PDA

View Full Version : Bucky's already gone

Thome's Homey
04-02-2006, 09:19 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=3916

Looks like we won't get to hear about Bucky mashing at Charlotte this year.

This is kind of odd. He perhaps expected to make the major league club?

Banix12
04-02-2006, 09:41 PM
I think there was a thread on this already but I think basically his playing time would have been limited a bit in Charlotte with Rogowski in AAA and maybe the sox weren't in the mood to work on him as a project right now.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Has anyone heard what happened with Nomo and Redding? Are either, or both, going to Charlotte?

What about Ruben Rivera and Mark Quinn, who we recently signed?

Any sightings of the imfamous Anderson Gomes....the player who will make everyone forget Jerry Owens, lol.

The Racehorse
04-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Looks like Bucky won't be making a dent with the big club.
:kneeslap:

Randar68
04-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Has anyone heard what happened with Nomo and Redding? Are either, or both, going to Charlotte?

Any sightings of the imfamous Anderson Gomes....the player who will make everyone forget Jerry Owens, lol.

Quinn will be in Birmingham.

Rivera likely an OF'er in Charlotte. BJ Lamura in BHam.

Rosters should be available in the next couple of days. Opening day is April 6th for the minor leagues and we'll know a lot more by then.

Right now I'm guessing Anderson Gomes stays in Tuscon and will be in one of the rookie leagues, most likely Bristol, when they open play on June 21st.

I'm probably more excited about the start of minor league ball than the major league regular season, LOL!

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Quinn will be in Birmingham.

Rivera likely an OF'er in Charlotte. BJ Lamura in BHam.

Rosters should be available in the next couple of days. Opening day is April 6th for the minor leagues and we'll know a lot more by then.

Right now I'm guessing Anderson Gomes stays in Tuscon and will be in one of the rookie leagues, most likely Bristol, when they open play on June 21st.

I'm probably more excited about the start of minor league ball than the major league regular season, LOL!

There´s pretty good depth spread around the system...in the lower levels, you have Allen, Cunningham, C. Carter, Hernandez, Daniel Cortes, Clayton Richard, etc.

Then you have Malone, Haeger, Broadway, Valido, Sweeney, Fields, Honel MAYBE or EVENTUALLY, Rogowski, Reynoso, Tucker, Jerry Owens, Liotta...AA?

It´s amazing BA ranked us 14th when you look at what we´ve lost

Reed
Morse
Olivo....not a rookie, but close
Gio
Haigwood
Webster
Rupe
F. Francisco
Chris Young
Borchard´s non-prospect self
Fabio Castro

Thome's Homey
04-03-2006, 12:34 PM

I believe it's Nomo, Redding, Rivera to AAA. Quinn to AA or AAA.

Not sure where Gomes is going, but I got to see one at-bat. He didn't get a hit, but I swear he made it to first in world-record time. He made Pods look like Paulie on that one 90-foot run. He looks like a starving African kid from those late night commercials. Pull off his jersey and you probably see a rack of ribs. :o:

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Gomes, as mentioned before, will probably stay in Extended Spring Training and then get assigned to Bristol or Great Falls this June.

I keep thinking of players like Marcus Lawton and Ruddy Yan that had tons of stolen bases...and I´m assuming that a player with Gomes´ speed will get his share...and they never came close to making an impact at the major league level. Gomes, since he was a pitcher, has to have a very solid arm...but I am guessing we will end up with an Endy Chavez type more than we are going to have the next game-changing type of player.

I am interested to see how many steals Valido and Jerry Owens put up this season.

KRS1
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Then you have Malone, Haeger, Broadway, Valido, Sweeney, Fields, Honel MAYBE or EVENTUALLY, Rogowski, Reynoso, Tucker, Jerry Owens, Liotta...AA?

