PDA

View Full Version : "It is time..........


cornball
01-18-2002, 09:08 PM
we take a few chances......we can do special things in our division and maybe beyond" famous words from Kenny Williams....

Those words KW said keep me thinking a deal for Kapler or Gagne or someone similiar is not what he is after. I think he is really looking beyond that and for a serious impact player.

Daver
01-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by cornball
we take a few chances......we can do special things in our division and maybe beyond" famous words from Kenny Williams....

Those words KW said keep me thinking a deal for Kapler or Gagne or someone similiar is not what he is after. I think he is really looking beyond that and for a serious impact player.

How many impact players are out there and available?

Without checking I would say not to many.

cornball
01-18-2002, 09:26 PM
There is when you overpay for someone, which seems to be a trend.

Daver
01-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by cornball
There is when you overpay for someone, which seems to be a trend.

Like who?

Name some names.

cornball
01-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Well for starters look at what almost happened with Erstad..but everyone has there price ...Dye is available as rumored as has Glaus, too bad we have no relations with Toronto or the would be a huge list there as they try to cut payroll, Daver all i am saying is think out of the box....for example if it was me.....i hate the fact that our defense sucks ...Carlos Lee what made a league leading 10 errors.....you have Valentin who everyone love but cant field, and clayton who can but everyone hates......i would improve the defense by trading them ....for who is another question and possibly trading for a Soriano of the Yanks....

now before you get carried away...remember this is a typical example of thinking outside the box and improving the club..

to answer your question everyone is available if they dont have clauses in their contract just like they would if we were on the recieving end

czalgosz
01-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Cool new .sig, Daver.

WinningUgly!
01-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Well for starters look at what almost happened with Erstad..but everyone has there price ...Dye is available as rumored as has Glaus, too bad we have no relations with Toronto or the would be a huge list there as they try to cut payroll, Daver all i am saying is think out of the box....for example if it was me.....i hate the fact that our defense sucks ...Carlos Lee what made a league leading 10 errors.....you have Valentin who everyone love but cant field, and clayton who can but everyone hates......i would improve the defense by trading them ....for who is another question and possibly trading for a Soriano of the Yanks....

now before you get carried away...remember this is a typical example of thinking outside the box and improving the club..

to answer your question everyone is available if they dont have clauses in their contract just like they would if we were on the recieving end
Dye just signed a deal with Oakland-he's not going anywhere. Never heard the Glaus rumors, but Shannon Stewart might look nice in CF.

cornball
01-18-2002, 10:22 PM
There was an article in the Trib last week saying Erstad is basically dead but they maybe willing to work out another deal and the reporter had several names including Glaus......seemed like pie in the sky but ...anyway thats what you say everyone is available if your willing to pay....history proves this does Von Hayes ring a bell.....5 for 1

Daver
01-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Cool new .sig, Daver.

Thanx czal,the credit goes to FWC though.

Daver
01-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by cornball
There was an article in the Trib last week saying Erstad is basically dead but they maybe willing to work out another deal and the reporter had several names including Glaus......seemed like pie in the sky but ...anyway thats what you say everyone is available if your willing to pay....history proves this does Von Hayes ring a bell.....5 for 1

The rumour out now is Singleton for Gabe Kapler.

Overpaying for value is fine,overpaying to overpay is ridiculous though.

And No I don't think the Sox overpaid for Todd Ritchie.

guillen4life13
01-18-2002, 10:49 PM
TSN's hot stove report is the only place I've seen a rumor of a straight up kapler-singleton trade. Keep in mind that TSN's rumors are usually just for the sake of saying something in the hot stove report section.

KW would never do anything like that, I don't think. Then again, maybe he will.

Daver
01-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
TSN's hot stove report is the only place I've seen a rumor of a straight up kapler-singleton trade. Keep in mind that TSN's rumors are usually just for the sake of saying something in the hot stove report section.

KW would never do anything like that, I don't think. Then again, maybe he will.

Only time will tell,but I know that Singleton wants out of Chicago.

RichH55
01-19-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
TSN's hot stove report is the only place I've seen a rumor of a straight up kapler-singleton trade. Keep in mind that TSN's rumors are usually just for the sake of saying something in the hot stove report section.

