PDA

View Full Version : Opening day experience

OzzyTrain
04-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Just got back, I know it was only 3 innings but still it was unbeleivable.

I taped the whole beganing with my camara so there there 30 second movies filmed together. If anyone wants to host it or have it sent to them. Either IM me or ask in here. Would love to share it with you guys.

Timmy D's
04-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Was up in Sec 518 and it was like ya could reach out and touch them. Holy moly that made me and my kids jump outa there skin!!!:o: :o: :o: Well the rain out stinks, but hey got to see the banners un-vieled, the fly over, and good to see a full house again!!

Only complaint besides the weather was I got stuck for 45 minutes headin East bound on 35th off of Ashland to the parking lot, that was just plain rediculous!!! Oh well, home and dry now, gonna watch the rest on tv, and get ready to head back down on Tuesday!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

buehrle4cy05
04-03-2006, 12:08 AM
That flyover did look dangerously close. I'm in row 14 of section 526, so I'd probably be scared ****less as well.

SkeetSkeetAmit
04-03-2006, 12:10 AM
My friend and I watched it on tv, and we both looked at eachother after the fly by cuz we thought it was going straight into the upper deck! That did look scary!

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-03-2006, 12:11 AM
That flyover did look dangerously close. I'm in row 14 of section 526, so I'd probably be scared ****less as well.

Hey, did you hear that tard screaming "CC!! CC!!!"

kevingrt
04-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Why did you leave?

That is kinda teal....

FedEx227
04-03-2006, 12:20 AM
So the flyover WAS that close?

Because I was watching the game and almost jumped out of my seat when I saw the planes fly by, but just thought it was the angle the cameras were at.

Timmy D's
04-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Why did you leave?

That is kinda teal....

I had my 9 year old, 5 year old, and 3.5 year old w/ me. We waited over an hour, but they were gettin cranky, and the skies weren't clearin up much. So we made a dash for the car when we could.

soxfanreggie
04-03-2006, 01:05 AM
With kids that young, can't really blame you. Now if it was me and my friends there, I would have to tell them to walk!

lizard6king6
04-03-2006, 01:56 AM
Just got back, I know it was only 3 innings but still it was unbeleivable.

I taped the whole beganing with my camara so there there 30 second movies filmed together. If anyone wants to host it or have it sent to them. Either IM me or ask in here. Would love to share it with you guys.

You can always put it on www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) or use www.yousendit.com (http://www.yousendit.com) and people can download it. Just a thought and I like to see it. It be pretty cool to see a fans perspective from the game

AngryCollins
04-03-2006, 01:59 AM
My friend and I watched it on tv, and we both looked at eachother after the fly by cuz we thought it was going straight into the upper deck! That did look scary!

I saw it on Sportscenter. They seemed to be about 100' over the top of the roof.

SoxFan76
04-03-2006, 02:21 AM
Why did you leave?

That is kinda teal....

I was cold, I was wet, and I was out of cigarettes. We were out of money, which means we were out of beer. Not to mention I had to study for an exam which is at 10am this morning which I still haven't studied for. (I'm doing it now).

It was cold out there!

Timmy D's
04-03-2006, 02:27 AM
I saw it on Sportscenter. They seemed to be about 100' over the top of the roof.

It seriously scared me. I didnt even have time to yell look out or anything. It looked like they were gonna bank right into us!!! It seemed like something out of a movie.

I bet those pilots were laughin their butts off after wards knowin' they gave 40K + on the S Side a good scare.
:bandance:

soxstarter
04-03-2006, 02:40 AM
I just got home from the 7th inning stretch. What a game. Yeahhhhh the rain delay was a bummer but afterward, getting to move down to seats behind the dugout was amazing. Of course sitting with so many of the WSI crew was great fun too. Thanks to Dump, ChiSox girl, ChiSox fanatic, Cindy, and many others, I just met for such a wonderful time.

Special thanks to Dump for a great tailgate...(and getting me to the game!)

Gotta tell you though...about the fighter jets.....they were SPECTACULAR!!!!!
Course I can understand, jumping out of your seat if you were in the 500's. They were so close we were waving at the pilot.

Sox of White
04-03-2006, 03:15 AM
They were definitely close, and definitely going over mach 1. It was very aweosme. But, I was not surprised by it because I heard them practice on friday.

