PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Hates Joe Mogan?

brucefan34
04-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I cannot stand him on ESPN games. what irritated me the most last night was when Travis Hafner was up and Ozzie put on the David Ortiz shift like he did in the playoffs. Hafner grounded out to Iguchi but Iguchi had to move to his right to field the ball and throw him out. Morgan goes on to "analyze" the play and says he really sees no need for that big of a shift. Really, Joe? Ya don't think since Hafner is a pure pull hitter it does not make sence to have another fielder on that side of the diamond? Boy, it sure worked everytime Big Poppi hit the ball on the ground in the first round of the playoffs...you should know that Joe, those games were on your network! It's Farmio and Singleton from now on when the Sox are on Sunday night.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't think they had the shift on. Uribe was still on the SS side of 2b. Iguchi was just playing really deep. I thought it was kind of odd too. It was raining. The infield was slow.

SOecks
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
*raises hand* I can't stand that windbag. Now Berman is on ESPN for the Mets-Nats game so I have to put it all on mute.

Baby Fisk
:morgan

"How DARE you, sir? I invented baseball. If it weren't for my foresight and benevolence, not to mention my munificence and magnificence, you wouldn't have a national pastime to discuss this very day. If it weren't for me, you would have never been born! You don't deserve to bear witness to my omnipotence. I cast you from this earth, blasphemer!"

hawkjt
posted on another thread, later in the game Iguchis placement allowed him to cut down the runner going to second and Morgan was surprised he could make that play.

It was smart placement by Ozzie. Do not hate morgan but he is slow to praise 2nd basemen, it seems.

SOXPHILE
04-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey, he's the best 2nd baseman, and best announcer/color commentator ever. Just ask him. I'm not too fond of him. The stuff he's said in that all knowing way of his, and been just flat out WRONG about over the years, is too numerous to list. Also, as I posted in another thread, I could never stand his posterior kissing and apologizing for Barry Bonds and the obvious steroids and HGH he has done.

1951Campbell
04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
:morgan

"How DARE you, sir? I invented baseball. If it weren't for my foresight and benevolence, not to mention my munificence and magnificence, you wouldn't have a national pastime to discuss this very day. If it weren't for me, you would have never been born! You don't deserve to bear witness to my omnipotence. I cast you from this earth, blasphemer!"

Oh, and Joe? We know the Big Red Machine had a really good run in the 70s. We heard you the first 4,000 times.

Rooney4Prez56
04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I dont hate the guy. He's one of the best on ESPN.

Of course, that doesn't say much.

I didn't like how Jon Miller called Iguchi Taguchi fora few innings.

kraut83
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't care for morgan & I'd love to see Jon Miller paired with a decent color guy.

BTW, did Gammons annoy the hell out of anyone else last night? Sunday night BB is going to be almost unwatchable with his insightful commentary from the stands.

TheOldRoman
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't really care for him as an announcer, but there are a lot worse.
Also, he played before I was born, but from what I hear he was far and away the best second baseman ever. His numbers are unreal. Plus, he grew up idolizing Nellie and hates the fraud Sandburg, so he can't be that bad.

I will respect Morgan's comments one million times more than anything that comes out of the bloated mouths of media stooges such as Berman or Brantley.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
BTW, did Gammons annoy the hell out of anyone else last night? Sunday night BB is going to be almost unwatchable with his insightful commentary from the stands.
That's HALL OF FAMER Gammons to you and me. :rolleyes:

soxfan13
04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
SO BAD I especially hate the WHEN I PLAYED COMMENTS :angry:

wassagstdu
04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I like Joe Morgan a lot as a color commentator. He is the best right now. He mostly has interesting insights and I always enjoy watching games he does. Phil Rizzuto was my all time (non-Chicago) favorite. Morgan also credited Nellie Fox for teaching him how to play 2nd base when he started with Houston.

Hokiesox
04-03-2006, 01:46 PM
That's HALL OF FAMER Gammons to you and me. :rolleyes:

I hated how he showed up in a shot where the camera was looking UP at him. And he had those glasses and trench coat and a smug grin on his face like he OBVIOUSLY knew so much more about the game than I did. And the pen and paper didn't help either.

Chip Z'nuff
04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
It also looked like they were in front of a blue screen when they showed them on camera. I wonder if they were even AT the game!

Mendoza Line
04-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Joe Morgan has an annoying habit of turning everything into a Barry Bonds story. "Thome is a powerful guy.. which reminds me of how much I love Barry Bonds"

I really don't care about Bonds, and I was tired of hearing about him by the second inning. The White Sox and the Indians are playing, Joe, NOT Barry.

patbooyah
04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
joe morgan got heckled pretty good last night because during "god bless america" he was sitting down and getting make-up. it was awesome.

gammons got an earful, too. my favorite: "boston in four, eh, peter? bet you can't wait to get back east"

ondafarm
04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Joe Morgan gets a lot of slack in my book. I met him once in the innards of Chavez Ravine and I told him I was a fan because all the way thru high-school I'd played the same position, he asked if my father had taught me to play second and I told him, "No, my mother did. She'd founded Nellie Fox's fan club." He mentioned that he was a great fan of Nellie Fox and how he was the man who taught him to be a major leaguer. Turns out he also knew the guy in the Dragon's organization who'd ocupied second base forcing me to move to catcher during my brief Japanese career. When we were parting, he asked for my mother's address and a few weeks later my mother received a very nice photo of rookie Joe Morgan and veteran Nellie Fox, autographed by both. She truly cherises this.

