PDA

View Full Version : North in the booth

IlliniSox
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Mike North is in the booth right now with Farmer and Singleton: I know there was talk about him being part of the broadcasts, but is this a regular thing we have to expect???

Madvora
04-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Mike North is in the booth right now with Farmer and Singleton: I know there was talk about him being part of the broadcasts, but is this a regular thing we have to expect???
I would expect that. Promoting a Score guy.

SOXPHILE
04-05-2006, 02:06 PM
I wonder if he'll be giving away copies of his successful selling CD "Caucasian Man", along with a Mike North Morning Show t-shirt, a gift certificate to Basta Pasta, and an autographed picture of himself to Farmer & Singleton for having him as a guest in the booth. :rolleyes:

HotelWhiteSox
04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
He's been making a big deal about how he was going to the game today, probably not a regular thing

chaerulez
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I wonder if he'll be giving away copies of his successful selling CD "Caucasian Man", along with a Mike North Morning Show t-shirt, a gift certificate to Basta Pasta, and an autographed picture of himself to Farmer & Singleton for having him as a guest in the booth. :rolleyes:

His CD is so great. Everyone should listen to it.

If the Score wants to promote people they could at least use people with half a brain, like Holmes.

IlliniSox
04-05-2006, 03:09 PM
He's been making a big deal about how he was going to the game today, probably not a regular thing

I just thought he sounded like he was getting awfully comfortable there, sounding like he thought he was Steve Stone with an accent.

SOXPHILE
04-05-2006, 03:16 PM
His CD is so great. Everyone should listen to it.

If the Score wants to promote people they could at least use people with half a brain, like Holmes.

Ehh...I'm not that crazy about him either, but everyone's got different opinions. He does actually talks sports and is smarter and more articulate than North (that's not saying much !:tongue: ) What gets me about him is he is another one who sometimes acts as though he's doing us a favor by being on the radio. If a caller disagrees with him, he also talks LOUDLY down to them and is extremely condescending. He also spends alot of time giggling, and regaling us with stories about the females he's dated, and just what a lady killer he is out at the bars.

illinisox1
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM

*looks at your name*

chaerulez
04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Ehh...I'm not that crazy about him either, but everyone's got different opinions. He does actually talks sports and is smarter and more articulate than North (that's not saying much !:tongue: ) What gets me about him is he is another one who sometimes acts as though he's doing us a favor by being on the radio. If a caller disagrees with him, he also talks LOUDLY down to them and is extremely condescending. He also spends alot of time giggling, and regaling us with stories about the females he's dated, and just what a lady killer he is out at the bars.

True. I just think North is one of the biggest tools in the media I've ever heard. What was that comment he made about how the Score can't neglect Cubs coverage because you'd be turning off half your audience? He should think about that when he spews his political views that people don't tune into a SPORTS radio station for.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
North's an ass. Let's see his true colors when(or if) things get tight this season..he'll scamper back to the first corporate sellout and hide in its ivy.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Mike North is an uneducated doofus. He's an imbecile. He embarrasses himself every time he goes on Chicago Tribune Live! and spouts off about Sox 'history.'

I'm glad the game was on WGN-TV because every time that moron comes on the radio, my radio or computer is either getting shut down or I'll tune to the opponent's broadcast.

Lip

NSSoxFan
04-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Mike North is an uneducated doofus. He's an imbecile. He embarrasses himself every time he goes on Chicago Tribune Live! and spouts off about Sox 'history.'

I'm glad the game was on WGN-TV because every time that moron comes on the radio, my radio or computer is either getting shut down or I'll tune to the opponent's broadcast.

Lip

I don't understand how this guy is the 'cornerstone' of a radio station in the third largest market in the U.S. What makes it even more confusing is the fact North is a bigot who dropped out of HIGH SCHOOL. I mean come on...

:rolleyes:

TomBradley72
04-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Lip

Spot on Lip.

His next intelligent/insightful comment about the White Sox will be his first.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 05:59 PM
NS:

It's called the 'dumbing' down of Americans begun, at least in the media, by another idiot... Phil Donohue.

Lip

NSSoxFan
04-05-2006, 06:27 PM
NS:

It's called the 'dumbing' down of Americans begun, at least in the media, by another idiot... Phil Donohue.

Lip

I see what you're saying, but that really doesn't answer the question. It isn't as if North is an instant ratings winner, so it leaves me to wonder why anyone wants this idiot on their radio station. Oh, and on top of that, the Sunday night sports shows here, NBC 5, who have a segment entirely devoted to North.

:?::?::?:

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 06:41 PM
NS:

Because he's controversial and is willing to say anything or do anything at anytime. Morons who run stations like WSCR think that people who don't have the highest intelligence will automatically tune in to see or hear what he's going to do. It's the same philosophy that Jerry Springer and Maury Povich employ. (and what does that say about Americans who actually watch that crap?)

It's called pandering to the lowest common denominator to try to increase your ratings base. They think that just because he doesn't have it right now doesn't mean he won't ever get it. You see those executives have 'faith' that the dumbing down of America is working and that they'll eventually get their ratings.

Lip

Jenks4Pres
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Love it!
"HE'S MY GUY!"

SouthSide_HitMen
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Well something good came out of it - Singleton was gone for over 1 inning until he became the third wheel.

The official Dave Wills countdown starts today!!!

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Jenks:

You can have the moron.

Lip

jabrch
04-05-2006, 08:12 PM
He obviously gets the ratings or he wouldn't be on the air. And his education, or lack thereof, really isn't too relevant to me. Like I give a crap if he went to school...

It's entertainment. He obviously entertains enough peope to keep a show for 15 years or so on the air. I don't listen to him - but that doesn't mean I can't understand how a portion of the population of this city really would be attracted to him.

SOecks
04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
He obviously gets the ratings or he wouldn't be on the air. And his education, or lack thereof, really isn't too relevant to me. Like I give a crap if he went to school...

It's entertainment. He obviously entertains enough peope to keep a show for 15 years or so on the air. I don't listen to him - but that doesn't mean I can't understand how a portion of the population of this city really would be attracted to him.

He does NOT get ratings. If you look at radio ratings for the Score and North's show, he usually gets beaten by an AM gospel station and near the bottom of all the ratings. The reason the Score promotes him so much is because he has a huge 1.7 mil contract and they're trying to promote him and the show as much as possible to get their money's worth. I think his contract comes up this summer though so hopefully he'll be gone for good. His heyday was in the mid 90's with Jiggets but he's been living off that image ever since and been horrible.

jdm2662
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
He does NOT get ratings. If you look at radio ratings for the Score and North's show, he usually gets beaten by an AM gospel station and near the bottom of all the ratings. The reason the Score promotes him so much is because he has a huge 1.7 mil contract and they're trying to promote him and the show as much as possible to get their money's worth. I think his contract comes up this summer though so hopefully he'll be gone for good. His heyday was in the mid 90's with Jiggets but he's been living off that image ever since and been horrible.

You are correct sir. He has yet to overtake Mike and Mike in any quarter, a national show that talks about football 75% of the time when it's not football season... Granted, I like football, and it's a pretty good show overall. However, I'd rather not hear about football in March... Also, I only care about my teams and no one else, and hate ESPN in general. However, because their show is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than North's, I will listen to it on my way to work. Mulligan is about the best they have to offer on that station. He only knows football, and he's above average at best. North will be off the air once his outragous contract is up.

retro1983hat
04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
McNeil, Jurko and Harry are just as unlistenable sometimes.
The venom for the Score is unbelievable, but somehow the morons at AM1000 get a free pass. Bruce Levine is so annoying that I have to turn him off. North can be an absolute joke sometimes, but someone is listening, despite what anyone thinks.

IronFisk
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
NS:

Because he's controversial and is willing to say anything or do anything at anytime. Morons who run stations like WSCR think that people who don't have the highest intelligence will automatically tune in to see or hear what he's going to do. It's the same philosophy that Jerry Springer and Maury Povich employ. (and what does that say about Americans who actually watch that crap?)

It's called pandering to the lowest common denominator to try to increase your ratings base. They think that just because he doesn't have it right now doesn't mean he won't ever get it. You see those executives have 'faith' that the dumbing down of America is working and that they'll eventually get their ratings.

Lip

Great point. To furhter emphasize this, just listen to those ads on the Score. From debt relief to strip clubs, they are squarely directed at the bottom-feeders on the educational food chain. North fits right in.

jdm2662
04-06-2006, 01:29 PM
McNeil, Jurko and Harry are just as unlistenable sometimes.
The venom for the Score is unbelievable, but somehow the morons at AM1000 get a free pass. Bruce Levine is so annoying that I have to turn him off. North can be an absolute joke sometimes, but someone is listening, despite what anyone thinks.

You haven't been in these parts very long. Levineline and his Cubbie loving tool ways gets blasted enough around here. You are correct that McNeil, while is very capable of putting on an entertaining show, is a still a blowhard and can go off topic at times. Still, his sports knowledge compared to the likes of Boars and North blows them into the water. Not that it's saying much. It's sad that I've only been a sports fan since 1985, and I seem to know much more then most of these tools on the radio.

TomBradley72
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
North will be off the air once his outragous contract is up.

This would be incredibly good news. Does the contract really come up in the summer? It would be great to have a decent show on WSCR in the morning to wake up to.

jdm2662
04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
This would be incredibly good news. Does the contract really come up in the summer? It would be great to have a decent show on WSCR in the morning to wake up to.

Don't know the terms. However, he's got to be booted off. He went up against McNeil, and lost. He's now up against a national show where the majority of it is about football even during the offseason, and is still losing. I prefer Mike and Mike, while they have given the Bears and Sox their due when warranted, they hardly focus their show around the teams I care about. A local show should appeal much more to me, especially against an organization like ESPN. Nope, not even close. My brother used to be a a big fan of North, and once he went to mornings, he wrote to him and said he will never listen again.

Dick Allen
04-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Don't know the terms. However, he's got to be booted off. He went up against McNeil, and lost. He's now up against a national show where the majority of it is about football even during the offseason, and is still losing. I prefer Mike and Mike, while they have given the Bears and Sox their due when warranted, they hardly focus their show around the teams I care about. A local show should appeal much more to me, especially against an organization like ESPN. Nope, not even close. My brother used to be a a big fan of North, and once he went to mornings, he wrote to him and said he will never listen again.I used to be a fan of North also, especially when he was on with Jiggets. Then he became too full of himself (among other things) when he got his own show, thinks he knows everything, and is intolerable.

Dick Allen
04-06-2006, 05:39 PM
This would be incredibly good news. Does the contract really come up in the summer? It would be great to have a decent show on WSCR in the morning to wake up to.The Score did have a decent morning show when they first came on the air. I thought Tom Shaer was OK, and Jim Memalo joined him later. Then the station started making ill-advised lineup changes, inundated us with obnoxious, intelligence-insulting commercials, and now I can no longer tolerate listening to them. They took an exciting concept, all-sports-talk radio, and systematically flushed it down the toilet.

hellenicsoxfan
04-06-2006, 07:56 PM

How could the Score be so dumb to actually pay this tool $1.7 million a year but could not find a way to keep a great talent and classy guy like John Rooney? Whoever signed North to this contract should be fired immediately, if he hasn't already been fired.

jabrch
04-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Great point. To furhter emphasize this, just listen to those ads on the Score. From debt relief to strip clubs, they are squarely directed at the bottom-feeders on the educational food chain. North fits right in.

Bottom feeders on the educational food chain? Are you kidding me? That's so disgustingly arrogant sounding. Let's be real here folks - there is a very large blue collar population in this city. North gets the ratings, enough to keep management happy. Big contract or not, they'd fire his ass if he wasn't worth it. They'd stop cross promoting him. They'd put him on weekends or nights...whatever...

North may not be your cup of tea, but there is a portion of this city's sports fanbase that loves to listen to him. Incidentally, that population probably has a much heavier intersection with Sox fans than with Cubs fans...

TommyJohn
04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Among the gems that North has spouted:

The 1967 White Sox needed to win 1 of their final 5 games to win the
pennant and couldn't do it. Check the standings, Mike. They finished
3 games back, not 1.

An "interview" with Terry Schiavo as the whole debate over her situation
went on. North would ask questions and be answered with inarticulate
grunts.

His constant pimping of the Chicago Outfit as a bunch of lovable old
rascals out of James Cagney movie.

And didn't North rant about how Ozzie Guillen would be booed on Opening
Day because of the way he "snubbed" Bush?

I confess I used to listen to him as I got ready for work, simply because
it was something to hear in the morning. After getting an earful of the
first three examples I just finally stopped. I couldn't take it anymore.
Now I listen to nothing in the morning. Silence is Golden.

wdelaney72
04-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I dislike Mike North as much as everyone else on this board, but now having heard Farmer do play-by-play in a real game, I welcome Mike North, or anybody else in the booth.

