PDA

View Full Version : mlbtv.com for macs.

chisox
04-05-2006, 04:17 PM
i've spent the entire game trying to configure my comp to get the game...and keep getting the same damn error message, "file path can not be found". i've tried all of the trouble shooting tips on mlbs.com's page. any of you guys having the same problem? solutions?

p.s. i'm in ny right now, so i know the game isn't blacked out.

saltwater farmer
04-05-2006, 05:49 PM
You'll need to open a Windows Media Player before clicking on the audio or video links from MLB (or WSCR, for that matter) to access them on a Mac.

One other thing: I had trouble downloading the free Windows player until I downloaded the upgrade for Stuffit expander (also free).

scottyl
04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
See if you can set your media player preferences to Real.

Also, I had to disable Flip4Mac (handles Windows Media in Quicktime).

chisox
04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
saltwater: i've tried that without any luck. i'm tearing my hair out here. every time an error message pops up that says file path not found. i've literally tried everything suggested on...help.

Malgar 12
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Apple announced today that they will allow you to run XP on a mac. So you can make the switch!:D:

chisox
04-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Apple announced today that they will allow you to run XP on a mac. So you can make the switch!:D:

yeah, except i would have to buy a new mac...which at this point, is not something i can afford to do. any techies out there know how to remedy this problem?

saltwater farmer
04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
saltwater: i've tried that without any luck. i'm tearing my hair out here. every time an error message pops up that says file path not found. i've literally tried everything suggested on...help.

If you're a Sox Pride club member, try contacting the customer service folks there, since the audio is part of your membership (their number is at the bottom of the sox pride home page). Or give Apple tech support a call, if you're under warranty: 800-275-2273

gsang
04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I cant take it! I was at work- We get NO radio signal so I NEED this radio, whoever figures this out would be god in my country..

Evman5
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM
i've spent the entire game trying to configure my comp to get the game...and keep getting the same damn error message, "file path can not be found". i've tried all of the trouble shooting tips on mlbs.com's page. any of you guys having the same problem? solutions?

p.s. i'm in ny right now, so i know the game isn't blacked out.

I've had the exact same problem...I am going to try some of the suggestions from this thread then report back.

scottyl
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM
What browser are you using?

I've got it working just fine in Safari, but you might want to give Firefox a try.

Evman5
04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
You'll need to open a Windows Media Player before clicking on the audio or video links from MLB (or WSCR, for that matter) to access them on a Mac.

One other thing: I had trouble downloading the free Windows player until I downloaded the upgrade for Stuffit expander (also free).

If you open windows media player then click on an mlbtv link it doesnt play on Windows media player....The MLB.com media player just pops up and then I get the error message.

Evman5
04-06-2006, 11:01 PM

I've got it working just fine in Safari, but you might want to give Firefox a try.

I tried it on safari and on firefox....it just says connecting for a long time and eventually the error message the was described above pops up.

scottyl
04-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I tried it on safari and on firefox....it just says connecting for a long time and eventually the error message the was described above pops up.

What type of Mac do you have (operating system -- PowerPC or Intel, etc.)?

Evman5
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
What type of Mac do you have (operating system -- PowerPC or Intel, etc.)?

A less than year old...powerbook with mac osx tiger i beileve

chisox
04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
A less than year old...powerbook with mac osx tiger i beileve

you probably have a powerpc mac. the intel ones are only a couple months old. i'm still trying to futz with this thing...i'll let you guys know if i figure anything out.

Evman5
04-07-2006, 12:52 AM
you probably have a powerpc mac. the intel ones are only a couple months old. i'm still trying to futz with this thing...i'll let you guys know if i figure anything out.

It did work like twice for me that is the weird thing. It worked when I restarted my computer once and also during the last preseason game.

nug0hs
04-07-2006, 10:28 AM
www.protonic.com (http://www.protonic.com) has great tech support for any computer related issue..very fast responses and good techies, plus its FREE - You should look around the Microsoft Knowledge Base for W.M.P. for a little while as well.

Law11
04-07-2006, 11:51 AM

I have it open in Safari, forget explorer.
No issues. When I have had this issue Ive restarted my system and its worked.

chisox
04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
absoltuely nothing is working for me...

chisox
04-07-2006, 06:34 PM
wow. okay, i figured it out. i followed all of the instructions for configuring the media player, and still, nothing worked. in the end all i had to do was empty the cache.

Evman5
04-07-2006, 06:58 PM
wow. okay, i figured it out. i followed all of the instructions for configuring the media player, and still, nothing worked. in the end all i had to do was empty the cache.

Hey Chisox you think you can help me out? which media player are you configuring? The MLB one that pops up or can you get mlbtv to play on another media player

Fuller_Schettman
04-08-2006, 04:30 PM

To me, that would be like getting a penile attachment on your wife. What would be the point?

chisox
04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey Chisox you think you can help me out? which media player are you configuring? The MLB one that pops up or can you get mlbtv to play on another media player

i downloaded real and windows media then configured them according to the website...then i emptied the cache. let me know if you have any problems...

Evman5
04-08-2006, 08:22 PM
It is working for me....when you say clear the cache do you mean on my internet browser?
i downloaded real and windows media then configured them according to the website...then i emptied the cache. let me know if you have any problems...

chisox
04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
yeah, if you're using safari just go click on the safari tab and click on empty cache.

Evman5
04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
yeah, if you're using safari just go click on the safari tab and click on empty cache.

Still not working...again....I am going to try to download the lastest real player and windows media player I guess...but I am confused when you are talking about changing the settings on those. Can I change which one mlb.tv is using when it automatically pops up?

Is Windows Media PLayer 9 the latest for mac osx? I am pretty sure I just downloaded the latest real player for osx.

chisox
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
on mlbtv.com there's a trouble shooting section, follow those steps.

also, in safari empty the cache. then go the preferences and click on show cookies. then click remove all.

the next time you log in select real player as your player for mlbtv.com.

that should do it.

Evman5
04-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Well apparently I have exceeded the max logins so basically I am down for the count on trying to fix this problem today...I love missing Mark Buehrle masterpieces! How did MLB.TV know?

russ99
04-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Still not working...again....I am going to try to download the lastest real player and windows media player I guess...but I am confused when you are talking about changing the settings on those. Can I change which one mlb.tv is using when it automatically pops up?

Is Windows Media PLayer 9 the latest for mac osx? I am pretty sure I just downloaded the latest real player for osx.

Yeah, Media Player 9 is the latest - plus Microsoft announced that they won't release any more new Media Player versions for the Mac, which is only sour grapes due to iTunes music store competing with their service. Someone should sue their ass for breaking antitrust laws.

I use Real Player for all my video feeds, and MLB TV works fine. I use both Safari and Firefox, and both work great. Too bad MLB doesn't use Quicktime.

Unregistered
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Well apparently I have exceeded the max logins so basically I am down for the count on trying to fix this problem today...I love missing Mark Buehrle masterpieces! How did MLB.TV know?
Yeah, same here. Apparently 5 times in one day is too much. Idiots...

Evman5
04-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Thank you everybody for your help so far...I feel like I am close to getting this fixed..

SouthSideSoxFan
04-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I have it working on my Apple PowerMac G4. I'm not entirely sure what I did that finally did it, but:

- updated OS X to 10.4.6 (updates Safari to 2.0.3 - 417.9.2)
- updated Macromedia Flash to 8,0,24,0
- updated Flip4Mac WMV to 2.0.2.10
- set Flip4Mac WMV Internet plug-in settings:

check "Use Flip4Mac..."
check "Launch QuickTime Player"

Quit Safari, quit QuickTime.

Then, when I go to any MLB.TV link from Safari, it opens the MLB.TV window, and then launches a separate QuickTime Player with the video. Sometimes the video starts odd-sized, so I have to go to View, Actual Size from the menu bar, but it works fine and seems to be happier in the background than the old Microsoft Windows Media Player for Mac OS X.

A plus of running it from the QuickTime player is that I can open multiple MLB.TV streams and watch a bunch of games at one.

:bandance:

Evman5
04-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I have it working on my Apple PowerMac G4. I'm not entirely sure what I did that finally did it, but:

- updated OS X to 10.4.6 (updates Safari to 2.0.3 - 417.9.2)
- updated Macromedia Flash to 8,0,24,0
- updated Flip4Mac WMV to 2.0.2.10
- set Flip4Mac WMV Internet plug-in settings:

check "Use Flip4Mac..."
check "Launch QuickTime Player"

Quit Safari, quit QuickTime.

Then, when I go to any MLB.TV link from Safari, it opens the MLB.TV window, and then launches a separate QuickTime Player with the video. Sometimes the video starts odd-sized, so I have to go to View, Actual Size from the menu bar, but it works fine and seems to be happier in the background than the old Microsoft Windows Media Player for Mac OS X.

A plus of running it from the QuickTime player is that I can open multiple MLB.TV streams and watch a bunch of games at one.

:bandance:

You are my savior!!!:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

Fuller_Schettman
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Seems like the video quality is MUCH better via QuickTime also! Even Fullscreen!

Evman5
04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Do you have to wait for the entire game to download...to watch it after it is over? Also it talked about improving video quality for real player and windows media player on the mlb tv help website. What do I need to do using quicktime?

And can I delete real player and windows media player off my computer, I dont use them for anything else, now that I can use quicktime?
Seems like the video quality is MUCH better via QuickTime also! Even Fullscreen!

SouthSideSoxFan
04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Do you have to wait for the entire game to download...to watch it after it is over?
No, it streams games live. Archived games stream as well.

Also it talked about improving video quality for real player and windows media player on the mlb tv help website. What do I need to do using quicktime?
Video quality seems similar or perhaps slightly better than my year-old laptop running Windows, and noticeably better than running the old Microsoft Windows Media Player for OS X, especially if in the background. You can play with the Flip4Mac settings if you want to try and change the quality, but I didn't except for what I listed above.

And can I delete real player and windows media player off my computer, I dont use them for anything else, now that I can use quicktime?
I'd keep the Real Player around in case there is any other Real media content you run across. Every now and then, I use the old Microsoft Windows Media Player for OS X when Flip4Mac WMV can't play something, so I have left it around just in case. But neither seem to be required for MLB.TV if you use Flip4Mac WMV.

chisox
04-10-2006, 08:41 PM
the flip4mac is working seamlessly for me.

Revolution29
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Yeah, Media Player 9 is the latest - plus Microsoft announced that they won't release any more new Media Player versions for the Mac, which is only sour grapes due to iTunes music store competing with their service. Someone should sue their ass for breaking antitrust laws.

I use Real Player for all my video feeds, and MLB TV works fine. I use both Safari and Firefox, and both work great. Too bad MLB doesn't use Quicktime.

Actually, Microsoft just decided to support the Flip4Mac Quicktime plugin instead. Personally I like it a lot better than that crappy port of WMP which never seemed to work for me anyway.

Now if they'd only release that in a Universal Binary so that it would work on my MacBook Pro like it does on my Mini. :(:

Evman5
04-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Flip for Mac is also working great for me. I also upgraded to Quicktime Pro so I can watch in full screen. However, my feed doesnt seem to be coming in all to clearly. Especially compared to those screenshots you posted.

Maybe I am overrating it but SouthSideSox fan those look really nice!

SouthSideSoxFan
04-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Flip for Mac is also working great for me. I also upgraded to Quicktime Pro so I can watch in full screen. However, my feed doesnt seem to be coming in all to clearly. Especially compared to those screenshots you posted.

Maybe I am overrating it but SouthSideSox fan those look really nice!

Keep in mind those were not full screen, I was running in "Actual Size". It does noticeably amplify the pixelization of the video in "Double Size" or "Full Screen", but it's very watchable.

It looks like MLB.TV is about to introduce a six-game-at-a-time mosaic (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/subscriptions/mosaic.jsp) view. Hope it works on Macs!

mccoydp
04-11-2006, 03:42 PM
It looks like MLB.TV is about to introduce a six-game-at-a-time mosaic (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/subscriptions/mosaic.jsp) view. Hope it works on Macs!

I hope so (for Mac fans), but I doubt it. MLB.TV sold their soul to Microsoft before the season started. I had to tweak my MPlayer settings in Linux to finally get my games to play because of their stupid new and "improved" embedded media player.

Evman5
04-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Keep in mind those were not full screen, I was running in "Actual Size". It does noticeably amplify the pixelization of the video in "Double Size" or "Full Screen", but it's very watchable.

I realize this but even in actual size those screenshots looked like they had better resolution.

Also one last question. I think I am being charged a monthly rate for MLB TV. Is there any difference in content or access to downloaded games between the full season package and the mothly price? And is the mosaic available now?

SouthSideSoxFan
04-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I think I am being charged a monthly rate for MLB TV. Is there any difference in content or access to downloaded games between the full season package and the mothly price? And is the mosaic available now?

I was monthly last year, I paid for full season this year. Seems the same.

Mosaic wasn't up yet yesterday, but the announcement says mid-April, so maybe soon.

niqui
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
i just subbed to the audio feed on monday, and i couldn't get it working either (in firefox *or* safari, OS 10.3.9 -- same error message, file path can not be found"). but i updated to WMP 9 yesterday, ran system update this morning, and rebooted, and now it appears to be working -- well, at least i can get it to play the audio clip that says the stream isn't available yet because the game has yet to start. hopefully it won't break again in the next, oh, twenty minutes. 8)

hope that maybe helps someone else who's having troubles with streaming...