PDA

View Full Version : Hey Vic


Daver
01-18-2002, 06:36 PM
Any idea why the Phillies got rid of Tom Jacquez?

Arm problems?

Vsahajpal
01-18-2002, 06:39 PM
I couldn't tell you,daver. I don't know much about him. The Phillies left one of their best prospects, Miguel Ascensio, unprotected in the Rule V draft, which was odd. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing.

czalgosz
01-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Well, at the very least the Sox will have a lot of left-handers to choose from - we won't be stuck with Embree or Pulsipher again...

Although this does probably mean that Ken Vining once again will not be given a shot at the big-league level. He's always put up great numbers in the minors, but again, I've never seen him pitch. Has anyone here seen Ken Vining pitch? Is he a prospect or not?

Jerry_Manuel
01-18-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Although this does probably mean that Ken Vining once again will not be given a shot at the big-league level. He's always put up great numbers in the minors, but again, I've never seen him pitch. Has anyone here seen Ken Vining pitch? Is he a prospect or not?

Yes, last year. Manuel never used him, he would pitch one time in a week, then you wouldn't see him till the next homestand. It was really weird.

Soxheads
01-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I don't remember him doing too well, either.

kermittheefrog
01-19-2002, 02:44 AM
The Phillies let go of Jacquez because he's a space filler and they have prospects to be promoted. This is a guy who got his head handed to him as a starter in A ball. He was turned into a reliever where he's been adequate. He's also 26 and was in AAA last year. That's 3 or 4 years older than a prospect should be. He's not a prospect, that's why he was let go.

Daver
01-19-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
The Phillies let go of Jacquez because he's a space filler and they have prospects to be promoted. This is a guy who got his head handed to him as a starter in A ball. He was turned into a reliever where he's been adequate. He's also 26 and was in AAA last year. That's 3 or 4 years older than a prospect should be. He's not a prospect, that's why he was let go.

Thanx Kermit.

CHISOX10
01-19-2002, 03:12 PM
You're right about Vining not getting an opportunity. I'm glad to hear that someone else agrees with what I observed. I personally watched Vining pitch all last season. His curve ball is looked pretty heavy and he consistently threw 89-90. Has a pretty good slider and throws a decent change-up as well. Four pitches for a reliever....pretty outstanding. His short 6 weeks in the big leagues proved that the Sox haven't a clue at times. How do they expect a pitcher to throw effectively and when his schedule is as follows:
Debut: 5/23.01
sits
5/29
sits 4 days
6/3
sits sits 2 days
6/6
sits 8 days
6/15
6/16
sits 14 DAYS
7/1
sits
7/5
sent down to AAA

Hell the guy is not a ROBOT....he simply hasn't been given a shot and I think in the long run the Sox will be sorry.

1.96ERA in AAA, last year named to the AFL Prospect list after posting a 0.96 ERA, and has remained healthy after having Tommy John in '99. Someone needs to wake up!

RichH55
01-20-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by CHISOX10
You're right about Vining not getting an opportunity. I'm glad to hear that someone else agrees with what I observed. I personally watched Vining pitch all last season. His curve ball is looked pretty heavy and he consistently threw 89-90. Has a pretty good slider and throws a decent change-up as well. Four pitches for a reliever....pretty outstanding. His short 6 weeks in the big leagues proved that the Sox haven't a clue at times. How do they expect a pitcher to throw effectively and when his schedule is as follows:
Debut: 5/23.01
sits
5/29
sits 4 days
6/3
sits sits 2 days
6/6
sits 8 days
6/15
6/16
sits 14 DAYS
7/1
sits
7/5
sent down to AAA

Hell the guy is not a ROBOT....he simply hasn't been given a shot and I think in the long run the Sox will be sorry.

1.96ERA in AAA, last year named to the AFL Prospect list after posting a 0.96 ERA, and has remained healthy after having Tommy John in '99. Someone needs to wake up!


He would have certainly been a better option(seeing as he was going to be back for this year) than some of the other rumdumbs we used last year...c'est la vie