PDA

View Full Version : Dan Ryan Experiences

HotelWhiteSox
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Just curious about those who drove to Opening Night, or if you want to post tips/experiences as the season goes on.

Mainly concerned about just people going to the game, but just wondering, did you take the Ryan, alternate route, and your experience. Mine will be posted tomorow afternoon :smile:

I want Mags back
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
it was a breeze from the south. No problems at all.

Edward
04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I drove on it during rush hour today, and it actually took me less time than with no construction, I think IDOT scared everyone into those alternate routes, but soon enough people will realize this and it will be a parking lot.

WSox8404
04-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I drove on it during rush hour today, and it actually took me less time than with no construction, I think IDOT scared everyone into those alternate routes, but soon enough people will realize this and it will be a parking lot.

Yep. As soon as people start hearing there is no traffic then the nightmare will begin. Unless people use their heads and keep using what they used today. That is asking too much though and we all know it.

pearso66
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
We took the recommended route from WhiteSox.com. We got off at Ogden, went down Ashland to 38th. It was pretty easy, but a lot of lights.

jamokes
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I took the Ryan from the south on Sunday also and it WAS wide open with no delays.

MrRoboto83
04-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I was shocked how great the trip to Ballpark was on Sunday from the South. It was also nice going home at 2am, with no delays. I was curious to see how bad it will be when a game gets out with a sell out, they rain kinda threw that away. Tuesdays game getting out of the park during Rush Hour is going to be a mess.

FoulTerritory
04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
So are the 35th street Dan Ryan exit ramps still open then? I was under the impression that the local lanes/ramps were closed.

jdm2662
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
It was wide open last night, but of course, it usually is on Sunday night/Monday morning after midnight. At 6:00, it was wide open, but as most people have said, as soon as people hear this, they are going to take the Ryan again. Let the nightmares begin.

South Side Irish
04-03-2006, 11:18 PM
So are the 35th street Dan Ryan exit ramps still open then? I was under the impression that the local lanes/ramps were closed.

The Express lanes are closed this year. Next year presents the on/off challenge with locals closed.

I expect the first 1 -2 weeks to be better than expected, then everyone heads back, creating gridlock. Then, summer tourism to the city increases, and it's worse. I'm glad it hasn't been a disaster yet, but saying 1 Game of easy driving on the Ryan forcasts an easy construction season is like saying the Cubs are winning 95 after rocking the Reds. People need to keep things in perspective. :D:

I'm pleased with how prepared people are with the DR construction, though. If anyone's taken in routinely, it can be terrible at times (hell, any interstate can). With a 50% reduction in lanes, the panic and media frenzy is warranted, IMO. It's worked out well, but I don't think it'll last long.

Law11
04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I left at 2:30.
Took 290 to canal.

But Canal is under construction too.
Zigzagged my way to Clark/Archer through Chinatown and back onto canal
to where it dumped out at 33rd.

Was down there by 3:30.

IspepAloc
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Is the Stevenson Exit on the DR still open?

FoulTerritory
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Is the Stevenson Exit on the DR still open?

I thought I read in the paper that it is closed, but . . . does anyone know for sure?

batmanZoSo
04-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Yep. As soon as people start hearing there is no traffic then the nightmare will begin. Unless people use their heads and keep using what they used today. That is asking too much though and we all know it.
Yeah, I mean they can't provide us with a useful, free-flowing expressway without any construction going on. This is going to be a 2 year nightmare, period.

I used the Dan Ryan this past Saturday night. From the south of Cook county to the Lincoln Park area it took me 40 minutes.

IspepAloc
04-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I thought I read in the paper that it is closed, but . . . does anyone know for sure?

Decided to test it out for myself and had no problems getting on it and getting to the ballpark in less time than it took me on Opening Day using the Alt 90/94 route on Ashland. I'll be taking this route again tomorrow to see how it goes.

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Coming from the west, took the 290, took the Ashland exit (alternate route) since the radio said the Dan Ryan was pretty bad. Ashland was not bad, there's some lights, and you just have to watch out for the bus stops on the right lane, so no big deal. Flowed well on the way home too, didn't look too good going to opposite direction though.

The worst part was after turning onto 35th street, took at least 30-40 minutes just to get near the park, wasn't expecting that, and already know the different way I'll be taking next time. So what should've been a 40 miunte trip (same or less than with DR) turned into well over an hour. Lucky for me, I was early and was able to get a ring