PDA

View Full Version : Selling tix at face outside The Cell?

downstairs
04-03-2006, 12:20 PM
(Pardon me if this is the wrong place for this question...)

Is it illegal to sell tickets at face value outside The Cell? Obviously "scalping" is illegal, and I've seen cops catch people.

I may have one extra ticket tomorrow, but I won't know until a few minutes before the game. So its not like I can unload it here or anything.

So I'm assuming I can sell it to someone it the parking lot... but I have no reason to risk trouble for $30 or whatever...

Chicken Dinner
04-03-2006, 12:24 PM
It's never illegal to sell tickets for face.

downstairs
04-03-2006, 12:27 PM
It's never illegal to sell tickets for face.

I was hoping not. But I thought maybe it was illegal to sell any tickets outside the park- otherwise how would they catch scalpers?

I mean... if I was a scalper and got busted... couldn't I just claim I was selling at face?

kevingrt
04-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Face or below is good... The Sox and other organizations just don't want to customer making a profit.

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Face or below is good... The Sox and other organizations just don't want to customer making a profit.

This kinda bugs me though... Because Illinois has no limit on selling above face on ebay or anything, plus the Sox have that ticket exchange thing and good luck finding a ticket for face on there...

downstairs
04-03-2006, 12:35 PM
This kinda bugs me though... Because Illinois has no limit on selling above face on ebay or anything, plus the Sox have that ticket exchange thing and good luck finding a ticket for face on there...

Yeah they do... they just don't enforce it. Imagine the work involved in trying to track that down.

Also, the law allows for "licensed" companies to sell above face. The White Sox, I am sure, are one of those.

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah they do... they just don't enforce it. Imagine the work involved in trying to track that down.

Also, the law allows for "licensed" companies to sell above face. The White Sox, I am sure, are one of those.

So if a guy walking around the ballpark has a license its legal then?

downstairs
04-03-2006, 12:51 PM
So if a guy walking around the ballpark has a license its legal then?

Well, I'm not a lawyer... I've just heard that there are, indeed, outlets who are allowed to sell over face. Otherwise how/why would brokers advertise?

Now- where, when, how they're allowed to do it... i do not know.

I could be wrong on all of this...

Teamo Supremo
04-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Last year when I saw a guy being detained for selling tickets, I asked White Sox security about selling tickets. He told me the price didn't matter, it was just not allowed.

The White Sox website seems to support that.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#Scalping/ResaleofTickets

Scalping/Resale of Tickets
The resale of White Sox game tickets is strictly prohibited on U.S. Cellular Field property. Any persons caught doing so shall be brought to the attention of the proper authorities. To avoid problems with counterfeit, stolen, void or inflated tickets, purchase them only at the U.S. Cellular Field Box Office (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#BoxOfficeHours)or from an authorized outlet.

PaleHosed
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I've sold extra tickets before games on few occasions and I've never had a problem. You are not supposed to sell any tickets regardless of value outside the park, but I don't think they'll bother you if it's pretty easy to tell that you are not out there trying to make a buck. I think its pretty obvious picking out who the scalpers are opposed to a fan just getting rid of some extras. I've bought extras from someone while standing in line at the box office and didn't have a problem.

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Well... I think a good way to alleviate this problem is to establish a broker area near the park... I know of many other teams that have an area established near the park, set up on game day under a tent.... People can both buy and sell tickets, granted these are licensed entities but could alleviate problems... All tickets bought and sold at these establishments are verified as legit tickets... I have seen these places in Colorado, Houston, Cleveland... May just be set up for big games and the like but that would also be the games with a greater likelihood of fakes. Would be a decent way to quickly unload extras or pick up tix for sold out events... Thoughts?

Edit: Just to be clear I am not recommending a Wrigleyville atmosphere type broker places... One or 2 tents on gameday max...Just with so many games sold out to near capacity already this year I would hate to be someone that gets scammed on a fake ticket or stuck with extra tix... Does that make sense?

IlliniSox4Life
04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
The law according to the Illinois General Assembly:

from http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=094-0020

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, owner, lessee, manager, trustee, or any of their employees or agents, owning, conducting, managing or operating any theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold for any such places of amusement or public entertainment to sell or permit the sale, barter or exchange of such admission tickets at any other place than in the box office or on the premises of such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement, but nothing herein prevents such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement from placing any of its admission tickets for sale at any other place at the same price such admission tickets are sold by such theater, circus, baseball park or other place of public entertainment or amusement at its box office or on the premises of such places, at the same advertised price or printed rate thereof.

So basically, if I am reading it correctly, yes, it is illegal to sell tickets outside the park no matter the price, unless you are doing it on behalf of the Sox organization.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Well... I think a good way to alleviate this problem is to establish a broker area near the park... I know of many other teams that have an area established near the park, set up on game day under a tent.... People can both buy and sell tickets, granted these are licensed entities but could alleviate problems... All tickets bought and sold at these establishments are verified as legit tickets... I have seen these places in Colorado, Houston, Cleveland... May just be set up for big games and the like but that would also be the games with a greater likelihood of fakes. Would be a decent way to quickly unload extras or pick up tix for sold out events... Thoughts?

Edit: Just to be clear I am not recommending a Wrigleyville atmosphere type broker places... One or 2 tents on gameday max...Just with so many games sold out to near capacity already this year I would hate to be someone that gets scammed on a fake ticket or stuck with extra tix... Does that make sense?

Milwaukee has this as well.

Don't sell tickets at any price on US Cellular Grounds (and parking lots) and you should be ok. Sell them at Jimbos, past the parking lots and you should be ok if you are selling them at face. Above face is scalping and can only be done by licensed brokers. Non licensed brokers (i.e. you or I) can only sell tickets above face on websites with proper customer service / problem resolution procedures in place without breaking the law.

Since the poster asked where you can legally sell tickets at face, ask one of the many policemen out near the park and they will let you know where to go. IIRC, the law is sales must be either 500 or 1000 feet away from the ballpark which may or may not include parking lots.

The best place to buy or sell tickets at face are here at the Ticket Exchange. :supernana:

WhiteSoxFan84
04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Didn't Illinois legalize ticket scalping like 1-2 yrs ago?

Steelrod
04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
For licensed dealers.
The problem is avoided if you are not on stadium property. Always see guys on 31th st exit with signs buying and selling, so that must be ok.

IlliniSox4Life
04-03-2006, 03:21 PM

You need a license to do it, and in order to get a license, there is a lot of stuff you have to do. So basically, joe schmoe can't scalp tickets, but a dealer can.

irish rover
04-03-2006, 04:14 PM
The law according to the Illinois General Assembly:

from http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=094-0020

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, owner, lessee, manager, trustee, or any of their employees or agents, owning, conducting, managing or operating any theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold for any such places of amusement or public entertainment to sell or permit the sale, barter or exchange of such admission tickets at any other place than in the box office or on the premises of such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement, but nothing herein prevents such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement from placing any of its admission tickets for sale at any other place at the same price such admission tickets are sold by such theater, circus, baseball park or other place of public entertainment or amusement at its box office or on the premises of such places, at the same advertised price or printed rate thereof.

So basically, if I am reading it correctly, yes, it is illegal to sell tickets outside the park no matter the price, unless you are doing it on behalf of the Sox organization.

Thus this is how da coob can do it than?, interesting