PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me if this has been addressed already concerning new banners

Timmy D's
04-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Believe me, NOT complaining as I'm sure glad we got 'em, and still have my hair on end from Sunday nights un-veiling, but did ya notice how thin they are today?? I dont know if they want them that way or not, but I say lets take them down during this coming road trip Thursday, and give them an extra coat of paint. Just my humble opinion.

Soxfanspcu11
04-05-2006, 03:53 AM
They are quite see-through. They looked great under the lights on Sunday, but today in the sun they looked incredibly thin. I don't like the fact that you can see through them. But I'm sure that Brooks will take care of it if it becomes an eyesore.

But like you said, I' not complaining!!:D:

SoxFan76
04-05-2006, 03:58 AM
They are quite see-through. They looked great under the lights on Sunday, but today in the sun they looked incredibly thin. I don't like the fact that you can see through them. But I'm sure that Brooks will take care of it if it becomes an eyesore.

But like you said, I' not complaining!!:D:

Couldn't you just sew a white banner on the back?

Soxfanspcu11
04-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Couldn't you just sew a white banner on the back?

Yeah, I think that would work. A darker color might be better though. I'm sure something will be done.

starboy0
04-05-2006, 06:47 AM
You have to be at the right angle with the correct lighting to appreciate how good they look. I'll be interested in seeing them at night.

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2006, 09:14 AM
You have to be at the right angle with the correct lighting to appreciate how good they look. I'll be interested in seeing them at night.

You're right- it's all about the lighting. With the sun's angle at the game yesterday around 3:00p, the two World Series Champions banners in left field looked absolutely awesome. At the same time, the AL Pennant and Division banners in right field were very transparent-looking.

Hitmen77
04-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Yes, I could hardly see what was on the banners yesterday. Late in the game I could see the World Series banners but not the others.

I'm guessing they need to make these banners out of mesh(?) instead of a solid surface so that they can better withstand wind gusts, but they are hard to read.

By the way, when I could see the WS banners, they looked great.

Steelrod
04-05-2006, 09:22 AM
I would guess that they are made that way intentionally in order for wind to pass thru them and not wave or rip.

downstairs
04-05-2006, 09:48 AM
No need to worry. These banners are all temporary. They will need to be replaced in a year to include the 2006 team on all of them...

Realist
04-05-2006, 09:59 AM
The banners need to be thin and porous so the wind will go through them and they won't ack like sails. I don't think any of us want any threads that start with "The Wind Blew the Light Tower Over and It Landed on My Girlfriend's Head".

skobabe8
04-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Sunday night to Tuesday day the banners looked....well.....night and day. Big difference when the sun is out.

MrRoboto83
04-05-2006, 11:42 AM
My guess would be they need to be able for the wind to go through them to last longer and also to keep the light towers wind resistant.

IronFisk
04-05-2006, 02:08 PM
The banners need to be thin and porous so the wind will go through them and they won't ack like sails. I don't think any of us want any threads that start with "The Wind Blew the Light Tower Over and It Landed on My Girlfriend's Head".

Exactly. From my vantage point at Fundamentals, they looked quite "washed out" - but that's the nature of the fabric.

Keep this in mind...

1) They should look MUCH better at night, and

2) We play most of our games at night.

soxrme
04-05-2006, 03:06 PM
The banners are made from a mesh fabric and then screen printed. They are supposed to last all year. Because of the winds you have to use mesh. They really took a beating the week before the opener.Actually the first covers over the banners were not made of mesh and had to be replaced with mesh covers because they were billowing out so much.