PDA

View Full Version : Bonds may be a tool, but this is ridiculous...

Joosh
04-03-2006, 11:09 PM
According to ESPN, a fan apparently threw a syringe at Bonds during today;s opening day game.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260403125)

I hate Bonds as much as the next guys, but thats taking it too far.

CYGarland20
04-03-2006, 11:16 PM
According to ESPN, a fan apparently threw a syringe at Bonds during today;s opening day game.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260403125)

I hate Bonds as much as the next guys, but thats taking it too far.For what it's worth, it didn't have a needle in it.

HotelWhiteSox
04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
I thought it was funny, but I did think it was some plastic gag type thing, and didn't see the video, so don't know if it was just thown on the field or at him

IlliniSox4Life
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
It looked like one of those flavor injectors you use with food without the needle.

NSSoxFan
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Good for the fan.

Viva Medias B's
04-03-2006, 11:38 PM
If someone at our ballpark did something similar, the media would tear us to shreads.

kjhanson
04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
It appeared to be an over-sized fake syringe without the needle. Personally, I thought it was hilarious; it mirrored the cork being thrown at Sosa. Bonds showed great composure, however; as he actually picked the syringe up, stuck it in his mitt, and walked off with it- perhaps to put it to use later on!?

D. TODD
04-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Fans need to be prosecuted for things like this. All teams need to blast huge fines and punishments on idiot fans who interfere with ballplayers. I am sick of these clowns. It should not be hard to point out the morons who throw anything onto the field, let alone at a player and fine there sorry asses as much as possible.

MUsoxfan
04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Fans need to be prosecuted for things like this. All teams need to blast huge fines and punishments on idiot fans who interfere with ballplayers. I am sick of these clowns. It should not be hard to point out the morons who throw anything onto the field, let alone at a player and fine there sorry asses as much as possible.

I agree. I happen to think the syringe thing was funny, but the fan should still be banned from the ballpark. The same goes for anyone that throws anything onto or enters the field of play. The next syringe may have a needle in it and it may be tossed at someone more likeable

TDog
04-04-2006, 03:56 AM
I think fans should be ejected for throwing baseballs onto the field.

BackNBlack
04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
This will be the same idiot cheering him on when his Giants are down. This loser should be banned from the stadium. It's all allegations so far against Bonds so this idiot needs to chill out, even if it were true he shouldn't be harrassed like that by a fan in the stands. Let a syringe go flying, whats next?

Dadawg_77
04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
This will be the same idiot cheering him on when his Giants are down. This loser should be banned from the stadium. It's all allegations so far against Bonds so this idiot needs to chill out, even if it were true he shouldn't be harrassed like that by a fan in the stands. Let a syringe go flying, whats next?

I think it was an away game so the fan should be pretty happy when the Giants are down.

Tekijawa
04-04-2006, 09:02 AM

The sad thing is it made sports center, now every idiot on earth is going to think, "man, what can I throw at Bonds to get on TV?"

Bonds apparently used Steriods, many other players also did, ones that may never get caught... I haven't even heard Giambi's name brought up and he publically admitted to using preformance enhancing drugs, yet nothing gets thrown at him? Bonds brought a lot of this on himself but I think it's starting to go TOO FAR, at the time what Bonds Did was LEGAL, it's not his fault... It's Seligs fault for turning the blind eye to it over the years... What hasn't anything been thrown at him yet?

samram
04-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Bonds apparently used Steriods, many other players also did, ones that may never get caught... I haven't even heard Giambi's name brought up and he publically admitted to using preformance enhancing drugs, yet nothing gets thrown at him? Bonds brought a lot of this on himself but I think it's starting to go TOO FAR, at the time what Bonds Did was LEGAL, it's not his fault... It's Seligs fault for turning the blind eye to it over the years... What hasn't anything been thrown at him yet?
Not to start this again, but taking steroids without a prescription is not legal. The CBA is not an exhaustive list of illegal activities. Furthermore, Selig gets torched by fans and the media every day.

Fenway
04-04-2006, 09:29 AM
"Hey, if that's what they want to do, embarrass themselves, then that's on them," Bonds said of Padres fans. "That has nothing to do with me at all. I just have to play baseball."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/04/04/SPGFKI33FL1.DTL

daveeym
04-04-2006, 09:43 AM
I didn't see the video of it but some of you are making it sound like the guy fired a gun at bonds. Kick the guy out of the stadium, set the example but let's not make this into more than what it really is.

Fenway
04-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I didn't see the video of it but some of you are making it sound like the guy fired a gun at bonds. Kick the guy out of the stadium, set the example but let's not make this into more than what it really is.

When the Giants come east to Philly and Shea it should be very creative.

