PDA

View Full Version : Foulke loses closer role after one game

Fenway
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Jonathan Papelbon looked VERY impressive in closing out Texas last night.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/04/06/torch_passing_cant_wait/

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Talk about your short leashes. It looks like Keith Foulke lost his job on the basis of a garbage-time ninth inning Opening Day

Kogs35
04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
it aint the first time :tongue:

Thome's Homey
04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
''This is by no means an indictment of Foulke," said Francona. ''I think he's going to be brilliant. This is something we had talked about. I would not do something like that without talking to the player. I think Foulke is ready right now to be the guy we need."
Reminded that this makes it look like Papelbon is now the closer, Francona said, ''I don't care what it looks like."

TRANSLATION: Papelbon ain't got the job yet.

Fenway
04-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Francona's interview said that Foulke DIDN'T lose it. He's just taking it easy on him during April, or some such nonsense.

Nobody believes Francona. Francona stuck with Foulke last spring and it cost Boston the AL East. The playoffs would have been a lot different remember so Foulke in a roundabout way helped the White Sox last fall :tongue:

Foulke is done here, but I don't know how they can move him either.

ARLINGTON, Texas - No matter what they say, no matter how much the Red Sox try to soften the edges, the message at Ameriquest Field was as blunt as a 95-mph fastball. Keith Foulke is out. Jonathan Papelbon is in. Terry Francona is playing for keeps.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=133846

samram
04-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Nobody believes Francona. Francona stuck with Foulke last spring and it cost Boston the AL East. The playoffs would have been a lot different remember so Foulke in a roundabout way helped the White Sox last fall :tongue:

Yeah, the White Sox could have swept the Yankees in the first round while LAA took care of Boston.:cool:

Hitmen77
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I guess that Keith Foulke for Billy Koch AND NEAL COTTS trade isn't looking so bad for the Sox right now. :cool:

JohnTucker0814
04-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I guess that Keith Foulke for Billy Koch AND NEAL COTTS trade isn't looking so bad for the Sox right now. :cool:

And didn't we get Jerry Owens for Billy Koch? So in turns makes a Keith Foulke, Chad Bradford for Neal Cotts, Jerry Owens...

Kenny strikes again!

samram
04-06-2006, 02:00 PM
And didn't we get Jerry Owens for Billy Koch? So in turns makes a Keith Foulke, Chad Bradford for Neal Cotts, Jerry Owens...

Kenny strikes again!

They got Jerry Owens for Alex Escobar, IIRC.

Chicken Dinner
04-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I hated Foulker, he could ruin a 1 car funeral. Then again, so could Koch.

palehozenychicty
04-06-2006, 03:15 PM
it aint the first time :tongue:

History repeats itself again, as once Foulke gets figured out, injured, he's garbage.

Fenway
04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
well I will always have fondness for Mr Foulke. Boston doesn't win in 2004 without him.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/10/31/1099219800_7497.jpg

FedEx227
04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
You can almost see Doug planning to be a complete bitch about giving the ball back.

Good riddence, as my dad and I always called him "Choken Foulke", tips his pitches on his motion, gets found out real quickly. Francona can sugar-coat it all he wants, but nobody in the town of Boston wants Foulke as their closers for this year, they'd all love to go with the Papelbon route.

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 05:03 PM
im suddenly alot happier for drafting him

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Well, that was a waste of a draft pick with Keith Foulke, but thankfully I drafted Papelbon in the same league. :D:

A. Cavatica
04-06-2006, 08:31 PM
I would take a flyer on Foulke in a second if he came cheap, but at that salary...?

Fenway
04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I would take a flyer on Foulke in a second if he came cheap, but at that salary...?

Boston maybe forced to eat his contract similar to Renteria. After the way Foulke shot his mouth off on WEEI all last summer the fans will be on him in a heartbeat.

A. Cavatica
04-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Boston maybe forced to eat his contract similar to Renteria. After the way Foulke shot his mouth off on WEEI all last summer the fans will be on him in a heartbeat.

Oh, if they want to move him, they will definitely be forced to eat a chunk of his contract. The Yankees are forced to throw cash into every deal, 'cause they're rich and they have nobody cheap to trade, and now that Boston has set the precedent by dumping Edgar, the same rules will apply.

Granted, Boston has more minor-leaguers to trade, but it's not worth taking on Foulke at $7m+ to get Jon Lester.

HotelWhiteSox
04-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Papelbon with the save again today

lumpyspun
04-09-2006, 01:37 AM
I watched the final few innings of the boston game today and was praying that Papelboner would blow the save. I already can't stand the hype around this guy. "Next Roger Clemens" blah blah blah.

On a side note...what is wrong with Orioles fans? If I was blind and listening to the game I would have sworn they were at Fenway with the amount of Boston fans in that place. It is pretty embarrasing.

SOXintheBURGH
04-09-2006, 02:59 AM
I watched the final few innings of the boston game today and was praying that Papelboner would blow the save. I already can't stand the hype around this guy. "Next Roger Clemens" blah blah blah.

On a side note...what is wrong with Orioles fans? If I was blind and listening to the game I would have sworn they were at Fenway with the amount of Boston fans in that place. It is pretty embarrasing.

Last season I went to an Orioles and Astros game and I saw this dude dressed head to toe in Red Sox 2004 World Championship gear and jersey and hat, I was quite confused. I don't wear Sox jerseys to PNC for Brewers and Pirates games. :?:

MUsoxfan
04-09-2006, 03:38 AM
I don't wear Sox jerseys to PNC for Brewers and Pirates games. :?:

I went to a Reds/Pirates game in August last year so I could see the most beautiful park God created and was Sox-free in clothing.

Burgh....you going to the Sox/Buccos games in June? I found out last night I'm getting U.S. Steel tickets behind the dugout, so I'm excited to go

TaylorStSox
04-09-2006, 05:46 AM

I haven't seen his stuff for a long time. Even if he threw as well as he did, I don't want a closer who relies on a mediocre fastball and a great change. That's starter stuff, not closer.

Foulke You
04-10-2006, 03:30 AM
I predict the Cards and Braves to be sniffing around the Red Sox for a possible Foulke trade. They seem to have two of the more volatile closing situations in baseball right now.

Steelrod
04-10-2006, 05:10 AM
It's his history. You get him, love him, give him multiyear, hate him, trade him!

A. Cavatica
04-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I haven't seen his stuff for a long time. Even if he threw as well as he did, I don't want a closer who relies on a mediocre fastball and a great change. That's starter stuff, not closer.

I didn't say I'd make him the closer. I'd take a flyer on him as a setup man.

EndemicSox
04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Papelbon's situation is similar to McCartheys. I think you will see him starting before long.

lumpyspun
04-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Papelbon's situation is similar to McCartheys. I think you will see him starting before long.

Not totally...we have 5 solid starters that McCarthy has to contend with. Boston doesn't, its just a case of seniority there. I'm sure Papelboner is better than David Wells 80% of the time.