PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson: Things to come?

SouthSideLove
04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
If anyone was at the game last night they would notice how good Anderson looked in the field. Did anyone notice, early in the game, that deep throw to the cut off man? That throw had some serious zip to it. Let us not forget his night at bat, 2-2, with a 2-run single.

Don't get me wrong, it's a 162-game season, and I still have some skepticism. However, if he plays the way he played last night all season long, I'm sold on this kid. What do you guys think? What can we expect from this guy?

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
2-3... he K'ed on a seriously ugly pitch

SouthSideLove
04-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the correction. I must've been grabbing a beer...

kevingrt
04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Very promising start for Brian Anderson and other youngsters like McCarthy and Thorton. I think BA and Thorton though will get the most important boost in confidence, knowing they can play in the bigs. McCarthy already knows, just look at the BoSox in September last year.

I think Brian may not be Rowand but will be a very capable CF especially considering his age. Andyou know what Anderson + Thome are going to be better this year then Rowand + Thomas + Everett. However, I still think Everett may end up on this team come August.

credefan24
04-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I like Anderson. He looked ok, with that single, yet also whiffed, like the previous poster said. That being said, hey, this is his first full season in the big leagues, I think he will be a solid CF'er for the good guys. I'm excited about him.

scottjanssens
Despite the other thread for Pick to Click, Anderson was probably the player of the game.

SouthSideLove
Everett back on the team later this season? Interesting thought.

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the correction. I must've been grabbing a beer... NP... He did look good at the dish for the most part and if Michaels had caught his double I would have immediately recommended it for webgem of the the year.... His arm looks good but with the weather I couldn't really tell how he was at getting jumps on flyballs.... Also I was impressed with Mackowiak's arm strength as well... I can see him as a typical late inning replacement in left for Pods... Much better arm strength...

Tekijawa
04-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I think Brian may not be Rowand but will be a very capable CF especially considering his age.

I think you got that backwards... Will Anderson run into walls like Crash, probably not, but Anderson > Rowand!

soxfan13
04-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Everett back on the team later this season? Interesting thought.

No No No :smile:

CHIsoxNation
04-03-2006, 01:47 PM
I think you got that backwards... Will Anderson run into walls like Crash, probably not, but Anderson > Rowand!

I agree 100%. From the little I've watched him over the past few years, he definitely seems like a great defensive center fielder. Not to mention the kid has a cannon for an arm.

Uncle_Patrick
04-03-2006, 01:59 PM
However, I still think Everett may end up on this team come August.

Why? :?:

I think Everett more or less sealed his fate with the Sox with his comments this spring.

I thought Anderson looked pretty good last night.

White Sox Randy
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Overall, he will be better than Rowand. Probably not this year but in the future - especially if he is able to cut down on his strikeouts.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Overall, he will be better than Rowand. Probably not this year but in the future - especially if he is able to cut down on his strikeouts.

He's better right now. Rowand didn't add much with the bat. Without looking it up, he lead the team in K's last year.

vafan
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe the most important thing was that Anderson drew his first major league walk last night. After a 0/12 BB/K ratio last year, his 1/1 showing last night looked a lot better.

Hagan
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
I am so excited about anderson and expect big things from him in the next few years. I think he is going to have a solid year this year and help our team more than from what some people say.

ondafarm
04-03-2006, 02:32 PM

I watched both play in the minors and the difference is night and day. Rowand was a great effort player and obviously learnt fom his experience.
Anderson is an intuitive CF and really outplays Rowand by a considerable margin. Anderson shifted position more than Rowand dared and got himself in throwing position much quicker. Anderson gets far better jumps than Rowand as well.

Not to knock Rowand, he tried hard and learnt alot and made himself a worthy everyday player, but Anderson covers more ground and throws a lot better.

Chisox003
04-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Kid's gonna be a star

:gulp:

WS in 05
04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Don't know what he was thinking when he got doubled up

Randar68
04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
I watched both play in the minors and the difference is night and day. Rowand was a great effort player and obviously learnt fom his experience.
Anderson is an intuitive CF and really outplays Rowand by a considerable margin. Anderson shifted position more than Rowand dared and got himself in throwing position much quicker. Anderson gets far better jumps than Rowand as well.

And where were all you guys the last 2 years when I had to single-handedly beat-down the FOC? Sheeesh.

I've been saying these things about Anderson for a couple of years now (in addition to pointing out that Rowand runs bad routes and until his last season in Chicago was TERRIBLE at setting himself up to throw with his footwork)...

The difference when watching someone with natural instincts that just flows to the ball is night and day and is exactly what I was talking about when describing why Rowand was not a natural CF'er...

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
And where were all you guys the last 2 years when I had to single-handedly beat-down the FOC? Sheeesh.

I've been saying these things about Anderson for a couple of years now (in addition to pointing out that Rowand runs bad routes and until his last season in Chicago was TERRIBLE at setting himself up to throw with his footwork)...

The difference when watching someone with natural instincts that just flows to the ball is night and day and is exactly what I was talking about when describing why Rowand was not a natural CF'er...

I thought Rowand was just about average all around. He's a good fielder with a weak stick. Now that he's getting all this undeserved man love, I can't help but point out that Aaron Rowand pretty much sucked last year. He had 1 good year. (coming off a major injury/power numbers spiked/noticably bigger :?:)

Anderson's probably a better all around player right now. Couple that with his upside and you have yourself a better, cheaper ballplayer.

scottjanssens
04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Don't know what he was thinking when he got doubled up

He was thinking there were already two outs.

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 03:43 PM
I never doubted Anderson's arm. It's probably better right now than Dye's & definitely stronger than Rowand's. I likewise never doubted that Anderson would produce better overall numbers defensively than Rowand. That includes more speed on the pads.

All I've ever questioned are his instincts to get good jumps on balls, make web gems, & get to balls quickly. These are the things Rowand excelled at.

I think it will take at least a full year before I'm convinced Anderson can be as good as Rowand defensively.

Regardless, I'm very impressed with the Rookie's 1st game of the year. I would love for Ozzie to praise him like he does Sizemore at the end of the year.

tebman
04-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I was sitting in the UD near the RF foul pole and had a clear view of Anderson's 2B hit. The double that went off the leftfielder's glove was *smoked* off BA's bat.

I'm a sucker for line-drive hitters, and if Anderson keeps hitting that way we won't have any more questions about having replaced Rowand.

Aaron's a terrific player and a great teammate and was a vital part of last year's success. But Anderson looks like the real deal to me.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 04:11 PM
instincts to get good jumps on balls, make web gems, & get to balls quickly. These are the things Rowand excelled at.

:whoflungpoo

ondafarm
04-03-2006, 04:28 PM
All I've ever questioned are his instincts to get good jumps on balls, make web gems, & get to balls quickly. These are the things Rowand excelled at.

Good outfielders don't make web gems very often and they certainly don't crash into walls.

Spectacular looking plays are much more the result of athletic ability and poor play than the opposite.

Rowand did not get good jumps on balls and took horrible routes to them, but he did get better.

IA_soxfan
04-03-2006, 04:31 PM

I think it will take at least a full year before I'm convinced Anderson can be as good as Rowand defensively.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rowand and how he (to use an overused sports cliche) left it all on the field every time he played for us. That being said, I have to believe that some of those web gems from Rowand would be mere running catches for Anderson.

Tragg
04-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Rowand was a good player; good fielder and pretty good hitter (nothing special, but okay) - it seemed to me he played a deep CF, which allowed him to run down some balls in the alleys (like Yankee stadium, where the Yanks, raved about him and the media, based on those performances, overrated him). But then we saw in the 9th inning of game 4 - a lot of CFs would have caught that bloop lead-off hit of the Astros.

I've only seen Anderson play in 3 or so games; but I thought last year he knew what he was doing - in particular, I watched him position himself perfectly on balls hit off an unfamiliar wall in Cleveland, and then make nice throws in.
We're certainly not getting a downgrade, and could be a solid upgrade.

wdelaney72
04-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Aaron who?

I liked Rowand, but Anderson will be comparable if not better THIS season. Rowand certainly didn't set the bar very high last season.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Rowand was a good player; good fielder and pretty good hitter (nothing special, but okay) - it seemed to me he played a deep CF, which allowed him to run down some balls in the alleys (like Yankee stadium, where the Yanks, raved about him and the media, based on those performances, overrated him). But then we saw in the 9th inning of game 4 - a lot of CFs would have caught that bloop lead-off hit of the Astros.

Rowand LEARNED to play CF, but he never had the instincts for it. He played deep to cover up his ability to go back and because he had a hard time reading the ball, particularly balls hit right at him... it allowed him to be moving forward on balls that most guys can judge and move laterally to get to without having give up all that room in front of them.

Rowand was a LF'er who learned to play CF as best he could. Brian Anderson is a CF'er. (sorry, this sounds like a lot of posts I've made over the past 2 years, but now that Rowand's gone it seems there are more people willing to look at him without the infatuation and need to cover up his deficiencies)

TDog
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Rowand was a good ....

And the debate continues.

You know, there are some places you can go where people debate whether the Yankees and Red Sox should have swapped Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams.

The White Sox won the World Series with Aaron Rowand in center. But I like Brian Anderson and hope they can win it with him in center.

SoLongFrank
04-04-2006, 12:56 AM
It's one thing to talk Anderson up & quite another to talk Rowand down. You don't judge a CFer by what you see a game here or a game there. You judge him by his total contribution over the course of the year.

There's a reason why Rowand led most CFers in run's saved & defensive win share. He made the plays.

There are few players that could make better plays to his left, right, & deep. He was weak with balls hit in front of him. On those he didn't always get the best jump but he still had speed & athletic ability to make those plays more often than not.

His defensive win-share numbers are no lie.

Now wrt to Anderson, I've seen him get better jumps on balls hit in front of him & good speed for that hit behind him. But I've not seen him get good jumps to his left or his right. But he's not had any where near enough time in the ML's to judge him. He's learning USCF this year.

Jurr
04-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Nobody better say a word about Anderson's jumps. He got to every ball he was supposed to get to, and might I add that he was having to run around on absolutely SOAKED grass. Those players were hesitant on every fielding play, due to the conditions.

I was talking to a guy who was noting the same thing. If that kid could get to every ball in those conditions, he's in good shape!!