Fans are angry about this and Barry is the poster boy. It will only get worse as he approaches first Ruth and then Aaron. Nice going Bud.

doublem23
04-04-2006, 10:08 AM

Fans throwing objects on the field should never be taken lightly. Yeah, it's kind of funny, but it's still invites a world of potential dangers. Just like players entering the seating area or throwing things in (with intent to harm) should be punished severely as well.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 10:15 AM
The fan holding up the big "73*" sign was more creative than any idiot who throws something at a player. Bonds has rendered the single-season HR record meaningless.

daveeym
04-04-2006, 10:56 AM
(with intent to harm) Do feelings count? Because I bet Barry's feelings were hurt. :cool:

gobears1987
04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
This will be the same idiot cheering him on when his Giants are down. This loser should be banned from the stadium. It's all allegations so far against Bonds so this idiot needs to chill out, even if it were true he shouldn't be harrassed like that by a fan in the stands. Let a syringe go flying, whats next?allegations my ass. He said he took them in Grand Jury testimony so if he didn't take them, he perjured himself.

soxfanatlanta
04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm not surprised that somebody threw a syringe at him, it was just a matter of time before that happened. Hopeflly, that will be the only time when something gets chucked onto the field; there is no room for that baloney.

+1 on the "73*" sign, poignantly creative. Perhaps I should start selling the t-shirts when he is in town...

doublem23
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Do feelings count? Because I bet Barry's feelings were hurt. :cool:

Feelings schmeelings.

Brian26
04-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Fans quickly forget that players used to get pelted with batters, coins, and golf balls regularly in the 70s. Hell, Reggie Jackson had to wear a batting helmet in rightfield at Yankee Stadium during the '76 World Series....and that was his home park. People were throwing batteries at him because they were happy.

Anyway, the syringe that was thrown at Bonds was an oversized gag prop. Maybe it wasn't appropriate, but it was funny and harmless.

StockdaleForVeep
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
:hawk:
"And sox fans join us april 22nd for sox\twins where its used dirty needle night. First 10,000 to arrive will recieve a used syringe from the whitesox organization, reminder, this is for first 10,000 fans 21 and older"

whtsx1959
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
This is a great way for a fan to voice his opinion. Those on tv dance around this issue and I feel it is great to see a fan showing how he feels. I hope it doesn't become habit though. Barry Bonds is one of the most obvious case of steroid usage.

Hagan
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I hate barry a lot and hope he gets what is coming at him at every park that he visits. I dont think that fans should be throwing stuff on the field but a plastic syringe made me laugh. I hope Philly throws tons at him. As many syringes as they thew batteries at JD Drew.

Frontman
04-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Ok,

A part of me finds it funny that it was that particular prop thrown at him, however; this is a very dangerous slope to start. Throwing items into the field of play is dangerous. Period. Talk smack all you want at him, give him hell verbally and personally, I love the idea of signs taunting him. But don't throw stuff out there at him.

Now, if the guy wanted to be creative, he should of thrown a cow syringe at him, but again, dangerous.

Now, back to work on my sign of putting Bonds' overinflated head onto the body of a bull with no balls.......

;)

Front

The Racehorse
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
It looked like one of those flavor injectors you use with food without the needle.

Yeah. A turkey baster for one big 'roided up turkey.

FedEx227
04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm no fan of Barry Bonds but I think that this was pretty dis-tasteful, not only is he endangering people by throwing something on the field but you're setting a bad example for fans everywhere. While I do believe Bonds is guilty, he is still in the theory innocent until proven guilty.

Clembasbal
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not surprised that somebody threw a syringe at him, it was just a matter of time before that happened. Hopeflly, that will be the only time when something gets chucked onto the field; there is no room for that baloney.

+1 on the "73*" sign, poignantly creative. Perhaps I should start selling the t-shirts when he is in town...

I would buy one in a heartbeat, in face...to the internet I go!

1951Campbell
04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Fans quickly forget that players used to get pelted with batters, coins, and golf balls regularly in the 70s. Hell, Reggie Jackson had to wear a batting helmet in rightfield at Yankee Stadium during the '76 World Series....and that was his home park. People were throwing batteries at him because they were happy.

Anyway, the syringe that was thrown at Bonds was an oversized gag prop. Maybe it wasn't appropriate, but it was funny and harmless.

Those weren't batteries, those were Reggie! Bars. Although taste-wise, that's an easy mistake to make.

D. TODD
04-04-2006, 09:21 PM
For the fans who think it is funny to throw things at players they don't like go ahead. If the ballparks do what they should, then after they pay their couple of thousand dollar fine and do some community service I hope you feel it was worth it. At the very least who in the hell goes around throwing things at people they don't like; besides an unruly 4 year old.

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm no fan of Barry Bonds but I think that this was pretty dis-tasteful, not only is he endangering people by throwing something on the field but you're setting a bad example for fans everywhere. While I do believe Bonds is guilty, he is still in the theory innocent until proven guilty.I've seen all the proof I need. And for the millionth time, that applies to a court of law, not people's personal opinions or especially to whether he gets disciplined by MLB. Your employer can discipline you for any perceived infraction at any time he wants and without any proof at all and there's not a thing you can do about it, except quit. The only limitations are those explicitly specified in a contract or a collective bargaining agreement.

As for throwing syringes on the field, it's important to separate the message that was sent from the method of sending it. I think most people agree with the message, but disagree with the method this numbskull chose to deliver it.