PDA

View Full Version : April 5th experience.. Did you get your trophy??

lizard6king6
04-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Without making a long story I just wanted to say today at the game was pretty cool besides the ending of course. I got there at 11 and stood in line and recieved a trophy no problem. What was funny I saw single people with 3 or more tickets just for them. Since it was one trophy per ticket people were walking away with how many tickets they had. Some had bags full of tropys!!! What was even worse, you can see them walk in grab their trophys and then walk out of the stadium with the bag! Unless they reentered wih one of the several tickets they had.This pissed me off, taking away the trophy from people who truly wanted it.
The ceremony they had beofre the game was nice and cheesy but it was still touching. Big banners saying thank you white sox fans and having apparicio, baines, pierce, and minoso walk out with the trophy. The trophy was then put by the store in the lower level and I had my picture taken with it (no waiting by the way, walked right up to it). As we walked back to our seats I saw Minnie Minoso walking around the concourse. It was funny because no one noticed him but I did said hi, took a picture and was actually able to touch the world series ring he was wearing. Yes, its even nicer in person. Even though we lost it was fun and I guess theres goes my short story :redface:
Only problems today were:
trophy problem I mentioned earlier
How empty the place was after the 4th inning or so and even worse after the 8th
Drunk fans and the worst was walking into some of the bathrooms and being in a cloud of smoke since smokers think they can smoke there.
Dont mean to bitch about a great day but I thought I share with everyone.

jenn2080
04-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Without making a long story I just wanted to say today at the game was pretty cool besides the ending of course. I got there at 11 and stood in line and recieved a trophy no problem. What was funny I saw single people with 3 or more tickets just for them. Since it was one trophy per ticket people were walking away with how many tickets they had. Some had bags full of tropys!!! What was even worse, you can see them walk in grab their trophys and then walk out of the stadium with the bag! Unless they reentered wih one of the several tickets they had.This pissed me off, taking away the trophy from people who truly wanted it.
The ceremony they had beofre the game was nice and cheesy but it was still touching. Big banners saying thank you white sox fans and having apparicio, baines, pierce, and minoso walk out with the trophy. The trophy was then put by the store in the lower level and I had my picture taken with it (no waiting by the way, walked right up to it). As we walked back to our seats I saw Minnie Minoso walking around the concourse. It was funny because no one noticed him but I did said hi, took a picture and was actually able to touch the world series ring he was wearing. Yes, its even nicer in person. Even though we lost it was fun and I guess theres goes my short story :redface:
Only problems today were:
trophy problem I mentioned earlier
How empty the place was after the 4th inning or so and even worse after the 8th
Drunk fans and the worst was walking into some of the bathrooms and being in a cloud of smoke since smokers think they can smoke there.
Dont mean to bitch about a great day but I thought I share with everyone.

I got mine by surprise. Got in line around 11:30ish. I did see tons of people leaving the stadium after they got their trophies. You bet you will see them on ebay. JERKS!! There were so many real fans in my section that didnt get theirs. Makes me mad but nothin we can do about it.

NoNeckEra
04-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I got mine by surprise. Got in line around 11:30ish. I did see tons of people leaving the stadium after they got their trophies. You bet you will see them on ebay. JERKS!! There were so many real fans in my section that didnt get theirs. Makes me mad but nothin we can do about it.
Why do you just assume that these people who didn't stay for the game, or who brought multiple tix for multiple trophies are "jerks"?
Your "real fans" in your section who didn't get one obviously weren't "real" enough fans to get to the park early enough to get a trophy, when everyone knew they were in limited supply.

BV2005
04-05-2006, 11:45 PM
the trophys are going for about $50 on ebay if anyones curious.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Why do you just assume that these people who didn't stay for the game, or who brought multiple tix for multiple trophies are "jerks"?
Your "real fans" in your section who didn't get one obviously weren't "real" enough fans to get to the park early enough to get a trophy, when everyone knew they were in limited supply.

So are you defending people that go to the park not for the game and for the handouts and don't stay for the game thus eating tickets and taking goodseats away from people that might want them?

kninchicago
04-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I tailgated today (didn't really care if I got the trophy or not, I have so many WS mementos already), and saw first hand someone who stood in line for a trophy and then asked us to move a chair so he could leave. He only had one trophy but it's still like, that was kinda lame.

lizard6king6
04-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I tailgated today (didn't really care if I got the trophy or not, I have so many WS mementos already), and saw first hand someone who stood in line for a trophy and then asked us to move a chair so he could leave. He only had one trophy but it's still like, that was kinda lame.

I saw 3 guys tailgating by gate 5 and they didnt care. Maybe it was you? Either way, its nice to see some people who didnt care and were there for a good time and a ball game. The trophy was just an added bonus for me!

Gosox1917
04-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I got mine, got to the ballpark around 11:50 and they still had a few boxes full of them. When I got there everyone that received their little trophies seemed to up the escalators to the game. The ceremony was nice, it was the first time I've actually seen the trophy live so that was awesome. By the way, is anyone else's little flags starting to fall out of their trophy already?

RealMenWearBlack
04-06-2006, 12:32 AM
My friend got there at about noon and I was surprised that he got a trophy. Also, I didn't realize that they forgot to give me a scratch card until they announced that it was Win a Jersey Wednesday over the PA. I probably would have just won 20% off U.S. Cellular accessories, but it was still a little disappointing. Overall, I'm really content in the quality of the ring and the trophy.

RealMenWearBlack
04-06-2006, 12:36 AM
So are you defending people that go to the park not for the game and for the handouts and don't stay for the game thus eating tickets and taking goodseats away from people that might want them?

The game wasn't sold out. I even checked what tickets were available for a friend who was considering going and their were still lower deck seats the morning of the game.

kninchicago
04-06-2006, 12:43 AM
I saw 3 guys tailgating by gate 5 and they didnt care. Maybe it was you? Either way, its nice to see some people who didnt care and were there for a good time and a ball game. The trophy was just an added bonus for me!

Hee, thanks but I'm female! We were out in the parking lot south of 37th (green pass).

MUsoxfan
04-06-2006, 12:47 AM
The game wasn't sold out. I even checked what tickets were available for a friend who was considering going and their were still lower deck seats the morning of the game.

Even so...

I saw at least 3 people grab trophies and then go immediately out the turnstiles. Real dedicated fans. Those are the scumbags making money on eBay right now from a nice gesture from the Sox.

Frankfan4life
04-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Even so...

I saw at least 3 people grab trophies and then go immediately out the turnstiles. Real dedicated fans. Those are the scumbags making money on eBay right now from a nice gesture from the Sox. Everybody who had more than one trophy is not necessarily a scumbag. I had an extra ticket. This being a day game, it was hard for some people to get off work to go. I got to the ball park about 11:20. I thought about trying to sell my extra ticket outside the stadium, but then I might have missed getting a trophy. So, I went through the line twice. I stood next to a guy my first time in line who already had a trophy and was doing the same thing. I'm going to give my trophy to one of my co-workers who's a real big Sox fan but he had to work today.

P.S. I stayed for the whole game, too!

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2006, 01:26 AM
You can call this sour grapes from someone who couldn't even attend the game, let alone get a trophy, but does anyone else think they look a little...dorky? :cower:

I've actually thought this since photos of the trophies first appeared a few days ago. I think it's the cartoonishly-large pennants at the top. Couldn't they have made these replicas to scale, with proportionally-sized flags, or does the material make this impossible (I assume they're made of plastic, but correct me if I'm wrong)?

Maybe they should have promoted this as the "World Series Trophy Bobblehead" giveaway.

Yes, I am jealous. :tongue:

MUsoxfan
04-06-2006, 01:30 AM
You can call this sour grapes from someone who couldn't even attend the game, let alone get a trophy, but does anyone else think they look a little...dorky? :cower:

I've actually thought this since photos of the trophies first appeared a few days ago. I think it's the cartoonishly-large pennants at the top. Couldn't they have made these replicas to scale, with proportionally-sized flags, or does the material make this impossible (I assume they're made of plastic, but correct me if I'm wrong)?

Maybe they should have promoted this as the "World Series Trophy Bobblehead" giveaway.

Yes, I am jealous. :tongue:

They're nice. There are some plastic parts but it has alot of weight to it. It's definitely a nice thing to have and I think it was a great giveaway

Frankfan4life
04-06-2006, 01:36 AM

Yes, I am jealous. :tongue:I totally agree with you. The pennants are too big and they are made out of plastic. Otherwise, it's a very smart-looking trophy. You can still get one, depending upon how bad you want one.

