PDA

View Full Version : Why are we considered the former champions?

soxinthecity
04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Why? are the 2005 White Sox known as former World Series Champions?
Aren't they the champs until the final out of the 2006 World Series?

*A fighter is still champ until beaten right?
*The Super Bowl Champs are known as that through out the entire season.
*The Daytona 500 Winner is that until next years race, and others as well.

Your on top until it is taken away from you I always thought.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-04-2006, 11:25 AM
The Sox are DEFENDING World Series champions. Alternately, the Sox are "reigning" world champions.

Check the calendar. There is no 2006 world champions because the issue hasn't been decided yet. We're playing 6 months of games plus another of playoff games to crown a new one. Until the Sox are eliminated from the competition, they are defending their title.

Meanwhile, enjoy the ride. They don't come often.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 11:27 AM
The Sox are DEFENDING World Series champions. Alternately, the Sox are "reigning" world champions.

Check the calendar. There is no 2006 world champions because the issue hasn't been decided yet. We're playing 6 months of games plus another of playoff games to crown a new one. Until the Sox are eliminated from the competition, they are defending their title.

Meanwhile, enjoy the ride. They don't come often.
Plus, technically the 2005 White Sox no longer exist. The current White Sox team is striving to REPEAT as champions.

Who called the Sox "former" champions anyway? That's an awkward description.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Who called the Sox "former" champions anyway? That's an awkward description.
"Former" implies there is no champion at the moment. That's nonsense because such an event hasn't happened yet. "Former" is in the past and the past that made the Sox "former" hasn't happened yet.

The Sox are champions until somebody else comes along and takes it from them. NOBODY has done this. Thus "former" doesn't apply.

Example: The Boston Red Sox were DEFENDING champions until October 7, 2005 when the White Sox eliminated them from the 2005 playoffs. Only then did Boston become FORMER champions.

Take your pick, defending champs or reigning champs. Unless of course you're a Cubs fans. Then you just whine.
:cool:

daveeym
04-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Plus, technically the 2005 White Sox no longer exist. The current White Sox team is striving to REPEAT as champions.

Who called the Sox "former" champions anyway? That's an awkward description. Alex, who is any one/entity affiliated with a certain northside minor league team?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Alex, who is any one/entity affiliated with a certain northside minor league team?
Yep. Just the latest evidence that the Sox DIDN'T win the rivalry war last October. Just a bunch of wishful thinking by giddy Sox Fans...

Idiocy knows no bounds... it's April and the dopes in town who don't root for the Sox want to place the Sox championship in their rear-view mirror. Believe me, their stupidty will only get worse with each passing month.

TDog
04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
When I was in college in Bloomington, Ind., I could pick up the Cincinnati Reds' flagship radio station. The year after they won the World Series, the station called itself the "home of the World Champion Cincinnati Reds" right up to the day the Yankees beat the Dodgers in the next World Series.

jdm2662
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
During the Bulls run, they were introduced during the starting line-ups, as YOUR WORLD CHAMPIONS CHICAGO BULLS. As George already stated, it's the non-jealous fans that want to push the Sox champhionship the side. Not going to happen until the Sox are officially elminated from contention. It's not going to happen any time soon since the Sox are starting their minimum eight-peat...

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Reigning or defending, depending on which you like to use for impact.

"Former" is idiotic. It does not apply here. Moving on..

doublem23
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Anyone can call us what they want, but the White Sox are DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Frontman
04-04-2006, 01:55 PM
This one is a case of splitting hair, including the morons on Eastern Seaboard Programming Network with their:

"They really can't be considered World Champions. They're the Major League Champions, since they didn't beat Japan!"

Whatever, you twits over there on ESPN. How about the concept of their top guys on their network talking of getting out because of the "Bond on Bonds" show? Keep your moronic ideas to yourself. The Sox won, and they weren't wearin' red or Yankee Pinstripes. That was our guys, the men in black, who from the City of Big Shoulders, won it all in October.

And to the Cub fans who say all us Sox fans are the one's with all the hate? Tell me, how many outs were you guys from the World Series when you choked? It wasn't six outs, it was 33. Your guys blew it in TWO games, not one. Right, thanks for coming, now kiss the Champs ring. We won, we got there first (if I could be so inclined to rip off a Score on-air personalities take on it) and its over. Even if the Cubs would win it all this season, we still ended the cities drought of World Series play and championship first. Eagles don't hunt flies, and until the Cubs could at least get to the Series, they will always be the second best team here in Chicago. Fill that beer garden all you want, I'll still be wearing white and black and enjoying GOOD baseball, plus a manager that you can understand what he's saying. For Dusty Baker to have a better grip on the English language yet make less sense that Ozzie Guillen is saying something DUDE!

As far as I'm concerned, the Sox are the World Champions, much the same as the Patriots were. The Pats were considered "World Champs" until being eliminated from the playoffs this past NFL season, so I would consider the Sox the same until they get knocked off. Since its a looooooooooooooong season, the Sox and their fans get some bragging rights at least up to the All Star break, and probably well into the playoffs again.

Or as a great wrestler would say,

"To be the Man, you've got to beat the Man! Whooo!"

Front

White Sox Randy
04-04-2006, 02:11 PM
We Are The Current World Champions

DSpivack
04-04-2006, 04:06 PM
During the Bulls run, they were introduced during the starting line-ups, as YOUR WORLD CHAMPIONS CHICAGO BULLS.

Yes, but did they do so in 1999? :redneck

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Or as a great wrestler would say,

"To be the Man, you've got to beat the Man! Whooo!"

Front
I love a good tirade. :cheers:

jdm2662
04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, but did they do so in 1999? :redneck

Actually, they didn't... After the 6th title, I was willing to give them a break for about five years or so...

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
"The Championship Season" is just an old-school term for the regular season.

itsnotrequired
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
"The Championship Season" is just an old-school term for the regular season.

The term is still officially used by MLB.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
The White Sox are the defending champions until 'officially' eliminated.

Lip