Haeger, Fields, Rogowski, Reynoso, and Owens are all sure things for Charlotte, not AA, and Sweeney is a toss up between the two. I think Ryan should be moved up with this core of guys, he has passed the test at every level, and IMO can only benefit from the way we haved pushed him. We know he will perform in Charlotte, the question is would it do him better to see the same league for a second go around a while before we promote him. The OF in Charlotte should look something like Owens, Blakely, and Sweeney with Rivera as a 4th man, while Bham might turn out as Collaro,Smith, and Nanita with Quin serving as a 4th man. I could be completely wrong here, but that looks like the pecking order out there after ST talent-wise.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Gomes, as mentioned before, will probably stay in Extended Spring Training and then get assigned to Bristol or Great Falls this June.

I keep thinking of players like Marcus Lawton and Ruddy Yan that had tons of stolen bases...and I´m assuming that a player with Gomes´ speed will get his share...and they never came close to making an impact at the major league level. Gomes, since he was a pitcher, has to have a very solid arm...but I am guessing we will end up with an Endy Chavez type more than we are going to have the next game-changing type of player.

How can you say all that without ever seeing him play? That kind of review of his game is preposterous at this point.

maurice
04-03-2006, 03:26 PM
My best guesses, based on what I've seen and heard so far . . .

Pos - AAA - AA
C - Stewart - Molina
1B - Rogowski - Hinton?
2B - Gonzalez - Getz
SS - Lopez - Valido
3B - Fields - Schnurstein
RF - Sweeney - Collaro
CF - Owens - Amador?
LF/DH - Rivera, etc. - Quinn, etc.

Nanita, Cook, and/or Smith also might get a shot at AA.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 03:30 PM
My best guesses, based on what I've seen and heard so far . . .

Pos - AAA - AA
C - Stewart - Molina
1B - Rogowski - Hinton?
2B - Gonzalez - Getz
SS - Lopez - Valido
3B - Fields - Schnurstein
RF - Sweeney - Collaro
CF - Owens - Amador?
LF/DH - Rivera, etc. - Quinn, etc.

Nanita, Cook, and/or Smith also might get a shot at AA.

Nanita will be in AA. Cook and Smith are in Winston-Salem.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Oh yeah, the following players already are listed on the Knights' roster:

Arnie Munoz, P
Joshua Fields, P
Charlie Haeger, P
Paulino Reynoso, P
Sean Tracey, P

Chris Stewart, C
Tim Hummel, 2B
Pedro Lopez, SS
Casey Rogowski, 1B/OF

Jerry Owens, of

maurice
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Pos - AAA - AA - A+
C - Stewart - Molina - Lucy
1B - Rogowski - Hinton, Hansen? - Kelly
2B - Gonzalez - Getz - Guest
SS - Lopez - Valido - Haggerty
3B - Fields - Schnurstein - De Los Santos
RF - Sweeney - Collaro - Cook
CF - Owens - Amador? - Smith
LF/DH - Rivera, etc. - Nanita, Quinn, etc. - Tartaglia, etc.

KRS1
04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, the following players already are listed on the Knights' roster:

Arnie Munoz, P
Joshua Fields, P
Charlie Haeger, P
Paulino Reynoso, P
Sean Tracey, P

Chris Stewart, C
Tim Hummel, 2B
Pedro Lopez, SS
Casey Rogowski, 1B/OF

Jerry Owens, of

It's weird to have Joshua listed as a Knight after having surgery not too long ago, even though he clearly deserves to be there when healthy. What exactly did he have done? I could have sworn it was TJ, but could have miss-read while it was just another elbow ligament.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
It's weird to have Joshua listed as a Knight after having surgery not too long ago, even though he clearly deserves to be there when healthy. What exactly did he have done? I could have sworn it was TJ, but could have miss-read while it was just another elbow ligament.

Well, what does anyone know about Gomes so far?

That he´s reed thin. That he used to be a pitcher, so most ¨project¨ that he has an above average arm. That he had TJ or some type of reconstructive surgery. That he´s fast. That he´s had two professional at-bats in his career.

Who here has seen him play, in person, especially in the field?

There haven´t been many major leaguers to make it JUST based on their speed....unless they were pinch-runners. That was my point. This guy is not Toe Nash or Sydd Finch. He MIGHT make it someday as a fourth or fifth outfielder...for those projecting him to be a starter or an All-Star someday, simply based on time to 1B or 30-40 yard sprint, too is presumptuous.

