PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Homers in First AB w/ Oakland

WhiteSoxFan84
04-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Solo shot off of Randy Johnson in the bottom of the 2nd.

Yankees lead 7-1 though.

OKCSoxFan
in first AB - granted, they're down 7-1 now.

knocko94
Goes yard off Randy Johnson.

I hate the A's, but I still love Big Frank.

A. Cavatica
Dang, you beat me to it.

Good for you, Frank!

Thome's Homey
Nice one off the unit. So friggin' weird to watch... :whiner:

Brian26
He hit a long foulball earlier in the count, and then he connected to deep leftfield off The Unit.

GoGoSoxReborn
Way to go Big Hurt... It kills me to see you in that nasty white uni with the white shoes...

DeadMoney
04-03-2006, 11:02 PM
That was not fun to watch. :(:

Domeshot17
Good for the hurt! I hope he hits 50 more and the A's finish 3rd. Best 27th round fantasy pick ever!

StepsInSC
I was just thinking to myself how comfortable he looked up there. This is...well...just sad in some respects. Anyways, Congrats Hurt!!!!!

Ventura Fan 23
Man, Im proud of him. However, watching him play in that A's uniform so nearly brought me to tears...

lumpyspun
That was unreal...
after all, he did say thome has never done anything that he hasn't...
then he homers just like thome...

shaunburnette
Great sight. You both beat me to it. I was watching it here on A's baseball. It got the announcers up a little after Zito went 1 and 1/3 giving up 7 runs. :smile:

Chrisaway
And go figure i was standing with my hat over my heart.

StillMissOzzie
Yanks are winning 7-1, but Big Frank went deep in his first AB as a member of the A's.

Good to see you're back, big guy, but it's just not the same seeing you in the green and gold.

SMO
:whiner:

ja1022
04-03-2006, 11:03 PM
'at a boy Frank. Stay healthy and may you suck when you face your old team.

Madvora
04-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Holy crap 5 threads on this at the same time!

Great Job Frank!

SOXSINCE'70
04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Way to go,Frank,but that uni sucks!!
It's still 7-1.Evil Empire.

Frankfan4life
04-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Unbelievable! WTG Big Frank! During his at-bat I was thinking that Frank must have Thome's homer in the back of his mind and would love to match what he did. A moment later, Big Frank took it yard. I'm happy for the big guy.

I guess it's time to start counting who is going to hit the most taters this year. The homerun battle is on!

Thome 1
Thomas 1

Erik The Red
04-03-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm happy for him. I wish him all the success in the world, except when he faces the Sox.

richb2
still glad we have thome but that homerun was a monster shot by frank wow------thome one frank one----------was sweird seeing him an a's uniform. I live in san jose and everyone is wondering and asking me how Frak will do. He is big news outhere on the west coast

goon
I was just thinking to myself how comfortable he looked up there. This is...well...just sad in some respects. Anyways, Congrats Hurt!!!!!

actually i was thinking the opposite, from some of the facial expressions he wore. however, he just poked that ball and it went out of there fast. good for him... hope he hits a lot more.

fusillirob1983
Pretty amazing, saw him bat no more than 5 minutes ago and there's already almost 20 posts about it.

infohawk
04-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Congratulations Big Man, and I hope you get to 500 (but hit none against us)!!!

rowand33
04-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Congrats to Frank.

I hope he kills the ball this year.

WhiteSoxFan84
I love him but he won't hit more than 15 HRs this year. The reason I say that is because I don't see him getting more than 250-300 ABs this year. If he gets over 300 ABs, I wish him the best as long as he goes 0-whatever in the games against us.

PAPChiSox729
I'm happy for him. I wish him all the success in the world, except when he faces the Sox.

You know I really wouldn't mind to see Frank hit our guys around a little bit... just as long as we come out on top in the end. Let me just clarify by saying that if there was one guy that I would want to hit our Sox pitchers around, it would be him. But I don't want our guys to get hit around...

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 11:09 PM
I hope Frank hits 50 HRs this year.

I hope Thome leads the White Sox to a second World Championship.

Best of luck to Frank on his quest to 500 HRers!

Jjav829
04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Unbelievable! WTG Big Frank! During his at-bat I was thinking that Frank must have Thome's homer in the back of his mind and would love to match what he did. A moment later, Big Frank took it yard. I'm happy for the big guy.

I guess it's time to start counting who is going to hit the most taters this year. The homerun battle is on!

Thome 1
Thomas 1

I don't think there will be much of a battle. Thome has an everyday job. Frank is going to battle for playing time with Dan Johnson and will need more off days to stay healthy.

And for the love of god people, check to see if there is already a thread before you start one!

IlliniSox4Life
04-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Glad to see it. Wish him all the success in the world. It would be REALLY interesting to see a home run race between him and Thome. That would be something special. Winner gets MVP and loser gets comeback player of the year.

kingpin_rcs
04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Frank Thomas homered in his first at-bat for the A's

It was kind of hard to watch but I cheered. I am happy for him and I hope he has a good year (other than when the A's play the sox of course).

oeo
04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't think there will be much of a battle. Thome has an everyday job. Frank is going to battle for playing time with Dan Johnson and will need more off days to stay healthy.

And for the love of god people, check to see if there is already a thread before you start one!

As much as I'd like to see Frank here, I'd rather have Thome's left-handed bat.

BTW, why do the A's have an elephant on their sleeve?

lumpyspun
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
As much as I'd like to see Frank here, I'd rather have Thome's left-handed bat.

BTW, why do the A's have an elephant on their sleeve?

wikipedia:
After New York Giants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Giants) manager John McGraw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGraw_%28baseball%29) told reporters that Philadelphia manufacturer Benjamin Shibe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Shibe), who owned the controlling interest in the new team, had a “white elephant on his hands," Mack defiantly adopted the white elephant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant) as the team mascot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomper), though over the years the elephant has appeared in several different colors (currently forest green). The A’s are sometimes, though infrequently, referred to as the Elephants or White Elephants.

StepsInSC
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
actually i was thinking the opposite, from some of the facial expressions he wore. however, he just poked that ball and it went out of there fast. good for him... hope he hits a lot more.

I didn't think he was grimacing with pain though. For the past year or so, whenever he batted for the Sox it looked like he was in pain.

SoxSpeed22
04-03-2006, 11:28 PM
I love the headline "A-Rod's Slam"
:supernana::bandance::supernana: For Blue Laser.

SoxSpeed22
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
It is great to see Frank homer, hopefully he doesn't kill us.

Frankfan4life
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think there will be much of a battle. Thome has an everyday job. Frank is going to battle for playing time with Dan Johnson and will need more off days to stay healthy. Right now it looks like Dan Johnson is in a bit of trouble. As long as Frank keeps hitting them out of the park, he's going to get a lot of playing time. Of course, time will tell whether Frank's health is going to be a consideration.

churlish
04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Congrats, Big Frank!!! Here's to many more. :gulp:

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
How awesome was that? :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Fenway
04-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I think with the score being 11-1 I can turn this off. Been watching the YES feed and they pretty much printing the World Series tickets already.

I can only imagine what Sterling and Dame Edna are saying.

oeo
04-03-2006, 11:57 PM
So what's with this pitching that is supposed to be better than ours? :rolleyes:

PicktoCLick72
04-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Way to go Frank. You'll look good with a Sox hat in Cooperstown.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Wow I didn't know he was ready to play. But then again I didn't follow him much since he left.

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Me watching Frank in another uniform:
http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/depressed.jpg

thomas35forever
04-04-2006, 12:14 AM
It was a really bittersweet moment for me. My favorite player ever hit a home run in his first at-bat of the season, but I was still shocked to see him in another uniform. This is definitely going to take some getting used to.

IlliniSox4Life
04-04-2006, 12:22 AM
:o: Randy Johnson just threw at the Big Hurt in retaliation for 3 hit Yankees... I was expecting Frank to crush one after that, but ARod robbed him of a hit (possibly double, but It's Frank, so probably single)

Taliesinrk
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
That was unreal...
after all, he did say thome has never done anything that he hasn't...
then he homers just like thome...

Not quite just like Thome... Frank did it in his first AB. Here's to 51 more big man.:gulp: I'll always love ya.

SoLongFrank
04-04-2006, 12:29 AM
That was a rope down the 3B line. I hate A-Rod the Yankee but I have to give credit when it's due. That was a great play. Any hesitation at all & that's a double because it would have gone into the corner.

The brush back by Randy was nasty. Head hunted him in the batter's box. But Frank avoided it.

Zito completely fell apart in the 2nd. Walked two & ended the inning with the Yankees up 7-0. At the top of the bot of the 2nd Frank took Randy yard, but the rest of the A's did squat.

Frank doesn't look as weird in white shoes as I though he world. Now had he become a Philly & had to wear red shoes that would be really wierd.

You can tell Franks lost quite a bit of girth around the middle.

rdivaldi
04-04-2006, 12:46 AM
BP will have an article tomorrow explaining how the A's really didn't give up those 13 runs because they were "second order runs".

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal...

goon
04-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I didn't think he was grimacing with pain though. For the past year or so, whenever he batted for the Sox it looked like he was in pain.

i agree, but for some reason he did appear to be uncomfotable, but his swing looked to be just fine.

D. TODD
04-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Frank seemed to be a bit slimmer in his A's uniform. I hope he can stay healthy and put up good numbers.

JB98
04-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Not quite just like Thome... Frank did it in his first AB. Here's to 51 more big man.:gulp: I'll always love ya.

There is one other difference: Thome's HR had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. The Thomas HR is pretty much the lone bright spot for the hapless FOBB this evening.

I don't like this thread. I get the feeling people want to see Thomas do better than Thome.

mike squires
04-04-2006, 01:21 AM

Um, wasn't he hurt those last few years? No, you are right, I think that is just Frank's game face. You could tell there were some, "Take that Whitesox" going on in his mind. He just had that look on his face. Good for you frank.

DSpivack
04-04-2006, 01:26 AM
There is one other difference: Thome's HR had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. The Thomas HR is pretty much the lone bright spot for the hapless FOBB this evening.

I don't like this thread. I get the feeling people want to see Thomas do better than Thome.

I want both of them to do very well, but I will always like Thomas more than Thome---Thome wasn't the face of the franchise for 15 seasons. That's not a knock on Thome at all, but he'll never mean to the White Sox what Frank Thomas does, even when Frank has moved on to another team. It's not a contest of popularity between the two, it's two completely different situations.

Taliesinrk
04-04-2006, 01:36 AM

I want the Sox to win.. bottom line. But in all honesty, next to that.. I wanna see Frank succeed. If that means the Sox hit .200 as a team and win the WS, then so be it; but Frank is who I grew up with, the reason I love baseball so much. He is and always will be my favorite, no matter what uniform he puts on.

Soxfanspcu11
04-04-2006, 02:51 AM
I've said it before and I will say it again, I am 22 years old and Frank is the main reason that I am a Sox fan. I will ALWAYS love him. It's a shame how things ended, but I will ALWAYS remember those 16 years with the Sox.

I was flipping around through the channels and was lucky enough to stop on the Oakland game at the EXACT moment that Frank was stepping into the box. The first thing I thought was, "Oh my god! I can not believe he is playing, and not in a Sox uniform!"

It really made me feel uncomfortable. I molded my own swing off of Frank, I threw the ball the same way Frank did, I would take pitches the way Frank did. I studied EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of that mans' game growing up and playing in Little League.

I even mimicked the way he wore his jersey! I used to be OBSESSED with him!!! So basically, seeing him in an Oakland uniform was one of the most surreal things I have ever seen. It was strange, I was watching it, and felt like I was dreaming. It's hard to explain, but it was such a shocker to my system, that I honesly felt like I was in a dream, VERY STRANGE.

But, I will ALWAYS wish him the best and hope beyond hope that he gets to 500.

StockdaleForVeep
04-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Heh well he's keepin pace with thome, maybe this will spark an epic duel of homers in the al between thome and thomas, the likes we havent seen since the early 90s with griffey and thomas. Plus u couldnt pick two better players to do it, roid free and all

TDog
04-04-2006, 04:34 AM

No. Thomas' home run had no effect on the outcome of the game. Thome's was big.

If he hits all of his home runs with his team down by seven, it won't bother me at all.

doublem23
04-04-2006, 08:52 AM

That, and Frank's came off Randy Johnson, while Thome's off... Fernando Cabrera...

There's no use in comparing the two, IMO. Ultimately, for the team Jim Thome was the right call, he's left-handed and has been healthier over the last few years. But still... Frank in an A's uniform. This is going to take some getting used to.

:whiner:

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Damn, that was awesome. Perfect result: a HR by the Big Hurt, but the A's get destroyed. I hope he keeps knocking them out en route to the HOF, while the A's keep getting rocked. Cheers, Big Hurt! :gulp:

itsnotrequired
04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Damn, that was awesome. Perfect result: a HR by the Big Hurt, but the A's get destroyed. I hope he keeps knocking them out en route to the HOF, while the A's keep getting rocked. Cheers, Big Hurt! :gulp:

The important thing is that the Yankees won.

Congrats to Big Frank!

mccoydp
04-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Big Frank, here's to many, many more! :gulp:

doublem23
04-04-2006, 09:18 AM
I think I'd settle for an A's win if it meant a Yankees loss.

P.S., BabyFisk... Aaron Myette. :)

Dadawg_77
04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
I threw the ball the same way Frank did...

I love Frank but even Frank would tell you not to model your throwing after him.

I believe that Healthy Thomas > Healthy Thome. However Thome's chances of staying healthy is much higher then Thomas'. Also if Thomas has 300 healthy at bats, he'll hit 22 to 25 HRs or one HR per 13 - 12 AB, which is a conservative estimate given the way he has changed his swing. Last year he hit a HR one per 8.5 ABs.

Baby Fisk
04-04-2006, 09:26 AM
P.S., BabyFisk... Aaron Myette. :)

:redface: Mercy...

Madvora
04-04-2006, 09:29 AM
This is what the cbssportsline.com recap says...

Frank Thomas (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/8126) hit a solo home run leading off the second in his A's debut and his first game since last July -- he played in only 34 games in 2005 with the White Sox because of separate left ankle fractures. The 37-year-old Thomas has 449 homers and his goal is to get to 500 before calling it a career.
Wait who said that?
And another thing... what the hell was all of this talk about Frank Thomas' toe on ESPN last night? Didn't they have any clue about this ankle injury that he's had for more that a year?

doublem23
04-04-2006, 09:32 AM
:redface: Mercy...

I thought the centerpiece of that Royce Clayton deal was unfortgettable. :tongue:

JorgeFabregas
04-04-2006, 09:39 AM
So, does Frank have a non-HR hit yet between spring training and the first game? Unless he got one in the last couple days of st, I don't think he has. I hope his legs hold up when he has to run out a double.

LongLiveFisk
04-04-2006, 09:47 AM
The important thing is that the Yankees won.

Congrats to Big Frank!

LOL, that's just what I was thinking.

Tragg
04-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I get a tad naucious seeing him in that As uniform.

Before he hit the homer to right field, he almost slammed one out of the park in left...it was foul, though.

Tragg
04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
BP will have an article tomorrow explaining how the A's really didn't give up those 13 runs because they were "second order runs".

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal...
Not it shouldn't be. Their fascination with the As is just ridiculous. Esteban Loiza is suddenly a stud - he only had a dead arm 1/2 a season out of the last 3 (actually he had 1 really good season out of the last 5; last year wasn't that great and was aided by a nation legue pitchers park). Starters 6-10 for the As are better than a lot of starting staffs. (HOnestly, isn't Harden their only starter who for sure could make our rotation?). They are predicted to win 102 games....we're 20 games worse.

palehozenychicty
04-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I think with the score being 11-1 I can turn this off. Been watching the YES feed and they pretty much printing the World Series tickets already.

I can only imagine what Sterling and Dame Edna are saying.

They were unbearable, as Mr. April (A-Fraud) got all the superlatives about his wonderful play. Yet again the A's come up small when it matters. :angry:

Procol Harum
04-04-2006, 11:24 AM
It was peculiar to see Big Frahnck in the A's uni, but my heart was warmed to see him go deep in his first at bat. It also looked like he shed quite a bit of tonnage over the offseason--he looked pretty svelte.

gobears1987
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Way to go Frank. Get that 500!!!

gobears1987
04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I want the Sox to win.. bottom line. But in all honesty, next to that.. I wanna see Frank succeed. If that means the Sox hit .200 as a team and win the WS, then so be it; but Frank is who I grew up with, the reason I love baseball so much. He is and always will be my favorite, no matter what uniform he puts on.AMEN!!!!!!

Frankly Missing
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
You can take the big man out of the city, but you can't take him out of the hearts of his fans.

Watching Frank slug another one out of the park was thrilling. I was grinning ear to ear. :D:

Keep em comin Frank!

Kuzman
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Checked some fantasy baseball this morning and I saw this.

Apr 4 The San Jose Mercury News' Joe Roderick reports Oakland Athletics DH Frank Thomas (foot) was visibly limping on his surgically repaired left foot, but the team says he did not re-injure it during their opening game.

I hope it really is nothing serious. Hopefully they give him enough rest like they reported.

StockdaleForVeep
04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I didnt see while watchin yesterdays game, did he bring that iron rod with him to oakland?

RKMeibalane
04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I didnt see while watchin yesterdays game, did he bring that iron rod with him to oakland?

If he did, I didn't see it. When he was in the on-deck circle he had a green and yellow bat. Ugh!

Chisox003
04-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Michael Kay (Yankees announcer) just said that Frank "Is no longer a sure fire hall of famer. In fact, he'll be hard pressed to get in without 500 HR's."

You gotta be kidding me. To the other announcer's credit, he's defending Big Frank, but Kay is pretty adamant about Thomas not getting in.