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Just home...stayed ALL NINE BABY!!!!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Thome's shot went 431ft. Looked even longer at the game. Kind of disapointed with people leaving BEFORE the rain started. As soon as the lighting started people got up and darted out!

Anyway, sorry for those who watched Comcast CHOKE on the ceremony. The videos were AMAZING! When all was done, they did a video of the 05 season with "We Are the Champions" playing. It was great to hear the crowd sing along to that. Overall, besides the rain...NOTHING to complain about.

:winner

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Anyone know of any programs where I can add all the clips together ?

DeadMoney
04-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Thome's shot went 431ft. Looked even longer at the game. Kind of disapointed with people leaving BEFORE the rain started. As soon as the lighting started people got up and darted out!

Anyway, sorry for those who watched Comcast CHOKE on the ceremony. The videos were AMAZING! When all was done, they did a video of the 05 season with "We Are the Champions" playing. It was great to hear the crowd sing along to that. Overall, besides the rain...NOTHING to complain about.

Just got back also and you wrote almost everything I would've liked to - thanks :redneck . Great night overall. The rain (considering my seats were in row 32 of the LD down the 3B line) wasn't even a problem for me, just more of an inconvenience as - it's 2:30 and I just got settled in at home.

skobabe8
04-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Just got home...too tired to type. It was everything I thought it would be X100.

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 03:39 AM
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/2104/ws0029pd.jpg

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 03:41 AM
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7313/ws0045oh.jpg

Max Power
04-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Just got back. All things considered I think quite a few people stayed till the end. Everything was great, except the weather, the videos, the banners, the team, and- most important- we got the win.

Oh, and my seats were 5th row in 530. The flyover went right over us. Definitely increased my heartrate for a moment there.

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 03:44 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7929/ws0144rm.jpg

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 03:46 AM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3029/ws0074jl.jpg

TaquitoElGoocho
04-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Just got in. Wonderful opening (even Josh Kelley was mildly pleasant). The 2005 Sox season/post-season videos must have been pretty demoralizing to the Indians. The videos were detailed and lengthy (and GREAT). I only saw two Cleveland fans and they were on the Red Line el platform. Thome, Anderson looked great, imo. I was impressed with Thornton, too! A terrific opening day win...the rain just tested our mettle!

officerron
04-03-2006, 03:58 AM
just got back from the game, got down to the park at 1 to tailgate, went to the patio for a bit, the videos and banner unveilings were amazing, not gonna lie, i was crying like a little girl, it was unbelieveable, i was surprised on how many left because of the rain, but when it was all said and done, we saw a WHITE SOX WINNER!!

DaBears
04-03-2006, 04:10 AM
Just gettin' home. Stayed all 9 innings, how could I miss anything after waiting 5 LONG months to see them play again!! Videos were great, I love how they are still using the same songs for the opening scene. Fly by was over my back and freadked out my gf. I didnt think anything of it, but I havent seen it on TV at all. They also have up all the old Sox logos on flags. And whats with people running for the exits after one drop of rain?? It won't make you melt :rolleyes: .

After the rain delay I ended up moving from my seats in 103 to a buddies seats 10 rows behind the Sox Dugout/on deck circle. The Thome curtain call was awesome. I think he should have a fantastic year. That ball was hammered!!! The rain sucked but after I got soaked I didnt care. Beer sales stopped at 10 pm:redneck Which I had totally forgot about.

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Here it is
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bzaKSAJSaL0 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bzaKSAJSaL0)

IlliniSox4Life
04-03-2006, 05:13 AM
Here it is

Very cool, thanks for posting. You definately get a lot better idea of what it was like to be there from your view than just watching it on t.v. The jet fly over was definately a lot closer than normal. You could tell from your video.

Timmy D's
04-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Nice video!!!! My wife taped the 6-7 show on FOX Sports Net for me, just watched it, and those F 18's cleared that upper deck by what seems like 25' at best!!! Anyone in upper rows of say 540-542, musta needed to change their shorts!! Watch it in slow motion, if ya tivo'd it, seems like they BARELY clear the top railing of the stadium. :o: :o:

SSN721
04-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Ugh, feel so stupid after leaving the game, waited about an hour after the rain delay started, called some frieds who were saying that they were watchign weather channle and the whole screen was green and another storm looked like it was coming in. So my bussy and I left. Then of course a mile away from the park ont he radio they say start time at 10:30 PM, we were both roling our eyes andswearing wishing we stayed. But considering I start work at 6 AM and get up at 5 AM It was better I suppose. Anyway, totally worth it to come in for the opening ceremony, just phenomenal I cant get over how loud it was for the 30 minutes before the game started, jsuta constant roar up until the first pitch. Glad I was there at least for that. Kudos to most of the others on the site who waited it out as I should have. :redneck

whitesoxwilkes
04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Nice video!!!! My wife taped the 6-7 show on FOX Sports Net for me, just watched it, and those F 18's cleared that upper deck by what seems like 25' at best!!! Anyone in upper rows of say 540-542, musta needed to change their shorts!! Watch it in slow motion, if ya tivo'd it, seems like they BARELY clear the top railing of the stadium. :o: :o:

I was in 540 and holy cow were they close. Tried getting a picture and snapped it just a second too late...the planes are obscured by the roof of the park.

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm in pain... Carpooled with skobabe, converted, and Mr Roboto (very nice/cool people btw) Got home at 2:30 and had to get up for work at 5:30.... Worth it? I'd do it again in a heartbeat.... And to all the people that were saying it was cold, I was in the LD behind the plate and wore short sleeves all night?

TomBradley72
04-03-2006, 09:15 AM
We were in 556 down the left field line....the fly by was incredible...could almost see the pilots faces as they went by. :cool:

The biggest thing that stood out for me was the joy of the crowd. Smiles everywhere the entire night...our section was cracking up when Bossard got a huge ovation...and again when Man Soo Lee got a loud cheer. After all the years and ups and downs of the franchise...it's great to see everything come together. No ones bitching about JR, or the ballpark or the payroll, etc. Just shear, unabashed joy. :gulp:

roylestillman
04-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Remarkable Night.

Started with a 6'4" 320 lbs guy in Section 159 looking at the scoreboard and then turning to a new-to-the-Cell friend next to him and proudly announcing: "DIS IS DA MONTAGE!"

salty99
04-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Was in Section 533 and Brian26 and I waited out the rain delay. At first there were a lot of people on the concourse then it really thinned out once the heavy stuff stopped. They were playing the White Sox DVD's on the Jumbotron during the rain delay. That flyby was amazing and I got a great picture of it going by. I was surprised how well traffic moved getting there. I saw a ton of people getting off at Ashland so I just got on the Dan Ryan with no problems. Jerry Reinsdorf was signing a bunch of auto's before the game and I managed to snag one.

Corlose 15
04-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Last night was AMAZING. What a thrill. I only got to see the first 3.5 innings because we had to drive back to Michigan but the opening ceremony was worth the price of admission.

The crowd was awesome, by the time they opened the gates to the park, the lines of people trying to get in stretched back to the train tracks. It was so exciting being at the first game since the WS and being able to cheer all the players just for stretching. Just to give you an idea of what the crowd was like, the place went nuts when Buehrle went out to the bullpen.

As for the banner raising, just one word, OUTSTANDING. Very well done, the banners look awesome and the videos were fantastic. Even though the weather didn't cooperate this is a game I'll never forget.

BTW, we were in 506 and it seemed like those fighters flew right in front of us.

itsnotrequired
04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Wow. What an experience.

I left for the park a little after 3:00 and got down there a little after 4:00 (took the Red Line). Made a beeline for Lot L and tried to track down DumpJerry et al for some tailgate action. It took me a while to find them and ended up missing out on the grilling activities. No biggie. Everyone got to watch me slam a couple beers and then in the words of DumpJerry it was "off to church"!

We got into the park at about 5:30 PM. We got there just in time too as we were some of the last people to snag rally socks. I also met my ticket rep as we waited in line to get in. Us Upper Deckers took a lap around the outfield concourse with the Lower Deckers (got to love that season ticket full park access). The park looked great and the smells were amazing. It felt sooooo good to be back at the park. 6:00 rolled around and it was time to head upstairs. It was about that time that the clouds parted and the sun came out. Could all the rainy weather forecasts been wrong?

The banner ceremony was awesome. The video montage was great and the crowd was really into it (obviously). Those jets were indeed close on the flyover. I was able to snag a pic but it was pretty much pure luck. Those suckers were moving! The first three innings were great and Mark looked sharp. The top of the 4th wasn't as fun when mark gave up that game-tying homer. Doh! Then came the rain...

The upper concourse was a madhouse. You could hardly move. I was praying for a short delay but it just kept going on...and on...and on. Beer sales were cut off and that was the final straw for a lot of people. The park cleared out pretty good around 10:00 and the decision came to move downstairs. It was no sweat for those us with season tickets but robiwho and her brother just had single-game tickets. We decided to chance it and cooked up some tale about being married or something like that to tell the security guard. When the guard remarked that she couldn't get into the lower level with an upper level ticket, robiwho said something to the effect of "I had a season ticket but it was lost in the chaos". Good enough for the guard (they didn't seem to care much at that point) and we were on our way.

Met up with some more WSIers and proceeded to snag some seats only 7 rows behind the Sox dugout. Yeah, we went the "upgrade" route but the park was dead and no one seemed to mind. I had never sat so close to the field before and I have to say it was pretty awesome. The game started up again and of course, so did the rain. The teams forged ahead and then Thome hit that monster homer. You could see the ball disappear into the rainy night. Fabulous! Much of the rest of the game was spent huddled under an umbrella with chisoxfanatic but it was well worth it. I wish I could do it again today!

The game finally ended about 1:15 and it was off to the train. I live off the Addison stop on the Brown Line but it wasn't running at that hour. I ended up taking the Red to Addison and walking home from there (about a mile and a half). Ugh. I also had to walk past that dump of a ballpark on the north side. Sort of chuckled a bit as I thought about last year and that night's win. Good stuff. I finally rolled in the door at 2:20, nearly 12 hours after I left for the game! Up at 6:30 and now here at work. Pretty sleepy.

Anyways, yesterday was an awesome time. I got to meet some more WSIers (tebman, The Dude, Chips, Johnny74 (?)) and even ran into voodoochile on the upper concourse during the rain delay. My WSI "black book" grows.
Can't wait for Tuesday...

tebman
04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Ah, what a night!

We were in 507, way up where the birds used to roost in the bad old days. My son and I stuck it out for the whole game and glad we did! Thanks to DumpJerry for his tailgate hospitality before the game, and it was great to meet ChiSoxGirl, SoxStarter, chisoxfanatic, robiwho, itsnotrequired, voodoochile, and all the rest of our sisters and brothers of the White Sox Army.:gulp:

The pregame program was wonderful -- the Anthem, the flag, the flyover, the videos, the unveiling of the banners, and the introduction of the World Champs. Man, oh man, I never thought I'd live long enough to say that with a straight face.

Life is good.

SoxSideIrish
04-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Pre-Championship festivities highlight of the night? Running into Brooks on the LD concourse...what a guy. I had to explain to my sister that Brooks Boyer is probably one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Then the rest of the night was pretty much one big highlight (with the exception of about an hour and fifty-seven minutes somewhere in the middle.)

And ya know, it really is too bad Thome isn't very comfortable in his new uniform.

MeteorsSox4367
04-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Take out the fact that it was raining sideways at some points and that in Section 526 where I was it looked like the damn planes were going to land in our laps, being at the Cell last night was a hell of a great way to celebrate the day before my birthday.

The pregame ceremony and all that went with it were just awesome. Sure, I would have liked to stay until the end and seen Thome hit his bomb in person instead of on TV, but this whole adult job thing and having to get up early today...

Anyway, seeing the banners unveiled - especially the one that said something about 2005 World Champions - wow.

Thank God my Dad made his only son a Sox fan!

This is our year - again!!!!

P.S. - To pay homage to Pierzynski, I'm now growing a pseudo-mullet!

The Racehorse
04-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Here it is

Thanks for the post. From the looks of it, to be there, it must have been an experience of a life time. :cool:

BTW, who threw out the ceremonial first pitch? I don't remember anyone mentioning this.

daveeym
04-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I was in 531 very last row right behind home plate. Those planes were LOW. Love how they sit there and basically come in all slow on idle and then floor it over the stadium. Also from my seat I could catch the entire stadium in my field of vision. I missed the first pitch of the game because I was so distracted by the flashbulbs going off in the stadium. It was amazing. It seemed like the entire stadium lit up flashlights at the same time.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
ESPN showed the 2005 banner repeatedly, but it looked like there was another banner hung from the light standard to the left of it. What does it say? Was I just seeing things? :?:

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 10:53 AM
ESPN showed the 2005 banner repeatedly, but it looked like there was another banner hung from the light standard to the left of it. What does it say? Was I just seeing things? :?:

The one to the left says 1906, 1917 World Series Champions. It has team photos of the respective teams.

chisoxfanatic
04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I just got home from the 7th inning stretch. What a game. Yeahhhhh the rain delay was a bummer but afterward, getting to move down to seats behind the dugout was amazing. Of course sitting with so many of the WSI crew was great fun too. Thanks to Dump, ChiSox girl, ChiSox fanatic, Cindy, and many others, I just met for such a wonderful time.

Special thanks to Dump for a great tailgate...(and getting me to the game!)

Gotta tell you though...about the fighter jets.....they were SPECTACULAR!!!!!
Course I can understand, jumping out of your seat if you were in the 500's. They were so close we were waving at the pilot.

Did those photos of Paulie's behind turn out well, Robin? :cool:

That was an outstanding experience to say the least. I'll admit that I was crying the ENTIRE ceremony, especially when they showed highlights from the World Series and unveiled that banner. Chills were sent up and down my spine.

After the long rain delay, which Jen, Cyndi, Robin, Bob, Joe, Mike, Lucy, Miller, and Bob were there as well, all of us headed to vacated seats that were just 5 rows up from behind the White Sox dugout and stayed there until the final out was made. Awesome experience to say the least! Thome's home run made the crowd that was still present errupt, and it sounded like more than a few thousand were still there.

The rain continued to come after play resumed; but, I have to thank Miller for allowing me to duck under his umbrella, or I would've been much more soaked than I already was. I was shivering from the 7th inning on. But, the Sox won, and we all left happy.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 10:55 AM
The one to the left says 1906, 1917 World Series Champions. It has team photos of the respective teams.Nice!

TaquitoElGoocho
04-03-2006, 10:55 AM
BTW, who threw out the ceremonial first pitch? I don't remember anyone mentioning this. I know this doesn't make sense, but it seems like there were two people who threw out ceremonial pitches. I didn't catch who the first person was who appeared to throw out a pitch (the fans' cheers were loud!), but there was a season ticket holder who sold his world series tickets to raise $ for charity who threw out a pitch, for sure. Maybe I was in a beer haze.

itsnotrequired
04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I know this doesn't make sense, but it seems like there were two people who threw out ceremonial pitches. I didn't catch who the first person was who appeared to throw out a pitch (the fans' cheers were loud!), but there was a season ticket holder who sold his world series tickets to raise $ for charity who threw out a pitch, for sure. Maybe I was in a beer haze.

The first guy was some US Cellular executive.

kninchicago
04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Yeah the charity guy, I saw him on Oprah--he's the guy who sold his WS ticket last year to get money to drive to NO to help w/Katrina recovery. The Sox/Oprah found out somehow and had him on the show where he met Pods and Buehrle and the team gave him season tickets this year and had him throw the opening pitch and I think they flew him to AZ for spring training too.

My favorite part of last night (I was there, UD)was Buehrle's opening pitch, and seeing the thousands of camera flashes surrounding it. Oh, and Thome's HR was pretty exciting too! It was cool to get to see one half of the game in a packed stadium and the other half more like your typical cold spring game where everyone bails out early and only the real fans (with no work/family commitments, ha) are there to cheer till the wee hours.

The Racehorse
04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I'd have thought they'd have Steve Perry throw out the first pitch. :D:

Seriously, it's impressive they had that guy who sold his WS tix to help raise money for the Katrina recovery. :cool:

anewman35
04-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I know this doesn't make sense, but it seems like there were two people who threw out ceremonial pitches.

There are very often multiple people throwing out the "first" pitch.

skottyj242
04-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Last night was a great time I just wish I would have stayed the whole night. We left at like 10:20 because my dad had to be at work at six this morning. I got to my parents at like eleven and went to the bar and watched the rest.

skottyj242
04-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah and I ran into a buch of fellow WSIers like Jen, PDimas and of corse Hangar.

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I've been at work since 9 and I'm finally starting to wake up!
It was great to see everyone again at a game last night...Jen, Heather, Cyndi, Bob, Miller, Joe, Bob, and nice meeting Robin (Soxstarter)

I'm really glad we waited it out. Yes, long and wet, but worth it to see a nice ass-kicking of the Indians on opening day. I can't get the vision of Thome's HR out of my head yet!

SoLongFrank
04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
It was cold, & windy but it didn't matter. Peering out at the curtains thru my binocs waiting for them to drop was one of the coolest things I've witnessed in sports. I was much younger when the Bears won in 1985 so this time I was able to witness it with a level head well above a lake of alcohol.

I had chills from the cold but the chills from the event warmed my body. When the jets flew by a buddy bumped my shoulder. I caught the tail end of them. Having witnessed them at Daytona I can say they were dangerously too close. But no doubt that added to the thrills. I'll never forget that day & no doubt the wife was taping it for me at home.

As for the game itself, in my eyes if there is anything to grasp at to defend Mark I will. I feel Dye misplayed the ball, & it took a funny hop past AJ. He just isn't agile enough. Iguchi's not to blame. That throw beat Hafner by a mile & it was on target as a 1-hop until it veered. That play shifted momentum to the Tribe & they have good enough hitters to thrive off that.

I never felt the outcome was in doubt. When I saw Sabathia before game time I said, "He's as fat as Castillo!" I told my buds he won't last thru April. That Fat-SOB has done himself more damage that last year. Until the Tribe puts him on strict weight control or hires a manager to tell him to lay off the pasta he's always going to be an accident waiting to happen.

I didn't stay for the rain delay. I got overruled. We had hope while walking down but it felt like a monsoon. I got home in time to watch the resumption on ESPN2. I had no doubt that they would get the game in. I read once that no park drains water better than USCF. As long as the monsoon let up they would play.

My wife told me they had some Giants thing on for the rain delay. She said Bonds looked like an ugly over-the-hill hooker but those two guys singing to each other was brutal. We talked up irony at ESPN this year. They've always been on top of the roids debate even when most of the public & MLB ignored it. Yet now they've becomed the Bonds Life Network at a time when he's baseball enemy #1.

We watched Brandon pitch 3 gem innings. Speculated of the future. He'll definitely be in the rotation in 2007. So will Mark. Then the Thome blast. I wasn't sure of the time. I think it was after midnight. That was sweet. Man is he dialed in. I know he would hit a ton being a LH bat at USCF. I mean if Pods can hit a HR there Thome can hit them in his sleep.

The White Sox will run away with the division. No one has our depth. We can wear teams down & demolish their bullpens.

Scottiehaswheels
04-03-2006, 12:55 PM
The White Sox will run away with the division. No one has our depth. We can wear teams down & demolish their bullpens.

Was this shown in the tea leaves of PECOTA? Other than that, nice post.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Do you want to officially take over the Pollyanna duties for me? :D:

IronFisk
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Here it is

Ah...REDEMPTION! MANY kudos to you my friend - and many of these :gulp: when we meet up!

OzzyTrain
04-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Ah...REDEMPTION! MANY kudos to you my friend - and many of these :gulp: when we meet up!

Yeah I just wish my other username never got banned, oh well live and learn.

I will have the video tomorrow of the ring ceramony but I will be in upper deck

soxrme
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I was one of the guys who dropped the covers off the banners. We were up on the roof by the light poles. We were warned about the jets and expected them and it still made us jump a bit. It was great. I think the park looked great, the green seats make a big difference. The ceremony was well done and the crowd was juiced. What a memory.

I want Mags back
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
what an amazing night, minus the rain and being stuck on the upper concourse for 3 hours. The new banners look great, and the montages the were introduced to were amazing. Flyover was really cool, from sect 536, they looked to be flying for my head as they pasted over the Ryan. The addtions to the inro montage are great, they fit nicely around what was there from last year. I like the new logo flags that are up were the championship flags were. it adds a nice touch

The Racehorse
04-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I was one of the guys who dropped the covers off the banners. We were up on the roof by the light poles. We were warned about the jets and expected them and it still made us jump a bit. It was great. I think the park looked great, the green seats make a big difference. The ceremony was well done and the crowd was juiced. What a memory.

