PDA

View Full Version : Clemens starting the auction??????

Fenway
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
What happened in Arlington, Texas today was bizarre even by Red Sox standards. Red Sox brass met with Clemens and his agent after being invited by the Rangers owner to attend the game. Clemens spent a long time talking to the Boston media.

Boston may have something no other team can offer. Clemens is currently tied as the all time Boston leader in wins at 192. The other pitcher is Cy Young. Given Roger's professed love of baseball history it might be a hook.

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_093120809.html

On the city of Boston:

"It's really a home for me. I've been there a long time. The other three teams are in the same situation. I played for them and feel I gave every bit of my effort. I told Theo I want to come up and watch a game or two before the summer gets too long and basically get out of these guys' way. It's their Opening Day. I don't want to be a distraction. They're going to work. I respect that. They asked me to come by and say hello to a couple guys. I think I'm going to catch the first pitch [tomorrow in Houston]. Vince [Young] is supposed to throw out the first pitch. We get our national championship."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Fenway
04-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Curt Schilling gave his 2 cents on Roger coming back to Boston this morning

"I'd wear a tutu. There isn't anything I wouldn't do, potentially, if the thought or the possibility that he wants to come back here. In all honesty, I think he's way past it and I think he's retired, mentally. But I think there's a part of him that's charging up for a three-month run with somebody."

4-4-06 Sox Ace Curt Schilling (http://eod.liquidviewer.com/weei-od/Schilling--4-4-06.wma)

meanwhile the Red Sox have placed a banner near Gate B with Clemens number and years of service.

They want him badly

1951Campbell
04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Clemens truly is the boy who cried "retirement."

Or "baseball's Brett Favre."

Fenway
04-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Clemens truly is the boy who cried "retirement."

Or "baseball's Brett Favre."

There is NO WAY his last game is a loss to Mexico. Take that to the bank ( as Roger will )

I think the chance to go ahead of Cy Young will be a huge factor in what he does.

His agent really dissed the Astros yesterday, I don't think he will go back there. Roger is upset they didn't tender him.

dickallen15
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
There is NO WAY his last game is a loss to Mexico. Take that to the bank ( as Roger will )

I think the chance to go ahead of Cy Young will be a huge factor in what he does.

His agent really dissed the Astros yesterday, I don't think he will go back there. Roger is upset they didn't tender him.

Nowhere near how the Red Sox dissed him 8 or 9 years ago. Of course, that regime is all gone. I still think he re-signs with the Astros. If he was going to sign with someone else, I think he would have done so by now.

Fenway
04-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Nowhere near how the Red Sox dissed him 8 or 9 years ago. Of course, that regime is all gone. I still think he re-signs with the Astros. If he was going to sign with someone else, I think he would have done so by now.

Duquette is and was the only reason Roger left Boston. Roger of course was in the twilight of his career back in 1996 :rolleyes:

The only job Dan Duquette can get in baseball these days is being an expert on FOX 25 local news.

Roger is going to sit and watch and see how the 4 teams do out of the gate.

few more outings like the one Wakefield had tonight and Boston will be calling daily

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Clemens was in the stands today, saw the Astros get pounded

dickallen15
04-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Duquette is and was the only reason Roger left Boston. Roger of course was in the twilight of his career back in 1996 :rolleyes:

The only job Dan Duquette can get in baseball these days is being an expert on FOX 25 local news.

Roger is going to sit and watch and see how the 4 teams do out of the gate.

few more outings like the one Wakefield had tonight and Boston will be calling daily

Wasn't he pounded by the Boston media, and by Red Sox fans as well after he left? Didn't they make him out to be public enemy #1? Considering he lives near Houston, and the accomodation the Astros allow him, by really only having to be with the team when he pitches, I really don't see him going anywhere else. I think he's using these other teams as leverage. If he wants to be paid, he would sign quickly, but he's still stalling until at least May 1 when the Astros can sign him again.

C-Dawg
04-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Considering he lives near Houston, and the accomodation the Astros allow him....

Returning to Boston would really fly in the face of his "wanting to play in Houston because I can be by my family..." rationale he was spouting a couple years ago.

C'mon, Roger - admit it! Its all about the money!