PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/5/06

Hangar18
04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Sox take a major jump forward in stories, coming off a World Series last season, but still far far far short of what the Cubs have gotten for accomplishing Nothing. Mike Kiley again today continues to hammer the idea that the cubs are going to the World Series without really saying so (this guy has been doing this for years unbelievably)

Paul "cubby" Sullivan does a puff piece on Jim "the predator" Hendry
praising him for a number of "trades" hes pulled off. However, once you read the article, it becomes apparent that Hendry really simply took advantage of clubs that are wounded and sickly.
Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
1 cub story
7 sox stories
Standings as of Wednesday April 5th, 2006
Priviledged, Media-owned, Media-favored for 2 decades Cubs 156
Underdog, Media-maligned, Media-ignored for 2 decades SOX 160

chisoxfanatic
04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Hangar, does this include yesterday's stories? If not, you're truly slipping!!! :cool:

Hangar18
04-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Hangar, does this include yesterday's stories? If not, you're truly slipping!!! :cool:

no does not include yesterdays stories (i was in line for a ring)
However, CBS and FOX did ask questions about the Cubs going to the World Series in 2006, and can it really happen :angry: :angry:

thepaulbowski
04-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Paul "cubby" Sullivan does a puff piece on Jim "the predator" Hendry praising him for a number of "trades" hes pulled off. However, once you read the article, it becomes apparent that Hendry really simply took advantage of clubs that are wounded and sickly.

If a club is willing to trade with you, how does that classify as "taking advantage of?"

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Hangar continues to be upset because the Cubs 'stole' Lee and Ramirez (although they did give up a pitcher named Wills in the deal) :D:

It has been explained to him time after time after time that the teams ahead of the Cubs in picking order had no use for nor were they willing to pay the money to get them because of payroll considerations but he refuses to listen.

To him it was a 'vast conspiracy' by MLB to get the Cubs into the World Series. :rolleyes:

Just like he refuses to acknowledge that part of the reason the Cubs 'took over' Chicago during the 80's and 90's was because of stupid Sox decisions like SportsVision, extorting a new stadium by threatening to bolt, the Carlton Fisk embarassment, the 94 labor impasse and the 97 White Flag Trade.

Oh well what are you going to do?

Lip

SOecks
04-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Lip I thought they gave up Willis in the six fingers-Clement trade.

CHISOXFAN13
04-05-2006, 12:51 PM
On a side note, I watched a pretty dominating performance last night from one Sergio Mitre pitching for the aforementioned Marlins against Houston.

Pretty nasty stuff.

Hangar18
04-05-2006, 12:51 PM
If a club is willing to trade with you, how does that classify as "taking advantage of?"

If the Pirates werent in a financial situation, because they were led to believe by the current commissioner that building a new stadium guarantees you outrageous profits and full stadiums daily, they may have kept Ramirez, or at least tried harder to get better players.

jdm2662
04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Lip I thought they gave up Willis in the six fingers-Clement trade.

Yes, you are correct. Lee was traded for Hee-Sop Choi.

PaulDrake
04-05-2006, 01:27 PM
If the Pirates werent in a financial situation, because they were led to believe by the current commissioner that building a new stadium guarantees you outrageous profits and full stadiums daily, they may have kept Ramirez, or at least tried harder to get better players. I'm not an insider nor am I partiucularly important in life or here, but I have it from a good source that the Pirates were on the verge of not making payroll just before the Ramirez deal. Kevin McClatchy doesn't always call the shots for the Pirates.