:rolleyes:

NonetheLoaiza
04-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Michael Kay (Yankees announcer) just said that Frank "Is no longer a sure fire hall of famer. In fact, he'll be hard pressed to get in without 500 HR's."

You gotta be kidding me. To the other announcer's credit, he's defending Big Frank, but Kay is pretty adamant about Thomas not getting in.

I heard the same thing, and it made my jaw drop. Not a sure-fire hall of famer? He has 2 MVPs, and would have 3 if it weren't for their cheating first baseman. He is one of, if not THE premiere right handed power hitter of his generation, and he isn't a sure fire hall of famer? Please...

Hitmen77
04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Checked some fantasy baseball this morning and I saw this.

Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports
Apr 4 The San Jose Mercury News' Joe Roderick reports Oakland Athletics DH Frank Thomas (foot) was visibly limping on his surgically repaired left foot, but the team says he did not re-injure it during their opening game.

I hope it really is nothing serious. Hopefully they give him enough rest like they reported.

I had the A's game on MLB Extra Innings (free preview this week) last night and the announcers said the same thing when Frank was up - that he was limping. I don't think they were suggesting he reinjured it - rather their thought was that Frank's foot might not get any better than it is now.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2006, 12:50 PM
When I was watching the A's opener on ESPN2, I commented that Frank looked like he was limping a little bit going back to the dugout.

I can tell you from experience, when you've had a chronic injury like that, a slight limp becomes habit. I've had numerous injuries to my left knee, and I've had people ask me if there is something wrong because I'm limping, even on days when the knee isn't bothering me at all. I'm completely unaware of doing it. You just subconsciously favor it.

Flight #24
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM

IMO Michael Kay is no longer hard pressed to validate his status as an idiot, he's a sure fire, first ballot idiot.

It is strictly impossible to anonymously review Frank's statistics, compare them to either his peers and/or current hall of famers and come to any other conclusion. The only debate is where in the pantheon of top 10-20 hitters of all time he ranks.

Fenway
04-06-2006, 01:00 PM
IMO Michael Kay is no longer hard pressed to validate his status as an idiot, he's a sure fire, first ballot idiot.

Michael Kay makes Hawk sound objective

but if you think he is bad, try Yankees radio

Kilroy
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM

I heard that last night. What I thought he said was more like Thomas' career has been in shambles since 2000, and that before that he was a sure fire hall of famer, but now, he's got no real chance. Then he went on and said that not even 500 homers would get him in.

Sorry, but Thomas is more a hall of famer than just about any of the so-called first ballot hof'ers these days.

SoLongFrank
04-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Some interesting Frank quotes in Marrioti's column this week:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay05.html
Thomas: "I'm here. There is disappointment. I was there for so long, just watching the club go through a lot of ups and downs and finally getting that ring -- that's one ceremony I definitely wanted to be at. But, hey, I'm not there. It's impossible for me to be there. Hopefully, I'll get it in the mail.''

Thomas after hitting his last HR: "I don't feel vindicated. I was unhealthy. They made their decision based on health.''

I hope the White Sox do the right thing & present Thomas his ring when he visits USCF next month.

That last comment in particular is pretty much what Kenny said before the blow-up occured. As Mariotti reports that Thomas limped into the dugout I think he's come to grips with his ankle situation.

There is no question the guys who are untainted in the steroids era are going to get better preference from the media than the guys who are tainted. This is going to play big when it comes to HOF selection. Any media person who doesn't understand this is an idiot.

TDog
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I heard that last night. What I thought he said was more like Thomas' career has been in shambles since 2000, and that before that he was a sure fire hall of famer, but now, he's got no real chance. Then he went on and said that not even 500 homers would get him in.

Sorry, but Thomas is more a hall of famer than just about any of the so-called first ballot hof'ers these days.

To be a Hall of Famer (within the next two decades), he will have to be voted in by the writers who have subjective criteria. If the writers don't vote him in, Frank Thomas fans will have a cause, of course, but just his stats won't put him in. It isn't like announcers are members of the BBWAA, though.

If the people who will be voting for the Hall of Fame start saying things like this, you might want to take them seriously.

StockdaleForVeep
04-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Also according to the announcers, thomas is still affected by the ankle injury and its apparently "something he'll live with the rest of his life"

I find it amusin how they refer to him 90% of the time as "big hurt" and not frank or thomas or frank thomas...lol, they're making him more than a man

Also sadly the iron rod didnt make the trip i guess, perhaps he wasnt allowed it on the plane but i bet its still residing somewhere in comiskey, maybe he can use it for on deck warmups when oakland comes here