PDA

View Full Version : Comcast CHOKES!

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Alright, yeah, we won - but I am totally put off by Comcast's LAME coverage of the opening ceremonies. First, the camerawork was shaky. Then, inexplicably, they mess-up showing the video montages in-between unveiling the AL and WS banners. What I did see of it - just the ALDS stuff - was AMAZING! When they cut away from the video and showed the first set of division banners unfurled, that brought shivers. From there, it appeared to be a classic f-up on a royal scale. I mean, they DID have 5 months to prepare to show a kick-a$$ ceremony?

It was just a damn shame all of Soxdom outside the park couldn't enjoy that tribute as those did inside. Just seeing cameras stuck on showing draped light towers was a total buzzkill. I certainly hope they decide to re-splice this so we all can enjoy what they meant to show.

peeonwrigley
04-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Agreed. I wondered what was up with just showing the banners instead of the montage.

Looks like either a lack of coordination between Comcast and the Sox or something went wrong with the jumbotron feed.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2006, 02:59 AM
I got really pissed during the player intros. I had to hear every word of Gene Honda's lackluster introduction of the Toons, waiting for him to say "And now, your 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox!" with that distinctive inflection of his.

Just when he's about to say it, moron Pat Boyle decides to pipe in with some nonsense (I think just reiterating that these were the player intros, as if we weren't watching), basically talking over Honda's first few lines!:angry:

ilsox7
04-03-2006, 03:01 AM
I got really pissed during the player intros. I had to hear every word of Gene Honda's lackluster introduction of the Toons, waiting for him to say "And now, your 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox!" with that distinctive inflection of his.

Just when he's about to say it, moron Pat Boyle decides to pipe in with some nonsense (I think just reiterating that these were the player intros, as if we weren't watching), basically talking over Honda's first few lines!:angry:

Did he actually say that? I thought he just said, "And now, your 2006 Chicago White Sox."

MUsoxfan
04-03-2006, 03:01 AM
I agree. It was amateur night in the director's chair. They found a way to bring down one of the great moments in Sox history

ilsox7
04-03-2006, 03:03 AM
I agree. It was amateur night in the director's chair. They found a way to bring down one of the great moments in Sox history

Comcast has always had great intentions, but generally fails in executing them. At least they actually had a working signal there tonight, unlike a certain night last fall.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-03-2006, 03:04 AM
Did he actually say that? I thought he just said, "And now, your 2006 Chicago White Sox."
He could have said, "And now, my great aunt Sally's going to take off her blouse," for all I know. Dumbass Boyle was blabbing over the whole thing.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2006, 03:11 AM
Make sure you e-mail Comcast Sports Chicago to let them know how you feel.

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/

Just look for the 'contact' tab towards the top to send them an e-mail.

Lip

skobabe8
04-03-2006, 03:39 AM
He could have said, "And now, my great aunt Sally's going to take off her blouse," for all I know. Dumbass Boyle was blabbing over the whole thing.

:rolling:

Dolly
04-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Did he actually say that? I thought he just said, "And now, your 2006 Chicago White Sox."Yes, I was there and that is what he said. I have to say I was a little disappointed.

Foulke You
04-03-2006, 04:19 AM
Comcast has always had great intentions, but generally fails in executing them. At least they actually had a working signal there tonight, unlike a certain night last fall.
Wow was I ever angry that night last year. Maybe Comcast's problems have to do with the Indians being in town or something.:D:

It's not just the Sox though. I heard they lost their Bulls feed about a month ago with 2 min remaining in a very close basketball game. Comcast needs to straighten their act out.

BeviBall!
04-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Are we surprised by this? Pat Boyle is 10 years away from being a Sam Donaldson look alike and hey, Kerry Sayers, quit talking over everything!!!

Madvora
04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
That camerawork sucked, especially that one camera that had a squeezed image on it. It looks like a wide screen image was squeezed down to fit in a 4:3 ratio. It was only on one camera's shot though.
I noticed that happened during the Comcast replays of the Fox World Series games too.

retro1983hat
04-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Terrible, absolutely terrible.
Comcast and the Sox issued press releases stating they would show all the pregame ceremonies including ALL video montages. Everyone who read that wanted to see the one they show before they introduce the players.

All we got was about 6 seconds of a recap montage and by showing that, missed the division champion banner unveiling.

Also, you couldn't hear the crowd cheer for each player as they were introduced. The organ music was so loud, you had no idea how loud the crowd was.

Comcast choked last night. Poor, poor, poor.

LongLiveFisk
04-03-2006, 09:44 AM

That's what pissed me off too. I was yelling, "SHUT UP, *******S, I WANT TO HEAR THIS!!"