World Series Bobblehead Trophy! :D:

Buon Pasqua
04-06-2006, 02:03 AM
i'm not as much bothered by the fact that i didn't get a trophy since i only got to the park about 45 minutes before game time, but no magnetic schedules? those were supposed to go to everyone!
and does this mean any time the sox give away something cool you'll have to get to the park hours before game time? as much as i love the sox it's a little bit much. and while i think people who pay for the seats should get the giveaways that go with them, it still bums you out if you don't get one and you see people walking around with bags full of them.

VenturaFan23
04-06-2006, 08:58 AM
So many people on this bored get so excited over situations and make assumptions that aren't necessarily true. I was in line at 9:30 am yesterday and was next to a man who was a life long fan, went to many games throughout the season, but had to work at noon yesterday. He wanted his trophy either way so he said he showed up to get the trophy but was unable to stay for the game. Why would you criticize someone for that? Why must everyone assume that the people who showed up just to get the trophy are "scumbags" who want to sell them on ebay? I also had a bag full of trophies but that was because I was carrying mine, my dad's and my friends. People were making comments as I was walking around about scamming the system and entering three times to get three trophies when that wasn't the case at all. See what I mean about assumptions. Also, with regards to the leaving half way into the game complaints, people who were not sitting in the shade throughout the whole game have no idea how cold it was. Since I was at the two previous games I knew to dress warm even though it was supposed to be 60 out, but there were so many people there in just a jersey or a sweatshirt. I felt bad for the people that were shivering so bad that it was rocking the seats. There were a lot of kids in our section who were freezing and as a result their parents took them home. I'm sure more people left because of the weather than because they aren't "dedicated fans." I used to really enjoy coming to this page, but lately there has been so much people/fan bashing that it is rediculous. That's probably why my boyfriend posts under this name way more than I do. :(:

Deuce
04-06-2006, 09:07 AM
i'm not as much bothered by the fact that i didn't get a trophy since i only got to the park about 45 minutes before game time, but no magnetic schedules? those were supposed to go to everyone!
and does this mean any time the sox give away something cool you'll have to get to the park hours before game time? as much as i love the sox it's a little bit much. and while i think people who pay for the seats should get the giveaways that go with them, it still bums you out if you don't get one and you see people walking around with bags full of them.

i am more bothered by the fact that you don't use capital letters at the start of a sentence and with the word "i" than whether you received a magnetic schedule. it hurts my brain.

http://www.eths.k12.il.us/manual_of_form_and_style/capitalization.html

deuce

TomBradley72
04-06-2006, 09:08 AM
So many people on this bored get so excited over situations and make assumptions that aren't necessarily true. I was in line at 9:30 am yesterday and was next to a man who was a life long fan, went to many games throughout the season, but had to work at noon yesterday. He wanted his trophy either way so he said he showed up to get the trophy but was unable to stay for the game. Why would you criticize someone for that? Why must everyone assume that the people who showed up just to get the trophy are "scumbags" who want to sell them on ebay? I also had a bag full of trophies but that was because I was carrying mine, my dad's and my friends. People were making comments as I was walking around about scamming the system and entering three times to get three trophies when that wasn't the case at all. See what I mean about assumptions. Also, with regards to the leaving half way into the game complaints, people who were not sitting in the shade throughout the whole game have no idea how cold it was. Since I was at the two previous games I knew to dress warm even though it was supposed to be 60 out, but there were so many people there in just a jersey or a sweatshirt. I felt bad for the people that were shivering so bad that it was rocking the seats. There were a lot of kids in our section who were freezing and as a result their parents took them home. I'm sure more people left because of the weather than because they aren't "dedicated fans." I used to really enjoy coming to this page, but lately there has been so much people/fan bashing that it is rediculous. That's probably why my boyfriend posts under this name way more than I do. :(:

I agree. If you have a job or family responsibilities that cause you to leave early...you're not a real fan. If you've only followed the WSox since last year..you're a BWJ..not a real fan. If you can't see the difference between two relievers in the bullpen from the UD....you're not a real fan. You can't achieve 3 million in attendance through diehards alone...all of these additonal fans are helping us afford a $100MM payroll. And a percentage of them will become diehards over time (I hope they realize what they are getting themselves into!). We've been asking people for years to give the Southdiders a chance...now that they are...we start ripping on the newbies.