Hey, that must have been an amazing experience! Despite all my years in the Air Force, I still love the roar of low flying military hardware. :D: :cool:

BTW, your bio says your a long suffering Sox fan. Are you still suffering? :redneck

caracascat
04-03-2006, 05:02 PM
It was amazing when the banners were revealed and it all sank in that we were World Champs. Everything was picture perfect. However, the music sucked ass, that Josh Kelly guy was terrible. Please no more bad soulful white guys on the acoustic. Bring in someone who jams. But anyhow what magical moments, it is a day I will never forget. It is a shame that so many White Sox fans that cam before us, could not see this moment!

batmanZoSo
04-03-2006, 05:07 PM
It was amazing when the banners were revealed and it all sank in that we were World Champs. Everything was picture perfect. However, the music sucked ass, that Josh Kelly guy was terrible. Please no more bad soulful white guys on the acoustic. Bring in someone who jams. But anyhow what magical moments, it is a day I will never forget. It is a shame that so many White Sox fans that cam before us, could not see this moment!

Yeah. I've come to just accept that the national anthem is going to be bad most of the time..

soxrme
04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey, that must have been an amazing experience! Despite all my years in the Air Force, I still love the roar of low flying military hardware. :D: :cool:

BTW, your bio says your a long suffering Sox fan. Are you still suffering? :redneck
My jaws hurt from smiling so much:D:

robiwho
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Take out the rain and it was pretty much a perfect opening day. The atmosphere was awesome -- everyone was smiling and happy and having a great time. DumpJerry's tailgate was a lot fun. It was great to see so many WSI friends and to meet tebman and SoxStarter.

There's not much I can add to everyone else's comments about the banner ceremony -- it was just amazing. I have to admit I started getting a little teary-eyed as soon as the players started their pre-game warm ups; it only got worse from there! :redface:

Hanging out with ChiSoxGirl, itsnotrequired, spiffie and everyone else made the rain delay fly by...well, sort of. Working our way down to the lower deck, meeting up with the rest of the WSI crew, and taking up residence five rows behind the Sox dugout made the rest of the night perfect.

Getting home was a trial. We had parked near the green line, which stops running at 1:00 a.m. -- somehow, we didn't anticipate that problem :rolleyes: -- which meant we had to take the red line to the blue line and then get a cab in Forest Park to take us to Oak Park to pick up the car. I didn't make it home until a few minutes before 3:00 a.m. -- and then I was too keyed up to fall asleep.

So, did anyone else not go to work this morning? I called in, but had a co-worker email some documents to me so I could get some work done at home. I'm lucky to have a boss to whom I could tell the truth about why I wasn't coming in today.

Now to rest up for tomorrow!

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah. I've come to just accept that the national anthem is going to be bad most of the time..

I'm Patrick Blackwell's biggest fan. His voice make's James Earl Jones' sound like Carrot Top.

whitesoxwilkes
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
There's really not much I can add to all the great sentiments posted. Quite simply one of the best nights of my life, even though the rain drove us out of there at about 9:20.

One little trivia bit: I sat next to a fellow WSIer and talked to him most of the game before the rain delay without once mentioning the site. I knew exactly who he was...and I'll betcha he's got no clue who I was. It's fun being incognito!

Brian26
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM

I'm not going to get into a debate with someone about music, but Josh Kelly was fine. The mini concert before the game was a nice touch. Geezuz, find something else to complain about.

Vernam
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Seriously, it's impressive they had that guy who sold his WS tix to help raise money for the Katrina recovery. :cool:I saw the guy in the UD concourse during the rain delay. I said, "You threw out the pitch, right?" He said yeah. I told him, "You make us all proud, man."

We sit in 527, and the jets were obscured by the right-field light standard until the very last instant. I remember feeling slightly embarrassed to think they looked too close for comfort, but after reading all the posts here, maybe they really did overdo it. Who cares, it was a thrill . . . I can think of worse ways to die than to get hit by a fighter jet while celebrating the World Championship!

Apart from the high points everyone's mentioned, the updated pre-game intro video was cool. They obviously have some choice new footage at their disposal! But they also added some different vintage clips.

When they unveiled the banner, my son turned to see if I was bawling, which I was. :redface: Later, we had our first shot at a foul ball. Guy in front of us got his hands on it, and the ball rolled down the aisle to a guy at his right. My son got jostled in the scrum and was covered in powdered sugar from the funnel cake I'd just brought him. :D: The guy showed us the ball -- pretty cool, with an Opening Day logo on it.

Vernam

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Opening day was great this year. I don't care about the rain delay. In fact I'm glad it happened because I got to move much closer to see Thome's "Rain soaked moonshot" (thanks Batman).

The park had a whole new vibe and I loved it. It's hard to describe how it feels going to see our defending World Series Champions play.

When I moved closer to home plate after the delay I sat in some green seats. They were mounted very poorly to the concrete and wobbled, did anyone else notice?

an awesome day.

DumpJerry
04-04-2006, 12:03 AM
My tailgate was fun. Tebman (and his son, Doug), Soxstarter, Chisoxgirl, Chisoxfanatic, Itsnotrequired, Robiwho, and Chisoxgirl's friend Natalie enjoyed hot dogs (if they showed up early enough), Fat tire beer, Sox music the company of Sox fans all around us!

ChiSoxGirl
04-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Yesterday was one of the most unforgettable days in my life as a Sox fan. I really don't know what was more emotional for me- Game 1 of the World Series or Opening Night!

I got in line to park in Lot F around 2:30 and we were let in at 3. Found DumpJerry & Soxstarter and we began the inaugural tailgate (grill issues aside :wink:). It was nice to meet tebman & his son, and it was good to see robiwho, itsnotrequired, and chisoxfanatic again, who all stopped by the tailgate.

We all entered the ballpark together at Gate 2 and were very excited and pleased with the magnetic schedule. Seeing Grinder Ball Rules #1 and #75 were awesome and we all took pictures of them like we'd never seen them before or something! Those of us in the upper deck exercised our lower level access and took a lap around the ballpark.

I got to my seat in 518, only to see The Dude & Chips sitting right in front of me! Before the pregame ceremonies, skobabe8 & converted stopped by- good to see them again! When the rains came, The Dude, Chips, myself, itsnotrequired, robiwho and her brother all went down to 148 to meet up with chisoxmike, DumpJerry, Soxstarter, and chisoxfanatic after two hours of standing on the concourse upstairs. We found ourselves some great seats in 139 to watch the rest of the game from, which was awesome!

The pregame ceremonies, particularly the 2005 montage that accompanied the unveiling of all the banners, had me crying my eyes out. This was one of the most emotional nights of my life as a Sox fan. Amidst the tears, I did manage to enjoy everything- from the very low F18 flyover to what has become the traditional player introductions.

Despite the game lasting nearly as late as Game 3 of the World Series, I had a fantastic time and would stay all over again if given the choice. So what if all I got was three hours of sleep last night? This is my team and I love 'em too much to have had Opening Night be any other way than how it was for me. :smile:

SoLongFrank
04-04-2006, 01:17 AM
With my bold prediction I want to confine that to the ALC. The Yankee$ scare me.

Jurr
04-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Got back last night. Had a great time. First of all, the Dan situation wasn't bad at all. I just took Lake Shore to the festivities and parked up near Grand. The red line was definitely the way to go.

The banner ceremony was ridiculous. Awesome stuff. If anybody wants a copy, let me know. I've got the player introductions along the baselines, the banner ceremony, the "We are the Champions" montage, and the player intros to Thunderstruck. Great stuff.

Bone to pick...drove by Puffers at 10:30 pm on Saturday, and there was nobody there! :?:

ChiSoxGirl
04-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Bone to pick...drove by Puffers at 10:30 pm on Saturday, and there was nobody there! :?:

We were there! The first person to leave our gathering didn't do so until at least 11p, if not later. Hangar18, me, chisoxfanatic, and longshot7 closed Puffers at 1:30a.

chisoxmike
04-04-2006, 11:39 PM

:?:

chisoxfanatic
04-04-2006, 11:54 PM
We were there! The first person to leave our gathering didn't do so until at least 11p, if not later. Hangar18, me, chisoxfanatic, and longshot7 closed Puffers at 1:30a.

Do you think Hangar finished all of that FREE pizza he took home?

For those of you who weren't present, he ordered 3 pizzas, had the rest of us pay for them, and shared another pizza with a self-admitted CUB fan. He then proceeded to take the last nearly 1 1/2 pizzas home with him when we all left the bar.