PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 4/6

Lip Man 1
04-06-2006, 01:19 PM
"We have to be careful not to chase after the team that was here last year. We're going to win this division. It might look different. you can't get caught up in saying we lost a game to that team (Cleveland) that last year's team wouldn't have lost." -- Paul Konerko to the Tribune's Mark Gonzales.

Lip

Madvora
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
There going to win the division alright. No problems here. 3rd game of the season.

nebraskasox
04-06-2006, 01:39 PM
You have to like Paulie's confidence. He has a good point. This season already looks different than last year. No wire-to-wire in 06. This team may start slowly like the 83 team then catch fire in the 2nd half. (There will be a lot of people on the ledge on this board and others if we have a slow start this year)

Every team has different personnel this year. We stumbled against a highly motivated Tribe team that had a solid spring while the Sox are still finding out how the bullpen will shake out. With the distractions behind us now, I'm hoping the trips to KC and Detroit are just the tonic to get refocused on fundamentals.

credefan24
04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Great to hear Paulie say that.

There's another thread here about getting out of the post-season mentality. That is so true. For the last month and a half, us sox fans were on the edge of our seats because almost every game was do or die. Now, we have such a long ways to go until October, we need to shift gears and remember what it's like to play regular season baseball.
hey, it's ok if this year's team is different. I still think they have the intensity, are focused, and ready to kick some serious butt. I'm excited.

Yorke97
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Great to hear Paulie say that.

There's another thread here about getting out of the post-season mentality. That is so true. For the last month and a half, us sox fans were on the edge of our seats because almost every game was do or die. Now, we have such a long ways to go until October, we need to shift gears and remember what it's like to play regular season baseball.

Now we know why all of those yankee and red sox fans go nuts after the first month while playing only ONLY .500 ball

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Now we know why all of those yankee and red sox fans go nuts after the first month while playing only ONLY .500 ball
Good point. We Sox Fans have never learned how to down-shift from playoff baseball. This is a totally unique situation for over four generations of Chicago baseball fans.

We've got 159 games ahead of us. That's the equivalent of TEN FULL SEASONS of pissing and moaning over the ineptitude of McCaskey's Bears -- and yet every season we still have several knuckleheads on this board right through Christmas, calculatinng their playoff chances.

Sit back and enjoy it. It's a LONG ride...
:cool:

Ol' No. 2
04-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Good point. We Sox Fans have never learned how to down-shift from playoff baseball. This is a totally unique situation for over four generations of Chicago baseball fans.

We've got 159 games ahead of us. That's the equivalent of TEN FULL SEASONS of pissing and moaning over the ineptitude of McCaskey's Bears -- and yet every season we still have several knuckleheads on this board right through Christmas, calculatinng their playoff chances.

Sit back and enjoy it. It's a LONG ride...
:cool:But wait. All the Indians have to do is play .500 ball the rest of the way. To catch them the Sox would have to...:rolleyes:

Frontman
04-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Well, including Sunday's game, the Sox were on a 9 game winning streak, winning the past 12 out of 13 if you included the playoffs. Meaning it was a while ago since us Sox fans had to deal with the team loosing.

I think they're going to be just fine. Will they win it all? No way of saying yay or nay. It's a looooooooong season, and we've got 3 games out of 162 out of the way.

Personally, I think its the best thing for a championship team returning into a new season to get their tails whacked hard early on. Now, I never played professional sports, but I was a record setting and 1st place swimmer in high school. The year we set a new record in Medley relay, the four of us thought we were the very best swimmers next to a fish.

Our first relay following that record setting race? We lost. We lost big time. We took it for granted that since we set a record, it was ours to break any time we felt like it. It doesn't work that way. Hard work makes a champion, not past glory. Ozzie is right in the sense that '05 is over, now its time to win in '06. Granted, the whole series was nothing but a celebration of '05, with rings, banners, replica trophies, etc.

They're going to be fine. I'd be far more concerned if Paulie was saying stuff like "Nothing to worry about. We're the champs, and so what if we loose a few here and there. We're still the best team in the league" or some other type of inflated ego posturing. Ozzie, Paulie, and co. will be kickin' tail soon enough. I think the road trip will shake the whole "let's celebrate what we did" out of them and get back to playing smart ball.

Front

IronFisk
04-07-2006, 12:43 AM
You have to like Paulie's confidence. He has a good point. This season already looks different than last year. No wire-to-wire in 06. This team may start slowly like the 83 team then catch fire in the 2nd half. (There will be a lot of people on the ledge on this board and others if we have a slow start this year)
Okay, that's a tad too pessimistic. There is nothing showing me that this team will have a slow start - NOTHING! At worst, we may be within 2-5 games of first by All-Star break - only because another team is playing lights out.

buehrle4cy05
04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Stuff like this is why Paulie was named captain.:cool:

CaptainBallz
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
"We have to be careful not to chase after the team that was here last year. We're going to win this division. It might look different. you can't get caught up in saying we lost a game to that team (Cleveland) that last year's team wouldn't have lost." -- Paul Konerko to the Tribune's Mark Gonzales.

Lip

A quote like that will only rouse the sleeping giant that is The Kansas City Royals.

Paulie better watch it...

Jurr
04-07-2006, 12:28 PM
But wait. All the Indians have to do is play .500 ball the rest of the way. To catch them the Sox would have to...:rolleyes:
Ohhh..you know that was fun! It all worked out in the end.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2006, 12:45 PM

Lip

Last year's team I don't remember being too sharp in extra innings. Not for a team that won 99 games.

Lip Man 1
04-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Last year the Sox were 11-8 in extra inning games.

They were 10-1 in road extra inning games...

They were 1-7 in home extra inning games... :o:

The only home extra inning win in 2005 was when Crede hit that extra inning blast to beat Cleveland on Tuesday, September 20th!

Lip