PDA

View Full Version : Kiss Rolen Goodbye

duke of dorwood
01-19-2002, 09:56 AM
PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies locked in three key elements to their 2002 season today when they came to terms with third baseman Scott Rolen, first baseman Travis Lee and starting pitcher Robert Person.

Scott Rolen

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 226
Position: 3B
Bats/Throws: R/R

More info:
Player page
Stats
Hit chart
phillies.com

Video Highlights: 56k | 300k

May as well list Scott Rolen as a New York player now.

All three players, who were eligible for salary arbitration, agreed to one-year deals with the Phillies, General Manager Ed Wade announced this afternoon. The deadline to exchange arbitration figures was noon today.

Rolen agreed to the largest contract in Phillies history. The one-year deal will pay him $8.6 million, plus award bonuses. The 26-year-old third baseman, who many consider to be the best in the game at his position, made $5.5 million in 2001. His 2002 contract is the second largest one-year contract ever for a position player eligible for arbitration, behind only the $10 million Derek Jeter signed for before the 2000 season.

RichH55
01-19-2002, 01:52 PM
You always have to fear the NY teams when it coems to expensive players, but I don't think the Yankees or the Mets have room for Rolen right now...so that is in our favor....someone will pay a nice price for Rolen though

MattSharp
01-19-2002, 02:42 PM
I was hoping someone would start a thread about Rolen. I feel he's rather overrated. Granted he is one of the top 5 3B in the NL, but everyone always makes him out to be a superstar. His stats aren't all that great. He hasn't had a monster year yet, and his numbers are about the same as his rookie year. Since I love to look this **** up, here's his rankings compared to other NL 3B last year:

Avg: 8th
R: 4th
H: 8th
2B: 3rd
HR: 6th
RBI: 4th
BB: 3rd
SB: 2nd
OBP: 4th
SLG: 4th

His average rank comes out between 4th and 5th. So I tried to figure out which 3B would be ranked ahread of him. There were: Chipper Jones, Albert Pujols, Phil Nevin, Aramis Martinez. Jones won't be at 3B next year, so I guess Rolen is in the top 4. There is no doubt hitting-wise he's one of the better 3B in the ML, but he's not superstar material. That's why if Abrea, Travis Lee, and Pat Burrell step it up, I think Rolen is very expendable.

As for the Yankees, don't bet on it. Maybe if Ventura doesn't succedd they will aquire him as a part time solution, but the Yanks are really looking for Drew Henson to be the man in a few years, so I don't think they would want a 26-year old 3B.

I wouldn't mind him on the Sox though :D:

RichH55
01-20-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I was hoping someone would start a thread about Rolen. I feel he's rather overrated. Granted he is one of the top 5 3B in the NL, but everyone always makes him out to be a superstar. His stats aren't all that great. He hasn't had a monster year yet, and his numbers are about the same as his rookie year. Since I love to look this **** up, here's his rankings compared to other NL 3B last year:

Avg: 8th
R: 4th
H: 8th
2B: 3rd
HR: 6th
RBI: 4th
BB: 3rd
SB: 2nd
OBP: 4th
SLG: 4th

His average rank comes out between 4th and 5th. So I tried to figure out which 3B would be ranked ahread of him. There were: Chipper Jones, Albert Pujols, Phil Nevin, Aramis Martinez. Jones won't be at 3B next year, so I guess Rolen is in the top 4. There is no doubt hitting-wise he's one of the better 3B in the ML, but he's not superstar material. That's why if Abrea, Travis Lee, and Pat Burrell step it up, I think Rolen is very expendable.

As for the Yankees, don't bet on it. Maybe if Ventura doesn't succedd they will aquire him as a part time solution, but the Yanks are really looking for Drew Henson to be the man in a few years, so I don't think they would want a 26-year old 3B.

I wouldn't mind him on the Sox though :D:

Rolen is also reputed to have one of the best gloves since Brooks Robinson, so that has to make the old batting stats look better

RichH55
01-20-2002, 02:48 AM
Actually if I recall my major problem with Rolen isnt his glove or bat....as i like both of those a great deal...but those back problems....he's a young man to be having back problems and IIRC back problems never really go away...best case is you can play through them