PDA

View Full Version : Nancy's absence/music situation

nug0hs
04-03-2006, 12:30 AM
It sounds like we will be using a large amount of recorded sound clips of Nancy on the organ. I have heard a few instances where she would normally be playing some type of diddy on her organ in between batters, etc. that have been replaced with music sound clips, but I definitely just heard a recording of her on the organ for the 7th inning stretch. Can anyone in attendance tonight fill us in further about what they heard?

Timmy D's
04-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Heard "walk like a man", and "walk like an egyptian" a few times before we left on recorded music. I was only there till the delay, but I must say she was definately missed. As a matter a fact my oldest boy said "Nancy must of called in sick", as he noticed her absence by the end of the 1st. :(: So I guess we'll have to just get used to music clips for the night games.

mike squires
04-03-2006, 12:48 AM
It sure sounded like Nancy was playing during the intro. "Don't stop Believing." I also heard her organ while Kenny was being interviewed before the game. Was all that prerecorded?

I'll miss Na Na Na during those pitching changes. :(

skobabe8
04-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Let me confuse the situation by saying that Nancy was in her booth during the 7th inning stretch, but she wasnt playing. :?: She was swaying her arms back and forth virtually the whole song, so obviously they werent in contact with the keys.

Dolly
04-03-2006, 03:25 AM
I know she was playing before the game and for the 1st inning, but I definitely missed her for the pitching change in the 3rd. I figured she was probably in the bathroom or something. :dunno:

DaBears
04-03-2006, 03:28 AM
How can we not play Sha Na Na Na???? I dont care if its Nancy or my 2 year old cousin. I've gotta hear that song. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved hearing that at Sox games:whiner:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 04:31 AM
Let me confuse the situation by saying that Nancy was in her booth during the 7th inning stretch, but she wasnt playing. :?: She was swaying her arms back and forth virtually the whole song, so obviously they werent in contact with the keys.

What is the deal with that. Unless the organ was broken, why wouldn't she played. Being in the Upper Deck, I assumed she left during the rain delay.

I knew Take Me Out To The Ballgame was a tape. They did not play Kiss Him Goodbye for Indian pitching changes after the delay.

I hope there is some clarification in the media. I am going to be downstairs on Tuesday and try to talk to Nancy - hopefully she will be there.

A sad day in White Sox history (Nancy unplugged). :(:

The game and pregame was great otherwise. :D:

I give the night a :smile: .

gobears1987
04-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I know she was playing before the game and for the 1st inning, but I definitely missed her for the pitching change in the 3rd. I figured she was probably in the bathroom or something. :dunno:She didn't play then because it was an injury. Nancy never does it for that as it would be pretty classless.

soxinem1
04-03-2006, 07:26 AM
All I know is that the 'Don't Stop Believin' intro sucked on TV. It sounded recorded because the same part went off tempo about 12 verses in a row.

illini81887
04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
I know she was playing before the game and for the 1st inning, but I definitely missed her for the pitching change in the 3rd. I figured she was probably in the bathroom or something. :dunno:
I dont think they would play the song when someone is hurt

Dolly
04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
I dont think they would play the song when someone is hurt
Oh, right... oops... :redface:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
She didn't play then because it was an injury. Nancy never does it for that as it would be pretty classless.

I agree but it wasn't played when Graves, Cabrera, Miller or Sauerbeck were pulled (either live or on tape).

Was there any accounts in the press about the report here that Nancy was in the organ booth but the White Sox played a tape of Take Me Out To the Ballgame while she waived to the crowd? That doesn't make sense and I hope she is able to play live all game when she is at the park.

DaBears
04-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I agree but it wasn't played when Graves, Cabrera, Miller or Sauerbeck were pulled (either live or on tape).

Was there any accounts in the press about the report here that Nancy was in the organ booth but the White Sox played a tape of Take Me Out To the Ballgame while she waived to the crowd? That doesn't make sense and I hope she is able to play live all game when she is at the park.

The song was not played for ANY PITCHING CHANGES, as noted above. I saw her in her booth for the 7th inning stretch and she was swaying her arms. I thought it was a fraud?! But I am pretty sure it was Nancy. I plan on stopping by on Tuesday as I dont go to many day games, and don't know when Ill be able to see her again??:(:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 11:32 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68676

Per Hanger, she wasn't there at all. :(:

nug0hs
04-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah...people said she stopped doing night games because she was sick of being out so late...so why would she stick around until midnight for a rain delay on the first night of the season?

Dick Allen
04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Did anyone who was watching the player introductions on TV get annoyed by the (recorded?) organ music? I thought it was really intrusive, almost drowning out Gene Honda. Maybe it was just location of speakers, I don't know.

Max Power
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM

I couldn't believe it wasn't played for those pitching changes. I assume they have a tape of it to play if Nancy isn't there. That was the ONE thing missing from last night.

I want Mags back
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
i gonna assume she left during the delay. was their for the intro. the 7th was a recording, along with Jsh Kellys god bless america, definately recorded during the delay, so he could head out.

TheDarkGundam
04-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't know. I don't think it's right for anyone but Nancy to play Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye (and that includes recordings).
But, if Nancy's not there (and when she ultimately retires) I don't want the tradition to die. Maybe if Nancy's not there, they could flash the words on screen or something.
It's like when Lynard Skynard performs Freebird live, they just do it acoustic after the lead singer died and have the audience sing it.

Ol' No. 2
04-03-2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68676

Per Hanger, she wasn't there at all. :(:Maybe she wasn't in her booth during the rain delay. Not much reason for her to stay there for 3 hrs while they're playing a video on the scoreboard. But either she was there during the 7th inning stretch or she has an identical twin.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know. I don't think it's right for anyone but Nancy to play Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye (and that includes recordings).
But, if Nancy's not there (and when she ultimately retires) I don't want the tradition to die. Maybe if Nancy's not there, they could flash the words on screen or something.
It's like when Lynard Skynard performs Freebird live, they just do it acoustic after the lead singer died and have the audience sing it.

So bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee
but the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singing this will be the day that I die

:whiner:

Screw Club US Cellular. http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/posters/gif/roxbury.jpg

We wan't nothing but

:nancy

Ol' No. 2
04-03-2006, 04:51 PM
So bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee
but the levee was dry
And them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye
Singing this will be the day that I die

:whiner:

Screw Club Comiskey. http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/posters/gif/roxbury.jpg

We wan't nothing but

:nancyAs much as we'll miss her, I can understand if she wants to start cutting back. She's done it for a long time. Maybe she wants to start spending more time doing other things. But I just can't help but think that the decision is at least partly because she feels the team doesn't appreciate what she does. That would truly suck.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 04:58 PM
As much as we'll miss her, I can understand if she wants to start cutting back. She's done it for a long time. Maybe she wants to start spending more time doing other things. But I just can't help but think that the decision is at least partly because she feels the team doesn't appreciate what she does. That would truly suck.

I agree and understand and support her decision to cut back dates since that is what she said she wants (though not the club's decision not to have a "apprentice" handpicked by Nancy to take over for night games).

There is nothing sadder than Nancy sitting in her booth on Opening Day yet not playing after the rain delay and I wonder why she wasn't allowed to play while she was at the park.

I saw nothing about this in either online newspaper. I expect the Tribune to report something on this first if only to make the White Sox look bad (since they can't do this on the diamond - beggars can't be choosers). We might see something in tomorrow's newspaper since the game ran so late and I am sure many were filing in stories (outside of the game box score / recap) well before the rain ended.

TornLabrum
04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Nothing like rumors flying all over the place....

I can tell you what I know about something from a couple of days before the game. Nancy's last email to me said that there were 4 keys on the organ in the booth that weren't working, but that they were supposed to be fixed by Friday. My guess: They weren't.

However, I won't give this as a definitive answer, and I've emailed her to find out what was wrong. I'll report if and when I hear from her.

Brian26
04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
This is very bizarre. I got in around 5:05pm and went immediately to my seat. I distinctly heard Nancy playing during batting practice. I'm 100% sure was there at some point yesterday.

Fenway
04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
In a related development the Phillies organist was "retired" this year as well

So when the Phillies moved out of Veterans Stadium two years ago, they scrapped the organ booth. Instead of a prime spot down the first-base line in the new park, he was relegated to the concourse, playing only about an hour before the game. No longer plugged into the PA system, his audience had dwindled from the thousands in the seats to the few who happened to stroll by. He couldn't even see the field anymore.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/02/20/phillies_organist_retires_after_35_years/

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Nothing like rumors flying all over the place....

I can tell you what I know about something from a couple of days before the game. Nancy's last email to me said that there were 4 keys on the organ in the booth that weren't working, but that they were supposed to be fixed by Friday. My guess: They weren't.

However, I won't give this as a definitive answer, and I've emailed her to find out what was wrong. I'll report if and when I hear from her.She was playing during the intro and she did play some of her signature material when Indians players came to bat. Maybe the organ was working at the beginning then quit on her. :dunno:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-04-2006, 10:49 AM
In a related development the Phillies organist was "retired" this year as well

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/02/20/phillies_organist_retires_after_35_years/

"It's kind of difficult when you're a musician and you're cut back to barely playing," she says. "It does take a toll on the ego."

Two other teams recently let their organists go (Atlanta and Anaheim).

chisoxfanatic
04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
This is very bizarre. I got in around 5:05pm and went immediately to my seat. I distinctly heard Nancy playing during batting practice. I'm 100% sure was there at some point yesterday.

She was in the booth after the rain delay. I can confirm this.

Thome's Homey
04-04-2006, 11:03 AM
"It's kind of difficult when you're a musician and you're cut back to barely playing," she says. "It does take a toll on the ego."

Two other teams recently let their organists go (Atlanta and Anaheim).

Why bring that up and make the text so big? It has nothing to do with our situation. The Dodgers organist who said it is being scaled back by recorded music. That hasn't been the case with Nancy.

Frontman
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Now, I haven't been to the park much since it the new one opened to say either way, but could it been a case of safety? With the organ being electric, and the severe weather that went on Sunday night, could it been a case of not wanting her playing live in case the weather blew back up?

Just thinkin'.

Front

irish rover
04-04-2006, 01:48 PM
she's in a glass enclosed area

DaBears
04-04-2006, 05:31 PM

But if you go up and wait she is more than willing to tlak about ANYTHING!! Nancy was/IS the BOMB!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
04-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Why bring that up and make the text so big? It has nothing to do with our situation. The Dodgers organist who said it is being scaled back by recorded music. That hasn't been the case with Nancy.

Well I guess you don't go to many Sox games at least at the new park.

We went from Nothing But Nancy at the old park to 27 1/3 games with about an 60% can music / 40% Nancy mix. 81 games to approximately 11 full games (1/3 of the season * 2/5 of a ballgame * 81 games = 10.8 games) of Nancy (throw in an extra 60% of a game if they have another Nothing But Nancy Day). The quote is applicable (IMO).

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/img/review/981016/roxbury.jpg

"This Sox game is awesome - all club mix / all the time"

Glad to hear Nancy today!!!

Frontman
04-04-2006, 10:05 PM

I know that, m'man. I just never have been to a game that got rained out with such a heavy downpour and lightning (or at least we had lightning out here in Orland Park.) So, I guess my question is that have they "cut off" Nancy in the past when there has been lightning, as sitting in front of an electric organ which is connected to the soundsystem that runs completely around the stadium?

Front

Ol' No. 2
04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I know that, m'man. I just never have been to a game that got rained out with such a heavy downpour and lightning (or at least we had lightning out here in Orland Park.) So, I guess my question is that have they "cut off" Nancy in the past when there has been lightning, as sitting in front of an electric organ which is connected to the soundsystem that runs completely around the stadium?

FrontEven if that made any sense, there's be no point in "cutting her off" after the storm had passed, would there?

Dolly
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I talked to her at the game today and she told me that the organ was broken on opening night.

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I talked to her at the game today and she told me that the organ was broken on opening night.

Hangar conspiracy in 3, 2....

TornLabrum
04-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Here is a little more detail from Nancy:

"Yes, I didnt play after the second inning cause the organ broke down. We tried frantically to figure out the problem but couldn't.

"It was so frustrating not to play during the delay as it's an opportunity to complete a song but I stayed past the 7th inning and just sat in the booth and talked to fans. Then last night Joe brought a B-3 Hammond to the park and this morning before the game the wizard sound guy miked it to the park. It wouldnt fit in the booth the same as the old organ and took a little getting used to but is a pretty good temporary fix."

So, Hangar (and others), relax. It was a mechanical malfunction.

MrRoboto83
04-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Here is a little more detail from Nancy:

"Yes, I didnt play after the second inning cause the organ broke down. We tried frantically to figure out the problem but couldn't.

"It was so frustrating not to play during the delay as it's an opportunity to complete a song but I stayed past the 7th inning and just sat in the booth and talked to fans. Then last night Joe brought a B-3 Hammond to the park and this morning before the game the wizard sound guy miked it to the park. It wouldnt fit in the booth the same as the old organ and took a little getting used to but is a pretty good temporary fix."

Nancy sounded great today. I missed Gene Honda today though.

Dolly
04-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Nancy sounded great today. I missed Gene Honda today though.I did too, but it made me appreciate him that much more.

MrRoboto83
04-05-2006, 12:21 AM
I did too, but it made me appreciate him that much more.

The Sox can NEVER let Gene Honda go. With Rooney gone, and Nancy in limited duties, I can not take any more blows.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-05-2006, 12:47 AM

I qualified my post to that possibility (in broken English (after several hours at Comiskey):

What is the deal with that. Unless the organ was broken, why wouldn't she played.

Glad to hear her today and tomorrow we should get Honda back as well. :supernana: :supernana:

nug0hs
04-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Upper management should recruit Frank Pellico to fill in on the off nights!

RadioheadRocks
04-05-2006, 07:54 PM
One thing that made my night was hearing Midnight At The Oasis by Maria Muldaur shortly after the witching hour. :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Ishmookie
04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
so thats why the organ sounded different yesterday. i was wondering what happened because i thought i could hear a difference between the organ on sunday and on monday. is the old organ coming back or is the organ that was put in to replace the broken one permanent?

TornLabrum
04-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if the old organ is dead or if it will be coming back. Nancy did call the B-3 a temporary solution, though.

Cat Thief
04-05-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure if the old organ is dead or if it will be coming back. Nancy did call the B-3 a temporary solution, though.

Thanks for the update!