PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Miss Thomas & Rowand So Far?

WhiteSoxFan84
04-03-2006, 07:16 AM
I know, I know, it's only one game, but man, Jim Thome and Brian Anderson look GREAT!

Thome is on-pace to hit 162 HRs and drive in 324 runs! Brian Anderson is on pace to get 324 RBIs as well and collect 324 hits! ........ I'd put that in teal but it's true! :D:

Thome: 1/2, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 1 R, 0 K, 0 LOB
Anderson: 2/3, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 2 R, 1 K, 0 LOB

Keep it up fellas!

Deuce
04-03-2006, 07:43 AM
I'm a huge fan of Brian Anderson and have a great deal of respect for Jim Thome, but yes, I do miss Thomas and Rowand. I don't see how one game could change what years of watching these men play created. If they had retired, I would still miss them. I still miss Robin Ventura.

In my book, there is always enough admiration to share with former players. I wish only the best for the current Sox players, but I make sure to have a good deal of respect for those players that made me love this team in the first place. Frank Thomas was a huge part of that. Aaron Rowand built on that. They deserve their due.

Deuce

WhiteSoxFan84
04-03-2006, 07:46 AM
You took it in a different direction. I miss them both as well, as PEOPLE. Now as players, so far, no. I'm asking if you miss their productivity and/or if some of you still think trading Rowand was a bad idea.

Deuce
04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
You took it in a different direction. I miss them both as well, as PEOPLE. Now as players, so far, no. I'm asking if you miss their productivity and/or if some of you still think trading Rowand was a bad idea.Given your original post, I took it for what was written. As to your specific questions here, I'd say that nothing can be told from one game, either way. Hell, Thomas and Rowand haven't even played a game yet. How can you compare their performances? If Thomas and Rowand go 4 for 4 each, does that make the trade a mistake?

I don't mean to beat up on you here, but I just don't know how anyone could answer this question honestly. There simply isn't enough evidence to make a determination.

TomBradley72
04-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Thomas: Not at all. Appreciate all of his contributions over the years....but a LH slugger like Thome who's also a better guy in the clubhouse gives us a better chance for another ring.

Rowand: Yes. I'll always miss Aaron...hopefully he'll be back on the southside down the road. Brian Anderson looks very good....maybe Aaron comes back down the road as a corner OF when it's time for Jermaine or Pods to move on?

MsSoxVixen22
04-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Anderson looks good so far but I'm not completely "sold" on him yet. I will always miss Aaron. Thomas...not so much

soxfan13
04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Dont miss Thomas after the BOMB Thome hit last nite and he just missed one in the first. Frank who LOL

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Good starts by both Thome and Anderson. Very stoked about the Sox this morning, despite the twin beating of a very late game and daylight savings time. I wish Rowand and Thomas well in their new homes.

daveeym
04-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Good starts by both Thome and Anderson. Very stoked about the Sox this morning, despite the twin beating of a very late game and daylight savings time. I wish Rowand and Thomas well in their new homes. I was more impressed with Uribe and Dye. I think Dye's going to have a monster year. Opposing pitchers have to get through PK and Thome and when they do they'll seem to ease up and relax a bit for JD.

TaquitoElGoocho
04-03-2006, 09:43 AM
The way the crowd reacted to Thome last night during the intros and throughout, Frank Thomas seemed like an afterthought... I will always miss Rowand, but Anderson should be an interesting successor, offensively and personality-wise.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Do I miss Frank? Only in that I always hoped he would finish his career in a Sox uniform. However, Thome is the better player for this team's success.

Do I miss Rowand? Swinging over any low breaking ball and taking his "circle the wagons" approach to outfield defense and my very high opinion of Brian Anderson... no, don't miss Rowand one bit.

batmanZoSo
04-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I really don't think we'll miss either from a baseball standpoint. Thome's better than Thomas at this point and Anderson has more upside than his predecessor. Rowand is a fantastic guy and it probably hurts to lose him because of his hustle and all that--he set a great example in the clubhouse. But Anderson is cut from the same cloth. I think in time he could become a leader.

If healthy, Thome's still a major force in any lineup. If healthy, Anderson's at least as productive as Rowand.

JGarlandrules20
04-03-2006, 10:09 AM
That's mean. :(:

Yes, I DO miss Rowand and Thomas.

batmanZoSo
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
That's mean. :(:

You're mean. :mad:

Steelrod
04-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Will alway miss Aaron's heart. Frank who?

RallyBowl
04-03-2006, 10:18 AM
No.

Taliesinrk
04-03-2006, 10:47 AM
This will be the only post of mine in this thread b/c I really I'm dead from last night and I don't want to get into it...

