PDA

View Full Version : More ESPN Bull****

RKMeibalane
04-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Frank vs. Ozzie, Part IV
Oakland and new DH Frank Thomas travel to Chicago to face the White Sox and nemesis Ozzie Guillen. Thomas complains about boos from the U.S. Cellular Field crowd, several coming from the direction of the home GM box.

I realize that this was supposed to be humorous, but if ESPN thinks that Sox fans are going to boo the greatest player to ever wear their team's uniform, then they're even more foolish than I thought. Furthermore, as far as I know, Frank and Ozzie don't have any problems. Leave it to those morons to get it wrong again.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I realize that this was supposed to be humorous, but if ESPN thinks that Sox fans are going to boo the greatest player to ever wear their team's uniform, then they're even more foolish than I thought. Furthermore, as far as I know, Frank and Ozzie don't have any problems. Leave it to those morons to get it wrong again.

I don't know man. Alot of people booed Frank in his prime. Frank will always be my guy.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
How can they say that when he didn't even make it to Chicago yet.?

RKMeibalane
04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't know man. Alot of people booed Frank in his prime. Frank will always be my guy.

They did, but I don't think that's going to happen on his return trip (if that happens). The media uses the Ligue and Dybas incidents to portray Sox fans as drunken, mindless *******s, but that's not the case. I would expect there to be minimal booing, if any. I think people will try to be respectful. After all, if Frank were still around, the Sox probably wouldn't have Thome, and most people are happy that Jimbo is here. :cool:

RKMeibalane
04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
How can they say that when he didn't even make it to Chicago yet.?

It's a virtual calendar for the baseball season. You can find the full version at ESPN.com.

GoGoSoxReborn
04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Anyone who calls themselves a Sox fan should give Thomas a standing ovation and cheer him as loud as possible. He is the greatest player in the history of the organization and deserves to be welcomed home accordingly.

mjmcend
04-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah, a lot of them are not funny and/or not based in truth. Not everything ESPN does is a slight to the Sox. And a few of them even made me chuckle. Like this gem:

July 16 -- In a series against the White Sox, the Yankees are shut out on back-to-back nights by former Yankees Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras. Everyone everywhere has a good laugh.

August 21 -- A strike by a local beer distributor leaves Wrigley Field without beer for one game, forcing 40,000 Cubs fans to watch a game sober and realize for the first time that they've been watching some pretty awful baseball over the past 100 years.

Frontman
04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Frank will get some boos, but only some. He wasn't the most pleasant of guys, even when in his prime, and some fans never liked him personally. As a ballplayer, my hat will always get a tip to one of the greatest hitters I ever saw in person, and I saw quite a few growing up and walking over to Sox games.

However, out of all of the celebrities and atheletes I've ever met, Frank was the biggest jerk of them all. Hands down, bar none; and it wasn't just "one bad day" kind of moments.

Quick synopsis of the sitch:

When I worked at Chicago Children's Museum, Frank was there for a press confrence to announce something involving his charity organization. One Dad and two kids had heard about it, and were in front of the museum hoping for an autograph. Frank was running late and we were instructed to get him in as quickly as possible. When getting him past the front desk, the Dad approached him and his people (agent, bodyguard, whoever) and asked for a quick autograph. Frank himself said that he was running late, but if the Dad and the kids would hang around for the half hour or so, he'd come down and give a few autographs to the kids.

I'm sure you all can guess how this turns out. Later, Frank comes out, blows right past the kids. The Dad even goes to talk to Frank, something like "Come on, man. You promised these kids," and was being polite about it. No foul language, no threatening gestures, nothing. The Dad gets the big bodyguard "Back off" treatment and Frank and co. walk out.

To say the least, the kids were crushed. We wound up letting them in to the museum for free, since it wasn't just making Frank look bad, but our security team look bad too, since we were the one's who helped Frank get in quickly.

To me, that was truly classless. It was a HUGE difference from not just great Sox players that I have met over the years, (even Fisk, who can be a jerk, never was like that with me or my family) but even guys from the Bears and the Bulls or even a few celebrities we had come through never were so blunt and rude.

One of my favorite experiences was actually Chris Zorich, who was also at the Museum for some fund raiser, comes down and ask us guys at the front desk if he'd have a problem getting back in, since he had to go feed the meter! Me and the other guy taking tickets bust out laughing. We said, first, you're a freakin' Bear, active on the roster. Like the two of us would have a chance of stopping you if you really wanted in. I chimed in with second, the thought of you having to feed a parking meter like the rest of us just shows how much of a down to Earth guy you really are. A big laugh, he runs out with a "thanks fellas" and comes back down after his fund raiser, shakes hands with everyone, gives out a few autographs, tore a few tickets for folks coming in, etc.

Now, is Zorich a big of a name as Frank? No way, not even close. But, the man was nice, decent, friendly. Frank wasn't even close. If he's the big superstar, he shouldn't of even acknowledged the Dad and kids in the first place, the wouldn't hung around, and wouldn't of been disappointed after the man himself said he'd get them set up.

Now if those kids, who now are probably late teenage decided to boo Frank, or the Dad did, I wouldn't blame them at all.

Front

Flight #24
04-05-2006, 09:45 AM
All I can say is that I've heard numerous stories of Frank acting 100% the opposite way with fans, and only this one of him blowing them off. I'm sure there are more out there, but it also seems to me like the preponderance of positive stories indicate that he's very interested in giving back to the fans. But of course, the negative stories tend to get a lot more press.

Frank deserves nothinn less than a full on standing O when he comes back. The greatest player in franchise history, who only wanted to stay here his entire career does NOT deserve to be booed.

ondafarm
04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
When Maggs Ordonez returned I recall a smattering of boos but mostly polite applause. I expect Frank will receive the same.

thomas35forever
04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I remember Ray Durham got some applause when he came back to Comiskey.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Some idiot booed Frank's picture today during the opening video before the ballgame.

ESPN should stop stirring up **** while conducting their investigation into the star of one of their "reality" shows.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I don't purchase cable and give even a penny to these assclowns.

DumpJerry
04-06-2006, 12:32 AM
August 21 -- A strike by a local beer distributor leaves Wrigley Field without beer for one game, forcing 40,000 Cubs fans to watch a game sober and realize for the first time that they've been watching some pretty awful baseball over the past 100 years.
Way tooooooooooooooo funny! This is because it is not removed from reality one bit.

Is ESPN getting bitter because their dream team is not being upstaged in its hometown by the WORLD SERIES CHAMPS?