But thanks to them for letting us hear the Indians intros. :rolleyes:

CRAW
04-03-2006, 09:48 AM
That camerawork sucked, especially that one camera that had a squeezed image on it. It looks like a wide screen image was squeezed down to fit in a 4:3 ratio. It was only on one camera's shot though.
I noticed that happened during the Comcast replays of the Fox World Series games too.

YES! That was driving me nuts as well. Stupid Comcast. :mad:

Fenway
04-03-2006, 10:22 AM

My company is a vendor for CSN and there is no other way to say this. The boss there goes back to the old Sportsvision days in Oak Park and is cheap.

The event screamed for a seperate production truck seperate from ESPN and they didn't want to spend the money. Corno you could have gotten the money back with DVD sales. It sounds like they relied on the White Sox in-house system they have for the Diamondvision.

I contrast CSN-Chicago with the mindset of Boston's NESN who always pays top dollar for everything they do and it shows in the final product.

twinsuck1
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Make sure you e-mail Comcast Sports Chicago to let them know how you feel.

http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/

Just look for the 'contact' tab towards the top to send them an e-mail.

Lip

Again, don't forget to e-mail these morons at comcast..

Fenway
04-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Again, don't forget to e-mail these morons at comcast..

It won't do any good as long as Jim Corno runs the place. Trust me he hears it from his own producers. He won't spend money.

scottjanssens
04-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I TiVo'ed the coverage and was appalled by it. Folks who didn't get to see it at the park missed out on a lot. The crowd mic was muted so tv viewers couldn't get a good sense of how loud and exuberant the crowed was. My TiVo switched channels to ESPN to record the game so I don't know if Comcast showed the crowed singing with Freddy Mercury as "We Are the Champions" played over the PA. The crowd was the atmosphere. Comcast missed that.

Steelrod
04-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm guessing that they have not had much experience broadcasting world championship banner unfurling!

RallyBowl
04-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Yeah, it sucked. My biggest beef was that you couldn't hear the crowd. I luuuuuv loud crowds.

Madvora
04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I TiVo'ed the coverage and was appalled by it. Folks who didn't get to see it at the park missed out on a lot. The crowd mic was muted so tv viewers couldn't get a good sense of how loud and exuberant the crowed was. My TiVo switched channels to ESPN to record the game so I don't know if Comcast showed the crowed singing with Freddy Mercury as "We Are the Champions" played over the PA. The crowd was the atmosphere. Comcast missed that.
Yeah I set my DVR to Comcast from 6-7, then at 7, I just deleted it.

Black Jack 29
04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
This all makes me look forward to how Comcast f---s up carrying the Ring Ceremony tomorrow.

FARMEO
04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
At least Comcast was able to boardcast in high definition. The picture from our national sports network was absolutely horrible. My only probelm with comcast was sometimes less is more, the broadcasters didn't need to talk about every detail, you could see what was happening.

nlentz88
04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I was quite upset by CSN's broadcast. Cheap and amateur. I spent the whole day looking forward to this ceremony and then got to stare a blank sheets for a couple of minutes while listening to classical music. Lame.

SoxEd
04-03-2006, 11:39 AM
As a viewer of the ESPN2 feed, I was heartily dis-chuffed when, as JT came up for his first at-bat as a Sox, rather than show him walking up to the plate and allowing us to hear the crowd welcoming him, they cut to Gammons in the Scout Seats (?) waffling away about some nonsense.
Meh!

Don't get me wrong here, I undertsand that Mr. Gammons is a Hall-of-Fame journo, and that 'it's really neat' that ESPN have him locked up for in-game comments, but the Director SHOULD have picked a better time to cut to him talking about steroids (iirc) than Thome's first at-bat.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars that they didn't cut to him when Thome knocked that ball into the stands, huh?

LongLiveFisk
04-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Don't get me wrong here, I undertsand that Mr. Gammons is a Hall-of-Fame journo, and that 'it's really neat' that ESPN have him locked up for in-game comments, but the Director SHOULD have picked a better time to cut to him talking about steroids (iirc) than Thome's first at-bat.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars that they didn't cut to him when Thome knocked that ball into the stands, huh?

Exactly. They had the whole game to show Gammons' mug, but only one shot to show Thome's first at-bat. Idiots!

house215
04-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I just sent Comcast an e-mail and I will probably call them later today too. I suggest every other Sox fan do the same. The whole pre-game show was pathetic but this is what we have come to expect from Comcast.

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
One can only imagine how they will foul up the ring ceremony tomorrow...

itsnotrequired
04-03-2006, 12:16 PM

I'm glad I'll be able to see it live and not have to pray for good coverage.:bandance:

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm glad I'll be able to see it live and not have to pray for good coverage.:bandance:

TRUE THAT!:supernana:

MarySwiss
04-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow.

I was really feeling sorry for myself last night because I didn't get to see the comcast thing, but I guess it wasn't such a loss after all.

oeo
04-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Wow.

I was really feeling sorry for myself last night because I didn't get to see the comcast thing, but I guess it wasn't such a loss after all.
Yeah, you didn't miss much at all. I think I would have rather watched "Barry Bonds Tonight" (courtesy of TheDarkGundam) than the crap they put together on Comcast.

I don't understand why their work is so amateur...they're in a very large market, shouldn't they be able to get skilled professionals to do a better job? Or does Comcast regulate all this stuff?

buehrle4cy05
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM

:)

I love my season tickets.

Rooney4Prez56
04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
The terrible sound, shaky camerawork, and lack of montage feed led to one steaming pile of crap. I couldn't believe how badly Comcast messed up their one chance to shine with the greatest Opening Night in years. I am going to write a nasty letter to Comcast.

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 01:18 PM
TRUE THAT!:supernana:

Thanks to you Mike, I echo that! :supernana::supernana:

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 01:19 PM
The terrible sound, shaky camerawork, and lack of montage feed led to one steaming pile of crap. I couldn't believe how badly Comcast messed up their one chance to shine with the greatest Opening Night in years. I am going to write a nasty letter to Comcast.
Can't believe we just lowered the standard for all things considered a "steaming pile of crap".

It truly was. Nobody missed anything.

Madvora
04-03-2006, 01:23 PM
As a viewer of the ESPN2 feed, I was heartily dis-chuffed when, as JT came up for his first at-bat as a Sox, rather than show him walking up to the plate and allowing us to hear the crowd welcoming him, they cut to Gammons in the Scout Seats (?) waffling away about some nonsense.
Meh!

I know what you're talking about. Let me see Thome's first at bat, not Gammons. Come on! Man, I was pissed. Didn't they have any idea what was going on?

Dick Allen
04-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Terrible, absolutely terrible.
Comcast and the Sox issued press releases stating they would show all the pregame ceremonies including ALL video montages. Everyone who read that wanted to see the one they show before they introduce the players.

All we got was about 6 seconds of a recap montage and by showing that, missed the division champion banner unveiling.

Also, you couldn't hear the crowd cheer for each player as they were introduced. The organ music was so loud, you had no idea how loud the crowd was.

Comcast choked last night. Poor, poor, poor.Yeah, I mentioned this on another thread. The organ music was very intrusive and basically ruined the Sox player introductions for me.

gosox3072
04-03-2006, 02:07 PM
I dont think ill ever complain about coverage of the unvailing of a World Championship banner for the White Sox. No matter how crappy it was!:smile:

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
REDEMPTION!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bzaKSAJSaL0 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bzaKSAJSaL0)

MASSIVE kudos to OzzyTrain for this great work!!! :bandance:

southsidesoxfan1
04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, what was that all about. It was one camera during the player introductions. One angle it was normal, then it was midget vision. That looked bad, and it didn't suprise me that the screwed the whole banner ceremony. Hopefully they do a better job with the rings.

gf2020
04-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Did anybody catch how the Score performed opening night? I wasn't listening and am curious if Singleton took off the training wheels.

Madvora
04-03-2006, 02:52 PM
People, I sent an email to Comcast with a link to this thread so feel free to tell them what you think.
I mentioned that their coverage last night is being heavily criticized and I thought they would like to know what the viewers thought.

TheDarkGundam
04-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah, you didn't miss much at all. I think I would have rather watched "Barry Bonds Tonight" (courtesy of TheDarkGundam) than the crap they put together on Comcast.

I don't understand why their work is so amateur...they're in a very large market, shouldn't they be able to get skilled professionals to do a better job? Or does Comcast regulate all this stuff?
Barry Bonds Tonight (BBTN, for those who weren't in chat). I do what I can. :D:
I didn't think CSN's stuff was that bad. I really would've liked to hear the crowd though. I thought it was weird that they were just showing the tarp covering the banner for like, 5 minutes. Still, seeing CSN screw up showing the ceremony is still 100 times better than not seeing the ceremony, IMO.
At least i'll be at the ring ceremony tomorrow. That will be cool.

mike squires
04-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I agree with most posts in this thread. I took the day off just so I could see this baby and was really looking forward to the reaction of the crowd and the montage. Instead we had to watach a white sheet and watch some players stretch. I was dissapointed in the coverage.

house215
04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I just called them and said I wanted to make a complaint and they put me to some guy's voicemail. I left him a long message on how I felt. I suggest everyone call and do the same. Here is the number: 312-222-6000

thomas35forever
04-03-2006, 04:50 PM
I was very disappointed with the way Comcast handled the ceremonies. I thought something was wrong with the unveiling because I kept seeing a white sheet.

I taped the last inning of Game 4 last year when it was originally broadcast on FOX, but I accidentally taped over it the next day when I taped the team coming home. I was lucky to have the holiday celebration thing on Comcast, but the Scores on the 4s thing came up during the bottom of the innning, so I have that on video forever. I also noticed that they lost the feed during the montage they played at the parade, and they didn't do a good job recovering. I'm almost afraid to tape the ring ceremony tomorrow.

LuvSox
04-03-2006, 05:35 PM
CSN is like WGN news. When no one else will hire you, get a job there.

That coverage blew last night, I was soooo pissed! :angry:

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
I was beating myself up after missing the coverage, but I guess there wasn't anything that I missed because CSN managed to screw it up. Thanks for the link to the video.

DannyCaterFan
04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
I was at the game, but like many fans Tivo'd the ceremony. When I got home and watched Comcast's coverage, I was really disappointed. It looked like all they did was pick up the in house feed from the White Sox cameras. All they used was in-house audio from Gene Honda and pictures that are used in the park. Not showing the vidoe montage was awlful. Comcast should have spent the money and sent their own crew.

Fenway
04-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I was at the game, but like many fans Tivo'd the ceremony. When I got home and watched Comcast's coverage, I was really disappointed. It looked like all they did was pick up the in house feed from the White Sox cameras. All they used was in-house audio from Gene Honda and pictures that are used in the park. Not showing the vidoe montage was awlful. Comcast should have spent the money and sent their own crew.

See my earlier posts. As long as that manager is in charge nothing will change in Chicago. JR and Peter Wirtz love the guy and when Comcast took over they had to take him as well.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM

There's one way to avoid that.

drftnaway
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
REDEMPTION!!!

WOWWEEEE!

Thanks IronFisk! That was GREAT!

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 09:02 PM
WOWWEEEE!

Thanks IronFisk! That was GREAT!

Hey, back to OzzyTrain my friend - HE'S da man!!! I really like the "feel" of being in the stands too!

I wonder who else out there has "pirate" material. Thanks to Comsuck, we need to splice together bootleg tapes to relive this moment. PATHETIC!!!

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
So did anybody who wrote to Comcast get a responce yet. I posted a comment on Scott Reiferts blog on whitesox.com.

flo-B-flo
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
REDEMPTION!!!

The ****in Journey music drowned out the under amplified crowd on comcast. This is GREAT!! A Huge Thanks.

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
So did anybody who wrote to Comcast get a responce yet. I posted a comment on Scott Reiferts blog on whitesox.com.

I intend to write an "open letter" to Brooks tonight. This frosts my a$$!

I want Mags back
04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
i watched my recording a few hrs ago to see what happened. man that sucked ass.

flo-B-flo
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
CSN is like WGN news. When no one else will hire you, get a job there.

That coverage blew last night, I was soooo pissed! :angry: For more than a second I thought it WAS wgn.

flo-B-flo
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
i watched my recording a few hrs ago to see what happened. man that sucked ass. Mine? The crowd almost silent while don't stop believng is playing over and over

Baines
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
In case Comcast does read this thread:

1. Don't have the mike feed from Gene Honda; let his voice reverberate like it would at the stadium. Let us hear the crowd noise. Let us feel what it's like to be at the stadium, not what it's like to be sitting next to Gene Honda. Big time screw-up.

2. Don't have your anchors talk over the PA Announcer. People who are just tuning in can figure it out for themselves. We can't hear the PA guy. We can't hear the anchor. We hear the babble of both and can't make out either. Anchors - when in doubt, keep your mouth shut.

3. Take the time to coordinate ahead of time with the White Sox to know when exactly the sheets are going to drop. You are professionals. You should know well ahead of time when to switch from the video to the live shot of the banner unveiling. This was the mistake that put the viewers over the edge. We liked the montage, were upset when we missed the first unveiling, and then were furious by the time we watched white sheets for about 60 seconds each, missing the rest of the montage. This was inexcusable.

4. Show a few seconds of each coach and player leaving the dugout and running to the third base line. Don't follow one player/coach through the handshake line and miss the next guy. Never ever, ever skip Harold Baines. One of the most favored players in Sox history got ignored.

I was extremely disappointed at Comcast's coverage.