PDA

View Full Version : Miller's call of Thome Blast

SoxEd
04-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Now, British TV ditched the game during the rain delay, so I went to bed not knowing the result.
:(:
(They gave up on it at 4am UK time, and went to a show about the Final Four.)

Imagine my delight when I got up today, not only on seeing a 10-4 White Sox Winner, but on reviewing the footage of Thome's Homer.

Jon Miller's commentary of that at-bat Made My Day!

It's still available on MLB.com & Whitesox.com as a video highlight.

YES!

skobabe8
04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
It was a great call by JM.

sox1970
04-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Good call by John Miller, but he still sucks---and so does Joe Morgan. Just awful.

oeo
04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
It was a very good call...surprised me. I got goosebumps when I heard the call again this morning on SportsCenter.

pythons007
04-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I absolutely loved the call!

The Racehorse
04-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Jon Miller always exudes unabashed enthusiasm. I was just checking out MLB.com's new front page format and listened to his calling the Thome blast. I agree that it's some great, great stuff.

Deebs14
04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
It certainly was a good call...and usually I watch Sox games on mute whenever they're on ESPN/The Deuce.

spluta7913
04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I agree it was a good call, although i did not here it until this morning on sportscenter, due to the fact i was yelling to loud as it sailed through the rainy night, as soon as his bat made contact i was quoting the hawk at a very high decibal, waking up wife and kid in process. If this team stays healthy, lookout!!

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Great call by Miller. He can be mundane doing p-b-p, especially with Morgan pontificating over him for 9 innings, but Miller is good at capturing key moments or notable plays. Remember "TOUCHDOWN!" from last season? I forget which teams were involved, but he yelled that after someone airmailed a throw way over the plate on a play at home. It was a hilarious call. :cool:

oeo
04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Great call by Miller. He can be mundane doing p-b-p, especially with Morgan pontificating over him for 9 innings, but Miller is good at capturing key moments or notable plays.

Exactly...way better than Joe Buck and his terrible calls. How did that guy show no excitement to see a Grand Slam and a walk-off homer both in the same game?

spluta7913
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
i didnt like the fact that miller was hesitant about refering to the sox as world champs, and at one point referred to them as major league baseball champs.

SoxFan76
04-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Miller is one of the better announcers I've ever heard.

palehozenychicty
04-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Great call by Miller. He can be mundane doing p-b-p, especially with Morgan pontificating over him for 9 innings, but Miller is good at capturing key moments or notable plays. Remember "TOUCHDOWN!" from last season? I forget which teams were involved, but he yelled that after someone airmailed a throw way over the plate on a play at home. It was a hilarious call. :cool:

For example, in Game 2 of the LCS last year when he called Crede's double off the wall and his voice trailed, "Into the corner...........!" Awesome. I envisioned Thome hitting a blast on opening day, and it happened.

alohafri
04-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Good call by John Miller, but he still sucks---and so does Joe Morgan. Just awful.

You mean Joe "I Should Be The Only Secondbaseman In the Hall of Fame" Morgan?

Realist
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
It was a great call. I love Jon Miller.

ilsox7
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
It was a great call. I love Jon Miller.

Agreed. I generally enjoy Jon Miller's actual call of the game. It's when ESPN decides they are a Weekend Talk Show instead of a broadcast of a baseball game that they annoy me. Sadly, they are becoing almost exclusively a Talk Show on Sunday Night Baseball.

Cuck the Fubs
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Great call............loads of emotion!!!!

Way to start us off Jimmy!:D:

C-Dawg
04-03-2006, 12:39 PM
For example, in Game 2 of the LCS last year when he called Crede's double off the wall and his voice trailed, "Into the corner...........!"

That was Joe Buck.

Steelrod
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
The most biased national broadcaster ever. He must hate that we're WORLD CHAMPS! Enjoy it, Joe!

batmanZoSo
04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
I like Jon Miller. He's got a perfect broadcaster's voice, he's professional and he doesn't take himself that seriously. And he makes great calls, the Thomer-homer being a great ejemplo.

NonetheLoaiza
04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
That was Joe Buck.

I think he was referring to Miller doing the PBP for ESPN radio. IIRC, that was a pretty good call. Sure beat the crap out of Buck's sheer disappointment in that game.

LongLiveFisk
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM

:morgan
"Now you're learning!"

SOXSINCE'70
04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Could someone please tell Mr.Miller that the White Sox' 2nd baseman's
first name is TADAHITO,not TADA?? Also,the shortstop's last name
is pronounced YOU-REE-BAY,not OOH-REE-BAY!!

SOX WIN!!:bandance: :bandance:

The Racehorse
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Could someone please tell Mr.Miller that... the shortstop's last name is pronounced YOU-REE-BAY, not OOH-REE-BAY!

OOH-REE-BAY is better than hearing Lou Piniella during last October's playoffs pronouce it YOU-REE-BEE. :D:

0o0o0
04-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Agreed. I generally enjoy Jon Miller's actual call of the game. It's when ESPN decides they are a Weekend Talk Show instead of a broadcast of a baseball game that they annoy me. Sadly, they are becoing almost exclusively a Talk Show on Sunday Night Baseball.
:boston
"So what's wrong with that?"

NonetheLoaiza
04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Espn had this...

Pronounced: ohh-REE-bay

So who knows but Juan himself how you actually say it.

Corlose 15
04-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Espn had this...

Pronounced: ohh-REE-bay

So who knows but Juan himself how you actually say it.

Anyone who knows how to speak spanish. You pronounce U's like OO in spanish. Its OO-ribay, not YOU-ribay.

TheDarkGundam
04-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Could someone please tell Mr.Miller that the White Sox' 2nd baseman's
first name is TADAHITO,not TADA??

It's also not Taguchi.

-The whole inning of Bonds talk was really annoying and the discussion about whether or not the Sox are "world champs" or just "major league champs" was just awful.

TomBradley72
04-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Miller is one of the better announcers I've ever heard.

I agree....when I lived in SF...I'd listen to Giants games just to hear him call the game. I know alot of folks on this board don't like him....I think he's class act that really rises to the occasion during the big moments.

HotelWhiteSox
04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
It was a nice call, but I didn't like some of the other commentary in the game. The whole steroids thing, and I just thought they sounded rusty in general. I then switched to ESPN Radio, which is Dan Schulman and Dave Campbell, probably my favorite national crew

SectionBNole
04-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Not necessarily my favorite announcer, but that call was excellent. Hello Chicago!

ChiSoxIn06
04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
joe morgan is the worst announcer in baseball...did anyone catch the segment where miller was talking about the game and morgan out of nowhere announced some stupid thing about his daughters gymnastics team. it was like listening to two completely different broadcasts when those two are in the booth..but i dont mind miller at all...he actually seemed interested in the game unlike douchebag morgan.

michned
04-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Could someone please tell Mr.Miller that the White Sox' 2nd baseman's first name is TADAHITO,not TADA??
Also, he kept saying that Thome was injured all spring and only started to play about 10 days ago. But I'm sure that info was mistakenly passed along to him. Overall I like him, and I thought his radio call of the Astros tying single in the ninth in Game 2 was awesome.

cws05champ
04-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I was really hoping that Jeff Brantly was going to "announce" the game last night... :redneck

sox1970
04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
OOH-REE-BAY is better than hearing Lou Piniella during last October's playoffs pronouce it YOU-REE-BEE. :D:

The White Sox Media Guide says YOU-ree-bay. So John Miller should refer to page 156 to learn these things.

sox1970
04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
The White Sox Media Guide says YOU-ree-bay. So John Miller should refer to page 156 to learn these things.

And while I'm at it, I've always know this, but it's not Pod-SED-nick. It's Puh-SED-nick. The first D is silent, but you can call him Pods.

TornLabrum
04-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Ozzie (also Hispanic) says Oo-ree-bay. I would think Ozzie should know how to pronounce Spanish names.

cbotnyse
04-03-2006, 10:22 PM
And while I'm at it, I've always know this, but it's not Pod-SED-nick. It's Puh-SED-nick. The first D is silent, but you can call him Pods.

yeah was it Joe Buck last year in the series that kept calling him POD-sed-nick???.... he was really annoying me

21stcenturySox
04-04-2006, 02:28 AM
The White Sox Media Guide says YOU-ree-bay. So John Miller should refer to page 156 to learn these things. OOO-Ree-Bay. Jon Miller is fluent, and does some games in spanish.

aprenda un cierto espaņol