PDA

View Full Version : Hardball Times Sox Analysis

scottjanssens
04-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I think Studeman makes several excellent points. Especially regarding Thome/Thomas and the offense.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/five-questions-chicago-white-sox1/

I think he's right about the bullpen, that's about the only question mark on the team. I think it's fair to say the Sox won't enjoy such a high winning percentage in 1-run games this season. But with an improved offense some of those 1-run wins should become 3 or 4-run wins.

TDog
04-04-2006, 05:15 AM
I think he's right about the bullpen, that's about the only question mark on the team. I think it's fair to say the Sox won't enjoy such a high winning percentage in 1-run games this season. But with an improved offense some of those 1-run wins should become 3 or 4-run wins.

Saying the White Sox won't have as high a winning percentage in 1-run games isn't going out on a limb -- just as saying the White Sox won't get off to as great a start as they did last year is pretty easy to say. The Sox can still be very good without meeting those high standards. I would like to think they won't play in as many one-run games this year with some improved offense.

Still, I'm not convinced that questions in the bullpen will necessarily lead to more 1-run losses. Everyone (that is everyone who has fallen in love with that team from Cleveland) loves the Indians' bullpen and thought it was great last year. And yet, what killed the Tribe in the final analysis was their 1-run losses.

Steelrod
04-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Saying the White Sox won't have as high a winning percentage in 1-run games isn't going out on a limb -- just as saying the White Sox won't get off to as great a start as they did last year is pretty easy to say. The Sox can still be very good without meeting those high standards. I would like to think they won't play in as many one-run games this year with some improved offense.

Still, I'm not convinced that questions in the bullpen will necessarily lead to more 1-run losses. Everyone (that is everyone who has fallen in love with that team from Cleveland) loves the Indians' bullpen and thought it was great last year. And yet, what killed the Tribe in the final analysis was their 1-run losses.
It continues to amaze me that the Sox run is always looked upon as lucky, with the Cleveland Aug-Sept run having nothing to do with luck. Not to mention there late Sept dropoff being bad luck!

Tragg
04-04-2006, 10:41 AM
It continues to amaze me that the Sox run is always looked upon as lucky, with the Cleveland Aug-Sept run having nothing to do with luck. Not to mention there late Sept dropoff being bad luck!

The choking part gets me.

We were choking.

Cleveland,which won 1 game the last week against Tampa Bay and the Sox B team (all at home) put up a spirited fight.

MisterB
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
The choking part gets me.

We were choking.

Cleveland,which won 1 game the last week against Tampa Bay and the Sox B team (all at home) put up a spirited fight.

The Sox did NOT ****ing choke. They were 33 games over .500 as of Aug. 1 and then cooled off to finish 36 games over. Cleveland was 4 games over at the same point and then pulled off an unbelievable 6 weeks where they went 32-11 (a .744 winning pct.), after which they went 6-7 over the last 2 weeks (including 2-4 against the Sox).

The Indians DID put up an incredible 6 week run in an otherwise mediocre season. The Sox still lead wire-to-wire, and finished with 99 wins. They didn't choke.