HOWEVER, some people are lacking some serious respect for the man who kept the White Sox on the map for over a decade and a half. GMAB... for those who straight up say you don't miss Frank is ridiculous. What he did and gave for not only the team, but Chicago as well, far surpasses what any other player in franchise history has.

If it weren't for him in the late 90's, I don't think anyone would have heard of the White Sox at all around the country. Frank gave a lot of people the reason to love the Sox and introduced them to major league baseball. It's unfortunate that his accomplishments and work go disrespected by some here..

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 10:59 AM
You're mean. :mad:

Why, because he misses his favorite players?

I think getting Thome for Rowand and letting Frank go due to contract issues and Thome is a safer risk were the right decisions. I still wish both can somehow be on this team but unfortunately they can't. I also will miss "Hocus Pocus" El Duque, Vizcaino, Group 4 stars Timo, Harris and Blum and even Marte in varying degrees (just because all helped contribute in 2005) but Frank Thomas was the Chicago White Sox for a decade in a half and I hope the fans remember that when he returns to Chicago on Core of the Core night and give him a great standing ovation.

SoxFan76
04-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm sooooo tired of hearing about Rowand. He's a FANTASTIC man. He's a team player and just one hell of a person. But guess what: Rowand being traded was good for the team. Hell, he even admitted, and this isn't a direct quote, that I (Rowand) was traded for JIM THOME!!!

Not to mention Anderson is arguably the better player.

Andy T Clown
04-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I miss Terry Bevington and Jamie Navarro. :D:

Minnie Me
04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
This will be the only post of mine in this thread b/c I really I'm dead from last night and I don't want to get into it...

HOWEVER, some people are lacking some serious respect for the man who kept the White Sox on the map for over a decade and a half. GMAB... for those who straight up say you don't miss Frank is ridiculous. What he did and gave for not only the team, but Chicago as well, far surpasses what any other player in franchise history has.

If it weren't for him in the late 90's, I don't think anyone would have heard of the White Sox at all around the country. Frank gave a lot of people the reason to love the Sox and introduced them to major league baseball. It's unfortunate that his accomplishments and work go disrespected by some here..

Is Miss Thomas aka The Big Skirt?

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
You guys already know that I think Rowand sucked. :o:

Deebs14
04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
I miss Terry Bevington and Jamie Navarro. :D:

:kneeslap:

BackNBlack
04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Not seeing Frank Thomas anymore, I got use to that when he was on the DL all the time. Unfortunate yes, did we win it without him yes. Will we win it again without him yes.

I'm glad Rowand is gone gone too because my wife liked him, said he was good looking.:D:

Corlose 15
04-03-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm glad Rowand is gone gone too because my wife liked him, said he was good looking.:D:

I hope you give that bastard whats coming to him.:tongue:

palehozenychicty
04-03-2006, 12:08 PM
It's only one game, but they both looked good at the plate, which was the idea with their insertion into the lineup. Let's keep playing and watching. :D:

Beer Can Chicken
04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
It's only one game, but they both looked good at the plate, which was the idea with their insertion into the lineup. Let's keep playing and watching. :D:
Anderson looked great in the field too. He has quite the arm. I personally think Anderson is going to make all the people that were so fond of Rowand (I'm not one of them) forget about him.

gobears1987
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes I do. I think the team is better with Thome, but Frank will always be in the heart of every Sox fan. If you hate Frank, please find another team.

hawkjt
04-03-2006, 12:34 PM
the best sox hitter ever so of course I miss a Frank in his prime. I will always root for him as I hope the A's collapse.

Aaron will be in our hearts forever for last year but new season, new heros. Welcome Brian and Big Jim to the line-up. Keep it going.

TDog
04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Will alway miss Aaron's heart. Frank who?

That is exactly how I feel.

Aaron was a big part of the spirit of the 2005 team. But they traded him for Jim Thome.

As for Thomas, I missed him in 2004 and 2005. I don't miss having him on the DL. Now that he's more or less healthy, I would much rather have Thome/Konerko at the 1B/DH. I may feel nostalgic about Thomas, but his departure doesn't diminish the team.

A winning team doesn't miss having a guy hang around to get 500 home runs. That's so ... Dusty Baker.

lostletters
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
As far as personality: Rowand will be missed.

But I think this lineup is significantly better.

Anderson I think is a potential ROY candidate. He has a canon for an arm, plenty of speed, and certianly has power.

Thome is already proving to me he was worth the sacrafice. He is defining locked in.

I think the team is much better with these two. I look at our lineup, and I think just how scary it is. While Thome and Paule Konerko do not have great speed, we have speed and power throughout most of our lineup.

Basically, the team improved.

As far as the bullpen, I was anxious, but now I am less concerned. McCarthy was a great choice for a middle reliever and Thorton has actually been listening to Cooper, and there was significant improvement because of it.

Basically, I am confident the Sox will have a great season, and I do not miss anybody who left from last year.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
ĻRowand: Yes. I'll always miss Aaron...hopefully he'll be back on the southside down the road. Brian Anderson looks very good....maybe Aaron comes back down the road as a corner OF when it's time for Jermaine or Pods to move on?

Donīt think I would ever want to see Aaron Rowand as a corner outfielder with the Sox. He doesnīt have enough pop for RF...has an average to below average throwing arm for that position and makes diving catches out of the proverbial can of corn.

Assuming Anderson sticks and we always have a speed player in LF...ala Owens, Pods or Juan Pierre....RF has to be marked for Ryan Sweeney.

Thereīs a chance that Sweeney wonīt hit many more homers than Rowand, but Iīm thinking he will, with a much higher BA and higher OBP, and LESS strikeouts for sure. I also think Sweeney is more naturally fluid than Rowand and will end up being a well above average RF. Not Vladimir Guerrero, Larry Walker, Dwight Evans or Roberto Clemente...or even J Dye when he first came to the big leagues and had better mobility and more arm strength...but a VERY good RFer.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
While Thome and Paule Konerko do not have great speed, we have speed and power throughout most of our lineup.

Donīt forget Joe Crede, AJ and Dye from that list of speed-challenged.

In all seriousness, Iguchi, Uribe, Anderson and Ozuna can run very well for their positions. Cintron and Mackowiak are decent athletes as well.

And while some are still clamoring for a Pierre-Pods outfield, I like the combination of speed and power we can put out there right now.

I guess an OF of Chris Young, Pods-Owens and Anderson-Sweeney would be every scoutīs dream in terms of athletic ability, but thatīs not how you win ballgames.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Donīt forget Joe Crede, AJ and Dye from that list of speed-challenged.

In all seriousness, Iguchi, Uribe, Anderson and Ozuna can run very well for their positions. Cintron and Mackowiak are decent athletes as well.

And while some are still clamoring for a Pierre-Pods outfield, I like the combination of speed and power we can put out there right now.

I guess an OF of Chris Young, Pods-Owens and Anderson-Sweeney would be every scoutīs dream in terms of athletic ability, but thatīs not how you win ballgames.

Dye may not be all that fast, but he's an excellent baserunner.

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Anderson is growing on me quickly with his bat. But until I see him making web gems like Rowand I still miss Rowand.

As for good ole #35, Frank Thomas, The Big Hurt. I do miss him. I miss him coming off the bench in Gload's place. I've got nothing against Gload but he'll never be the Big Hurt.

As for the Thomas & Thome debate think of it this way. If Thomas can be counted on for 600 AB's in a season he's a favorite to win the MVP. Thome under the same premise is probably a favorite for top 5 behind Thomas. As to who will outperform the other I think it will all come down to who gets more AB's.

One thing is certain. Thomas will get an opportunity for more AB's with the A's then he ever could have dreamed of with the White Sox this year. And that's under the premise him & Kenny got along.

lostletters
04-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Dye is a great baserunner. He can swipe bags and he can motor when he has to be. Very tough guy to throw out, and he has definately has a height advantage. I would not call him a slouch speed wise, slightly above average speed.

Crede and AJ are not fast, that is for sure.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Anderson is growing on me quickly with his bat. But until I see him making web gems like Rowand I still miss Rowand.

As for good ole #35, Frank Thomas, The Big Hurt. I do miss him. I miss him coming off the bench in Gload's place. I've got nothing against Gload but he'll never be the Big Hurt.

As for the Thomas & Thome debate think of it this way. If Thomas can be counted on for 600 AB's in a season he's a favorite to win the MVP. Thome under the same premise is probably a favorite for top 5 behind Thomas. As to who will outperform the other I think it will all come down to who gets more AB's.

One thing is certain. Thomas will get an opportunity for more AB's with the A's then he ever could have dreamed of with the White Sox this year. And that's under the premise him & Kenny got along.

You probably won't see that many "web gems" from Anderson because he'll be making those catches standing up.

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
You probably won't see that many "web gems" from Anderson because he'll be making those catches standing up.

If he gets to them. I'm still doubtful he will. I didn't see him doing it in the spring. But I guess that's expected when the intensity is low. I'm holding my judgement until after the season. I'll give him plenty of time to learn the position at the major league level.

Dye has very long strides as a base runner. I guess you can call it deceptive speed. It took Dye just 5 steps to be 1/2 way to 2B before Cabrera delivered the pitch.

sox1970
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Rowand doubled in his first at bat with the Phillies.

Sxy Mofo
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
I'll always miss Frank as I wanted him to retire a Sox. He was the best player on the team for a decade. He says "white sox" to a lot of people. As far as what he would've brought to the team this year? No, not so much. Thome will be better.

I'll always miss Rowand. Kid has heart. If there's one thing I look for in any player over any physical characteristics in any sport, it's heart. But all we need is Brian to be solid, if unspectacular.

But the question, would you rather have Thome/Brian or Thomas/Row? you have to go with Thome/Brian.

TaylorStSox
04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
If he gets to them. I'm still doubtful he will. I didn't see him doing it in the spring. But I guess that's expected when the intensity is low. I'm holding my judgement until after the season. I'll give him plenty of time to learn the position at the major league level.

Dye has very long strides as a base runner. I guess you can call it deceptive speed. It took Dye just 5 steps to be 1/2 way to 2B before Cabrera delivered the pitch.

I have yet to see a CF who looks good in AZ.

MySoxAreClean
04-03-2006, 07:32 PM
No I do not mis Thomas, I even noticed the Took him out from the intro from former players on the field before they lead into The Startiing Lineup.

doublem23
04-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I miss Frank a lot. :(:

Rowand, not so much. I'm not glad he's gone, and I don't dislike him, I just never thought he was a very special player and I've seen plenty of guys like him with the Sox over the years. I hope he does well in Philly. I guess you could say I'm ambivalent to Aaron. He was a good gear in machine that was the '05 Sox, but as an individual player, he was above average at best, IMO.

It's gonna hurt the first time I see Frank in an A's uniform. :whiner:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
We ought to re-title this thread "What Have You Done For Me Lately?"

Never forget the championship these guys helped win for you. One game in and you've forgotten? Pathetic... truly pathetic...

:o:

TomBradley72
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM

As far as building a solid bench....I'll take Gload over Thomas on this particular WSox roster. LH stick, can play 1B/OF and help rest Paulie or be late inning defensive replacement and you don't need to pinch run for him once he gets on. Frank would basically be a RH pinch hitter and back up DH, offers no ability to help in the field...and if it's a close game in the late innings you have to pinch run for him if he hits anything but an HR. Frank as a bench player really clogs up a roster.

Taliesinrk
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM

Never forget the championship these guys helped win for you. One game in and you've forgotten? Pathetic... truly pathetic...

That's what I was trying to get at.. well put.

jabrch
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, I miss them both. But I sure like the looks of their replacements!

Frank was the greatest hitter this franchise ever had - but it really was time for him to go. In 2006, Thome will probably deliver much more for this team that Frank would have.

Aaron was a huge piece to 2005, and for that I'll always be a fan. But I like what BA looks like he can do.

It's possible both to miss them, and be thrilled to death with who is replacing them. We are a better club today than we'd be if we still had Frank and Aaron and didn't have Thome or BA starting.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Rowand yes. Thomas no. But that doesn't mean I regret any trade that took place.

sox647
04-03-2006, 08:03 PM

Yes, THANK YOU!

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey before it's all said & done we might really miss El Duque. Few men can come into that situation & shut down the opposition. That Boston performance was legendary.

Gload is not really needed on this team. Mak can play 1B & provides a better LH bat option. What the bench lacks is a strong RH power option. There are goo RH hitting options, but not power. Thomas would have filled that perfectly.

A lot is expected of the A's but if by chance they fall out of contention & Thomas is having a good year I would definitely not rule out the possibility the White Sox would deal for him if they find they need that RH power off the bench.

Now before you rule it out try to imagine the scenario. The A's fall out of contention, trade rumors surface surrounding Thomas, Frank gives Jerry a call pleading with him to trade for him, Jerry discusses it with Kenny, Kenny discusses it with Ozzie, & before you know it Frank is the new RH power bat off the bench for the White Sox.

It might seem far fetched but I have to say the Yankees look damn good right now.

Soxfest
04-04-2006, 02:02 AM
That was 2005.............time to move on and in 2006 I am happy with the new guys.:smile:

Bobbo35
04-04-2006, 07:28 AM
I will definately miss Frank Thomas, he is a household name with me. I have liked the fact that there is now no controversy surrounding him and he is on his way with the A's. Rowand was the definition of WhiteSox baseball and will be missed by me.