PDA

View Full Version : We are sooo not The Urinal!

DumpJerry
04-06-2006, 01:22 AM
I was at the April 5th game and came away with at least one positive feeling about us.

When Logan gave up that dinger to Hafner, a lot of people around the guy who caught the ball were on their feet urging him to throw it back (:angry:). The guy was standing up, but it did not look like he would throw it, but he couldn't because White Sox security swarmed him and, it appears, ordered him to not throw anything on the field of play.

Kudos to WS security for preventing moronic behavior. To those who were urging throwing the ball back: GET LOST! (of course, they won't see this since this is WHITE SOX interactive)....

SouthSide_HitMen
04-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Did anyone see that donnybrook in the bleachers in either the 8th or 9th innings? That one guy did NOT want to cooperate - it took six white jackets to subdue him.

It brought back memories of the Chicago Stadium where fights a plenty broke out during most games (on the ice and in the seats) and the off duty yellow jackets always got their man / men.

Being a former Andy Frain I had the privilege of watching them bring the offenders down to the secret dungeon at Gate 4 (and give them the business).

Buon Pasqua
04-06-2006, 01:55 AM
in my best hawk harrelson voice, "i love the u.s. cellular security..."

i saw the one guy being dragged out. he didn't seem like he was really there for the game.

i've been there a few times over the past couple years when dopes have yelled at people to 'throw it back!' i think that alone should be reason to get kicked out.

ChiSoxKid
04-06-2006, 02:09 AM
I was about 3 rows in front of that guy. I saw him grab the ball, and there indeed were a bunch of tools around him exhorting him to throw it back. There were also about the same number of people, including myself and the people I was with, yelling to him not to do so. I am glad he did not - I'd like to think he listened to my advice, but I think his choice did have alot to do with the white jackets coming in.

There was a kid next to me who went to ask him for the ball in the next half inning...the guy didn't want to give it up at that point.

Shingotime!!
04-06-2006, 02:35 AM
There was a kid next to me who went to ask him for the ball in the next half inning...the guy didn't want to give it up at that point.

Not that it matters but i would have told the kid the same thing, get lost :o:. I'm mean like that, but if he asked for it right when the homer was hit thats another story.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Did anyone see that donnybrook in the bleachers in either the 8th or 9th innings? That one guy did NOT want to cooperate - it took six white jackets to subdue him.

It brought back memories of the Chicago Stadium where fights a plenty broke out during most games (on the ice and in the seats) and the off duty yellow jackets always got their man / men.

Being a former Andy Frain I had the privilege of watching them bring the offenders down to the secret dungeon at Gate 4 (and give them the business).

I saw that brew-ha-ha from the Uper Deck. You know there was trouble when about ten white jackets began marching down the aisle...

windycityson
04-06-2006, 07:58 AM
From now on whoever catches the homerun ball should chuck it at whoever says throw it back. Then go get it and give it to the nearest kid.

The Critic
04-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Nahhh, just make like you're about to throw it back, stop and yell:
"WE DON'T DO THAT HERE!!!!"
That's what I would do, for sure.

jenn2080
04-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Being a former Andy Frain I had the privilege of watching them bring the offenders down to the secret dungeon at Gate 4 (and give them the business).\

Check the Whats the Score section about this.

Cat Thief
04-06-2006, 08:46 AM
From now on whoever catches the homerun ball should chuck it at whoever says throw it back. Then go get it and give it to the nearest kid..

Good idea.

Viva Medias B's
04-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Gene Honda should remind fans before the game and after each opponent home run to not throw the ball back onto the field. Moreover, the Sox outfielders should be instructed to toss the ball right back into the stands when someone throws it onto the field.

robiwho
04-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I could see the whole incident from the UD. It was great to see so many people telling him not to toss it back.

We have a lot of work to do this season.

Kilroy
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Gene Honda should remind fans before the game and after each opponent home run to not throw the ball back onto the field. Moreover, the Sox outfielders should be instructed to toss the ball right back into the stands when someone throws it onto the field.

That's if Gene Honda is even there any more. On Tues, all we got was Tom Schaer.

Also, I was really pleased to see neither of the Jndians home-run balls tossed back. All around us, all you could hear was 'don't throw it', but around where the balls landed, people were urging that they be thrown back. Must be some kind of localized insanity...

Soxfanspcu11
04-06-2006, 11:22 AM

That was like 10 feet away from us. That dude in the long hair was throwing punches at the security. They finally grabbed him by the hair, shoved him down and smashed his face into the pavement! Good stuff! Anyone know what started it??

Dadawg_77
04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
That's if Gene Honda is even there any more. On Tues, all we got was Tom Schaer.

Also, I was really pleased to see neither of the Jndians home-run balls tossed back. All around us, all you could hear was 'don't throw it', but around where the balls landed, people were urging that they be thrown back. Must be some kind of localized insanity...

Gene does the PA work for the Final Four, and while he was back for Sunday's game. Tues may have been a bit too early in the day for him after Monday's Championship game.

PaulDrake
04-06-2006, 12:09 PM
\

Check the Whats the Score section about this. Just let me compliment you on your extensive photo album which I browse every now and then as time permits. Your description of the incident was pretty good too. Have you thought about a career change as a journalist? :D:

DumpJerry
04-06-2006, 02:10 PM
If I ever get to sit in the beachers, I'm sorry, The Bud Lite Bleachers, during a Sox/Cubs game at The Urinal again and a Cubs' homer (somehow) lands in my lap, I'll throw about 20 of those fake balls they use on the field. Take that minor league fans!:D:

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Maybe that needs to be a grinder rule or a jumbotron msg "This isnt wrigley" and just an image of like oh henry bars and baseballs on the field

TheDarkGundam
04-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe that needs to be a grinder rule or a jumbotron msg "This isnt wrigley" and just an image of like oh henry bars and baseballs on the field
If I may,
Grinder Rule 58. Don't throw back a home run ball.
(Plain and simple)
The List (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/grinder_rules.jsp)

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
If I may,
Grinder Rule 58. Don't throw back a home run ball.
(Plain and simple)
The List (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/grinder_rules.jsp)

Was that ever ran as a comercial? I couldnt see a positive way of showcasing an opponants HR

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I bought the 2006 Yearbook at Wednesday's Game and I found this in the "Soxtionary" on page 140:

" Home Run Balls
Unlike the practice at other ballparks, Sox fans realize they're catching history when they catch home run balls--even if they came off the bat of a visiting player. If you catch one, keep it--or give it to a kid near you. Never, under any circumstances, throw it back. "

I think some of the fans that were in Right Field need to review this. I felt like I was at Wrigley...

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 10:33 PM
I bought the 2006 Yearbook at Wednesday's Game and I found this in the "Soxtionary" on page 140:

" Home Run Balls
Unlike the practice at other ballparks, Sox fans realize they're catching history when they catch home run balls--even if they came off the bat of a visiting player. If you catch one, keep it--or give it to a kid near you. Never, under any circumstances, throw it back. "

I think some of the fans that were in Right Field need to review this. I felt like I was at Wrigley...

Exactly, i recall a while ago i was at a cubs game(yes i awas and hell, im a baseball fan second, so i enjoy any game) and i nearly caught a sosa homer(this was before his juicing 60+ shots) but some jagbag spilled beer on me as i went for it over my head

SSN721
04-07-2006, 07:00 AM

" Home Run Balls

You should sign a form before entering your seats in the outfield noting you have read and understood the terms stated in the Soxtianary. :smile: Not in teal, whatever it takes to get idiots to not do it, or at least to allow decent punishment to be handed down for doing it.