About his coments last night. I honestly thought he was spot on on everything I heard. His comments about Iguchi's shift were more that it was due to the slow infield that Iguchi was too deep. Also the play where Iguchi got the runner at second was more due to the unconventional style of the play. In Japan, they teach you to pivot counter clockwise on that play (back to infield) but Iguchi broke the rule and pivoted clockwise, making it a much harder play, although he still got him. I was more annoyed with Jon Miller's calling him "Tada Iguchi" than anything Morgan said.

Erik The Red
04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.nationwidespeakers.com/images/biopics/JoeRogan_570.jpg

"Hey, that's not very nice! Oh... Joe Mogan..... carry on....."

TDog
04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Joe Morgan gets a lot of slack in my book. ...

That doesn't surprise me, and it is great to read. One thing that always bothered me about Joe Morgan was how he so easily got into the Hall of Fame when Nellie Fox wasn't getting the support he deserved. The whole Big Red Machine annoyed me. I still hold it against Joe Morgan.

Last fall when I was listening to the ALCS and World Series on ESNP radio, I found him to be fair to both teams and not the Sox-hater that people at WSI characterized him as during the season.

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I disagree. Morgan knows jack-**** about the White Sox players & the White Sox team & it shows.

Everyone knows Ozzie calls the shifts. Iguchi doesn't decide jack as to where he should position himself. Ozzie calls the shifts based on knowledge of a hitter's tendancy balanced against the strength of a fielder's arm. They get those reports from the scouting & evaluation guys.

The White Sox are blessed with an IF of strong arms with Uribe probably having the strongest & fastest of the 4. Even Konerko has a pretty good arm for DP situations where he throws to 2nd.

Morgan obviously didn't know this. He judged it based on his general knowledge of the game when he played it. He can't accept the possibility that guys have stronger arms & quicker feet than he did.

hawkjt
04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
comments on the gooch to second play,Ondafarm, were expressing surprise that gooch elected to try to cut down the lead runner.

he said normally the second baseman goes for the sure out at first.

I think it was because of gooch's positioning that he even had a shot.

Not sure about the spin, but I will say it looked awkward the way he did it.

But he got him and thats is the bottom line.

maurice
04-03-2006, 03:53 PM
from what I hear he was far and away the best second baseman ever. His numbers are unreal.

This is an exaggeration. Most of his numbers are great for a 2B, but he had a .271 career AVE. Compare that to, say, the Sox very own Eddie Collins (.333 with speed) or Rogers Hornsby (.358 with power).

MadetoOrta
04-03-2006, 03:56 PM
I thought Morgan was right on about McCarthy. I too thought McCarthy didn't have his best stuff. He was tipping his off-speed stuff unlike last year where the arm action for the fastball was the same as the change. First game of the year .... I'll take it. By the way, that just shows how far mcCarthy has advanced in a mere season. Last year when he had mediocre stuff, the Rangers rocked him. Last night, he found a way to get guys out with average stuff. He's special.

ondafarm
04-03-2006, 04:08 PM
comments on the gooch to second play,Ondafarm, were expressing surprise that gooch elected to try to cut down the lead runner.

he said normally the second baseman goes for the sure out at first.

I think it was because of gooch's positioning that he even had a shot.

Not sure about the spin, but I will say it looked awkward the way he did it.

But he got him and thats is the bottom line.

Afraid that just doesn't make sense to me. I thought Morgan was pointing it out but not surprised that Iguchi would do it. Japanese infielders will always go after the lead guy, if at all possible. The rule from second was if you look up and the guy is in your field of view, which Iguchi clearly quickly did, then you go after him.

I also know that Morgan knows this about the Japanese, as I've heard him discuss the difference between Japanese and American styles of infield play. I've heard him talk about the measuring sticks used in Japan as to where you throw the ball in a bunt situation, take a chance on the lead guy or take the sure out at first.

I agree, he got him and thats the best result.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
When you talk about best 2b's ever, the conversation starts and ends with Rogers Hornsby. His numbers are just out of this world.

miker
04-03-2006, 04:43 PM
"Hate" is a strong word. I am impressed with Joe Morgan as a player, delighted that he was Nellie Fox's protege and dissapointed that his color commentary is often narcissistic.

chisoxfan64
04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Not too crazy about Morgan, but the addition of Gammons made it a whole lot worse. I had to hit the mute button every time they went to him.

ondafarm
04-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Not too crazy about Morgan, but the addition of Gammons made it a whole lot worse. I had to hit the mute button every time they went to him.

On the annoyance scale, if Joe Morgan is a gnat, then Gammons is Darth Vader.

fquaye149
04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
who else hates joe morgan?

http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com

WizardsofOzzie
04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Anyone else catch the part where there was a baseball conversation going on and morgan interruped to say hi to his daughter or something along those lines? That was classic. Oh and lets not forget when he said that Thome was a cubs fan as a kid.....i wasn't aware they were neighbors as kids

LuvSox
04-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Morgan was laughable last night, blowing Bonds whenever he could.

Anyone else get the feeling Gammons is auditioning for the Commish job?