cbotnyse
04-06-2006, 09:21 AM
There has been alot of fan bashing lately but if someone is coming to the park just to get their hands on as many trophies (or rings) as possible just to sell them and not care about the game, that is a scumbag in my book, because there are many many fans out there that want those replicas and never sell them....not too mention enjoy the game itself!

but I think that percentage of "scumbag" people is small...if a fan had to work wednesday, just going to the park to get a trophy is impressive,(as long as they dont sell it) even if he/she couldnt stay for the game.

ewokpelts
04-06-2006, 09:22 AM
I had to pick some extra patio passes for the game, and was in the lobby. So they let me enter the park through the handicapped entrance(w/ elevator). No tonly did I get a trophy, but they let me get trophies for the two tickets i wasnt able to sell. AND! on the scratch off card? All three were for 2 free tickets.
Too bad the sox played like the cubs yesterday.

Gene

p.s. got to see the real rings (on hawk, aparacio, and my ticket rep) as i was waiting to get in. As well as the real trophy(there's two of them, kiddies) and the al trophy as well(there's a ws display in the main lobby). Oddly enough, they have a konerko jersey there, but i dont think it's authentic(has the ws logo patch, but also the little champions patch that was added on merch after the ws).

oeo
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Yeah, people that buy the ticket for the trophy and not the game are the real fans. :rolleyes:

ws05champs
04-06-2006, 10:02 AM

They are far nicer than the photo made them look. The thickness of the flags is out of proportion (necessary or they would be too delicate) and the flag color is more like copper than gold - nothing that a bit of gold paint can't fix.

The worst thing I saw was someone in full Cubs gear walking through the turnstyle with one. I can sure understand Sox fans not being able to stay for the game this guy was a pure ass.

IspepAloc
04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Got there around 11:45 and didn't get any. A little disappointed, but I have the ring from the first day. I think the bobblehead trophy looks pretty cool, sans the $25 price tag. When's the WS stuff gonna be half off?

rookieroy
04-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Everybody who had more than one trophy is not necessarily a scumbag. I had an extra ticket. This being a day game, it was hard for some people to get off work to go. I got to the ball park about 11:20. I thought about trying to sell my extra ticket outside the stadium, but then I might have missed getting a trophy. So, I went through the line twice. I stood next to a guy my first time in line who already had a trophy and was doing the same thing. I'm going to give my trophy to one of my co-workers who's a real big Sox fan but he had to work today.

This was exactly the same situation I was in yesterday. I would written the above the same way. My friend who was there Sunday and Tuesday had to work yesterday and he will be getting the other trophy.

The talk of "real fans" crap is just silly. I'm not a seller and let's not all assume that these sellers are not "real fans". How about the buyer for an item like that at $150.00 is more of a real fan than you being at the game yesterday? Just silly.

Blob
04-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Everybody who had more than one trophy is not necessarily a scumbag. I had an extra ticket. This being a day game, it was hard for some people to get off work to go. I got to the ball park about 11:20. I thought about trying to sell my extra ticket outside the stadium, but then I might have missed getting a trophy. So, I went through the line twice. I stood next to a guy my first time in line who already had a trophy and was doing the same thing. I'm going to give my trophy to one of my co-workers who's a real big Sox fan but he had to work today.

I did the same thing. I went through the line twice. My brother bought a ticket and at the last minute he could not go because of work. So I got his trophy for him.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I did the same thing. I went through the line twice. My brother bought a ticket and at the last minute he could not go because of work. So I got his trophy for him.

I had an extra ticket and debated going through twice but instead opted to bank the ticket for one of the season ticket holder exchange dates.

southsidesoxfan1
04-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Got in line at gate 5 at around 11:30 and got my trophy. Thought I might be SOL, with how long the lines were, but when I got to the front of the line, there still were several unopened boxes. Getting the trophy made up for the freezing winds and the 11 inning loss.

Jerko
04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I saw many people there with multiple trophies, but it's not worth getting your undies in a bunch over. Unless you get there early, there is no way you're going to get all the giveaways. I got to the ring game at 12:30 or so, and did not expect to get a ring. I also did not expect to see people at 12:45 coming DOWN the stadium club elevators to the ground level to bitch to the ticket scanners that they didn't get a ring. I applaud whoever went thru those lines twice, I would not have had the patience. I saw a huge guy with 3 trophies, he could have been holding them for someone.

skottyj242
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I got down to the game at 11:35ish and walked right into gate 5, got a trophy with no problem.

NoNeckEra
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
I saw at least 3 people grab trophies and then go immediately out the turnstiles. Real dedicated fans. Those are the scumbags making money on eBay right now from a nice gesture from the Sox.
Please post a list of standards that one must follow to be a "real" Sox fan. That way we can avoid the wrath of so called "COTC".
I haven't checked, but if 20 trophies show up on ebay, that's 1 in every thousand. And don't you think the "promotion company" that contracted with the Sox had any extras and those folks are the ones putting them on ebay. Think before typing.

FP_sox
04-06-2006, 01:34 PM
I thought people wen to the game to watch baseball, not for a little kids toy. :rolleyes: I understand that the giveaways are cool, hell I like my trophy and now display it on my office desk.

I think the real reason for a giveaway is to attract more fans early. If everyone got a giveaway no one would hurry to get in early. And when more people are early the park make more money on food and beer and there is less traffic.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Please post a list of standards that one must follow to be a "real" Sox fan. That way we can avoid the wrath of so called "COTC".
I haven't checked, but if 20 trophies show up on ebay, that's 1 in every thousand. And don't you think the "promotion company" that contracted with the Sox had any extras and those folks are the ones putting them on ebay. Think before typing.

Yep. There is no way that any of us could know their intentions. For all we know, they took of work without pay, bought tickets, scored trophies for themselves and their families and then had to get back to work without even being able to enjoy the game. No dedication at all.

woodenleg
04-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Well, if you've waited all your life for a trophy, you wouldn't sell it on ebay, would you?

You only need ONE. What does three trophies from the same year on your mantle say? Unless they're taking them for family....

Especially since we could win one again this year - the honest way.

:smile:

thepaulbowski
04-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Even so...

I thought about doing that yesterday during my lunch hour because I had already taken time off for the game the day before. I guess that would have made me a scumbag.

People are on E-Bay making money from the trophy that Sox promoted to help bring people to the park to make money. I would never but anything like that on Ebay, some people do & it doesn't really bother me.

pythons007
04-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I got in line about 930 and there were about 50 people in front of me. I wanted one of the trophies but mostly wanted to sit above the Bullpen Sports Bar because my tickets were in the upperdeck. I'm glad I got there early because those things go fast!

NoNeckEra
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I got in line about 930 and there were about 50 people in front of me. I wanted one of the trophies but mostly wanted to sit above the Bullpen Sports Bar because my tickets were in the upperdeck. I'm glad I got there early because those things go fast!
How quickly has the bullpen sports bar seating and centerfield terrace been filling up? I got to the last two games at 11:45 and couldn't get seated.

pythons007
04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
How quickly has the bullpen sports bar seating and centerfield terrace been filling up? I got to the last two games at 11:45 and couldn't get seated.

Like I said, there were 50 people in front of me when Gate 2 opened to get in. When I finally got to the Sports Bar half of the tickets were already sold. So at 11:00am half of them were gone and probably in the next 10-30 minutes the others had to have been sold. Gate 2 had a line all the way to the back fence of the parking lot. I'm glad I got there when I did.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I thought people wen to the game to watch baseball, not for a little kids toy. :rolleyes: I understand that the giveaways are cool, hell I like my trophy and now display it on my office desk.

http://www.nbc.com/photos/Primetime/The_Office/2OFFabN05.jpg (http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/photo/50.shtml#photo)

Nothing is cooler than my bobble head collection including my Mike Leiberthal bobblehead featured here and on this video (at the 1 minute mark):

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/office_dwight.shtml#video

No office tonight. :whiner:

Ten mini episodes to be released online this summer:

http://publications.mediapost.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=41097

:supernana:

MUsoxfan
04-06-2006, 07:08 PM

I would think that a real fan would go to the park to watch a baseball game as opposed to grabbing a toy and immediately running for the hills. It saddens me that many of those probably had really good tickets that went to waste.

200 trophies on eBay this second. Many sellers asking as much as $250. Oh, the wonderful world of fleecing people

HomeFish
04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I got there at 12:20 and, to my surprise, got a trophy. Got to love Gate 5.

A guy sitting in front of me sold his trophy for $23 to the guy sitting next to him.

NoNeckEra
04-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I would think that a real fan would go to the park to watch a baseball game as opposed to grabbing a toy and immediately running for the hills. It saddens me that many of those probably had really good tickets that went to waste.

200 trophies on eBay this second. Many sellers asking as much as $250. Oh, the wonderful world of fleecing people
1) If you were at the game, you'd notice the place was maybe half full at its peak, even though ticket sales were 33,000+. Does that mean all those no shows and early departures were doing a diservice to "true" fans, and should be ashamed of themselves?
2) What about all the tickets on ebay for the opening series going for $250+? Is that OK?
3) If you have season tickets, and percentage-wise, most tickets for these opening games were season tickets, aren't you entitled to as many "toys" as you have tickets, if you get there early enough? Plus, in the case of full ST holders, they have 81 games. Yes, giveaways are more special than the April 18 game vs K.C.

Hendu
04-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Those things look pretty cool, but not worth what they're going for on ebay. Not even close.

I'm happy with the replica ring Mrs Hendu got (I wasn't able to leave work early enough to get one for myself). Now we have to figure out a good way to display it next to all the other championship stuff we bought. :smile:

Steelrod
04-06-2006, 07:58 PM
My friend got there at about noon and I was surprised that he got a trophy. Also, I didn't realize that they forgot to give me a scratch card until they announced that it was Win a Jersey Wednesday over the PA. I probably would have just won 20% off U.S. Cellular accessories, but it was still a little disappointing. Overall, I'm really content in the quality of the ring and the trophy.
My daughter won the Konerko jersey. It was cute to watch her cry! The guys after her got Cora.

MUsoxfan
04-06-2006, 08:02 PM
3) If you have season tickets, and percentage-wise, most tickets for these opening games were season tickets, aren't you entitled to as many "toys" as you have tickets, if you get there early enough? Plus, in the case of full ST holders, they have 81 games. Yes, giveaways are more special than the April 18 game vs K.C.

I'm not saying that each ticket is not worth a "toy". My issue was not with how many trophies people had because if they had 4, 6 or 12 tickets they should have gotten that many trophies. However, my issue is with people that went to the park with zero intention of going to the game. My issue is with people that walked in...had the trophy(s) handed to them, then made an immediate exit out of the turnstile. Give the tickets to people that want to see the game and have them give you the trophy in return.

NoNeckEra
04-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm not saying that each ticket is not worth a "toy". My issue was not with how many trophies people had because if they had 4, 6 or 12 tickets they should have gotten that many trophies. However, my issue is with people that went to the park with zero intention of going to the game. My issue is with people that walked in...had the trophy(s) handed to them, then made an immediate exit out of the turnstile. Give the tickets to people that want to see the game and have them give you the trophy in return.
Not a bad concept, but hard to administer.

ewokpelts
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Not a bad concept, but hard to administer.not really.....you cant gather 4-5 friends and tell them...free game if you give me your trophy?
Gene

Brian26
04-06-2006, 09:08 PM
not really.....you cant gather 4-5 friends and tell them...free game if you give me your trophy?
Gene

On a Wednesday at 1pm? When many people already took the day off the previous day? Harder than you think.

soxfanreggie
04-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, people are getting all riled up over a cheap souveneir. Is a small plastic/metal trophy and metal ring (both of which will get dinged up and lose their luster) worth it? C'mon Sox fans, we're better than this. I look at it this way-I'm disappointed to see hundreds of trophies and rings on e-bay, but I figure that I'm happier that we won the series and are selling tickets like hotcakes to help maintain our team! If you didn't get one this year, wait til the demand goes off of them or get one next year :D:

I remember we had a bobblehead day at my school. One of my friends was the mascot that the bobbleheads were made in honor of. He actually went and bought 20 tickets for us, his friends to attend the game-not even caring if we got a bobblehead or not. His family lives far away and don't travel to see him at school because his mom is very sick. Well, a bunch of us got together and gave him our bobbleheads after the game to give to his family who couldn't be there. It meant so much more to him; however, as he was walking out with them, some lady ripped him a new one for "stealing from the children." Everyone she was with had a bobblehead. I could not keep my cool and yelled to her to shut her yap. I then explained how his mother was sick and in a different state and she was talking to the person the bobblehead was of. I told her the bobbleheads were ours but we insisted that he give them to his family. I think she learned a lesson not to open her yapper when she didn't know what was completely going on.

thepaulbowski
04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
My daughter won the Konerko jersey. It was cute to watch her cry! The guys after her got Cora.

That's really awesome! I'm sure that is something she will never forget.

thepaulbowski
04-07-2006, 08:40 AM

What's your beef here, the game wasn't sold out? If somebody wanted to be a true fan and just go to the game they could have. If you have a ticket to the game you can go for as long as you want or don't want. You can show up just to watch batting practice, each three churros & drink two beers then leave when the first pitch is thrown. You can leave in fourth inning because you have to go to work. You can stay the whole game. It sounds like you are bitching just to bitch.

Steelrod
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
That's really awesome! I'm sure that is something she will never forget.
I always assumed the contests were bogus, but boy was I wrong. I will all of you the same luck next wednesday game!

VenturaFan23
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
What's your beef here, the game wasn't sold out? If somebody wanted to be a true fan and just go to the game they could have. If you have a ticket to the game you can go for as long as you want or don't want. You can show up just to watch batting practice, each three churros & drink two beers then leave when the first pitch is thrown. You can leave in fourth inning because you have to go to work. You can stay the whole game. It sounds like you are bitching just to bitch.

Agreed.

Sad
04-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately, people are getting all riled up over a cheap souveneir. Is a small plastic/metal trophy and metal ring (both of which will get dinged up and lose their luster) worth it?

nope-

it's a nice gesture by the White SOX handing this stuff out, but we always opt to tailgate rather than stand in line for an hour and a half for some trinket...:rolleyes:

ewokpelts
04-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Well this thread prove to me one thing:

The Scratch off contest is messed up.
I got three srcatch offs that each won 2 tickets.
And another poster gets the konerko jersey, but the guys after him get the cora.
It looks like there's one or two "winning" packets of scratch offs, and the rest are bogus. No random distro at all.
Gene

vegyrex
04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I didn't get a trophy and I got there before 12. :(:

NoNeckEra
04-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I didn't get a trophy and I got there before 12. :(:
I got both a trophy and ring, but only because I basically blew off both days from work and battled traffic to get to the Cell at 11:30. I'm glad I won't have to worry about early arrivals every game--too nerve wracking in traffic worrying about getting to a baseball stadium so I don't get shut out of a souvenir.:o:

Steelrod
04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Well this thread prove to me one thing:

The Scratch off contest is messed up.
I got three sratch offs that each won 2 tickets.
And another poster gets the konerko jersey, but the guys after him get the cora.
It looks liek there's one or two "winning" packets of scratch offs, and teh rest are bogus. No randon distro at all.
Gene
You misunderstood. The guy behind was collecting his prize in the 9th inning. They did not enter at the same time or even the same gate.

ewokpelts
04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
You misunderstood. The guy behind was collecting his prize in the 9th inning. They did not enter at the same time or even the same gate.My bad.
But the free tickets arent mixed in.
Gene

mcg
04-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Does anyone else's trophy have 31 flags? :?:

spiffie
04-07-2006, 05:26 PM
I always assumed the contests were bogus, but boy was I wrong.
Not all of them, just the Sox Split Raffle. No one ever wins that.

MikeKreevich
04-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I got my trophy. A friend had tickets and I didn't know about the trophy until the day of the game. I have already sold it for $50.. It was cheaply made and was probably destined for a dresser drawer. I went on ebay today and saw trophys going for up to $95.. It seems that some entrepreneurs must have boxes of trophys and rings. What new!

VenturaFan23
04-07-2006, 11:49 PM
My bad.
But the free tickets arent mixed in.
Gene

I think that's true too...There were three people in my group and all of us won 2 free tickets including the group of people after us. We went in through Gate 5. Last season I always went through Gate 5 as well but always got the 20% off coupon.

Soxfanspcu11
04-09-2006, 04:18 PM
If you were sitting around section 125 and got your trophy stolen by some scumbag, I know who done it! Let me know if you are here.