PDA

View Full Version : Beware of the Bandwagon Jumpers...

soxinem1
04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
My son and I went to the game today, and love the rings, just not the end result.

But we may be in for a long season. I know sucess brings new bodies to the park, but man, I hate these goofs that are so obviously on a bandwagon. Below is an example of some of the idiocies I heard today:

'I've been a Sox fan my whole life. My entire family are cub fans, but I had to
be different'.

Okay, but the guy later said this:

'They've never drawn well here. They opened this place right around the time they tore up the Ryan last time, they got off on the wrong foot'. (oops, dude, they drew nearly 3 million in 1991!)

'I was at the game here when Fisk broke the All-time record for HR's by a catcher (oops again. Fisk hit that one in Texas!)

'I really liked the "Winning Ugly" team. Fisk, Ozzie, Baines. Great squad' (ooops cubed! Ozzie didn't play with the Sox until 1985!)

'How many will this place hold (guy answering a question)? 55-56,000, last I checked. They have more seats now than when they opened because they filled in the runways here in the OF (What a jag!! 56K? and they reconfigured the bullpens,not the 'runways'!

This idiot was so irritating. The best part is they showed up in the FIFTH inning, then left after the seventh.

Did anyone else encounter this?

BeviBall!
04-04-2006, 06:25 PM
One guy behind me towards Mack on his first AB:

Strike 1: Whoa! Big swing for a little guy!
Strike 2: Go back to the Marlins!
Base hit: YES!!!!

mcg
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
The chick next to me was shouting "throw it back" after the first Indian homerun.

BeviBall!
04-04-2006, 06:28 PM
The chick next to me was shouting "throw it back" after the first Indian homerun.

Unfortunately, this has been all too common for many years. But, dude kept the ball!

PedroLopez
04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I enjoy seeing hundreds of fans on the concourse chatting and not even watching the game. I also enjoy the "throw it back" chant. If you think the that baseball is just one huge social event, then take your behind up to Clark and Addison. Where have all these "Sox" fans been the last 10 years?

jenn2080
04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I heard the throw it back during Boones homerun...I looked at the guy I was like last time I checked we were not at Wrigley. The bandwagon people were def in full force. It was really annoying. It is going to take some getting use to. The best was the people who had their babies with them AKA teacups. There is no Teacups or dumbo rides at Comiskey. It is not Disney World. These kids could not have been older then 6 mo old.

MERPER
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I hate Cub fans, but I feel like I'm gonna hate these bandwagoners much much more....

I can't tolerate people saying the wrong things about the Sox... unless it's an honest mistake... I also don't like these people taking seats that should belong to the real sox fans who have paid their dues waiting for the glory we now enjoy...:angry:

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2006, 06:36 PM
'They scan tickets now?'

'Cintron? He's new? Oh yeah, he's from the minors, Ozzie probably just wants to give him a shot to see how he responds.'

'Wooo, this is great American baseball, nothing like getting drunk. (Sox down 5-1, just going on and on about the time/beer without paying attention to the game).

The fan deck was an intersting experience, a mixture of the bandwagoner/cell phone cloud and dark clouds who screamed obsecnities and looked like they would kill themselves after every pitch. Good view though

Corlose 15
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
So whats more annoying, idiot bandwagoners who know nothing about the sox? Or neanderthals who can't complete a sentence without saying **** three or four times?

PedroLopez
04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
That is a tough one. Too many have the goal of getting drunk and acting like fools. "Dude, what bar are we hitting up after this?" My goal when I go to the game is enjoyment while I learn some new things about the game. Hopefully, the next 23 games won't be as bad as this.

soxinem1
04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
So whats more annoying, idiot bandwagoners who know nothing about the sox? Or neanderthals who can't complete a sentence without saying **** three or four times?

I heard that, way too much.

Oh yeah, two I forgot from earlier.

'How long has this place been open (guy repeating a question posed to him)? Oh a while now, close to 9-10 years!'

'Hey, that guy Hernandez who jumped on the field with his kid got busted selling crack, I think, and they let him go again!'

leens01
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I didn't hear too many band wagon jumpers today, but there was a guy a couple of rows behind us who was saying all sorts of racial slurs and a couple of kids in front of us on Senior Ditch Day or something. They were having more fun screaming the F-Bomb at a couple of Indians fans 3 sections over. My sister finally yelled at them. We had three kids under the age of 6 with us.

Chisox003
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
This thread is depressing

:(:

niqui
04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Definitely the guys in the row in front of us. They were OBSESSED with getting beer, taunting the beer guy, whatever. They were doing little organized screams at the guy -- he was only like five rows down, and he obviously knew they wanted beer. They apparently forgot to tip him at one point too, then made a huge deal about making him come back to get it. It was stupid. I wanted to tell them if they wanted to get drunk that park was on the other side of town.

OTOH, I sat next to a newbie on the el on the way in, and she was cheerful and seemed cool (she was pretty clearly a newbie because she asked me how far it was to the park once she got off the el, and if it was hard to find). Lost her in the crowd getting off; I'm assuming she found it alright. :cool:

SBSoxFan
04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
My sister finally yelled at them.
Good for her. I hope that shut them up. We can't just let kids run amuck ... it's that whole village thing. I have a 3-year old, and would expect her to not have to hear that in a public venue. I don't mind cussing, but not around kids.

Beer Can Chicken
04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I love the bandwagon people, with them we bumped payroll quite a bit. Cubs fans also can't bring the attendance argument with us anymore. I luv the bandwagon.

Also - people have been chanting throw it back (and actually DOING it) for quite some time now. Maybe the people complaining about this "new phenomenon" are the bandwagoners?

FedEx227
04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
This thread is depressing

:(:
Yeah I was pretty depressed during the game, luckily people in my row were pretty good fans (Sec 544).

When I first got there the guys a row behind me goes "What the hell... we don't get to see White Sox batting practice, they win a World Title and now they are special or something!" :rolleyes:

Also - people have been chanting throw it back (and actually DOING it) for quite some time now. Maybe the people complaining about this "new phenomenon" are the bandwagoners?

No we arent...it was a common thing at The Cell maybe 3-4-5 years ago, but last year you didn't hear it outside of maybe 5-10 people. It was much louder today then at any game last year.

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I love the bandwagon people, with them we bumped payroll quite a bit. Cubs fans also can't bring the attendance argument with us anymore. I luv the bandwagon.

I too have no serious problem with people jumping on the Sox bandwagon--as long as they don't jump right back off if we lose a couple in a row, which we surely will, given the length of the season.

However, if you look back at this thread, you will see that at least one poster mentioned that people have been doing the scabrous "throw it back" scream for some time. I didn't see anybody call it a "new" phenomenon until you did. And I have been complaining--along with many others--about the "throw it back" folks, as well as the "wave" folks, since new Comiskey opened.

MadetoOrta
04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
I hate 'em too but it's called the price of success. If I have to put up with this for years in exchange for winning the 2005 World Series I'll take it.

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I hate 'em too but it's called the price of success. If I have to put up with this for years in exchange for winning the 2005 World Series I'll take it.

You speak truth!

DSpivack
04-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Beware of a young medical student starting in August jumping on the bandwagon...one of my friends down here is going to NU. :tongue:

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
My son and I went to the game today, and love the rings, just not the end result.

But we may be in for a long season. I know sucess brings new bodies to the park, but man, I hate these goofs that are so obviously on a bandwagon. Below is an example of some of the idiocies I heard today:

'I've been a Sox fan my whole life. My entire family are cub fans, but I had to
be different'.

Okay, but the guy later said this:

'They've never drawn well here. They opened this place right around the time they tore up the Ryan last time, they got off on the wrong foot'. (oops, dude, they drew nearly 3 million in 1991!)

'I was at the game here when Fisk broke the All-time record for HR's by a catcher (oops again. Fisk hit that one in Texas!)

'I really liked the "Winning Ugly" team. Fisk, Ozzie, Baines. Great squad' (ooops cubed! Ozzie didn't play with the Sox until 1985!)

'How many will this place hold (guy answering a question)? 55-56,000, last I checked. They have more seats now than when they opened because they filled in the runways here in the OF (What a jag!! 56K? and they reconfigured the bullpens,not the 'runways'!

This idiot was so irritating. The best part is they showed up in the FIFTH inning, then left after the seventh.

Did anyone else encounter this?

Makes you appreciate the remarkable level of knowledge here. The average person has no clue about anything as shown above. I experience that all the time.

itsnotrequired
04-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Makes you appreciate the remarkable level of knowledge here. The average person has no clue about anything as shown above. I experience that all the time.

I was fortunate enough to sit next to some very knowledgeable fans. We had a fun debate after Thome nearly hit into that double play in the 1st. It appeared as if it was a liner to Broussard that he dropped on purpose in an attempt to turn a double play. Of course, that isn't what happened but it led to a fun discussion about whether or not a purposely dropped ball counted as an error.

A lot better than the debate I heard yesterday re: Miller Lite vs. Bud Light.:rolleyes:

Johnny74
04-04-2006, 07:59 PM
No matter where you go in life, you are going to run into idiots. It's an unfortunate fact of life. Sigh....

RhubarbStew
04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I think there needs to be some sort of movement to abolish this throwing it back nonsense. Maybe signs to be passed out. We must stop this Wriglification of our beloved park!

supertwangreverb
04-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone I haven't been here all winter, no one probably remembers me, but I was the original poster in the thread that became the "dedicated to" book. Anyways I'm glad baseball is back, and what I've seen the past two days on T.V has been unbelievable, and going back to the dedicated to thread, seeing a sell out on the 2nd day of the season and a World Series ring ceremony are two things my father and grandfather missed out on. So as far as the bandwagon jumpers go who cares?? Seeing the stadium packed with people cheering for the team who has deserved it all this time is great. Even if its for a brief time I love the way that park looks packed, and as it has been already pointed out these folks are paying. So some of that money goes toward the payroll.

LuvSox
04-04-2006, 08:37 PM
I also don't like these people taking seats that should belong to the real sox fans who have paid their dues waiting for the glory we now enjoy...:angry:

I agree.

D. TODD
04-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Wow, people complain about the place being half filled, then bitch about it being filled with the wrong type of fans. Come on, unless there is a loud drunk bufoon going on non stop who cares what his take on the game is. Enjoy the game for what you like about it and stop spending time on the guy in the row in front of you and his opinion on the new second baseman.

nasox
04-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Definitely the guys in the row in front of us. They were OBSESSED with getting beer, taunting the beer guy, whatever. They were doing little organized screams at the guy -- he was only like five rows down, and he obviously knew they wanted beer. They apparently forgot to tip him at one point too, then made a huge deal about making him come back to get it. It was stupid. I wanted to tell them if they wanted to get drunk that park was on the other side of town.

OTOH, I sat next to a newbie on the el on the way in, and she was cheerful and seemed cool (she was pretty clearly a newbie because she asked me how far it was to the park once she got off the el, and if it was hard to find). Lost her in the crowd getting off; I'm assuming she found it alright. :cool:

If she was decent looking, I bet you would have sacrificed yourself and showed her around.:cool:

Timmy D's
04-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Who cares??? Honestlty is the ONLY attitude you can have. Other wise you make yourself nuts worring about lil things in life like this. It took me a long time to figure it out, but my dad finally got his point accross as, "who cares" what other peeps do. Put them on the pay no mind list. and enjoy the day yourself!!!

Martinigirl
04-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Sadly, the most loathsome person I had to deal with on Opening Night was most likely a Sox fan. He was loud, obnoxious and just rude. He wouldn't stop yelling, berating the usher for no reason at all and just being an ass to everyone within ear shot. At some point I just turned around and told him off. It is amazing to see what a sniveling idiot the big, bad man can be when a woman tells him off. You have to love when the only comeback he has is "Why are you so mean?"

Honestly, as noted by my name, I am hardly a teetotaler, but it is one thing to have a few drinks (and knowing how to hold your liquor), there is another to drinking to the point where you are just an abrasive and offensive moron. Then again, I seriously doubt he is a stellar member of society even if totally sober.

LuvSox
04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Honestly, as noted by my name, I am hardly a teetotaler

You're ok in my book!!!!!! :D:

MrRoboto83
04-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Also i did not know that John Malkovich plays for the Sox and he was playing Center Field today, I wonder who that could be???

'Malkovich was a great pick up, i wonder if he is related to the actor':o:

NO LIE!!

chaerulez
04-05-2006, 12:46 AM

Most of the morons next to where I was sitting in section 548 started booing because the guy didn't throw it back and thankfully the guy behind me mentioned this isn't Wrigley, keep the HR balls.

RealMenWearBlack
04-05-2006, 01:24 AM
I think there needs to be some sort of movement to abolish this throwing it back nonsense. Maybe signs to be passed out. We must stop this Wriglification of our beloved park!

Could they make it a rule that they throw people out if they throw something out on the field?

hi im skot
04-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Most of the morons next to where I was sitting in section 548 started booing because the guy didn't throw it back and thankfully the guy behind me mentioned this isn't Wrigley, keep the HR balls.

I was in 548 with my dad, and we were both complaining about the goofs calling for the ball to be thrown back.

It's been mentioned in this thread that the "throw it back" chant has been going on at Comiskey for years. While this is completely true, it was definitely louder Tuesday than it was any other time.

Overall, sure, there are some "bandwagon" fans, but I'll be damned if I let those folks ruin the fun.

SOXintheBURGH
04-05-2006, 01:48 AM
Congrats guys, now you know how legitimate Cub and Red Sox fans feel! :rolleyes:

StockdaleForVeep
04-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Even though i wasnt there opening day, just from goin last season, the bandwagoners have gotten bad, and especially on this forum how you have threads poppin up nonstop from "new" fans who's only comment is something based on recent sox controversey or issues.

Whenever i heard the throw it back chants, id just start shoutin that "This isnt wrigley!" or "Shut the hell up lushes!" I do the same thing for whenever i see the wave at any sporting event, i even jokingly attempted an anti wave like jeff goldblum did on snl, to try and end things. I have to admit, i did see one amazing throw back several years ago(last time the sox turned a triple play game) Someone hit a hr to about mid stands in right, people chanted throw it back, this guy let loose from mid stands and nearly hit willie harris in the head, cuz he wasnt watchin\expecting it and got the crap scared out of him when a baseball landed right by his foot

Some of the knowlegeable fans are bad too though, i remember one time autograph hawkin 2 years ago and this older guy kept proclaiming how good loaiza was since it was after his all star year and he's in that "prime pitching age" to which i simply said "yer full of it"

itsnotrequired
04-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Could they make it a rule that they throw people out if they throw something out on the field?

It already is a rule that you can't throw things on the field. A "fan" is subject to ejection for such activities. Unfortunately, it is selectively enforced (i.e. throwing a HR baseball back is "acceptable" but throwing a hair dryer onto the field is not).

Cat Thief
04-05-2006, 07:39 AM
I know people say just to enjoy the game but some of the **** he was spewing was unreal.

1) Telling his buddy he wanted to trade his tickets for some Monday afternoon games.

2) Telling someone on the phone that the he guessed the game was on ESPN 1000.

3) And the ever popular, I can't believe they didn't throw that homerun ball back.

4) Telling some girl he still had his club level ticket for Sat? Also, he could probably go sit up there in the same seat because nobody pays attention.

Thank god that the payroll is going up but this going to take some getting used too.

jenn2080
04-05-2006, 07:43 AM
It already is a rule that you can't throw things on the field. A "fan" is subject to ejection for such activities. Unfortunately, it is selectively enforced (i.e. throwing a HR baseball back is "acceptable" but throwing a hair dryer onto the field is not).

I can basically contest to that. My stupid drunk cousin did that last year during the Cleveland series in Sept. I believe it was only the first or second inning too.

rdwj
04-05-2006, 07:47 AM
In defense of the "booing" after the throw it back incident - I think much of it was booing the chant - not the action of the fan who caught it. I know that the people right around me booed and started yelling things like "this ain't Wrigley" or "keep it".

All in all, I thought the crowd was great. You're always going to see your fair share of idiots, but it was really nice seeing a full house all decked out in black at the second game - it's usually a small crowd.

Jurr
04-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Like they said in the paper....they were lamenting the fact that they have only sold 63,000 tickets for the Royals series. Then they realized that they only sold 59k for the OPENING SERIES last year!

I said it in a previous post, and I'll say it again. Those chuckleheads are annoying, but they keep Sox payroll up. We've all been going to games when there was 10-15k a game. We know what's up. It's just nice to see that park full consistently for once. Don't let the ignorance of a few casual Sox fans (which sounds VERY weird) ruin your day.

Hitmen77
04-05-2006, 08:03 AM
I was there yesterday and didn't see that many bandwagon jumpers. In fact, I was impressed with how the place seemed to be unanimously Sox fans. In past years at games I'd always see a bunch of bozos wearing their Cubs stuff to the game and a vocal contingent of the opposing team's fans. Yesterday I did not see a single Cubs or Jndjans garment.

As far as the 'throw it back' incident, the only thing I heard in my section in the upper deck were shouts to NOT throw it back because "this ain't Wrigley".

I think some of you guys need to relax. Do you honestly expect to have all 40,000 at the game be ultra diehards who know every last thing about the Sox who are all intently keeping score? GMAB, it ain't going to happen. The closest you'll get to that sort of intensity is a playoff game or a vital pennant race game further along in the season.

Jaffar
04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Marc, if I knew you were going to have this thread I would have made sure I got thos pics off my camera even though I was already late for work this morning. Those 2 guys sleeping 2 rows in front of us are like the exclamation point to what you're saying. I'll have them tomorrow and see if anybody here knows them.

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2006, 08:51 AM
. The best was the people who had their babies with them AKA teacups. There is no Teacups or dumbo rides at Comiskey. It is not Disney World. These kids could not have been older then 6 mo old.

You are going to have to learn to deal with it. I specifically bought an extra ticket for 27 games this to take my new born son.

soxfan13
04-05-2006, 09:14 AM
My biggest complaint about the bandwagon is people who bought season tickets with the sole intention of turning around and selling them. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against people making a quick dollar but when I wasnt able to get tickets for opening day I was a little perturbed. I know you will say I should have bought season tickets. I have never had to buy season tickets . I have a very good connection that is very high up for the ticket sales staff of the White Sox and I have always bought my tickets from him. For Christ sakes he was able to get me tickets for 3 out of the 4 world series games. So the reason I have never bought season tickets is him and now after the difficulty I faced on opening day I am a little upset I didnt buy any sort of package:angry:

StockdaleForVeep
04-05-2006, 12:37 PM
You are going to have to learn to deal with it. I specifically bought an extra ticket for 27 games this to take my new born son.

I have to ask\be blunt

why are u bringing a newborn to a game in the first place? I ask this question as to why famlies bring new borns to movies, they cant watch\experience it and are prob gonna be terrified\bothered by the noises and environment

McCuddy
04-05-2006, 12:48 PM

You must have been in the back row of 558? I was on the aisle in 557. They're the ones I wrote about in another thread explaining that I thought the MQ (Moron Quotient) was higher than last season...

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I have to ask\be blunt

why are u bringing a newborn to a game in the first place? I ask this question as to why famlies bring new borns to movies, they cant watch\experience it and are prob gonna be terrified\bothered by the noises and environment

I have no problem with the asking.

It is the equivalent to a day in the park for the kid. The noise at the stadium is not much greater than the ambient noise of a city of chicago park that is located off a busy street during rush hour (which is when I would be bringing my kid to the park). I brought my first son to games very early on and my experience has been that there was absolutely no anxiety produced by being at the game.

Alternatively, it is an opportunity for the child to be outside for an extended period of time. As they grow a little older, I have experienced that it is an excellent way for them to learn how to behave properly in non family group settings.

Like I said, I buy the extra seat for the child, so even on a crowded night, the person two seats away from me will be less hasseled by my presence than I will be by his. I'm in the upper deck so there is zero hightened chance of any injury to the child. In the end it is a good night or day out for the family.

As far as them enjoying the game, that is probably true for a newborn (beyond the enjoyment of being held by a parent for 3 hours straight). However, by the time my first boy reached a year of age he could say "charge" and loved the center field scoreboard.

I see it as causing no detriment to anyone else's enjoyment while at the same time being an enhancement to my child and my enjoyment.

BeefyD
04-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I can basically contest to that. My stupid drunk cousin did that last year during the Cleveland series in Sept. I believe it was only the first or second inning too.

How did he get the hair dryer past security??? :D:

Actually, I've seen more morons after long rain delays than Sunday pre-rain or Tues. It seems the really drunk idiots stay the whole time as well, and, while I'm sure they are diehard by how much they know when yelling at the opposing players, they sure get annoying. Maybe it doesn't help that after a rain delay, it is generally a lot more quiet.

Anyone who was just past the third base line on Sun. after the delay in the first twenty rows probably heard the guy I am talking about..

soxinem1
04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Marc, if I knew you were going to have this thread I would have made sure I got thos pics off my camera even though I was already late for work this morning. Those 2 guys sleeping 2 rows in front of us are like the exclamation point to what you're saying. I'll have them tomorrow and see if anybody here knows them.

Matt:

Yes, that one is a must, thanks for reminding me. Those two, though maybe not bandwagon jumpers, definitely had an adrenaline problem.

StockdaleForVeep
04-05-2006, 02:28 PM
I have no problem with the asking.

It is the equivalent to a day in the park for the kid. The noise at the stadium is not much greater than the ambient noise of a city of chicago park that is located off a busy street during rush hour (which is when I would be bringing my kid to the park). I brought my first son to games very early on and my experience has been that there was absolutely no anxiety produced by being at the game.

Alternatively, it is an opportunity for the child to be outside for an extended period of time. As they grow a little older, I have experienced that it is an excellent way for them to learn how to behave properly in non family group settings.

Like I said, I buy the extra seat for the child, so even on a crowded night, the person two seats away from me will be less hasseled by my presence than I will be by his. I'm in the upper deck so there is zero hightened chance of any injury to the child. In the end it is a good night or day out for the family.

As far as them enjoying the game, that is probably true for a newborn (beyond the enjoyment of being held by a parent for 3 hours straight). However, by the time my first boy reached a year of age he could say "charge" and loved the center field scoreboard.

I see it as causing no detriment to anyone else's enjoyment while at the same time being an enhancement to my child and my enjoyment.

Then i also ask this, do u complain about the atmosphere of people in the park, in relation to vulgar phrases and just overall the people at the games because of your children being there?(addressing the issue of family sections and non)

niqui
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
If she was decent looking, I bet you would have sacrificed yourself and showed her around.:cool:

Heh. I suppose, yeah, there are worse fates than being in the company of cute girls in Sox championship gear. :wink:

chaerulez
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is a product of bandwagon jumpers or suburban people that never took the L until the Ryan construction, but I was asked 3 or 4 times on the way to the game which way to go on the L.

niqui
04-05-2006, 02:55 PM
You must have been in the back row of 558? I was on the aisle in 557. They're the ones I wrote about in another thread explaining that I thought the MQ (Moron Quotient) was higher than last season...

Hah, exactly right -- row 20 of 558. Around the 8th inning we decamped over to some empty seats in the sunshine in 556, though. I was freezing in the shade! But it got us away from those guys too, so, bonus. :cool:

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2006, 03:09 PM
There are what seem to be two bandwagon jumpers who have season tickets (the weekend plan) right next to a girl I go to games with a lot- close to the right field foul pole.

These two soon-to-be drunkards show up when the ring ceremony is nearly over and promptly and loudly introduce themselves to us and the people in front of & behind us. Both are in Sox jerseys- the one guy wearing an '83 throwback and the other one a Podsednik vest jersey, both were authentic, but also looked to be pretty new. They then tell me & this girl that they drink a lot of beer and are in & out of their seats a lot; so is everybody else I usually sit next to, so I didn't see this as an issue. No sooner after they finish their little introduction do they start gawking at a girl a couple rows in front of us and could barely contain themselves. I felt like I was in the bleachers 8.1 miles north! :rolleyes:

In the first two innings, I think I was asked to get up five times! :angry: Trying to be patient, I let it slide. There is a fine line between a passionate fan who's going to yell stuff to players (me) and those who yell just to be obnoxious. Within the next half hour, they became obnoxious, constantly yelling obscenities not only at the players, but at one another! Think of every four letter word you've ever heard, they called each other those names.

Carrying on with their obnoxious selves, I was then made fun of by drunkard #1 (in the '83 jersey), who called me "stat girl" because I had a scorebook and was accurately scoring the game. He then asked me why I keep stats and what I get out of it. I told him it's something I enjoy doing and it keeps me even more focused on the game. Even with that explanation, he continued to make fun of me for this and took my eye rolling as a cue for him to ask me to call him an obscenity.

Meanwhile, the other drunkard came back with two brats- one for him and one for drunkard #1, while drunkard #1 had gone to get himself nachos. By the time they were done eating, there were pieces of smashed brats on the ground, along with nacho cheese. And do you think drunkard #1 knows what a napkin is or how to use one? Nope. I caught him licking the nacho cheese off his hands! :o:

Then came the heckling of the poor vendors! Each time a vendor other than a beer vendor came around, they shouted obscenities at that person- male or female- and demanded they send the beer guy their way.

Fast forward to about the fifth inning or so when the multiple beers started being regurgitated in the form of loud, disgusting burps- without excusing themselves. Think this is gross? The next thing I knew, one of them was passing gas!!!! :puking: Neither one has any regard for personal space, either. They never stayed in their seat, so whoever sat next to me felt the need to lean into me when eating, bump my arm when writing in my scorebook, and scream into my ear when they were heckling the right fielders or the poor vendors.

I didn't count, but I think they stood up and wanted to get out at least 30 times during the game, not once waiting until the end of a half inning- and that was only through the 7th before we'd had enough and moved away from them because we couldn't take anymore.

I had thoughts of telling a Guest Service person or one of those security guards who sit on the field, but wasn't sure if anything they were doing would warrant this. I know one thing's for sure. My experience with these losers will definitely impact my decision whether or not go to another game with this girl. That's the sad part, too, because these guys have probably been "fans" since October, whereas I've been a fan since I was 10 years old! :angry:

Baby Fisk
04-05-2006, 03:15 PM
What an awful experience, ChiSoxGirl. Are you stuck with these jerks for the whole year, or are they part of a group that got seasons (or were you too disgusted to ask)?

StockdaleForVeep
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
There are what seem to be two bandwagon jumpers who have season tickets (the weekend plan) right next to a girl I go to games with a lot- close to the right field foul pole.

