PDA

View Full Version : Still crying about Rooney :whiner:

sageofthesox
04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
While driving home late Sunday night, we listened to Singleton and Farmer until we couldn't take it anymore. Luckily, I was able to switch over to AM 1000 which was carrying the ESPN national radio broadcast. But we'll only have that option on Sunday night games.

The White Sox have gone from having the very best radio broadcast team to having one of the worst. Players must develop in the minors until they are ready for the big leagues. Why doesn't that standard apply to major league broadcasters? A World Championship team deserves quality broadcasters. Farmer worked well with John Rooney, but he is certainly no PBP man. Singleton ought to be broadcasting the Joliet Jackhammers...maybe.

lostletters
04-04-2006, 03:47 PM
They should have hired Tommy John to replace Rooney, and it was a big mistake that they did not.

Konerkoholic
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree.
Singleton: the score is 7 - 1....cleveland. There are zero outs....The 0 - 0 pitch is a ball called...(silence)...there's a strike. (silence) the 1 -1 pitch is called a ball. (silence) the defense is holding the runner at first. (sound of a pitch being caught). The White Sox' run came on a long home run...from Thome. (another pitch being caught without description.)

Farmer: Cotts in the bullpen.

Awful. I know you gotta give anyone time to settle in, but it shouldn't be that bad.

lunchbox
04-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Singleton: "The official home run distance is brought to you by United Airlines"
(awkward silence)
"That home run call has been brought to you by [insert corporate sponsor here]"
(more silence)

thebull returns!
04-04-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm sorry...but this is getting almost impossible to listen to! Its bad enough when we;re getting hammered 8-2, but to listen to a guy who sounds like he should be calling a Schaumburg Flyers game call a world series champion is downright embarrassing for this team and the Score. I can handle Farmer doing PBP, but Singleton is the worst and should not be "learning on the job" at this level. Buck up and spend the money on someone good...we deserve it.

SABRSox
04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm sure of at least one thread located three below this one about the same topic, and I'm sure there are others.

I honestly can't believe Singleton is so bad that we need a new thread about it every 5 minutes.

irish rover
04-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Rongey sounds good though

SouthSide_HitMen
04-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Dave Wills Watch:

160 More Regular Season Games
11 More Postseason Wins

Frontman
04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, today's game was brutal to watch, brutal to listen to. I can see fans frustrations over a very green color guy not handling games well, (and let's face it, his first two "real" games haven't been great games to call. Farmer and Singleton had to fill 3+ hours of no baseball to talk about, then today we got shelled.) I think the kid needs some time to work it all out, but in the meantime, I would keep Farmer on play by play, have Singelton only call one inning until he gets his own cadence and rythym to play calling.

supertwangreverb
04-04-2006, 08:31 PM
When I first heard Chris Singlton during Spring Training I thought this has to be a joke, but what's almost as bad as his announcing are his interviews on talk radio, the guy can really go off on meaningless tangents. He sounds like he has trouble stringing sentences together too.

Johnny74
04-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm sure of at least one thread located three below this one about the same topic, and I'm sure there are others.

I honestly can't believe Singleton is so bad that we need a new thread about it every 5 minutes.

Oh, it's that bad! Very bad.

LongLiveFisk
04-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Not that I'm really defending Singleton here, but as I recall people were saying the same things about DJ when he first got here. And I know not everyone is a fan of his, but I think most of us would agree that he did improve over time. Let's hope the same happens with Singleton.

TornLabrum
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
We've gotta hope Singleton improves over time. He's been brutal so far. I turned on the game on my way home from work, and he was doing PBP. I couldn't take it and had to turn it off.

I guess that's what happens when you go on the cheap to get your broadcasters. I'm starting to think Mike North could have done a better job. That's how bad Singleton is.

Fenway
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I knew it would be bad but I wasn't prepared for what I heard on XM today. The radio team for Pawtucket AAA is far better than what White Sox fans have now which is tragic.

FoulTerritory
04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Its the tandem as a whole. Its terrible. I can't stand farmer as the primary play by play . . . combined with the underdeveloped analysis of Singleton. Its very bad indeed.

chisoxfanatic
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Holy cripes! I didn't know it was THIS bad until I listened to part of the game while driving home from work today. Singleton's still a rookie; but, Farmer seems DRY. I guess Rooney hid his dryness well last season.

Thankfully I get all but one of the games on TV, so I won't have to deal with this junk very often!

One note: I sure will take our current WORLD SERIES CHAMPION status over a better radio tandem.

Brian26
04-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I guess that's what happens when you go on the cheap to get your broadcasters. I'm starting to think Mike North could have done a better job. That's how bad Singleton is.

I'm embarrassed that I was one of the only guys here defending Singleton when he was hired. What I've heard from him so far is atrocious. Saying that he is mediocre would be a compliment. He has no idea what is going to come out of his mouth next. He's quiet when he should be talking, and he doesn't shutup when he should be quiet. There is no timing, no ease, no rhythm. It's an absolute train wreck.

Bobbo35
04-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Not to mention, when I was leaving the game and getting in my vehicle and turned it on, Singleton was just then giving low down before they went to Rongey. HE FORGOT THE SCORE OF THE GAME. There was an awful silence then...the cleveland Indians beat the Chicago White Sox by the score of eight to two, farmio quickly interjected. I hope they both get better because it is struggling.

Jurr
04-05-2006, 08:46 AM
I listened to Rooney calling the Cardinals game the other day on the way back from Chicago. Damn, do I miss him. :(:

Scottiehaswheels
04-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I was listening to him do the play by play for a bit on my way home from work yesterday.... Is it just me or does he say everything in a sort of questioning tone? He sounded to me like he was questioning the count every time he said it.
Seriously, I'm gonna listen to him on the way home today... I bet you could throw a question mark after every sentence he says and it would sound like a question with his inflection of the words. Anyone else notice this?

BeviBall!
04-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I've just noticed how bad he is. Only two games or not... he's nails on a chalkboard for me. I also can't believe he'll redeem himself with any interesting stories from his playing days.

veeter
04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Simply put, Chris Singleton is absolutely HORRIBLE at play by play. Can he get better? Well he can't get worse. I was listening in the car for a little while too and I was begging him to tell me what the heck was happening, but he wouldn't do it. Note to the White Sox: just because somebody played in the majors, doesn't mean he can announce. White Sox baseball, blue chips on the field, cow chips in the booth.

monkeypants
04-05-2006, 09:36 AM
At least he's not as bad as Joe Carter. Almost as bad but not quite.
Singleton actually said "Ta-hoochie Goochi" when trying to pronounce Tadahito Iguchi. I know it's a foreign sounding name but come on, he's on your team.
Can we get a thread started that takes note of Singleton's mistakes?

kevingrt
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm in Missouri, specifically Columbia and I like listening to Rooney so I'll tune into some Cards games on the radio sometimes. Opening Day was nice to listen to. Although I don't like the other guy in the booth and there seems to be little to no chemistry between the two yet. Rooney's voice is still amazing. And listening to him do all these commercials down here gets tough. Wheneveer I hear Rooney's voice all I thinik of is "A White Sox Winner and a World Championship!"

BainesHOF
04-05-2006, 10:00 AM
He has no idea what is going to come out of his mouth next. He's quiet when he should be talking, and he doesn't shutup when he should be quiet. There is no timing, no ease, no rhythm. It's an absolute train wreck.

You hit the nail on the head.

The problem is Farmer is just as bad doing play by play. Memo to Farmer: Your job is to describe what's happening in the job. It's not to tell your umpteenth story about your past exploits.

Konerkoholic
04-05-2006, 01:59 PM
At least Joe Carter was a goofball and you could laugh at his mistakes and wierd sayings (Home run call = "Ka-pa-ya!"). This tandem so far is boring and uninformative.
Oh, and is anyone else sensing hostility on Farmer's part toward Singleton? Something about the tone of his voice.

DSpivack
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm in Missouri, specifically Columbia and I like listening to Rooney so I'll tune into some Cards games on the radio sometimes. Opening Day was nice to listen to. Although I don't like the other guy in the booth and there seems to be little to no chemistry between the two yet. Rooney's voice is still amazing. And listening to him do all these commercials down here gets tough. Wheneveer I hear Rooney's voice all I thinik of is "A White Sox Winner and a World Championship!"

Watching Cards now on MLB.tv, and the two don't seem to have much chemistry, yet. However the other guy is a classic voice for the Cardinals whom I've heard all my life, Mike Shannon. But yeah, Rooney is very good and I miss him.

RetireWoodys28
04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh, and is anyone else sensing hostility on Farmer's part toward Singleton? Something about the tone of his voice.

Absolutely! I noticed it during spring training. On more than a couple occasions, the tone in Farmer's voice definitely seemed to turn hostile. His calling Singleton out for snacking when he should be doing his job ("my partner's busying himself with lunch" and a couple "how's that apple?"), his disgust for Singleton's obvious disinterest in a meaningless pre-season game, his ripping Singleton's incompetence at score keeping-- to me stuff like that came across as downright awkward at times. It came across as genuinely hostile, unlike his playful ribbing (like his mocking of Singleton's driving), which a whackjob like Farmer doubtlessly believes makes for good "chemistry" and "banter."

IMO Farmer, by the way, is almost as bad at PBP as Singleton is at whatever it is he's supposed to be doing.