychotic Sox fan... I might need to be locked up if they win it again this year... With some extra thick padded walls.

jdm2662
04-06-2006, 02:12 PM
In my profile, I said the 1990 team was my favorite team. I still kept it in there, and added 2005. I was 13 at the time, and that team just really caught my attention. The team won 94 games without a pitcher with more than 14 wins, the high RBI was 74, high HR was 18, and the high average was .285. They didn't do anything great, just did enough to win.

LuvSox
04-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I've still got the last game of the year on vhs. Great memories of '90. :smile:

Hitmen77
04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
From an interview in cubune, those who are too young to know the 1990 team, it was the closest to 2005 that I can think of. If there was a wild card back in '90, that team damn near may have won it:...

That '90 team was one of my favorite teams. 94 wins from a team picked to finish last.

The Sox finished 1990 seven games ahead of the AL East winners. I remember the BlowSox clinched at home against the Sox and having to watch all those fans at Fenway celebrating while I was :angry: :angry: :angry: because our team had a much better record and got nothing.

If only we had a wild card system back then because the Sox played well against the A's that year.

By the way, the same thing happened to the Sox in '72 - finished with the 2nd best record in the A.L. - a better record than anyone in the East, but finished 2nd to the A's.

LuvSox
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
If only we had a wild card system back then because the Sox played well against the A's that year.

By the way, the same thing happened to the Sox in '72 - finished with the 2nd best record in the A.L. - a better record than anyone in the East, but finished 2nd to the A's.

We have quite a history with those Damn Athletics

JoeyCora28
04-06-2006, 03:57 PM
If you're interested in reading a good book about the 1990 White Sox, I would recommend:

Baseball Palace of the World

by Douglas Bukowski

It's a good summary of the last season of Old Comiskey.

My favorite game from that season is the Yankee game that we won 4-0 even though Andy Hawkins no-hit us...

DumpJerry
04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
My favorite game from that season is the Yankee game that we won 4-0 even though Andy Hawkins no-hit us...
I was there! In hindsight (right after the game ended), I knew I should have predicted something like that taking place because:

1. It was Comiskey Park's final birthday that day.

2. The Yankees really sucked eggs that year, so it was the final visit by them to Comiskey (no chance of meeting them in the playoffs in '90!).

Given that it was Comiskey's last birthday, the Sox had to win. Given that the Yankees are probably one of the most "storied" teams in professional sports (sorry, Cubune), those old Yankees in Baseball Heaven (Ruth, Gehrig, etc.) cut a deal to make it memorable for the Yankees and Sox. Hence a no-no for the Yanks and a White Sox winner!

I went to the next to last home game (last night game ever at The Palace) that year. I still get choked up thinking about it....

Lip Man 1
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
It was a magical, surprising, exciting year.

From the incredible ways they won games (on a wild pitch, on a hit batter, on Ron Kittle sticking his hip out against Baltimore deflecting a throw from second base) to the attitude of the fans (remember the banner draped in right field? 'Yuppie Scum, go back to Wrigley!) to the final series against the Mariners to the way the team played (Ivan Calderon with a suicide squeeze bunt in Detroit scoring Ron Karkovice!!) to the characters they had on the club (Lyons dropping his pants in Detroit)

One for the ages.

'Doin' the little things.....' the 1990 Chicago White Sox.

Lip

Orta 4-6-3
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
From an interview in cubune, those who are too young to know the 1990 team, it was the closest to 2005 that I can think of. If there was a wild card back in '90, that team damn near may have won it:

"That 1990 team, up until this last year, was my favorite. Just because it wasn't expected to do very much, a young team that the bullpen lined up right from the very first day for Jeff Torborg, and they were scrappy. They really gutted out a lot of ballgames. In a lot of ways, they reminded me of this team. This team just did so much more."

full link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060406outloudrooney,1,2286114.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

In my 37 seasons as a Sox fan, 1990, with that team playing the way they did, in the last year at the old park, was far and away my favorite...until last year, of course.

Irishsox1
04-07-2006, 10:00 AM
The shame about the 1990 is the wild card and the crappy Red Sox making the playoffs. But while we're talking about the Wild Card, there is one team that has really benefitted from the change and that is Red Sox. Winning it 5 times since 1995. Hell, in 2004 they were the wild card team. Cursed my ass!

Hitmen77
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
The shame about the 1990 is the wild card and the crappy Red Sox making the playoffs. But while we're talking about the Wild Card, there is one team that has really benefitted from the change and that is Red Sox. Winning it 5 times since 1995. Hell, in 2004 they were the wild card team. Cursed my ass!

Another team that has benefitted is the Flubs. Under the old 2-division format, they wouldn't have made the playoffs in '98 and '03.

Chip Z'nuff
04-07-2006, 10:45 AM

I remember that game as well. It was an afternoon game. I fell asleep on the couch watching it and thought I dreamt the whole thing!

miker
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I absolutely loved that season. All of the Cub sheep were still basking in the afterglow of '89 and nobody gave the Sox the time of day, yet they found a way to win more games than any "expert" would have given them credit for.

The Hawkins no-hitter may have been the most amazing game I have watched, just because of all the improbable things that had to happen for it to occur. I still don't think Jeff Torberg gets enough credit as a manager. Of course, saying good-bye to Comiskey and all the other highlights that have been mentioned made it a great year as well.

1990 -- another great reason I'm a Sox fan! :bandance: