PDA

View Full Version : Why We Need 6th Starter

chitown13
04-03-2006, 01:03 AM
This is just a classic example of a team that has someone to turn to, and a team that doesn't. B-M-A-C looks pretty good! GO SOX!

Ekwall
04-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Amen. BMac is looking very solid. I don't know if he'll be happy just being on the roster for rain delays/injury duty, but it's damn good for the team to have someone like that, and I could easily see him earning a spot in the rotation if any of the top five have a down year. And the Tribe's middle relievers look terrible. LET'S GO GO GO WHITE SOX!

ilsox7
04-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Amen. Fingernails on a blackboard is looking very solid. I don't know if he'll be happy just being on the roster for rain delays/injury duty, but it's damn good for the team to have someone like that, and I could easily see him earning a spot in the rotation if any of the top five have a down year. And the Tribe's middle relievers look terrible. LET'S GO GO GO WHITE SOX!

:?:

He's not on the roster for rain delays and injury duty. Many great starters spent a year in the bullpen. It lets him get some regular work in, get used to pitching to MLB players, and work on his pitches all at the same time. Not to mention he's the best insurance policy around.

soxfanreggie
04-03-2006, 01:30 AM
When B.M.a.c.'s actually nickname is B.M.a.c (I know his family quite well and have asked him this), why do people get upset? It's like someone calling me James and getting upset if others call me Jim. Get over it-he's B.M.a.c.

Who was the one who chose to put that fingernails thing on there? Honestly...he has a nickname, so be it!

gobears1987
04-03-2006, 01:48 AM
we can type BMac now err I mean crap

DMarte708
04-03-2006, 03:05 AM
B-M-A-C pitched well last night. Honestly, it was the best he's looked this entire year. His breaking ball was snapping, changeup fooling hitters (esp. Martinez), and fastball popping. Quite a nice insurance to have in the back of the bullpen.

DaleJRFan
04-03-2006, 04:00 AM
I had the fortune of going to the game and I waited out the delay. McCarthy absolutely OWNED the stike zone and his off-speed stuff was unhittable. And guess what, tired players or not, rain-soaked uniforms or not, Matt Thorton looked really good, too...

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I know some of you are thinking keep in in the pen next year too but that's just not realistic. Brandon is a #4 starter on most teams right now. He would be #2 behind Zambrano on the Cubs. It's a near certainty he will be the 5th starter for the White Sox next year. You can trade the weakest of the RH starters we have now for a proven relief pitcher, prospects, &/or a decent bat.

Jon & Mark are 3 yrs younger than Freddy & Javier. Freddy & Javier are anywhere between 5 & 10 yrs younger than Contreras (listed birth date 71). If it's a close competition between Freddy, Javier, & Contra I think Contra is still gone.

What Contra gave the White Sox was a power presence in the rotation. He had the best K/IP & they say the K has the strongest impact on the mental game of a hitter. If Vazquez becomes consistent under Cooper there's no need for Contra. I think Cooper will make that happen & Contra will be dealt to make room for McCarthy.

TDog
04-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I know some of you are thinking keep in in the pen next year too but that's just not realistic. ...

Thinking about next year? What happens this year will have a lot to do with what happens next year. In 2000, someone who is well informed told me the Sox would probably deal Konerko after the season, despite his popularity, because he would probably only play another five years. It didn't work out that way.

Stuff happens, good and bad. I didn't expect Tom Seaver to be the only decent Sox starter in 1984. (Not even George Orwell saw that one coming.) I didn't expect Brandon McCarthy to get the Sox win on opening day in 2006. But when I heard the opener was being delayed by more than two hours with the score tied, I knew, without being able to see the game, that the Sox had the edge.

Right now I'm thinking about this year.

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
I understand what you're saying but you're also assuming there's no Brandon waiting in the wings for the 6th starter role in 2007. I don't think that's true at all.