These two soon-to-be drunkards show up when the ring ceremony is nearly over and promptly and loudly introduce themselves to us and the people in front of & behind us. Both are in Sox jerseys- the one guy wearing an '83 throwback and the other one a Podsednik vest jersey, both were authentic, but also looked to be pretty new. They then tell me & this girl that they drink a lot of beer and are in & out of their seats a lot; so is everybody else I usually sit next to, so I didn't see this as an issue. No sooner after they finish their little introduction do they start gawking at a girl a couple rows in front of us and could barely contain themselves. I felt like I was in the bleachers 8.1 miles north! :rolleyes:

In the first two innings, I think I was asked to get up five times! :angry: Trying to be patient, I let it slide. There is a fine line between a passionate fan who's going to yell stuff to players (me) and those who yell just to be obnoxious. Within the next half hour, they became obnoxious, constantly yelling obscenities not only at the players, but at one another! Think of every four letter word you've ever heard, they called each other those names.

Carrying on with their obnoxious selves, I was then made fun of by drunkard #1 (in the '83 jersey), who called me "stat girl" because I had a scorebook and was accurately scoring the game. He then asked me why I keep stats and what I get out of it. I told him it's something I enjoy doing and it keeps me even more focused on the game. Even with that explanation, he continued to make fun of me for this and took my eye rolling as a cue for him to ask me to call him an obscenity.

Meanwhile, the other drunkard came back with two brats- one for him and one for drunkard #1, while drunkard #1 had gone to get himself nachos. By the time they were done eating, there were pieces of smashed brats on the ground, along with nacho cheese. And do you think drunkard #1 knows what a napkin is or how to use one? Nope. I caught him licking the nacho cheese off his hands! :o:

Then came the heckling of the poor vendors! Each time a vendor other than a beer vendor came around, they shouted obscenities at that person- male or female- and demanded they send the beer guy their way.

Fast forward to about the fifth inning or so when the multiple beers started being regurgitated in the form of loud, disgusting burps- without excusing themselves. Think this is gross? The next thing I knew, one of them was passing gas!!!! :puking: Neither one has any regard for personal space, either. They never stayed in their seat, so whoever sat next to me felt the need to lean into me when eating, bump my arm when writing in my scorebook, and scream into my ear when they were heckling the right fielders or the poor vendors.

I didn't count, but I think they stood up and wanted to get out at least 30 times during the game, not once waiting until the end of a half inning- and that was only through the 7th before we'd had enough and moved away from them because we couldn't take anymore.

I had thoughts of telling a Guest Service person or one of those security guards who sit on the field, but wasn't sure if anything they were doing would warrant this. I know one thing's for sure. My experience with these losers will definitely impact my decision whether or not go to another game with this girl. That's the sad part, too, because these guys have probably been "fans" since October, whereas I've been a fan since I was 10 years old! :angry:
We need some hired goons at the game

sidenote: cant security be called for unruly fans or just jagbags in general?

DieTrying79
04-05-2006, 03:47 PM
sidenote: cant security be called for unruly fans or just jagbags in general

I've always wondered that, too.

With this bandwagon stuff, it's annoying, but it's the price you pay for being a champion. At heart, everyone on here knows they are a part of the "Core of the Core", and should take pride in that. Some of those quotes of overheard stuff from the 'wagonners is mindboggling! :?:

34 Inch Stick
04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Then i also ask this, do u complain about the atmosphere of people in the park, in relation to vulgar phrases and just overall the people at the games because of your children being there?(addressing the issue of family sections and non)

Honestly, it has not been an issue in the three years since I have been bringing my son to the park. There is always some boorish behavior at the park but most adults recognize when children are present (of course, vulgarity at the park is not acceptable even when children are not present). The biggest problem at the park in the past was always groups of underage boys being served. I have noticed that the Sox have attempted to be particularly diligent at carding lately.

Given the hypothetical that excessive vulgarity was being used I would try to quietly ask that it be stopped for the sake of the kid. Only the lowest level of society would refuse such a request. These people tend to anger more fans than just those who bring kids.

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2006, 10:03 PM
What an awful experience, ChiSoxGirl. Are you stuck with these jerks for the whole year, or are they part of a group that got seasons (or were you too disgusted to ask)?

Based on things they were saying, it's their season ticket package; they mentioned being there for 35 games or so! :angry:

mjharrison72
04-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah... we were not thrilled with the people sitting behind us... Boone Logan gets up throwing in the bullpen. Obviously a lefty, and they could even tell it was #57.
"Who's that in the bullpen?"
"Yeah... it's McCarthy. He's great."
Now keep in mind McCarthy is right-handed, about nine feet tall, and wears his socks up high. I turn around and tell them it's Boone Logan.
When the announcer says Boone Logan is coming into the game, they whine about why McCarthy wasn't brought in... oblivious to the fact he threw three innings Sunday night after a three-hour delay.
There was a lot of other BS from back there... just after they finished a discussion about a why they should care when a friend "gets up in an ex-girlfriend's face" at a bar, they decide to go. "This party sucks. Let's go to the North Side."

Good ****ing riddance. :rolleyes:

chidonez
04-05-2006, 10:42 PM
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about these bandwagon threads is the implication that if someone doesn't know every minute detail about the team's history, (s)he's not a true fan. I moved to Chicago in 2001, and chose to become a Sox fan for three reasons: 1) I've always been an American League fan (nothing to do with the DH debate), 2) the Sox were the team in town that played my brand of baseball (I also lived in Bridgeport), and 3) I have a rule about rooting for hometown teams -- I've lived in Seattle, Boston, and San Diego too. It would have been tempting for some people to remain a BoSox fan, at that time.

I hope I'm still accepted as a true Sox fan despite my need to read-up on team history. So there are fair-weather-flyers at the game. That comes with getting respect in town, which many of us have been carping about for some time. You never know, there have been rumors that the Trib is considering selling the team -- a number stock analysts have been calling for it.

I guess I'll keep wearing my 2004 road jacket for the smideon of cred it gives me.

/My 2 cents

NoNeckEra
04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about these bandwagon threads is the implication that if someone doesn't know every minute detail about the team's history, (s)he's not a true fan. Excellent point.
There is a difference between a BWJ and a casual fan. If this thread is just for fun, great. But all this about BWJ stinks. Why don' the Sox just play at Kane County where all the supposed "true" fans can have them all to themselves?
Come on. Chicago's a big city. How else are we going to draw 3 million fans without most of them being clueless casual fans?

soxinem1
04-06-2006, 07:15 AM
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about these bandwagon threads is the implication that if someone doesn't know every minute detail about the team's history, (s)he's not a true fan. I moved to Chicago in 2001, and chose to become a Sox fan for three reasons: 1) I've always been an American League fan (nothing to do with the DH debate), 2) the Sox were the team in town that played my brand of baseball (I also lived in Bridgeport), and 3) I have a rule about rooting for hometown teams -- I've lived in Seattle, Boston, and San Diego too. It would have been tempting for some people to remain a BoSox fan, at that time.

I hope I'm still accepted as a true Sox fan despite my need to read-up on team history. So there are fair-weather-flyers at the game. That comes with getting respect in town, which many of us have been carping about for some time. You never know, there have been rumors that the Trib is considering selling the team -- a number stock analysts have been calling for it.

I guess I'll keep wearing my 2004 road jacket for the smideon of cred it gives me.

/My 2 cents

I don't think that's the point here, or mine originally when I started the BWJ threads. if you are new to something, then show it with pride! I have no problem with a fan saying that, hey, they like the Sox due to their recent sucess. They can ask all the questions they like, I'll be happy to answer and welcome them to the dawn of a new era.

But when someone tries to pass themselves off as knowledgeable and makes extremely erroneous statements (like 'Ozzie was part of the Winning Ugly team') or makes wisea** remarks about subjects they have little or no knowledge about, then they open themselves up for criticism.

One thing though. Chanting throw the ball back, the overdoing beer consumption, and swearing are nothing new. In fact, the colorful language was more prevaling in Comiskey than at Reinsdorf Field. This goes back to the mid-70's at Comiskey for me. It may go back further but I was too young to remember before that.

Sure a lot of our younger fans may have never heard of Lloyd Allen, Harry Chappas, or Tommie Sisk, and nobody said you have to become a stathound just because you have taken a liking to the Sox. Just don't pretens to be what you are not.

I mean, geez, if you come to see the Sox just because they are Champs, just say so, don't try to pass yourself off as some long-time loyalist because you'll end up looking stupid (and risk being mentioned in this thread!!)

niqui
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
The only thing that makes me uncomfortable about these bandwagon threads is the implication that if someone doesn't know every minute detail about the team's history, (s)he's not a true fan.
Meh. I don't know every minute detail of the team's history. (I have friends who do, if I have questions!) I don't think it's got to be knowing history that makes someone a real fan. Just genuine enthusiasm and caring about what happens, and ... okay, it's nice if you can tell the pitchers apart or pronounce the players' names :D: but watching the games and expecting your guys to do good work, supporting them when they win and when they stink up the joint, that's what's important, I think. Actually if some new fan acts like they're interested in the game and are enthusiastic I could care less if they can't distinguish between, like, Jermaine Dye and Brandon McCarthy. They can figure that stuff out. It's caring about the game that you can't learn.

Swanky new jerseys and season tickets do not a real fan make, though a real fan might have those things. Sticking it out through the end of the ninth when it's cold and windy and misting just enough rain so they won't call it, and your guys are blowing it big time, because you came to see the Sox play and "that's what you do," that's the sort of thing that makes a fan. Or at least that's what I tell myself when that happens. :cool:

Oooohkay, off my soapbox now. Hopefully I didn't put my foot in my mouth!

itsnotrequired
04-06-2006, 12:30 PM

/My 2 cents

Excellent post. I too am not a life-long fan and only started rooting for the team back in 2002 (moved to Chicago in 2001). Same deal with rooting for teams in the town I live in. I'm from Wisconsin and will always be a Brewers, Packers and Bucks fan but at the same time can offer up support for the Chicago teams.

I have to admit it is hard rooting for the Chicago teams due to the very nature of the Wisconsin vs. Illinois competition (especially for Packers-Bears). Rooting for the Blackhawks is easy since Wisconsin has no NHL team. Same deal with rooting for the Sox. They play in a whole different league than the Brewers so my "conflict of interest" issue is vastly minimized. If there was a Sox-Brewers World Series, I think my world would explode.:D:

voodoochile
04-06-2006, 12:49 PM
We need some hired goons at the game

sidenote: cant security be called for unruly fans or just jagbags in general?

Loud swearing is grounds for ejection. If they come back and continue to act like *******s, tell the usher to keep an eye on them.

Odds are they will get told to tone it down. Then they will start accusing you or others of having tattled on them and get into a righteous fit of indignation at the way they have been abused. With any luck they will cuss up a storm and get ejected. If they have season tickets they may have them revoked if they continue to act like buffoons...

minutia
04-06-2006, 12:55 PM
[quote=ChiSoxGirl]There are what seem to be two bandwagon jumpers who have season tickets (the weekend plan) right next to a girl I go to games with a lot- close to the right field foul pole.

What jerks. Last season my brother and I were having a discussion about Randy Johnson and how over rated he tends to be. Mind you, this was a quiet 2 person discussion. The dudes in the row ahead of us heard part of our conversation and got very mad and started yelling at us about how stupid the both of us were. My brother and I looked at them and said "um, were we taliking to you?" They were relentless but fellow Sox fans around us helped us in shutting them up and when the Yankees took a turn for the worst they took off their Yankees caps, put their Cubs caps back on and ran like rats when the lights go on.
I think if at the next game they persist you definatley should involve Guest Services. Yelling obscenities at you is not acceptable.

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Loud swearing is grounds for ejection. If they come back and continue to act like *******s, tell the usher to keep an eye on them.

Odds are they will get told to tone it down. Then they will start accusing you or others of having tattled on them and get into a righteous fit of indignation at the way they have been abused. With any luck they will cuss up a storm and get ejected. If they have season tickets they may have them revoked if they continue to act like buffoons...

That's what I'm worried about... what the wrath from them would be if they found out it was me who informed a Guest Service person or security guard about them. Something tells me they wouldn't hesitate to take their anger out on a chick.

If that behavior of their kept up, is that grounds for their season tickets being revoked? Can something like that actually happen???

By the way, it was nice to meet you at Puffer's Saturday.

jdm2662
04-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I was at Sunday's game, way up in section 546. Other than some idiots that cheered when Jim Thome popped up into short center field in the first ("Are we at Wrigley" my bro said...), I didn't really come across any dumb people or behavior. My brother and I seldomly ever talk during the game unless it's comments relating to the game. (And, that's the NUMBER ONE rule when going/watching a game with me. Only talk about the game, period). Everything else I usually phase out. Of course, with the fools some of you have encountered this week, it's quite the challenge...

MVP
04-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Truthfully, I don't mind the bandwangon jumpers at all. I myself have been a loyal Sox fan for over 20 years and know most everything there is to know about the Sox history, but still like the fact that new people are coming to our ballpark.

For much of the time that I've been a Sox fan, I've seen our ballpark only halfway full or less- even when we were in the race. The new people coming into our ballpark may not have all the knowledge we have, but they are helping to creating a buzz around our favorite team- and that's a great thing. As long as they keep coming, our team's revenue will continue to increase. That revenue increase is bound to go into our team and hopefully help keep us competetive for a very long time. That's all I'm worried about. I say keep the fans coming- it's good for our team- even if it means I don't get tickets to all the games I want to go see. Go Sox!!

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 03:56 PM
That's what I'm worried about... what the wrath from them would be if they found out it was me who informed a Guest Service person or security guard about them. Something tells me they wouldn't hesitate to take their anger out on a chick.

If that behavior of their kept up, is that grounds for their season tickets being revoked? Can something like that actually happen???

Im sure the whitesox army would be there to protect ya luv

Also, perhaps we should make wsi pins to identify us in the crowd, like secret socieites, then we can incorportate a handshake, so i can go to north carolina, get a pizza from voodoo, him realize who i am, punch me in the face and throw me out, sans pizza

but yeah to my initial point, im sure sox army fans would be there to assist against these heathens

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Im sure the whitesox army would be there to protect ya luv

Also, perhaps we should make wsi pins to identify us in the crowd, like secret socieites, then we can incorportate a handshake, so i can go to north carolina, get a pizza from voodoo, him realize who i am, punch me in the face and throw me out, sans pizza

but yeah to my initial point, im sure sox army fans would be there to assist against these heathens

Thanks, man! I'm definitely going to keep the Guest Service/security thing in mind for the next game I'm at and sitting in that section (which won't be until May I believe). Those two jags really made Tuesday's game a rather unenjoyable experience. I've always been complimented for keeping score (in a scorebook nonetheless), never made fun of for it.

I like the idea of wearing something discrete to represent WSI when we're at games. I have seen many WSIers and the two games I've been to already this year, but that's because we've all met before. I always wonder who sitting near me is from WSI that I don't know. I enjoy meeting new members as often as I can. :smile:

StockdaleForVeep
04-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks, man! I'm definitely going to keep the Guest Service/security thing in mind for the next game I'm at and sitting in that section (which won't be until May I believe). Those two jags really made Tuesday's game a rather unenjoyable experience. I've always been complimented for keeping score (in a scorebook nonetheless), never made fun of for it.

I like the idea of wearing something discrete to represent WSI when we're at games. I have seen many WSIers and the two games I've been to already this year, but that's because we've all met before. I always wonder who sitting near me is from WSI that I don't know. I enjoy meeting new members as often as I can. :smile:
The batman and i were discussing ideas, like just goin to centre field and havin a banner sayin "Wsi" or pay for a msg on the jumbotron saying "ncorgbl bites it"(whitesox.com joke) or that i should get stockdaleforveep on the back of the jersey that shall not be named

yeah i wonder if neighbors next to me are wsi'ers, so i tend to speak wsi talk and see if someone picks up on it

voodoochile
04-07-2006, 12:50 AM

Yes, they can and do revoke season tickets. I have no idea if they refund the money, but they can void the tickets very easily with the electronic system they have in place.

I had season tickets to the Bears for 18 years. One year first game of the season some guy I have never seen before sits down next to us and starts telling us how drunk he is. He was being cool until he reached down to the lady in front of us and gave her a head rub, mussing her hair. She didn't think he was funny. She didn't know it was him. The next week, both my buddy who I sat with and me got calls from a McCaskey family member asking us about the incident. It was very clear that our seats and privileges were on the line if he didn't like our answers.

It was nice to meet you too.

Edit: You could always go sit elsewhere to get away from the clown and while passing an usher explain your prediciment. "I am going to go sit elsewhere because the guy I am sitting next to is an idiot who swears all the time and I am afraid he will hit me if he thinks I reported him." Then point the guy out discretely using your ticket stub and walk to another seat.

RealMenWearBlack
04-07-2006, 01:34 AM
The batman and i were discussing ideas, like just goin to centre field and havin a banner sayin "Wsi" or pay for a msg on the jumbotron saying "ncorgbl bites it"(whitesox.com joke) or that i should get stockdaleforveep on the back of the jersey that shall not be named

yeah i wonder if neighbors next to me are wsi'ers, so i tend to speak wsi talk and see if someone picks up on it

You could get the message on the board at Core of the Core possibly.

StockdaleForVeep
04-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Yes, they can and do revoke season tickets. I have no idea if they refund the money, but they can void the tickets very easily with the electronic system they have in place.

I had season tickets to the Bears for 18 years. One year first game of the season some guy I have never seen before sits down next to us and starts telling us how drunk he is. He was being cool until he reached down to the lady in front of us and gave her a head rub, mussing her hair. She didn't think he was funny. She didn't know it was him. The next week, both my buddy who I sat with and me got calls from a McCaskey family member asking us about the incident. It was very clear that our seats and privileges were on the line if he didn't like our answers.

It was nice to meet you too.

Edit: You could always go sit elsewhere to get away from the clown and while passing an usher explain your prediciment. "I am going to go sit elsewhere because the guy I am sitting next to is an idiot who swears all the time and I am afraid he will hit me if he thinks I reported him." Then point the guy out discretely using your ticket stub and walk to another seat.

Is the policy being "if u violate Terms of service, u lose your tickets" or whatnot? Cuz i could see people suing\fighting against the organization because they purchased the tickets and i dont think they can justify bannin someone for bein an unruly fan just for swearing. Itd have to be a severe infraction

voodoochile
04-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Is the policy being "if u violate Terms of service, u lose your tickets" or whatnot? Cuz i could see people suing\fighting against the organization because they purchased the tickets and i dont think they can justify bannin someone for bein an unruly fan just for swearing. Itd have to be a severe infraction

Tough to ban anyone permanently with 40K people going to every game, but if you take away their season tickets then it forces them to find other means to go to the game. If they refund the money for the voided games, I don't really see how the person could do anything. Like any entertainment business, the decision to serve someone (be that booze, food or whatever we are serving) is at our discretion. So long as I don't make arbitrary or discriminatory decisions, I can refuse service to anyone.

And yes, loud swearing is grounds for banning. I have seen it happen before several times. If you get banned two or three times for swearing, I would assume they would just revoke your tickets permanently.

Dan Mega
04-07-2006, 10:43 AM
In the first two innings, I think I was asked to get up five times! :angry: Trying to be patient, I let it slide.

I went to a game last year where we sat next to a family with 4 small children that could not sit still. The kids spilled on us, threw food at us, kicked our chairs, and yelled at us. Finally my buddy and I asked the parents if they could control their children and we got the "how dare you tell me how to parent my kids" speech. By the 6th inning we told security and they gave us the "what are we gonna do, they're just kids" speech. That got us fuming:angry: .

If you're going to bring your brats to the ballpark, please keep them under control!

itsnotrequired
04-07-2006, 10:57 AM
If you're going to bring your brats to the ballpark, please keep them under control!

That's why I buy my brats from the vendor's inside the park. *groan*

:D:

ssidehitmen
04-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I have to say I enjoy the games more now that the park is full. Maybe it's just me but I thought going along with 19,000 other fans gave the game a little bit too much of a relaxed feel. Bandwagoners will bandwagon, so you might as well let them enjoy their night at the ballpark and you could do the same.

chooper
04-13-2006, 12:24 AM
There were some guys at the 4/5 game that were chanting for Mackowiak, but they were saying "Mack-uh-whack, Mack-uh-whack"

OkStateSox
04-13-2006, 12:32 AM
I have to say I enjoy the games more now that the park is full. Maybe it's just me but I thought going along with 19,000 other fans gave the game a little bit too much of a relaxed feel. Bandwagoners will bandwagon, so you might as well let them enjoy their night at the ballpark and you could do the same.
Thats my philosophy. The atmosphere is just better when there are more butts in the seats, even if they arent chearing as hard or are somewhat ignorant. Besides jumping on the bandwagon of a profesional team for a while isnt half as ridiculous as jumping on the bandwagon of a college team.

kninchicago
04-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Tonight's sad loss was made even worse by the fairweather fans around me. The woman in front of me made the clever remark that we should change the lyrics to "Take me out to the ballgame" to "If they don't win it's the same". OH HAHAHAHAH!!!! Aren't you a clever one!!! What, was this woman in a coma for the past year?

If she sounds bad the people behind her were even worse. They spent about 3-4 innings talking about how they were the first to discover Whitesnake in the 80s and how the first concerts they went to were NKOTB and Debbie Gibson at the top of their ****ing lungs because they were loaded (I hope...if they weren't then they're even stupider than I figured). By the time they ended their inane dribble it was the 8th inning and they spent the rest of the game saying "Oh my god....we've been here over three hours and it's still not over!!!" One of them made the clever remark "I guess we're sitting in the fair weather fans section HAHAHA!!!" I was so tempted to turn around and tell them that no one would stop them from leaving at any time, but I decided to be polite. If people want to go to a baseball game and treat the park like it's an extension of Lincoln Park then they're best off headed to Clark and Addison.

:angry::angry::angry:

FoulkeFan
04-15-2006, 06:40 AM
If people want to go to a baseball game and treat the park like it's an extension of Lincoln Park then they're best off headed to Clark and Addison.

:angry::angry::angry:

Speaking of Clark and Addison...

On one of the Toronto home runs, they showed the fans who caught it high fiving each other and cheering afterwards. Also, one of the guys was doing the cell phone thing. Sigh.

C-Dawg
04-15-2006, 07:04 AM
In the first two innings, I think I was asked to get up five times!

LOL Yeah I remember a game in the late 70s where there were some real "active" kids down the row from us who were getting up all the time. As soon as one would return from the bathroom, concession area, or whatever, the next one would get up. Eventually my dad started to get mad so he got up and walked down the aisle back and forth in front of them a couple times, for no apparent reason, of course making them all get up from their seats. My mom became FURIOUS and dragged him back to his seat.... The funny part was she still remembers it to this day; she claims she almost died of embarassment. She is still mad at him because of it I think.

Oh well. I like aisle seats but their big drawback is I have to get up every time someone has to get out of the row. I usually don't drink, so I can usually sit there for 9 innings without getting up. Heck maybe I should look into seats in the middle of the row!

soxinem1
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know if these people just seem to find me, but this one was classic:

Waiting in the concession line, here's this guy with a cub hat on saying he's 'Die-hard Chicago', whatever that means, but wears no Sox stuff. As he's talking about how great the Sox are, he asks his buddy:

'How come Borchard and Gload are barely playing this year? With Anderson and Podsednik struggling, they should be used more, right?'

'Buddy' informs 'Die-Hard' that Borchard was traded to Seattle for Lou Thornton.

Lou Thornton? Wasn't he an OF with the Blue Jays in, like, 1985? Okay, he made an innocent mistake.

But the best line comes when they are all of a sudden talking about the Derek Lee situation and 'Buddy' says the cubs should trade Shawn Marshall, Rich Hill, and Felix Pie for Miguel Cabrera, or Pie for Alfonso Soriano. 'Die-Hard' responds that Pie should not be part of any deal, he is the future of the cubs.

I guess the despiration trade ideas are okay, but they pronounced his name Pie as in apple, not Pee-ay as it is proper.

Not be be a technicrat, but if you claim to be a 'Die-hard', shouldn't you at least pronounce your players names correctly, or know when players are no longer with the team?

credefan24
04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
At the game yesterday, during the 7th inning stretch, the girl in back of me sang "root root root for the cubbies." I turned around and must have given her the dirteist look, because I heard her say, "what's the matter with that guy?"
Luckily, her husband/boyfriend/poor guy/ said, "well, we aren't up north, so you shouldn't really talk that way." Classic!

On top of it, when Mauer hit his HR, ( I think it was Mauer), the same broad says "throw it back!" (Never mind we were behind home plate and im sure the fan didn't hear her). Same guy says, "darling, they don't do that here."

Poor dude, I hope he signed a pre-nup.

rocky biddle
04-24-2006, 12:28 PM
But the best line comes when they are all of a sudden talking about the Derek Lee situation and 'Buddy' says the cubs should trade Shawn Marshall, Rich Hill, and Felix Pie for Miguel Cabrera, or Pie for Alfonso Soriano. 'Die-Hard' responds that Pie should not be part of any deal, he is the future of the cubs.

I guess the despiration trade ideas are okay, but they pronounced his name Pie as in apple, not Pee-ay as it is proper.

Not be be a technicrat, but if you claim to be a 'Die-hard', shouldn't you at least pronounce your players names correctly, or know when players are no longer with the team?

This conversation took place almost verbatim on one of the Sat. afternoon sports talk shows. I'm assuming the guys heard the show and were trying to pass it off as their own original ideas.

Last week I heard a guy on the train say that 'Matt Murdock' was his favorite player. world's greatest fans...

soxinem1
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
This conversation took place almost verbatim on one of the Sat. afternoon sports talk shows. I'm assuming the guys heard the show and were trying to pass it off as their own original ideas.

Last week I heard a guy on the train say that 'Matt Murdock' was his favorite player. world's greatest fans...

What show was that? Did they call him (Apple) Pie too?

Jaffar
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Better late then never? Here are the guys that were sleeping by the 2nd inning of the ring day ceremony game. Section 156 like row 16 seats 5 and 6 approx location. People were yelling at them and taking pictures and they just slept right through it. I should have posted these the day after the game since I was sitting with Soxinem1.

soxinem1
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Better late then never? Here are the guys that were sleeping by the 2nd inning of the ring day ceremony game. Section 156 like row 16 seats 5 and 6 approx location. People were yelling at them and taking pictures and they just slept right through it. I should have posted these the day after the game since I was sitting with Soxinem1.

Great shot! I remember these yahoos! Come for the booze, stay for the recliners!!

C-Dawg
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM

Anyone hear the caller on the Post Game show Sunday who was talking about his new favorite player "Yurrbay" and the great new slugger "Thome" <rhymes with HOME ? Bryan Dolgin was trying to play along but almost cracked up a couple times.

Finally it became obvious it was all a joke when the caller asked about an assassination attempt on Southpaw, and he mentioned the old mascots "Reefer and Roobarb".