Farmer's PBP is awful. I hold nothing against Chris Singleton, because from what I've heard, Farmer just talks and talks and talks. It's like he's doing PBP and color.

This is a terrible experiment and Sox fans deserve better.

HoosierHerb
04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I can get 670 pretty clear here in Indy, and Mike North made me get a sirius. I listened around christmas time and I really enjoyed that show more when he wasn't there, I liked the combo of Heubner and Holmes much better.

I cant stand music DJ's in the morning either, so Sirius has been the way to go, pretty much all music, or if I need some sports info, Mike & Mike.

TomBradley72
04-07-2006, 09:24 AM
North was busy kissing Dempster's butt on the Score this morning..."the Reds have as good a batting order as anyone" :?: ......"hey who wouldn't he hurt if they lost their top 2 starting pitchers? can't blame the cubbies..." :?:

IronFisk
04-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Bottom feeders on the educational food chain? Are you kidding me? That's so disgustingly arrogant sounding. Let's be real here folks - there is a very large blue collar population in this city. North gets the ratings, enough to keep management happy. Big contract or not, they'd fire his ass if he wasn't worth it. They'd stop cross promoting him. They'd put him on weekends or nights...whatever..

Sorry if my quote crossed you - but if you read it again, I am pointing out that's what the Score seems to enjoy catering to. I'm not critizing those who listen, okay? To be honest, there are plenty of good hosts on the Score, but North is an embarassment to them, and to the station in general. They would do well to show him the door - and not accept every sleazy ad proposal that crosses their desk.

SOXPHILE
04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry if my quote crossed you - but if you read it again, I am pointing out that's what the Score seems to enjoy catering to. I'm not critizing those who listen, okay? To be honest, there are plenty of good hosts on the Score, but North is an embarassment to them, and to the station in general. They would do well to show him the door - and not accept every sleazy ad proposal that crosses their desk.

What ? You don't think that adds for strip clubs, debt consolidation places (loan sharks), time shares, sports gambling (We've looked at tonight's Monday Night Football matchup, and there is a FLAW in the line. Call now....), and used copiers, are classy ?

SOecks
04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
How could the Score be so dumb to actually pay this tool $1.7 million a year but could not find a way to keep a great talent and classy guy like John Rooney? Whoever signed North to this contract should be fired immediately, if he hasn't already been fired.

The guy who gave him the contract has been fired a while ago but I forget his name. McNeil has talked about this in the past as well. Basically since North is such a shill for his advertisers, his "Guys" he went into the program director's office and demanded his huge pay increase while threatening to take a ton of the major advertisers with him. Management bowed down to him, gave him the big contract and his solo mid day show and that was the start of the Score's downfall. The midday show was horrible and started things like Fritzy's night on the town, adopt a pet, discussion on non-sports topics primarily (music from the 60's, D-list celebrity interviews, etc).

Rooney4Prez56
04-07-2006, 12:39 PM
I liked the combo of Heubner and Holmes much better.

I did too.

I would like to have Holmes in the morning. He is the smartest person at that station, and I enjoy listening to him whenever he is on.

SOXPHILE
04-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I did too.

I would like to have Holmes in the morning. He is the smartest person at that station,.

:o:

Scotty Love
04-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't understand how this guy is the 'cornerstone' of a radio station in the third largest market in the U.S. What makes it even more confusing is the fact North is a bigot who dropped out of HIGH SCHOOL. I mean come on...

:rolleyes:

Now i'm only 35 but before Mike and the Score I never - never listened to any sport radio shows. He made listening to sports fun and because of him I now only listen to the Score. I've TRIED other stations ie... MHJ and could not listen for more than ten minutes. I even tried other days to see if it was just a bad day for them and couldn't stand it. How many times do you want to hear about ex-wives and trips to "The Cabin". Mike, a bigot, are you nuts? He has done more for charities, human or otherwise, than many professional players let alone other sportcasters.( With his own money not company money) I've been listening to the Score since day 1 , I'm not saying that I agree with everything he says but if your going to call someone a bigot, have the guts to say it to his face or to friends of his like Dan and see what happens. It seems these days if you can't say anything without the race card being pulled out. (By the way my husband is Hispanic and also my son, so don't think that I'm a bigot just because I like Mike's show and I'm not some low life, I have a college education and work in the corporate world) Everyone has their own tastes in everything just because you don't like something or someone it doesn't mean that people who do are stupid or uneducated. This is a great site lets not go down this road anymore.

TheLittleBulldog
04-07-2006, 01:59 PM
How can anyone conclude that Mike North isn't a complete waste of our airwaves?

miker
04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Somewhere, Mike North is smiling because of all the attention he's getting here...:(:

IronFisk
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
What ? You don't think that adds for strip clubs, debt consolidation places (loan sharks), time shares, sports gambling (We've looked at tonight's Monday Night Football matchup, and there is a FLAW in the line. Call now....), and used copiers, are classy ?

You, my friend, must be a proud resident of...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/IMG00110.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
04-07-2006, 02:50 PM
You, my friend, must be a proud resident of...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Violinski/IMG00110.jpg

Is that the subdivision by your house you were telling me about a few months ago?? Too funny!

IronFisk
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Is that the subdivision by your house you were telling me about a few months ago?? Too funny!

Yeah, finally made the time to snap a pic - too SURREAL!

SOecks
04-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Now i'm only 35 but before Mike and the Score I never - never listened to any sport radio shows. He made listening to sports fun and because of him I now only listen to the Score. I've TRIED other stations ie... MHJ and could not listen for more than ten minutes. I even tried other days to see if it was just a bad day for them and couldn't stand it. How many times do you want to hear about ex-wives and trips to "The Cabin". Mike, a bigot, are you nuts? He has done more for charities, human or otherwise, than many professional players let alone other sportcasters.( With his own money not company money) I've been listening to the Score since day 1 , I'm not saying that I agree with everything he says but if your going to call someone a bigot, have the guts to say it to his face or to friends of his like Dan and see what happens. It seems these days if you can't say anything without the race card being pulled out. (By the way my husband is Hispanic and also my son, so don't think that I'm a bigot just because I like Mike's show and I'm not some low life, I have a college education and work in the corporate world) Everyone has their own tastes in everything just because you don't like something or someone it doesn't mean that people who do are stupid or uneducated. This is a great site lets not go down this road anymore.

Well maybe if your husband was black, jewish, or chinese you'd feel a bit differently. I can't remember him making racist comments about Hispanics but the 3 groups I mentioned above are constantly mentioned in a negative light and using racial slurs. I won't even mention the ones he uses on air because I'd probably get banned. He IS a bigot.

TomBradley72
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Well maybe if your husband was black, jewish, or chinese you'd feel a bit differently. I can't remember him making racist comments about Hispanics but the 3 groups I mentioned above are constantly mentioned in a negative light and using racial slurs. I won't even mention the ones he uses on air because I'd probably get banned. He IS a bigot.

I agree.

I remember when Josh Paul was released by the KW/WSox a few years ago (leaving Alomar and Olivo)...he pretty much said that is was based on a race...repeated it over and over throughout the show.

Everytime North opens his mouth...he exposes his lack of knowledge on just about any topic he every talks about "excluding Knuckles, Licorice the Dog, His wife Bee, and what a down-to-earth Chicago street guy he is".

Calling Mike North "blue collar" is an insult to working folks everywhere.

miker
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I agree.

I remember when Josh Paul was released by the KW/WSox a few years ago (leaving Alomar and Olivo)...he pretty much said that is was based on a race...repeated it over and over throughout the show.

Everytime North opens his mouth...he exposes his lack of knowledge on just about any topic he every talks about "excluding Knuckles, Licorice the Dog, His wife Bee, and what a down-to-earth Chicago street guy he is".

Calling Mike North "blue collar" is an insult to working folks everywhere.
I thought Josh Paul was released because an unproven Olivo and an ancient Alomar were better than he was.

Mike North...more proof that free speech is unappreciated by those who have the privilege.

sox84
04-08-2006, 12:42 PM
In my opinion Mike North is a opinionated goofball who really likes to hear himself talk - He wont let any topic go by without throwing in his two cents (which probably means he's in the right business, eh?) I disagree with most of what he says and can't take much of him at once. All that said, I think he states his honest opinion unlike these national guys (there's one on Fox Sports who calls his audience 'the herd') who pick a topic and then say progressively harsher taunts trying to get people to call in and argue with him. He irritates me even on people I'm Ambivalent about - heard him bashing Steeler fans one day, for instance. Sports talk show people seem to be some of the most outrageous in your face jerks as a general rule, and North fits the mold all too well.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM

you forgot to mention his tirades about arabs that he went on following 9/11