PDA

View Full Version : New Warning Track!

TheOldRoman
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I noticed today that the Sox replaced their warning track in the offseason. The old warning track was a very ugly light, almost pink, color. The new warning track is a much darker color. I believe it is made of crushed bricks.

Kudos to the Sox on making this change. It is long overdue. I always hated the way the warning track looked. The new one looks much better with the park's color scheme, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb as the other one did. Now, if they will just put bricks over the bullpens, the park will be perfect.

SABRSox
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
The new warning track is a much darker color. I believe it is made of crushed bricks.

Hopefully the crushed bricks of the Wrigley Field bleachers. From what I hear, those bricks were chosen because of their superior absorbency, what with all the urinating and all. A warning track made of that material would do wonders for rainy days...

Lip Man 1
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't know if they are crushed bricks or not. That may be something to ask a ticket rep or send an e-mail to Brooks.

Anyway for the safety of the players I hope they are NOT crushed bricks. Crushed brick when wet eventually dries to concrete-like consistency.

Back in the day there was no more beautiful ballpark then the original Big A, Anaheim Stadium. They had crushed brick for the infield and the warning track. The red contrasting with the green field was amazing. Add to it the towering A that was illuminated beyond the left center field fence...it was breathtaking. It doesn't rain (much) in Southern California (with apologies to Albert Hammond!) but when it did the players caught the brunt of it. Balls were hopping up and taking guys out, splitting lips, brows and foreheads so they finally took it out and replaced it with regular dirt.

Granted it's 'only' the warning track so the danger may be less but I'd still not like to take a header on that stuff after it is rock-hard. And it rains a lot more in Chicago then in Anaheim.

Lip

itsnotrequired
04-04-2006, 07:46 PM
It could also simply be fresh, "redder" dirt. Wasn't it really red at the start of last season? Me thinks it fades in the sun.

TheOldRoman
04-04-2006, 08:33 PM
It could also simply be fresh, "redder" dirt. Wasn't it really red at the start of last season? Me thinks it fades in the sun.
I just looked at photos from last opening day compared to today. It is a different dirt.

goon
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Hopefully the crushed bricks of the Wrigley Field bleachers.

riding the redline on the way to school today i saw them putting up the "budweiser bleachers" sign on the outside of wrigley.

...that is all.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I thought it looked different. I noticed it today in the sun, a very nice color.

skobabe8
04-05-2006, 08:58 AM
TheOldRoman, I'm really happy about this, too. I didn't get my hopes up Sunday night because of all the rain I thought it just looked darker (even though it was dark before the rain came). But this has been something I've quiwtly complained about for yearsbecause it was such a small thing but makes such a huge difference. Great job Roger! :D: