PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/04/06 Sox lose to the Injuns postgame thread

Jjav829
04-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Well, that sucked. :?:

Nice to see Thome continue to stay red hot, though.

SoxSpeed22
04-04-2006, 03:43 PM
If there's any positive, at least Jenks looked pretty good out there.

gbergman
04-04-2006, 03:43 PM
thome i guess is unanimous pick to click

Uncle_Patrick
04-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Freddy was off, the offense was weak. There's no way we repeat!!!!!

Oh well, tomorrow's another day and another game.

lostletters
04-04-2006, 03:45 PM
That hurt.

Now win the series tommorow guys.

Hopefully JC is ready for Wednesdays game.

Blueprint1
04-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Looks like April for Konerko. Lets win tomorrow.

jdm2662
04-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh well, 161-1 is not a bad record...

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I love Jim Thome.
Freddy: what happened to us?
Losing really sucks.

http://www.yogaschuleaarau.ch/zendoaarau/images/zen_buddha.jpg

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, that was a nice 9 games wouldn't you say? Jeez...

I'm not used to this losing thing. The first time you lose in the regular season is always tougher. Over the winter you kind of forget how to let it go, tomorrow's another day, etc. At least that's how I feel.

But don't worry, I'm taking it out on colleagues and coworkers, not you guys. :thumbsup:

whitesoxfan
04-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, that was a nice 9 games wouldn't you say? Jeez...

I'm not used to this losing thing. The first time you lose in the regular season is always tougher. Over the winter you kind of forget how to let it go, tomorrow's another day, etc. At least that's how I feel.

But don't worry, I'm taking it out on colleagues and coworkers, not you guys. :thumbsup:

yeah the 1st loss always sucks. I'll be happy with taking 2 of 3 though :bandance:

Unregistered
04-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Let's just keep winning series...

Sxy Mofo
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
There goes the perfect season.

CaptainBallz
04-04-2006, 03:54 PM
That was a crapper.

If Freddy had only been in ST the whole time instead of wasting his strength in the WBC....

seventyseven
04-04-2006, 03:55 PM
You can cancel the postseason show.

lostletters
04-04-2006, 03:55 PM
As Ozzie says the key to the begining of the season is winning series. So hopefully Jose pitches a great game and the white sox win.

Also the last two nights have made me less concerned about our bullpen. Especially with regards to Thorton and Jenks.

It is still the begining of the season a loss was eventually going to come.

And come on Freddy, we all know you can pitch better then that!!

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan
its early, I believe our pitchers will get better as the season goes on. Hopefully Jose has a good outing tomorrow.

Yup. And Freddy did not look right today. IMO, Ozzie stuck with him just a bit too long, but hey! nobody's paying for my opinion. So I will defer to the Wizard.

On the plus side, the "Legend of Boone Logan" got off to a good start, and Big Bad Bobby looked good. C'mon gang, we weren't going to win them all. The important thing--to paraphrase Kenny--is to win the last game played!

gbergman
04-04-2006, 03:57 PM
:tealpolice: :tealtutor: You can cancel the postseason show.

gbergman
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan
The important thing--to paraphrase Kenny--is to win the last game played!

unless it means winning 1 game a series

mike squires
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Not a fun game to watch. And honestly after about the 4th I didn't. I just had a feeling it was going to be one of those game that would be out of reach. I wait all winter for baseball and I end up doing laundry. What's wrong with me?

infohawk
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
If there's any positive, at least Jenks looked pretty good out there.
Sounds like the bullpen looked good in general. We get to throw Jose at them tomorrow to try and start the season exactly like we did last year, winning two of three from the Tribe. The really cool thing is that we get to throw Garland, Vazquez and Buerhle at the next team!!!

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
unless it means winning 1 game a series

At the rally, IIRC, Kenny said something like, "We played the last game....and we won it!" So my sentence stands as written: to win the LAST GAME PLAYED.

fuzzy_patters
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Since the Tigers have the day off, we will end the day out of first place for the first time since 2004.

Chip Z'nuff
04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Since the Tigers have the day off, we will end the day out of first place for the first time since 2004.

Don't start getting all statiscal on us. This team has never been about stats.

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Don't start getting all statiscal on us. This team has never been about stats.

Well, I checked out this guy's profile. I was certain he was a troll, but he doesn't seem to be.

However, fuzzy, thanks for pointing this out. Not.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, I checked out this guy's profile. I was certain he was a troll, but he doesn't seem to be.

Fuzzy is totally cool.

fuzzy_patters
04-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Nope, I'm not a troll. I'm just dissapointed that we can't go wire-to-wire again because Detroit got to open with a AAA team.

gbergman
04-04-2006, 04:30 PM
At the rally, IIRC, Kenny said something like, "We played the last game....and we won it!" So my sentence stands as written: to win the LAST GAME PLAYED.

ahh i see what you meant now

Chip Z'nuff
04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Nope, I'm not a troll. I'm just dissapointed that we can't go wire-to-wire again because Detroit got to open with a AAA team.

Keep in mind the Indians had to watch the Sox unveil a world series banner and receive world series rings. That will light a fire under anyone's hynnie.

daveeym
04-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Keep in mind the Indians had to watch the Sox unveil a world series banner and receive world series rings. That will light a fire under anyone's hynnie.I think it would even wake up the Royals.

fuzzy_patters
04-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Keep in mind the Indians had to watch the Sox unveil a world series banner and receive world series rings. That will light a fire under anyone's hynnie.

I call BS. Today's game had nothing to do with Cleveland's behinds. We lost today's game because Freddy pitched like crap. We would have lost to Tampa Bay today.

Chip Z'nuff
04-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I call BS. Today's game had nothing to do with Cleveland's behinds. We lost today's game because Freddy pitched like crap. We would have lost to Tampa Bay today.
Where you see a loss I see a reality check.

CaptainBallz
04-04-2006, 04:39 PM

Well, scoring two runs isn't necessarily going to guarantee many victories either....

lostletters
04-04-2006, 04:40 PM

So true. Freddy was crap. I guess this will go down as one of those 42 garunteed losses.
Jose has pitched well all spring, hopefully he can bring that to the first regular season game he pitches.

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Yeah, let's hope Freddy isn't trying to take a page out of Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn's book from Major League II!

Jake: "Whatever happened to the boring ol' 96-mile-per-hour fastball?"
Wild Thing: "The Terminator? It'll be there when I need it."

(FYI, quotes might not be exact; I've had a few beers. And I intend to have a few more. Welcome to the 2006 baseball season!)

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Where you see a loss I see a reality check.

Another excellent point. As I said earlier, the Sox looked nonchalant. Hopefully this will wake them up because they sure seemed to sleepwalk through today's game. (Except for the first couple of innings; some nice defense played there.)

scottjanssens
04-04-2006, 04:44 PM

If Westbrook was pitching for TB, sure. Give the other guys a little credit at least.

JoeClutch24
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Jose will pitch well tomorrow,and all this celebration after choking in 2005 would get me motivated too.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
yeah the 1st loss always sucks. I'll be happy with taking 2 of 3 though :bandance:[dark clouds]Why can the Sox never win the middle game of a series?

Corlose 15
04-04-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm not too upset about the game today. I was much more upset about the first loss last year. The only thing that worries me was Freddy's velocity. The way DJ was talking made it seem like he's going to be stuck at 89mph on his fastball all year and he's going to have to relearn how to pitch. I really hope thats not the case.:(:

Anyway, time for Jose to come up big tomorrow. Its a must win.:cool:

veeter
I'm completely at a loss. Here we have Freddy Garcia, a power pitcher, who's out there lobbing the ball, getting torched. You have DJ and Hawk who are always with the team, and obviously privy to much more info than any of us, and they're clueless as to what's happening. I mean, DJ is making hugely bold statements that Freddy is changling his style of pitching. This is a HUGE story! I mean is he hurt? Did he lose it? This is the biggest loss of velocity since Billy Koch for God's sake! I can't believe nothings been said. Hopefully Ozzie will fill in the press.

daveeym
[dark clouds]Why can the Sox never win the middle game of a series? The trib has the dark clouds out in full force. "Poll: Is Garcia's performance a cause for concern? (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060404soxpoll,1,7934768.poll?coll=cs-home-headlines)"

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
[dark clouds]Why can the Sox never win the middle game of a series?

One event = trend.

CHISOXFAN13
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Ummmm, I think I'll tip my cap to Westbrook. He pitched very well and was the reason the Sox lost.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 04:53 PM
The trib has the dark clouds out in full force. "Poll: Is Garcia's performance a cause for concern? (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060404soxpoll,1,7934768.poll?coll=cs-home-headlines)"Was there a poll "Is Zambrano's performace a cause for concern?":rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
One event = trend.I can't wait for Homefish's graph.

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I can't wait for Homefish's graph.

Well, so far there's an obvious trend of win one/lose one. At this rate, we're doomed for mediocrity. In other news, life is hopeless and I think I have a lump in the back of my head.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Great atmosphere, great ceremony...loved how the "waiters" circled the mound like the WS trophy flags...:cool:

Team looked flat, except Thome. Go get 'em tomorrow.

minutia
04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I am not that concerened about Freddy. He had a bad outing today. If it continues 5 games from now then maybe I would wonder if he was hurt. Didn't he play in the World Baseball Classic? He would have missed some Spring training that could be a factor. I listened to Ed and Chris on the web and they did not seem to be too alarmed. Hang in there.

itsnotrequired
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Just got back from the game. What can you say? Westbrook had it, Garcia did not. The Sox were hitting the ball pretty hard but unfortunately, directly to Indian players. The Indians had a lot of marshmallow hits but hey, a hit is a hit.

The ring ceremony was great and the applause for Rowand was HUGE! Good stuff. I didn't know that there would be another flyover so that was a nice surprise. The randomness continues as I bumped into IronFisk, ChiSoxGirl and robiwho up on the Fundamentals. They were all wearing their rings like it was some kind of Mr. T convention.:cool:

The ring looks pretty darn sweet, too.

SpartanSoxFan
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Couldn't this just be a bad outing? How was Garcia's velocity in the Cactus League/WBC this Spring?

Cuck the Fubs
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Well you knew they weren't going to go 162- 0.

The Tribe is a good ballclub, gotta keep that in mind. These are not the Royals!

Freddy's loss of velocity may be a sign for concern, we'll just have to wait & see.

In the meantime, the bigger goal has to be to win each series like we did last season.

Go get em' Jose, I'll be there tomorrow to cheer ya on!:D:

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, so far there's an obvious trend of win one/lose one. At this rate, we're doomed for mediocrity. In other news, life is hopeless and I think I have a lump in the back of my head. I was thinking more like this:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4153&d=1144189412

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Was there a poll "Is Zambrano's performace a cause for concern?":rolleyes:
C'mon, let's be fair (sort of). The Cubs won that game. But of course I see your point; I'm pretty sure that--had they lost it--no such poll would have appeared in the Cubune. We would probably have been treated to something like
POLL: Wasn't Zambrano a plucky little soldier?

However, enough about the Cubune; let's get back to real life. IMO, EVERY Zambrano performance is a cause for concern--if you're a Cub fan. But if you don't give a rat's ass what the Cubs do--well then, not so much! :cool:

I am now officially done talking about--or, for that matter, giving a **** about--Zambrano.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2006, 05:48 PM
A bad outing... it happens and it's expected given the circumstances of the past three days.

Now however it's time to put away the 'toys' and start winning enough friggin' games to put the team in a position to do it again this October.

That starts with tomorrow. Take the damn game, win the opening series, start setting the tone.

Lip

MUsoxfan
04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Lots of distractions today for the Sox. I'd be distracted too if I was just handed a World Series ring. Tomorrow will bring better results

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
A bad outing... it happens and it's expected given the circumstances of the past three days.

Now however it's time to put away the 'toys' and start winning enough friggin' games to put the team in a position to do it again this October.

That starts with tomorrow. Take the damn game, win the opening series, start setting the tone.

Lip

Er, pardon me all to hell, Lip, but aren't you the dude who said it didn't matter if we repeated? :tongue:

Meanwhile, I am remiss in pointing something out. When that Tribe lowlife hit the HR, what the hell was up with all the (clearly audible) shouts of "Throw It Back"? How the hell did those jerks get tickets? I did notice, however, that the cacophony subsided quickly. Can I assume that Sox fans let those chuckleheads know that this is not the Urinal?

I do solemnly swear that, when I am at the COTC game, if someone starts yelling "Throw it back," I will throw him or her back!:mad:

Chisox003
04-04-2006, 06:03 PM

Lip
Yup.

Time for the 2006 White Sox, 2005 is a loooong time ago.

By the way, this is the first time we've been .500 since 2004. Scary

HomeFish
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
If Westbrook was pitching for TB, sure. Give the other guys a little credit at least.

If we lost 1-0 or even 3-2, then yes, credit Westbrook.

But with the way Freddy was serving up walks and longballs, with the way the defense sleepwalked, with the weak lineup we had, we would have lost even if we replaced Westbrook with some run-of-the-mill average starter. Westbrook was not the decisive factor; Garcia and the defense was the decisive factor.

Corpseball has returned to the South Side, ladies and gentlemen. For how long, we'll have to see.

MUsoxfan
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Corpseball has returned to the South Side, ladies and gentlemen. For how long, we'll have to see.

:o::rolleyes:

You have to be ****ing kidding me. That is the most insane thing I've seen on these boards in months (and I've read many of OkStateSox's posts). I move for anyone who uses that term on these boards to be shown the door for a while. :angry:

HomeFish
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
:o::rolleyes:

You have to be ****ing kidding me. That is the most insane thing I've seen on these boards in months (and I've read many of OkStateSox's posts). I move for anyone who uses that term on these boards to be shown the door for a while. :angry:

Do you disagree that Freddy and the defense looked corpse-like out there today?

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 06:11 PM

But with the way Freddy was serving up walks and longballs, with the way the defense sleepwalked, with the weak lineup we had, we would have lost even if we replaced Westbrook with some run-of-the-mill average starter. Westbrook was not the decisive factor; Garcia and the defense was the decisive factor.

Corpseball has returned to the South Side, ladies and gentlemen. For how long, we'll have to see.I'm really starting to look forward to these after a loss. :roflmao:

SBSoxFan
04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Yes.

Freddy always looks like that!

As for the defense, did you see the first 2 innings?

MUsoxfan
04-04-2006, 06:12 PM

Of course I disagree. Freddy and the defense didn't look corpse-like at all. Freddy looked fat and clearly didn't have his best stuff today, but everyone has those days. I don't know what you expected from the defense. Mackowiak was supposed to catch the uncatchable? It was a tough day for Freddy, but corpseball is a term that should be retired because of people like yourself that use it out of context.

TheOldRoman
04-04-2006, 06:16 PM
I was at the game, and it was great to see the ceremony. As for the game, well, there isn't much I can say other than Thome is a beast.

I am impressed with WSI. I thought for sure this thread would be a wasteland by now. People are really holding it together after an ugly loss. If we lose tomorrow, however, the dark clouds will start dancing in the streets again.

Beer Can Chicken
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
*Official* 4/04/06 Sox lose to the Injuns postgame thread Well, that sucked. :?:

Nice to see Thome continue to stay red hot, though.

Injuns!?! Have to love the racial slurs.

jenn2080
04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Of course I disagree. Freddy and the defense didn't look corpse-like at all. Freddy looked fat and clearly didn't have his best stuff today, but everyone has those days. I don't know what you expected from the defense. Mackowiak was supposed to catch the uncatchable? It was a tough day for Freddy, but corpseball is a term that should be retired because of people like yourself that use it out of context.

I agree I heard alot of people give Rob a hard time. I was hearing lots of people screaming Aaron would have caught that or even better put in Brian Anderson. Freddy was def missing some stuff today but whatever it is the second game of the year and we got a ring and they got a win. I will take the Ring for now. Thome is a stud though. I heard alot of people saying we should not have traded Aaron, but we not have seen that studly homerun today or on Sunday. There is tomorrow boys and girls!!!!!!!!!!

gochisox
04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I was at the game. The atmosphere was awesome. Everyone was in high spirits. I got my replica ring stuck on my ring finger. No good. It was obvious that Freddy didn't have it today. I also thought that Cintron looked like he was out of his element. Am I alone here?

TheOldRoman
04-04-2006, 06:26 PM

:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Beer Can Chicken

:rolleyes:

Well, Roman; I was going to post in defense of JJav--no really!--but I like yours much better! Says it all, but just in case:

Listen up, people! If you want to complain about racial slurs with regard to the Cleveland Indians, then complain to the Cleveland Indians. Or haven't you seen their logo?

RealMenWearBlack
04-04-2006, 06:36 PM
My friend got an amazing video of the fly over from the fundamentals deck and I'll put it on youtube once he sends it to me.

IowaSox1971
04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes.

Freddy always looks like that!

As for the defense, did you see the first 2 innings?

A lot of pitchers experience a "dead-arm" period toward the end of spring training, and since Freddy took part in the WBC this spring, his normal routine might have been thrown off and he might now be in his dead-arm period. So, he could be back to his normal velocity, or closer to it, in a week or two.

In any event, he was very close to getting out of that fourth inning with it still being a 1-0 game. I believe he got the first two guys out before the double by Belliard, and then there were a few possible outs at the plate later in the inning that we didn't get. Granted, these would have been very tough plays, but they still could have been made. If one of those plays is made, then his stats probably end up being much more respectable.

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Ceremony was great, after it ended, it was almost like, 'oh, there's a game after this?'. IIRC the same thing happened to Boston for their ring ceremony. Looked kind of flat, except for Thome's HR, which was a monster shot that you knew was gone when he hit it, he's gonna love this park. Also love the replica, better than I expected, even if it only fits good on my pinky :D

Negatives - no Gene Honda. Couldn't tell from my seats, but the radio on the ride home was going on and on about Freddy's decreased velocity, that semi worries me. Pods also worries me, I think he's hurt, and without him in the mix, it goes back the HR reliant inconsistent offense

Not a big deal, but was also a little depressed about the falling out of first place thing, but got to forget about last year. So far 2 blowouts, but the rest of the games should be good/close game.

RowanDye
04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I only had audio of the game so I'm not really able to judge how much Freddy was sweating today, but there's really no good way to give up 7 in 5.

Freddy will have some bad outings, but he is a gamer and will still win 13-17 games this year.

As stated already the bullpen performance the first two games has been reassuring. We are going to need a bullpen. This whole "we don't need a bullpen as much b/c we have strong starters" is crap. Politte, Cotts, and McCarthy picked up 14 very important wins last year.

The only thing I'm worried about is the reincarnation of GIDPK, 2 in 2 games after only 9 (?) last year. Something for Ozzie to keep an eye on even though I really don't know how he would do anything about it.

Mohoney
04-04-2006, 07:14 PM

It took all of 2 games to get HomeFish into midseason form and throw the term "corpseball" out there. Baseball season has truly gotten underway!

Can this be the inaugural post in HomeFish's 2006 Dark Cloud thread?

Mohoney
04-04-2006, 07:17 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is the reincarnation of GIDPK, 2 in 2 games after only 9 (?) last year. Something for Ozzie to keep an eye on even though I really don't know how he would do anything about it.

Well, he's definitely going to have more than 9 this year, seeing as how our #3 hitter is going to post an OBP above .400 and be in the running for the AL MVP.

MadetoOrta
04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Look at it this way folks, we'll lose another 57+ games this year. If we lost 2 in a row to the Royals, I'd be concerned. We're World Champs!

PaulDrake
04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Do you disagree that Freddy and the defense looked corpse-like out there today? Where the White Sox are concerned I tend to worry too much. You however, seem to enjoy a game like this. It's one game and that's all it means. Win or lose it's hard for me to believe that any team managed by Ozzie Guillen is going to play "corpseball".

Lip Man 1
04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Mary:

Guilty as charged however the difference is if they don't make it back to October at least I and other Sox fans have the memories, the memorabilia, the video's.

:smile:

THAT'S the difference that comes with finally winning a World Series. That doesn't mean however that the Sox are 'allowed' to screw off and tank the season...barring an unbelievable run of injuries I expect at least a 'winning' season. (As I do every season. To me that's the lowest common denominator on how I judge a year....) I've lived through 1968, 1973, 1978, 1984 and 2001. I'd rather not have to do that again!

Lip

oeo
04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Freddy was awful today. Hopefully he can step back in the next time around, but blah...

Only positive was a Thome homerun. I don't know if the rings were in their heads or what, they just did not look good overall. Their mindset was way off, making a lot of stupid errors...and can we please take some pitches?

Still happy to be there, just wish it was a better outcome. We'll get them tomorrow, Ozzie will put them into place.

SABRSox
04-04-2006, 07:37 PM
From what I've been reading over the always credible internet, Freddy is trying to change his pitching style by pacing himself so that he can go longer into games. While I admire the desire to go the distance more often, if he's not being effective it won't really do much good. I bet we might see Freddy try this one more time, and if it doesn't work again, he'll go back to what worked for him before.

Oh well, can't win 'em all. Let's get 'em tomorrow.

soxfanatlanta
04-04-2006, 07:39 PM
THAT'S the difference that comes with finally winning a World Series. That doesn't mean however that the Sox are 'allowed' to screw off and tank the season...barring an unbelievable run of injuries I expect at least a 'winning' season. (As I do every season. To me that's the lowest common denominator on how I judge a year....) I've lived through 1968, 1973, 1978, 1984 and 2001. I'd rather not have to do that again! Lip

You hit the nail on the head, my dad and I always just hoped for an above .500 season over the years. I must admit that I expect more out of them this year, and I'm sure KW, and JR do, too. If they don't get there...what the hell am I saying? They will :gulp:

mccoydp
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Freddy didn't do too hot today...better luck next turn in the rotation.

Glad to see Jenks do well.

Thome is, without a doubt, an animal. Good to see him hungry & productive!

Take the rubber game tomorrow, guys!

buehrle4cy05
04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
We needed to knock Aaron Boone on his ass and make him a little less comfortable in the box. He absolutely killed us today.

On the positive side, the bullpen looked very good. Throw out Cotts' HR to Boone and Boone's 2B to Boone (try to follow that, ha) and it was a very impressive outing by the pen.

MarySwiss
04-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Mary:

Guilty as charged however the difference is if they don't make it back to October at least I and other Sox fans have the memories, the memorabilia, the video's.

:smile:

THAT'S the difference that comes with finally winning a World Series. That doesn't mean however that the Sox are 'allowed' to screw off and tank the season...barring an unbelievable run of injuries I expect at least a 'winning' season. (As I do every season. To me that's the lowest common denominator on how I judge a year....) I've lived through 1968, 1973, 1978, 1984 and 2001. I'd rather not have to do that again!

Lip

Point taken, Lip--and I agree with everything you just said. MY point is that this team is built to be even better than last year's team. Injuries are always a concern, but IMHO, KW has put backups in place to backup the backups. SMART!!!

Hawk said something today about how the toughest challenge will be getting out of the AL Central. I agree with that as well. But I also think we'll get out of the AL Central and beyond. In fact, we'll be right back here next year arguing about the chances of a three-peat!

Book it!

Johnny74
04-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Did anyone else catch Konerko yelling at Cintron after he held on to that ball instead of throwing it home?

Viva Medias B's
04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
CORPSEBALL HAS RETURNED!!!!!!! What a horrible loss today. I can't believe how bad we suck. This team has no heart. They won't win another game all year.

Freddy just didn't have it today. Hopefully, he'll have it better next time he starts. Not that this had anything to do with Garcia's performance today, but it seems he's gained a few pounds since last season.

He almost has more of a Freddy Huebner figure!:tongue:

Don't worry, we'll be fine. We're gonna win at least 60, and we're gonna lose at least 60. It depends upon what we do with the other 42.

Mohoney
04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
In fact, we'll be right back here next year arguing about the chances of a three-peat!

We're going to have, at a minimum, two more chances to win another championship with a rotation featuring 5 200 IP starters.

All I ever asked for was no dead weight 5th starter fiasco in the starting rotation, and now my dream has come true. We're running a tangibly above average starter out there EVERY DAY.

I honestly can't see how this team could lose 5 in a row in any stretch, even the dog days of August. You have to figure that somebody would step up and be the stopper, right? Or am I just insane?

I honestly think that this team has 105+ wins written all over it.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Mohoney:

Anything is possible but 105 wins is unlikely. If you ask me specifically why I'd say that the bullpen is probably going to blow more games then last season. Plus as I said in the preseason prdictions I think the Sox are going to get off to a slow start until Kenny corrects a few things in June. By slow start I mean around 8-10 games over in early June.

Anyway 95 gets the job done just as well since when October 3rd rolls around those who are left all start 0-0.

Lip

HomeFish
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
You however, seem to enjoy a game like this. It's one game and that's all it means.

Hardly. The Sox losing makes me feel very bad. Watching them lose in such a fashion as they lost today makes me feel even worse.

All I said was that this game was very corpseballsy. That's the feeling I got from it. I didn't even predict that it would necessarily continue; note my "for how long, we'll have to see" comment.

caulfield12
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
I donīt know how many different theories there are out there....win 54, lose 54, itīs what you do with the ones in the middle, etc.

Garcia, when he first came up, was throwing 93-96. The last couple of years, heīs usually 90-92 and can get it up to 93 or 94 when he needs it.

His conditioning might be off...but he looked pretty good when I watched him in the WBC (we had all the games down here in Colombia through DirecTV). In fact, I was more concerned about Vazquez, because I always thought he was a low to mid 90īs pitcher and he was consistently 89-91 in the game I watched.

I guess now that Koch is gone, we can start watching the radar with Jenks and Garcia, lol.

Garcia has definitely evolved into more of a finesse pitcher and gets most of his punch-outs on offspeed stuff.

I donīt think this will be a trend...but we have the comfort of knowing that McCarthy is down there to replace a starter. Of course, the problem with that might be McCarthy becoming integral to the pen (like Cotts) and not being easily replaceable. Sean Tracey or Tim Redding just donīt seem to do it for me as the long man.

jabrch
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Some people never cease to amaze me.

thomas35forever
04-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, at least it was our first nine-game winning streak in some time now.

Mohoney
04-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Mohoney:

Anything is possible but 105 wins is unlikely. if you ask me specifically why I'd say that the bullpen is probably going to blow more games then last season. Plus as I said in the preseason prdictions I think the Sox are going to get off to a slow start until Kenny corrects a few things in June. By slow start I mean around 8-10 games over in early June.

Anyway 95 gets the job done just as well since when October 3rd rolls around those who are left all start 0-0.

Lip

OK. That's valid, and maybe I'm drinking too much silver and black Kool Aid, but here's how I derived at 105+ wins:

1) Barring injury, I honestly believe that Jim Thome is going to put up numbers comparable to Ortiz/Manny/ARod in the #3 hole and be in the running for the AL MVP. Considering the fact that our primary LH power hitter last year was Carl Everett, who was a streaky guy, I look at a consistent Thome as a definite upgrade here. I also think that this will have a trickle-down effect on AJ, and he will go back to being more of the good contact hitter that he has been throughout his career now that he won't need to provide as much LH power as he did last year during Everett's slumps.

2) Barring injury, I honestly believe that Javier Vazquez can produce significantly better results than the El Duque/Fingernails combo did in the #5 spot in the rotation last year, and I'm going ahead and figuring 14+ wins, less than 10 losses, 200+ IP, and 180+ Ks for him this year. I really think that this acquisition was great, despite giving up Chris Young, who I really liked.

3) Replacing our bench components of Harris/Blum/Timo with Mackowiak/Cintron/Gload is an obvious upgrade, and a pretty big one at that.

4) I know that this is going out on a limb, but I see Matt Thornton having a better season than Marte did last year, and between him and Cotts, I think that our situational bullpen matchups will benefit here. This is definitely one area where we scuffled in our below .500 August last year, and I applaud KW for trying his best to rectify this.

5) I think that Minnesota is a below .500 club this year due to what I feel is an anemic offense, Detroit is spinning their wheels and will end up below .500 despite the best efforts of Jim Leyland, and Kansas City is going to lose 100+ for the 3rd straight season. As for the Indians, who are probably the only team that can be looked at as legit competition for the AL Central crown, I think that the losses of Millwood and Crisp will prevent them from posting more than a low 90s win total. I definitely don't see any 36-12 stretches out of them this year.

Even assuming that Garland, Politte, and Cotts drop off somewhat from their performances last year, and pretty much guaranteeing that Fingernails and Jenks can't replicate Hermanson's miracle 1st half of last year, I still see a 6+ win upgrade from last year's team. We were tremendous in how balanced we were last year, and I think that we're even more balanced this year.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
If they give points for distance, Thome will win the MVP for sure. Two HR in two games totalling 879 feet. :thud:

GoSox2K3
04-04-2006, 11:01 PM
I heard that Freddy's velocity couldn't top 90 today. How did Freddy do in ST and the WBC? I think because of the WBC, I haven't followed how he was progressing this spring.

I hope the velocity drop off can be chalked up to just a bad outing for him. I'm not worried about one bad outing - as long as it's not because of an injury.

Sox83Kid
04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
I was disappointed in Freddy's outing today, but the Indians were obviously locked in offensively.

On the bright side, today was my first time in the 500 level since the changes were made, and I was quite comfortable. Of course, I had my replica ring, so I could've been sitting on the light tower and felt great! :D:

caulfield12
04-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Garcia is a traditionally slow starter...but he has been off since March 19th now. Over the last 2-3 seasons, he has evolved into more of a breaking pitch and slider pitcher...but there is some cause for concern because this has been an issue for over two weeks now.

He said that he couldnīt break a sweat...couldnīt get warmed up. The guy pitched 249 freaking innings last year.

We have McCarthy, of course, but moving him into the rotation opens up another gaping hole in the pen.

Of course, a Garcia DL stint is the worst case scenario.

Now way the Royals lose 100 games this season...they are much improved in their starting pitching, they have lots of young talent in their bullpen and theyīve added veterans like Sanders, Grudzielanek and Mientkiewicz that will stabilize their lineup. DeJesus is a poor manīs Damon, and Berroa can play when motivated. I am thinking 72-90.

The Tigers are also better on paper, although the Todd Jones experiment might already be blowing up. If Maggs can get his power stroke back, along with IRod, they could be very dangerous. They are still a starting pitcher or two away, but Rogers will definitely be an upgrade if he can stay out of the news this season.

Santana looks to be starting like he did last season...thatīs good news. If Jason Kubel, Morneau and Mauer hit like projected, which is a big if, theyīre dangerous. Batista homered last night, but I donīt expect him to hit more than .230 with oodles of Kīs. Plus, theyīre really moving away from their defense first model of the early 90īs. Juan Castro and Hunter are their only stellar defenders now.

Baby Fisk
04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Homefish surrendered quicker than the French.

http://www.francesurrenders.com/surrendering.jpg

Lip Man 1
04-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I just realized something which is a big deal if it continues. The Indians had a ton of two out RBI hits Tuesday.

That's a no-no.

Lip

Iwritecode
04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I just realized something which is a big deal if it continues. The Indians had a ton of two out RBI hits Tuesday.

That's a no-no.

Lip

That and most of their damage came from the bottom of the lineup. I still don't like Aaron Boone. :angry:

Iwritecode
04-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Just to spam this into Tomato Award territory, I *think* I saw Chisoxgirl heading down the ramps after the game. Too far away to tell for sure...

:tomatoaward