PDA

View Full Version : Monday's Red Eye Cover

Chicago Derby
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Ok, maybe it's just me, but did anyone believe the Cubune's Red Eye cover today was poking their usual fun at what they "think" South Siders look and act like :angry: My Flub "friends" should got a kick out of it.

Chisox003
04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Ok, maybe it's just me, but did anyone believe the Cubune's Red Eye cover today was poking their usual fun at what they "think" South Siders look and act like :angry: My Flub "friends" should got a kick out of it.
I saw that too and wondered why they chose THAT out of all the great pictures that I'm sure were taken last night.

Oh well :rolleyes:

fusillirob1983
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
What did it look like?

peeonwrigley
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
What did it look like?

A large man sans shirt.

DumpJerry
04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
They wanted to show that not all Sox fans have tattoes. It's an Olive Branch from the Cubune.

Fenway
04-04-2006, 12:31 AM
picture was on the AP wire last night Boston Herald ran it

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=ilmg11804030253.indians_white_sox_baseb all_ilmg118&prov=ap

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Do fat tubs of lard have any shame?

fusillirob1983
04-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Ooh, sorry I asked.

FRANK FORT
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM

Hey pal why don't you give the guy a break. What do you care what he does or what he looks like? I suppose you're a perfect specimen then. Respect your fellow Sox fans.

ChiSoxLifer
04-04-2006, 01:38 PM

You see a fat tub of lard. I see an extremely dedicated White Sox fan who wouldn't allow a monsoon to ruin his opening night.

roylestillman
04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
This isn't the point. The Trib, and especially the Red Eye loves perpetuate the slob Sox fan stereotype. That picture was an icon of that and you can't tell me the editor wasn't making that point. If you think back, a survey was published that showed that Sox fans were as educated and had the same salary as our Northside fans, but the Trib still wants us to believe that the park is exclusively inhabited by the Ligue family.

Yep, that cover ticked me off, as did the Comiskey pull out section which showed two bearded overweight guys on the cover as contrasted to the Wrigley section showing an angelic child.

I'm not a conspiracy freak, but these two things make me wonder.

Chip Z'nuff
04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Cub fans and eat sushi breakfast lunch and dinnner. They are the fittest people in Chicago.
http://www.taketheredline.com/images/cubsfan.jpgYeah right

Scottiehaswheels
04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
How about the picture on the trib's website for the opening of Soxfest... Had to be one of the dorkiest lookin people I've ever seen... More stereotype?

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I'd rather have an overweight guy portraying all sox fans than a little baby. The baby represents the knowledge of all cub fans.

White Sox Randy
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
This isn't the point. The Trib, and especially the Red Eye loves perpetuate the slob Sox fan stereotype. That picture was an icon of that and you can't tell me the editor wasn't making that point. If you think back, a survey was published that showed that Sox fans were as educated and had the same salary as our Northside fans, but the Trib still wants us to believe that the park is exclusively inhabited by the Ligue family.

Yep, that cover ticked me off, as did the Comiskey pull out section which showed two bearded overweight guys on the cover as contrasted to the Wrigley section showing an angelic child.

I'm not a conspiracy freak, but these two things make me wonder.

I dont think its no consprcy i just woked up and got my case a ol milwukee redy for da game dem nortside fans aint no smarter dan me if i can just get this ankl monitr off id be a lot more comfy

Clembasbal
04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd rather have an overweight guy portraying all sox fans than a little baby. The baby represents the knowledge of all cub fans.

I am not large, but AMEN!

FRANK FORT
04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
This isn't the point. The Trib, and especially the Red Eye loves perpetuate the slob Sox fan stereotype. That picture was an icon of that and you can't tell me the editor wasn't making that point.

Yes, I am aware of this thread's inital point. However, if you think someone asking "Do fat tubs of lard have any shame" has anything to do with that inital point then you are mistaken.

roylestillman
04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Got ya - I tip the Toledo at 260 myself - so maybe it isn't a stereo type. Maybe its true!

RealMenWearBlack
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM

I think that it's a good rule of thumb to not say anything on message boards that you wouldn't tell someone to their face.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2006, 09:36 PM
You see a fat tub of lard. I see an extremely dedicated White Sox fan who wouldn't allow a monsoon to ruin his opening night.

There were plenty of other people there that managed to keep their clothes on. He invited such a comment by removing his clothes and parking himself right in the open.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I think that it's a good rule of thumb to not say anything on message boards that you wouldn't tell someone to their face.

Maybe you're right.

kkappelk
04-05-2006, 10:11 AM

I picked up a free copy of this piece of crap yesterday morning too. Boy was I pissed. One of the best nights in the history of chicago baseball, and these jerkoffs decide to put a picture on the front page of a fat guy with his shirt off? I mean come on, what a joke. The spread they did inside the paper was all backhanded slaps at sox fans as well. :angry:

Sometimes I consider getting into journalism so I can get a job in the sports department of the trib...then write all kinds of crazy lies about the cubs and their fan base. Oh well, the tide is slowly turning in this town...

itsnotrequired
04-05-2006, 10:25 AM
I picked up a free copy of this piece of crap yesterday morning too. Boy was I pissed. One of the best nights in the history of chicago baseball, and these jerkoffs decide to put a picture on the front page of a fat guy with his shirt off? I mean come on, what a joke. The spread they did inside the paper was all backhanded slaps at sox fans as well. :angry:

Sometimes I consider getting into journalism so I can get a job in the sports department of the trib...then write all kinds of crazy lies about the cubs and their fan base. Oh well, the tide is slowly turning in this town...

I think it is important to keep in mind that that the "publication" knows as Red Eye harldy counts as a newspaper.

tebman
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I think it is important to keep in mind that that the "publication" knows as Red Eye harldy counts as a newspaper.
True. Consider the price they get for it.