KW would never do anything like that, I don't think. Then again, maybe he will.

I would do Singleton for Kapler...no worries

Daver
01-19-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by RichH55


I would do Singleton for Kapler...no worries

In the long run you gain nothing from that move.It is a trade to make a trade.

RichH55
01-19-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by daver


In the long run you gain nothing from that move.It is a trade to make a trade.


I dont know...Kapler is both younger and the player with more upside of the two....plus Chris is looking like he is on his way out after this year and if you are going to use Rowand than Singleton can become a distraction....Since Singleton isnt in the long term plans and posibly not in the short term, Kapler brings more to the table.....We have better odds of winning the deal than losing it as out (my words here) trade liability is little as Singleton is almost destined to not bring much to the table...its a risk worth taking

Daver
01-19-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by RichH55



I dont know...Kapler is both younger and the player with more upside of the two....plus Chris is looking like he is on his way out after this year and if you are going to use Rowand than Singleton can become a distraction....Since Singleton isnt in the long term plans and posibly not in the short term, Kapler brings more to the table.....We have better odds of winning the deal than losing it as out (my words here) trade liability is little as Singleton is almost destined to not bring much to the table...its a risk worth taking

Then you end up renting Kapler for a year,which is what everyone bitched about with the Erstad deal,face it Borchard will be the CF in 2003.

RichH55
01-19-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by daver


Then you end up renting Kapler for a year,which is what everyone bitched about with the Erstad deal,face it Borchard will be the CF in 2003.
If Kapler is the goods you can sign him, no? Him being on our team makes it easier to get him to sign again with us.....And aren't you a guy who figures we are better off without Lee? Even if Borchard comes ready to play in 2003, Lee is still at LF...and if the 2nd half of 2001 wasn't an abberation then Lee isn't the guy for the future...Now if Lee isn't the future and you have Kapler, then you can play Borchard in right, Mags in Left....you can still get burned if Kapler isnt the guy and Borchard/Lee aren't the goods, but having Kapler certainly gives you more viable options and contingency plans and ultimately leverage than Singleton will.....plus I think next year Kapler will be the better ballplayer than Singleton and sinceworse case scenario you have one of Singleton or Kapler for a year ...than I go with the guy that i think we be the better ballplayer

voodoochile
01-19-2002, 09:53 AM
If the trade is Singleton for Kapler straight up, I say do it. What do we lose? Nothing. What do we gain? OBP, SB and SBP, youth. There would be no downside to that dea, IMO. Heck, through in Josh Paul and call it addition by subtraction...

Daver
01-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If the trade is Singleton for Kapler straight up, I say do it. What do we lose? Nothing. What do we gain? OBP, SB and SBP, youth. There would be no downside to that dea, IMO. Heck, through in Josh Paul and call it addition by subtraction...

The deal might be worth it if they take Royce too.

:)

czalgosz
01-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If the trade is Singleton for Kapler straight up, I say do it. What do we lose? Nothing. What do we gain? OBP, SB and SBP, youth. There would be no downside to that dea, IMO. Heck, through in Josh Paul and call it addition by subtraction...

It's a nice idea, but I don't think that the Rangers would take that trade. Even if they did, Kapler would be an upgrade, but not enough of one, IMO, to make a huge difference.

And besides, all you Aaron Rowand fans out there would be disappointed - Rowand would be pretty effectively pushed out of the picture.

I don't know, Gabe Kapler just doesn't get me all excited.

SOXSINCE'70
01-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by RichH55



I dont know...Kapler is both younger and the player with more upside of the two....plus Chris is looking like he is on his way out after this year and if you are going to use Rowand than Singleton can become a distraction....Since Singleton isnt in the long term plans and posibly not in the short term, Kapler brings more to the table.....We have better odds of winning the deal than losing it as out (my words here) trade liability is little as Singleton is almost destined to not bring much to the table...its a risk worth taking

I'm a big Gabe Kapler fan.I'm with you,basically because,as you mentioned,Kapler is younger and has a bigger upside.At least IMHO.
:uboat