Obviously, they saw something they liked. At one point, there was talk of a huge signing bonus (around $300-400K) and all the Phil Rogers hype about him.

KRS1
04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Well, what does anyone know about Gomes so far?

That he´s reed thin. That he used to be a pitcher, so most ¨project¨ that he has an above average arm. That he had TJ or some type of reconstructive surgery. That he´s fast. That he´s had two professional at-bats in his career.

There haven´t been many major leaguers to make it JUST based on their speed....unless they were pinch-runners. That was my point. This guy is not Toe Nash or Sydd Finch. He MIGHT make it someday as a fourth or fifth outfielder...for those projecting him to be a starter or an All-Star someday, simply based on time to 1B or 30-40 yard sprint, too is presumptuous.

Obviously, they saw something they liked. At one point, there was talk of a huge signing bonus (around $300-400K) and all the Phil Rogers hype about him.

Why you quoted what I asked about Fields I'll never know. Also, as someone said, "how can you say this about someone you have never seen play"? I believe I saw him once on the backfields in February, but the most I saw of the young guys was fielding ball and pitching. Please back off your obsession with comparing him to Toe Nash, because without actually seeing him play, you don't know what youre talking about. He played ball in Japan, and obviously will be a project since it was as a pitcher, but the talent appears to be there as he will be playing in W-S in his first pro season as a hitter.

maurice
04-03-2006, 04:22 PM

Linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56099&highlight=fields)

Randar68
04-03-2006, 04:49 PM

So because none of us has seen him play that means you should be comparing him to other players, projecting him hap-hazardly with zero knowledge of what you're talking about?

He's not just speed, that much I do know.

Most people who don't know *** they are talking about reserve judgement or wait to see a little bit before they start blabbing about a player... but not u???

Seriously, let's wait to see him play, get some early returns.

What you're doing is like a blind man describing what a painting looks like. :rolleyes:

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 05:03 PM
So, once again, you can act like a complete ncorgbl but you can tell me nothing about him either...¨he´s not just speed¨

Well, how do you know that? Have you ever seen him hit in person? Are you going on what other people have said about him?

Have you ever worked for a professional baseball team? What are your qualifications? Please discuss. You´re probably one of those like hotsoxchick that makes one trip per year to Spring Training and to all of the minor league teams (not too difficult since they´re mostly in the SE) and thinks that qualifies them as an expert. Did you play in college? Seriously. Stop acting like God...I do feel I can fairly accurately say that you are not God, and I´ve never seen you either.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
So, once again, you can act like a complete ncorgbl but you can tell me nothing about him either...¨he´s not just speed¨

Well, how do you know that? Have you ever seen him hit in person? Are you going on what other people have said about him?

I already told you that I have not seen him in person, but someone who has seen him take BP has told me has more power than his frame would indicate.

Again, I can be a complete ass about things, but people who throw a bunch of crap against a wall with no idea what they are talking about will get a considerable percentage of that wrath directed their way.

You take the opportunity of nobody having yet had the chance to evaluate a foreign player and use that opportunity to throw a whole bunch of random, uninformed projections out there in total ignorance...

That's just silly, childish, and pointless, and I'll call it exactly what it is. It has nothing to do with my opinion of the player or whether or not I had yet to see him play. It is 100% to do with the content of your posts. Period.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 05:15 PM
You´re still not answering the question(s).

KRS1
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Have you ever worked for a professional baseball team? What are your qualifications? Please discuss. You´re probably one of those like hotsoxchick that makes one trip per year to Spring Training and to all of the minor league teams (not too difficult since they´re mostly in the SE) and thinks that qualifies them as an expert. Did you play in college? Seriously. Stop acting like God...I do feel I can fairly accurately say that you are not God, and I´ve never seen you either.

I know youre talking to someone else here, but let me explain. You are saying something terrible about a player while completely blind to any real facts. Randar, Mo, and myself never played him up to be the next Vlad, and if you read what those two have said about other players they have seen, you might actually gain some unbiased knowledge(should you take your head out of you bum). I can speak only for myself in saying while I'm no scout or Major League talent evaluator, I do know how to look at a player when scouting him. I had a chance to pitch at South Suburban JC(turned it down for a better education opportunity), and while that's not a huge program or any type of great statement about myself as a ball player, I do feel I have a good feel for the game. I have gone to the last 3 ST sessions attending around 5-10 games in each, while going to the February report camp each of the last two.

The people here that havent seen a guy play( and actually know what they are talking about) arent willing to write a guy off before they do. Have you ever seen ANY of our minor league talent in person? Would you have any idea how to look at a young player in his first year of pro ball as a hitter? Like I said, Wilder and Co. must be pretty high in his abilities as a ball player to jump up to W-S as a rookie in America as well as in the batters box. Too bad some people dont like to use the actual process of thought before they speak, when they dont it just makes them look dumb as well as pompous and immature.

I see you just got back from your month off less than a week ago, and youre already acting like a child again. How long before you learn acting like this wont get you anywhere.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Okay, and I spent two years working as Director of PR and Stadium Operations for the Augusta GreenJackets.

I know talent...I helped convince them to bring up Jose Guillen to our team when he was about to get buried in extended spring. We ended up winning the SAL championship that season (1995). I was his interpreter through most of the season.

I watched Jermaine Dye, Vladimir Guerrero, Andruw Jones, Magglio, Jeff Abbott, Derek Jeter, Jaret Wright, Richie Sexson, Ruben Rivera...play day after day after day. You can just tell automatically which players are going to make it and which aren´t. Some of the players I was around were Jason Kendall, Jason Johnson, Lou Collier, Steve Cooke, Adrian Brown, Wiki Gonzalez, Chris Peters and Jimmy Anderson.

I also spent a bunch of time in the late 80´s and early 90´s following the Midwest League players. I got to know Scott Radinsky really well at that time...the year before he was recalled to the majors.

I´m working down here in Colombia with Orlando Cabrera and Edgar Renteria´s brother with their baseball camps and non-profit foundations in Cartagena, Barranquilla and Miami.

I was wrong to jump to a comparison with Ruddy Yan or Marcus Lawton, but I have seen tons of posts from people who have never seen a single player in person and they don´t merit a verbal diatribe. In all seriousness, it´s cool with me...there are many posters at chisox.com that can´t stand this place, and there are just as many that can´t stand the teenagers and numerous random spam and attack threads over there. I just like talking about the White Sox...like another poster named baggio over there.

As far as posting here...banning someone doesn´t mean much to me. Ncorgbl had me banned 5 times when I was at chisox.com and his whole story finally came out, so I don´t feel bad at all. I made a comment saying the board moderators were acting like the Gestapo because every single post about Frank Thomas was getting eviscerated. If you recall, this was the first night (February 26 or 27th) when the Thomas-KW situation blew up, yet somehow, we weren´t supposed to say anything negative about Thomas or even make a comment about the situation in general. I thought that was childish, pompous and immature...the work of board moderators who do not believe in free speech but wish to control or spin the situation. You can have people that only agree with your opinions around if you find that interesting. Most people who live in a free country do not.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
You´re still not answering the question(s).

This is the reason I blocked you in the first place. None of it is pertinent in the least. My reputation on this board speaks for itself and I have reported and written about Sox prospects on and for this board and others for about 8 years. Get to see many minor league games over the years. Working for a team in a PR department doesn't mean you know a damned thing about baseball, frankly. Not only that, but it sure as hell doesn't indicate any sort of intelligence that might tell you to see before you judge.

I'm not going to defend myself against a troll. Hell, maybe I don't even know how to evaluate players but I sure as day know a dumbass whern I see one, and you sir, fit the bill.

Stop judging a player you've never seen play an out of baseball. :dtroll:

KRS1
04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Okay, and I spent two years working as Director of PR and Stadium Operations for the Augusta GreenJackets.

I know talent...I helped convince them to bring up Jose Guillen to our team when he was about to get buried in extended spring. We ended up winning the SAL championship that season (1995). I was his interpreter through most of the season.

I watched Jermaine Dye, Vladimir Guerrero, Andruw Jones, Magglio, Jeff Abbott, Derek Jeter, Jaret Wright, Richie Sexson, Ruben Rivera...play day after day after day. You can just tell automatically which players are going to make it and which aren´t. Some of the players I was around were Jason Kendall, Jason Johnson, Lou Collier, Steve Cooke, Adrian Brown, Wiki Gonzalez, Chris Peters and Jimmy Anderson.

I also spent a bunch of time in the late 80´s and early 90´s following the Midwest League players. I got to know Scott Radinsky really well at that time...the year before he was recalled to the majors.

I´m working down here in Colombia with Orlando Cabrera and Edgar Renteria´s brother with their baseball camps and non-profit foundations in Cartagena, Barranquilla and Miami.

I was wrong to jump to a comparison with Ruddy Yan or Marcus Lawton, but I have seen tons of posts from people who have never seen a single player in person and they don´t merit a verbal diatribe. In all seriousness, it´s cool with me...there are many posters at chisox.com that can´t stand this place, and there are just as many that can´t stand the teenagers and numerous random spam and attack threads over there. I just like talking about the White Sox...like another poster named baggio over there.

My father was born in Colombia, what town are you currently working in? He doesnt visit there much anymore because of the times and happenings, but the last time he went there (around 2000) he said baseball is really picking up with soccer among the youth there.

I also find it hard to believe someone of your alleged experience would be small minded enough to write off a player he's never seen. You MAY have seen those players you listed, and May have been able to pick talent out of the barrel, but you HAVE NOT seen Gomes therefore you cannot tell whether or not he's going to make it. Also, the ones who cant stand this place can keep there ***** over there, because they are the same immature fools who post uninformed garbage and other BS that gets sent to the Roadhouse here.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Then please, by all means, put me on ¨block¨ and the board and other posters will be much happier. Other posters can make their own conclusions. It´s a free world.

KRS1
04-03-2006, 06:04 PM
As far as posting here...banning someone doesn´t mean much to me. Ncorgbl had me banned 5 times when I was at chisox.com and his whole story finally came out, so I don´t feel bad at all. I made a comment saying the board moderators were acting like the Gestapo because every single post about Frank Thomas was getting eviscerated. If you recall, this was the first night (February 26 or 27th) when the Thomas-KW situation blew up, yet somehow, we weren´t supposed to say anything negative about Thomas or even make a comment about the situation in general. I thought that was childish, pompous and immature...the work of board moderators who do not believe in free speech but wish to control or spin the situation. You can have people that only agree with your opinions around if you find that interesting. Most people who live in a free country do not.
It's not about free speech, it's about intelligent and informative baseball discussion. This site was set up by people who want to keep it that way, and I for one am extremely happy with what they do. Freedom of speech does not give you the right disrespect others, give out false and bad information, or say anything you want.

caulfield12
I lived in Cartagena last summer (Barrio Manga) and now live in Armenia, which is the heart of Eje Cafetero (Coffee Country) and Juan Valdez.

Too many posters are canonizing Gomes because of a Baseball America chat.

That means about as much to me as Baseball Prospectus.

Will he make the majors someday...probably...if they feel he´s already prepared to jump to High A with the bat already. It could also indicate they want to see him sink or swim, and that´s the best test for him to start off with...although the jump from High A to AA is probably the most difficult.

In this thread, I stated he should start at Bristol or Great Falls. Obviously, that projection has proven wrong already, by two teams on the depth chart.

I can´t recall his exact signing bonus now, but it wasn´t what you would give to someone selected in Mark Buehrle´s spot would merit...I think the money was one of the things that led to the hype in the first place.

As far as Free Speech goes, I also think that one should have the liberty to defend oneself if attacked. To say you are wrong or you need to give it more time or something would not be nearly as inflammatory as some of the comments I have seen that feel to many like personal or character attacks. It really depends on what the moderators want...behavior of that kind can scare off younger White Sox fans or people who have legitimate questions and don´t know the Sox or games like many ¨veteran¨ posters. There´s no such thing as a dumb question, as they say. Yet in the five years or so I have posted about the Sox, I have seen plenty of future or potential Sox fans run off by insensitive posters....ncorgbl being one of the worst. When people leave the realm of the Internet and begin to attack you in ¨real life,¨ that´s when it has gone too far.

Daver
It´s a free world.

WSI is not a democracy.

Randar68
04-03-2006, 06:07 PM

Hey Trollboy. POINT OUT THE POSTERS CANNONIZING ANDERSON GOMES.

There aren't any. Talking about him out of curiousity and the fact that nobody knows what to expect from him is not the same thing as this figment of your imagination you keep talking about.

Please show me the posts on this board cannonizing Anderson Gomes.

Until then, stop making up arguments and positions that don't even exist and use a little common sense and wait to judge a player until you can make an INFORMED opinion. Until you do that, you're cluttering the board with ignorant garbage.

KRS1
04-03-2006, 06:08 PM

That means about as much to me as Baseball Prospectus.

Will he make the majors someday...probably...if they feel he´s already prepared to jump to High A with the bat already. It could also indicate they want to see him sink or swim, and that´s the best test for him to start off with...although the jump from High A to AA is probably the most difficult.

In this thread, I stated he should start at Bristol or Great Falls. Obviously, that projection has proven wrong already, by two teams on the depth chart.

I can´t recall his exact signing bonus now, but it wasn´t what you would give to someone selected in Mark Buehrle´s spot would merit...I think the money was one of the things that led to the hype in the first place.

Not one poster here (rather informed poster) has "cannonized" Gomes as anything other than potential yet. Anything other than that would just be taking a shot in the dark. He is a great athlete, and as we all know that doesnt mean he's a great baseball player, but at least the smart one are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

caulfield12
04-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Okay, I will apologize for making such a big issue of this.

If someone would have just said, you are wrong....that would have been the end of it. Everyone has the right to an opinion, and some are more informed than others. But something is to be learned from everyone, no matter how young or how old they might be...because their perspective might be combined with your own limited perspective to give you a new angle or thought you wouldn´t have come up with or extrapolated on your own.

HOWEVER, I do have an issue with the way people CAN be treated by certain posters on message boards...I think we all have a responsibility to be respectful and patient with others, as we could be running off future Sox fans who feel the same way after posting here as if their favorite Sox player brushed them off when they asked for an autograph.

I really feel that literally hundreds of White Sox fans who went to chisox.com to chat about their favorite team from 1999-2004 were probably turned off by what they experienced on those chatboards...this WS title is sweet, but only if it sustained success that leads to a future generation of White Sox and baseball fans across the world.

KRS1
04-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Okay, I will apologize for making such a big issue of this.

If someone would have just said, you are wrong....that would have been the end of it. Everyone has the right to an opinion, and some are more informed than others. But something is to be learned from everyone, no matter how young or how old they might be...because their perspective might be combined with your own limited perspective to give you a new angle or thought you wouldn´t have come up with or extrapolated on your own.

HOWEVER, I do have an issue with the way people CAN be treated by certain posters on message boards...I think we all have a responsibility to be respectful and patient with others, as we could be running off future Sox fans who feel the same way after posting here as if their favorite Sox player brushed them off when they asked for an autograph.

I really feel that literally hundreds of White Sox fans who went to chisox.com to chat about their favorite team from 1999-2004 were probably turned off by what they experienced on those chatboards...this WS title is sweet, but only if it sustained success that leads to a future generation of White Sox and baseball fans across the world.

The only people getting run off this site are the ones who have no idea how to handle themselves in a civilized forum. If you are mature and respectful enough to understand the right way as well as the wrong way to present an argument or a post on a topic, then there will be no problem.

RetireWoodys28
04-07-2006, 04:46 AM
If you're going to run things as a "non-democratic" and "civilized" forum, could you at least edit the titles of these threads so as not to mislead us Bucky enthusiasts into reading 20 minutes worth of "my qualifications are" rants? Just a suggestion that might help "lead to a future generation of White Sox and baseball fans across the world."

Geez guys! LIGHTEN UP! We won the World Series, for god's sake! :gulp: