PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the first Sox player to put their ring on EBay?

Dadawg_77
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
And how much would you pay for it? We all know this will happen at some point.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
And how much would you pay for it? We all know this will happen at some point.Not in a million years.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Actually I don't think that will happen. These guys seem like responsible individuals. I can't imagine any of them getting into such a financial situation that they would do something like this.....OK I can think of one guy...Willie Harris but outside of that does ANYBODY think A.J. or Buehrle or Everett or Paulie would do such a thing?

Neither did I.

Lip

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Actually I don't think that will happen. These guys seem like responsible individuals. I can't imagine any of them getting into such a financial situation that they would do something like this.....OK I can think of one guy...Willie Harris but outside of that does ANYBODy think A.J. or Buehrle or Everett or Paulie would do such a thing?

Neither did I.

Lip

Or if they did it, the last thing they'd do would be to admit it!

pearso66
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Or if they did it, the last thing they'd do would be to admit it!

Well they had their names on the ring, so if someone sold it, you'd know who it belonged to.

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I saw a Yankee had one up for sale yesterday. Wettleland

http://cgi.ebay.com/96-Authentic-NY-Yankees-World-Series-Championship-Ring_W0QQitemZ8920739443QQcategoryZ92915QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Dadawg_77
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Actually I don't think that will happen. These guys seem like responsible individuals. I can't imagine any of them getting into such a financial situation that they would do something like this.....OK I can think of one guy...Willie Harris but outside of that does ANYBODy think A.J. or Buehrle or Everett or Paulie would do such a thing?

Neither did I.

Lip
Don't think a Pedro Lopez would sell it? Chris Widger? Raul Casanova? Jon Adkins? David Sanders? It doesn't have to be big name any player with a day on the 25 will receive a ring, I believe.

gobears1987
04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Maybe some of those guys, but not Widger. His story was an amazing one last year. He will probably cherish the ring for that reason.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Farmeo said 432 rings were made and distributed. He also said most of the time, the team issues a slightly different ring to the players as they do to everyone else (office, management, etc.). This was not the case with the 2005 Rings.

I would assume many will be sold over the years from non players.

Sadly, at some point even a former White Sox player will sell their ring. I wouldn't want to fathom who would be in such rough straits nor wish that on any of the players.

itsnotrequired
04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Farmeo said 432 rings were made and distributed. He also said most of the time, the team issues a slightly different ring to the players as they do to everyone else (office, management, etc.). This was not the case with the 2005 Rings.

Really? Wow, that surprises me. Awesome move by the Sox though; those rings aren't cheap.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Can we close this thread? They've not owned the rings for 24 hours and we're already trying to figure out who's gonna sell one first?? This is depressing.... :o:

1951Campbell
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
OK I can think of one guy...Willie Harris but outside of that does ANYBODY think A.J. or Buehrle or Everett or Paulie would do such a thing?

Neither did I.

Lip

I got ten bucks that says Willie is first to sell and another ten that BafiaRocks is the buyer.

rjdmichjr
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Willie or how about Big Frank?....!!!!!

FedEx227
04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I think most of us should be in agreement that Timo would be the first to sell it... preferrably so he can get a suit for his cousin's weeding.

I got ten bucks that says Willie is first to sell and another ten that BafiaRocks is the buyer.
Hahaha...
1st Bid- 6 BA-GILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D::tongue:

LuvSox
04-04-2006, 09:39 PM

:kneeslap:

TheDarkGundam
04-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Not if Minnie_Me has something to say about it.
Unless Pablo "Cruise Missle" Ozuna puts his on eBay first. :rolleyes:

Frontman
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
The most bitter of them? Possibly one who is no longer with the team?

It wouldn't be Frank. He waited far too long to get one to ever part with it.

I'd have to say someone like Everett. Someone who can't look at last season with any perspective.

Rowand will probably never part with it, given his love for the team, and the team's love back. As well as the fans.

MUsoxfan
04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I'd have to say someone like Everett. Someone who can't look at last season with any perspective.

You don't think someone who spent 15 years busting his ass in MLB without winning a ring and finally gets one has any perspective? You don't think someone that was extraordinarily happy after Game 4 and said "This is for Chi-town...Southside!" has any perspective? Interesting

gbergman
04-05-2006, 02:12 AM
I doubt anyone would, but if i won one i never would sell it. Also, if a player does sell one from the sox and i have the money i will buy it though

Frontman
04-05-2006, 07:39 AM
You don't think someone who spent 15 years busting his ass in MLB without winning a ring and finally gets one has any perspective? You don't think someone that was extraordinarily happy after Game 4 and said "This is for Chi-town...Southside!" has any perspective? Interesting

Yeah, I do. The years of players beginning and ending their careers with the same team are long gone, and I don't get how players with the experience can't understand that while younger players like Rowand do.

In a perfect world, Frank would of not only have retired as a Sox player, but wouldn't of had to sit out the WS with a screwed up ankle. If life was fair, his WS experience would of been as an active player. But he wasn't, he still won a ring. The world isn't perfect.

And Everett was never the player that Frank was for us. If the Sox organization felt it was time for Frank to move on, why on Earth would Everett think he would be more valuable than Frank to the team? O. Hernandez gets it, Rowand gets it, Everett didn't and still doesn't.

Front

LongLiveFisk
04-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Carl Everett? :dunno:

Chicken Dinner
04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Shingo, Walker, Borchard Adkins, or Timo.

thepaulbowski
04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
These guys make more money in one year than many players of the past did in a career. I doubt you would see any for sale for a long time.

Kinda off topic, But Moose was on CBS yesterday and he was trying to find a buyer for World Series Ring from when he was with the Dodgers.

LongLiveFisk
04-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know the estimated value of the official championship ring, while we're talking about it?

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 07:56 PM
The newspapers reported that the guess was around 20,000 per ring. It has a combined two carats in diamonds.

Lip

Brian26
04-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Don't think a Pedro Lopez would sell it? Chris Widger? Raul Casanova? Jon Adkins? David Sanders? It doesn't have to be big name any player with a day on the 25 will receive a ring, I believe.

Other than Widger, did any of those other guys actually get rings?

FedEx227
04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Yes I'm pretty sure they all did. JR passed out 430 of these things everyone and their mothers associate with the White Sox got one.

whitesoxwilkes
04-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I saw a Yankee had one up for sale yesterday. Wettleland

http://cgi.ebay.com/96-Authentic-NY-Yankees-World-Series-Championship-Ring_W0QQitemZ8920739443QQcategoryZ92915QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
I'm pretty sure that's a salesman's sample, only because I came across a Jeter one marked as such on eBay today.

Apparently they're the authentic rings, but just extras that were cast with a certain player's name on them.

southsider13
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Everett.

soxfan13
04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Carl Everett? :dunno:

I dont think he would but he is the one pretty big name player that if it happened I wouldnt be surprised

lostletters
04-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Adkins - Not a regular roster player and will be out of baseball very soon.

I do not think Willie Harris will sell it. It is the one story he will have to tell his kids and grandkids about his baseball career. He may have not been an every day player, he may have not lived up to his expectations, but he did score the winning run of the world series for the white sox. Nobody will ever take it away from him. To me he will be the last person to sell it, it is too sentimental. I think this is more so with Willie then any other person.

A WS ring was one of Franks career goals. Even though he is bitter, I think part of his bitterness comes from the fact he would have liked to play in the WS and knew the Sox have a very good chance of doing it again.

That comes down to Adkins or Borchard. I think Borchard will be a bench player journeyman and stay in baseball. He may or may not keep the ring.

miker
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
The newspapers reported that the guess was around 20,000 per ring. It has a combined two carats in diamonds.

Lip
Wow, that's definitely more than three months of my salary! :smile:

Everytime this topic comes up, I always hear that the players would rather have the championship than the money. The ones that sell have either fallen on hard times and/or what the ring symbolizes is no longer meaningful to them. Terry Bradshaw just donated all of his "trinkets" to Louisiana Tech. (Of course, when Terry Bradshaw is your example, your point might be flawed.)

I imagine we would see a front office person sell before a player.

RadioheadRocks
04-20-2006, 02:38 AM
If this article is any indication I don't think any of them will be selling theirs any time soon. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060419&content_id=1408582&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Kuzman
04-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Shingo Takatsu