PDA

View Full Version : A widow smiles for the first time in months

Foultips
04-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I lost my husband back in December after he was killed in a freak accident on the Kennedy. The last 4 months have been hell as I have tried to pick up the pieces and deal with the memories that overwhelm me. Being a 40 year old widow wasn't the plan.

Last year we got season tickets and we finally had the money and the time and of course the year became magical. We never stopped believing. When I first met Mike back east he wasn't into baseball but when we returned to Chicago he fell in love with the old Comiskey and the fans as it reminded him of his beloved Manchester City team in English football.

So last night I returned to 35th St with a heavy heart and wondered if baseball would be stolen from me as well. I should have known better,

I can't begin to explain it but Mike was at the park last night. I could feel him. I *KNOW* he was there and that was before I got the shock of my life. Suddenly for a couple of seconds he was on the scoreboard. They must have shot us last summer acting goofy but what are the odds that the White Sox would put him on the clip? Mike figured out a way to send me a sign that he is OK.

I am not sure I ever would have dated Mike to begin with if it hadn't been for the White Sox. You see years ago I first saw him in a band at the greatest, dirtest rock bar that ever was, the late, lamented Rathskeller. His band played a great cover of "Runaround Sue". For a homesick Bridgeport gal it was the perfect song as it brought me back to 35th St and the wonderful summer of 1983.

Go Sox!!

Deuce
04-03-2006, 08:53 AM
We feel you, Foultips. Keep on keeping on and :welcome: to WSI!

soxgirl617
04-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Welcome to WSI, Foultips. My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your wonderful husband. Your post made me cry, but I'm so happy that you saw him last night! I hope that all of your future visits to Sox games bring you the same feeling of connection to your husband.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 10:11 AM
:welcome: Welcome to the WSI family!

Foultips
04-03-2006, 10:16 AM
:whiner: Thank you all. :smile:

Fenway
04-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Welcome foultips I choked up reading this, so sorry for your loss.

You must have met your husband in Boston as club you mention sure sounds like the infamous "Rat" in Kenmore Square. What a rathole but every great band played there at some point. I remember a Ramones gig that was mind blowing.

The Rat is now a luxury hotel as Kenmore Square has totally gone upscale.

Janet O'Donoghue and Patrick Noe first met at this Commonwealth Avenue spot 25 years ago, but back then it was the Rathskeller, and the only reason to come to Kenmore Square was, as she puts it, for ''late-night snacks and rock 'n' roll."
Instead of a beer-soaked stage, the room is now Eastern Standard, where the couple sits at the marble bar trading bites of duck rillettes and foie gras terrine as swinging jazz plays over the sound system. It's a world away from the Rat, and certainly no IHOP.

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/restaurants/articles/2005/06/18/kenmores_comeback/

TomBradley72
04-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Welcome to WSI Foultips...I think you'll find that this place offers a great sense of "family" and camaraderie. Just great people.

My condolences on your loss.

skobabe8
04-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Wow, what a story.

hawkjt
04-03-2006, 12:01 PM
that you got that chance to smile, even if only briefly.

God Bless, hang in there.

condolences to you and your family.

ondafarm
04-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Foultips,
my first wife died in 1989 at age 24, so in someway I understand your pain. I can barely recall the first few months after her death and to be honest, I moped around for a couple of years, really sharing my grief with everyone. It sounds like you've already put the worst part behind you. Even though my wife died more than 17 years ago, I still 'receive' occasional messages from her. Her parents still treat me very kindly and I still regard the 14 months we had together as the happiest of my life.
That being said, a few years after I had an epiphany that it was allowed to go on with my life. I know she is waiting somewhere for me, is okay, and that even though her life is over, she didn't want mine to be. After a few more years I managed to pick up the rest of my life, right my ship and have continued. Things have changed, . . . actually, I have changed. I actually re-learnt how to smile.
Welcome to WSI and go Sox !!!

DSpivack
04-03-2006, 12:34 PM
My condolences for your loss.

My father passed away last july--July 26th, three months to the day later, the White Sox won it all. I know he had a hand in heaven, and was smiling down on me.

LongLiveFisk
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
My sincerest condolences. Sometimes after someone so loved and close to you dies, you don't think you'll ever smile again. I'm glad the White Sox could put a smile on your face. :smile:

MarySwiss
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Deepest sympathy on your loss, and welcome to the WSI family.

:welcome:

Cuck the Fubs
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.....

Keep the faith

SpammySosa
04-03-2006, 04:55 PM
:welcome: I can't imagine what you have been through,but I want to wish you continued strength and comfort.And I admire you for the strength and courage you have already shown.Thanks for sharing your story,as I am know it has encouraged myself and others who have faced or will face tough times in their own lives.

dondosae1
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
What a wonderful story. So happy that last night could bring you some joy in what has been a trying time for you! Hang in there and welcome to this board.

TAKE CARE!!!

white sox bill
04-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Welcome aboard, and my deepest sympathies. Rest assured your husband is proud of you. There are not too many things more important than a Sox victory, but life is one of them.

Foultips
04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Again Thank You all for your kind messages.

It has been hard and I'm doing things people might consider crazy. For example I still pay Mike's cellphone bill simply to keep his voicemail message alive, and I do call it to leave messages. :whiner:

With the arrival of spring I hope things will get easier, I dunno there is no dummies book for widows so each day is an adventure.

To the poster who mentioned "The Rat", yes indeed it was the glorious dive in Kenmore Square that I met my husband. I knew that they had demolished the building but I am stunned at what that article said has replaced it.

HotelWhiteSox
04-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Wow, reading the first post gave me goosebumps. Very sorry for the loss, but great to hear the Sox could help give it a positive aspect.

I personally believe in signs like this, just like that story that was posted from Boston about the parents who lost their son and then were shocked when they saw a billboard promoting the Red Sox had a game picture from years ago where he was sitting with his friends.

soxfanatlanta
04-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I am deeply sorry for your loss, and I owe you thanks for giving me some perspective on what is truely important in life.

:welcome:

mrs. hendu
04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
It has been hard and I'm doing things people might consider crazy. For example I still pay Mike's cellphone bill simply to keep his voicemail message alive, and I do call it to leave messages. :whiner:

:(: I think I'm going to cry.
Hang in there Foultips. Glad to see the Sox brought a smile to your face again. How great that you were able to see a picture of your hubby last night.

TornLabrum
04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
I said last night in a thread that the ceremony and videos didn't bring a tear to my eye but did bring a lump to my throat. The tears in my eyes came when I read this. I'll repeat the "hang in there" sentiment. The passage of time is our best friend when we're grieving.

SportsPg
04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Welcome foultips I choked up reading this, so sorry for your loss.

You must have met your husband in Boston as club you mention sure sounds like the infamous "Rat" in Kenmore Square. What a rathole but every great band played there at some point. I remember a Ramones gig that was mind blowing.

The Rat is now a luxury hotel as Kenmore Square has totally gone upscale.

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/restaurants/articles/2005/06/18/kenmores_comeback/

My condolences Foultips, but I am also glad the Sox made you feel better. I also smiled at this post because 18 years ago I was a freshman at Boston University. My dorm was Myles Standish Hall, right on Kenmore Square...back when Kenmore Square was really Kenmore...I went to the Rat, Narcissus, Pizza Pad, Charlies, Captain Nemo's, Cornwalls when it was next to the Rat, not across the square as it is now....ahh the memories. Thanks for the post Foultips & go White Sox! :gulp: