PDA

View Full Version : Banners replace flags

Thome's Homey
04-02-2006, 07:58 PM
For all divisional titles, pennants, and championships...Boy, do they look sharp! VERY nice!

soxfanreggie
04-02-2006, 08:02 PM
I sure hope they throw those in the White Sox Hall of Fame!

I hated seeing the nice shot of the guy in the Phillies cap (yes, I am mad about that one, this is our time and our house!).

I do give ESPN credit for their intro too.

bafiarocks03
04-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I love them!! Amazing! That intro was soo exciting!

Layla
04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
The whole thing brought tears to my eyes.

TornLabrum
04-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Being there was amazing. I didn't tear up, but I definitely had a lump in my throat. Seeing the 2005 World Series Championship banner, I think, has finally driven it home. We really did win it all!

dondosae1
04-03-2006, 12:17 AM
I REALLY like all the new flags in the ballparks with all the old Sox logo's on them...nice touch.

Was amazing to be there..wish the weather would have held out!!

Kuzman
04-03-2006, 02:24 AM
I was there and I did tear up a little bit. I hadly even noticed it until my girlfriend handed me a napkin. We left at the 7th inning stretch. We got up to go to the bathroom and had a collective.. yaaaah lets goooo.... Great game though and that Thome HR, Oh My God.

Here's to a successful season!:gulp: Go Sox!

StockdaleForVeep
04-03-2006, 03:21 AM
The whole ceremony did bring me to tears, but im sorta saddened that i wont be seein the flags flap in the win ontop of the stadium

DeadMoney
04-03-2006, 03:27 AM
It seemed as if the League Champions banner began sheering down the seam on the left side as the storm went on and also ripped just below the 2005 pennant and above the 1919 pennant. Now, this isn't a huge rip or anything, but it seemed as if, from my perception (section 154), that something wasn't right with that particular banner as the night and storm went on. I can imagine, if something did go wrong though, that someone from the Sox will be on the phone tommorow morning and the person on the other end will probably have some hell to pay.

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 03:30 AM
It seemed as if the League Champions banner began sheering down the seam on the left side as the storm went on and also ripped just below the 2005 pennant and above the 1919 pennant. Now, this isn't a huge rip or anything, but it seemed as if, from my perception (section 154), that something wasn't right with that particular banner as the night and storm went on. I can imagine, if something did go wrong though, that someone from the Sox will be on the phone tommorow morning and the person on the other end will probably have some hell to pay.

I noticed that too, right after I said "Looks like the banners survived the storm.":redface:

Max Power
04-03-2006, 03:47 AM
Though I generally prefer the traditional flags for WS, AL, Division championships I think the banners look VERY nice. Well done.

Cat Thief
04-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Though I generally prefer the traditional flags for WS, AL, Division championships I think the banners look VERY nice. Well done.

I agree with you 100 %. I miss the flags already. But if they fill the place up with those banners, I will get over it.

SoxIllini
04-03-2006, 04:11 AM

that's funny, i heard the same thing from someone i was driving home with today.

still walking around in soaking wet clothes as if i left a load in my pants...

Foulke You
04-03-2006, 04:15 AM
I agree with you 100 %. I miss the flags already. But if they fill the place up with those banners, I will get over it.
I did enjoy the old flags however, I actually prefer the banners because they are much more visible than the flags. Most people couldn't even see the old flags because they were too small and high up. The only thing you could make out on the old flags was the year and not the accomplishment. These new banners are very nice and well put together.

For those flag lovers though, don't despair. They have brand new flags where the old ones used to be and now there is a flag for every single Sox logo from every different era. Also very cool.

soxinem1
04-03-2006, 08:31 AM
I did enjoy the old flags however, I actually prefer the banners because they are much more visible than the flags. Most people couldn't even see the old flags because they were too small and high up. The only thing you could make out on the old flags was the year and not the accomplishment. These new banners are very nice and well put together.

For those flag lovers though, don't despair. They have brand new flags where the old ones used to be and now there is a flag for every single Sox logo from every different era. Also very cool.

The banners are very sharp, but I think they will deteriorate faster than a flying flag because of the way they are mounted.

The simple elegance of the flags is nice, and I miss them.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
My brother has lent me his really good camera...so since I'm in the UD for Tuesday, I'm getting close up shots of the banners, and I'll post them(and I am sure there will be about 500 other pics from everyone else...oh well).

Also, will take some good close ups during the ring ceremony. And of course, my replica ring as well.

LongLiveFisk
04-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I mentioned in another thread that I wish the flags could remain flying, alongside the banners. That would really look great, but I guess they think it's redundant.

Love the new banners, but I loved the flags too.

johnnyg83
04-03-2006, 10:05 AM
On TV, while the sun was still up, it was hard to read the banner, was that just a camera thing? Could you read it during daylight?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 12:04 PM
The banners are more prominent. The flags they had last year looked sort of ratty (like an American Flag outside of a car wash for 6 years) and a few were taken down due to fundamentals (1901 and others IIRC) so I am glad our former Championship teams are getting the respect they deserve.

Hopefully they will provide good maintenance on the banners.

Great videos, great ceremony. Great Opening Day.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Can someone post photos of all these things? They sound great.

chisoxmike
04-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Can someone post photos of all these things? They sound great.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

It's on the front page of the site.

Baby Fisk
04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

It's on the front page of the site.
Thx again. The link to the photo section has it all!

itsnotrequired
04-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Thx again. The link to the photo section has it all!

There are some more banner shots:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/custom/photos/cs-060402soxindiansgallery,1,4600611.photogallery?col l=chi-sportsnew-hed

Fenway
04-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I like what the White Sox have done but being old school I think there should be a pennant just below the American flag.

Two questions I have

1. Why is it transparent?

2. They used the wording World Series Champions instead of World Champions. I wonder if Selig ordered this because of the WBC?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060402&content_id=1380871&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Complete coverage (with pictures) on MLB.com. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
04-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I like what the White Sox have done but being old school I think there should be a pennant just below the American flag.

Two questions I have

1. Why is it transparent?

2. They used the wording World Series Champions instead of World Champions. I wonder if Selig ordered this because of the WBC?

I guess that's why I asked about the flags. I thought the Red Sox flag looked awesome and I was hoping we had done the same.

Oh well. The banners are nice. :D:

C-Dawg
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
On TV, while the sun was still up, it was hard to read the banner, was that just a camera thing? Could you read it during daylight?

Actually on TV I thought they looked rigid, like maybe they were printed on plexiglas or maybe perforated sheet metal. I didn't realize they were banners; I'll see for myself tomorrow. :cool:

Fenway
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
I guess that's why I asked about the flags. I thought the Red Sox flag looked awesome and I was hoping we had done the same.

Oh well. The banners are nice. :D:

Of course the banners will be there in years to come. I am curious on how the Red Sox will honor the 2004 team this year.

White Sox may have gotten the banner idea from the Patriots. Indoor teams have done them for years but they are new to baseball and football.

SoxEd
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Daver asked us to please not post Tribune links as they told us to stop. :o:

Wasn't it the Copyrighted photos they wanted us to stop using, as opposed to links to their site?
:?:

That AL Champions Banner looks fine.

The 2005 WS one 'isn't bad' either... :redneck

soxfanaticpaulie
04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I really like the banners. They are much more prominent than the flags. I would like to see the flags still up for old time's sake, though.

Great ceremony, I was tearing up bad, it really took an effort to keep from just plain crying...I'm not going to pretend here.:whiner: All the memories of seasons past, good, bad, and mediocre came rushing back. The feeling I had watching as a child, the feeling that I have watching now. The game is magical to me, the Sox winning it all was a dream realized, and being there for Yesterday's ceremony was an experience I'll never forget, and one I'll be telling my grandchildren about someday.:D:

We stayed until the end of the 6th. I am at work today, and the girlfriend was freezing...so we figured McCarthy could probably hold the 10-3 lead ;)

I can't wait for tomorrow!

GO SOX!:gulp:

SouthSide_HitMen
04-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Wasn't it the Copyrighted photos they wanted us to stop using, as opposed to links to their site?
:?:

Yes you are correct. I deleted this from my post. Sorry.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1042408&postcount=39

batmanZoSo
04-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd say an attractive, sharp-looking 20 foot banner placed over the light standard is a lot better than a plain old white flag with 1906

http://www.cbs.com/specials/back_when_we_were_grownups/bios/bio_jack_palance.jpg
The new banners are ver-y sexy. Don't you think? :cool:

skobabe8
04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
IMO, the pictures of the banners make them look much more transparent than seeing them in person. I'm not sure why, but they look alot better when you're there. I don't think I would like them had I not gone to the game and was just looking at pics on the web.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Being there was amazing. I didn't tear up, but I definitely had a lump in my throat. Seeing the 2005 World Series Championship banner, I think, has finally driven it home. We really did win it all!

The mood in the park was very different this time around. The banners are very awesome. It's about time we got some 1906 recognition!

pearso66
04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
They were transparent in person, but very nice looking. I was unaware that one of them was tearing, I couldn't see it from the UD between home and 3rd.

The Ceremony was great, I was also one of the ones tearing up watching it. The whole winning the World Series really sunk in during the ceremony.

Vernam
04-03-2006, 08:42 PM
In addition to the banners (:thumbsup:), they've hung flags that feature some of the Sox' various logos from throughout the decades. Kind of a nice touch, I think.

Vernam

jdm2662
04-03-2006, 09:02 PM
The whole pre-game ceremony was down right awesome! One of the best displays I've ever been to at a sporting event. I'm so glad I was there.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
The whole pre-game ceremony was down right awesome! One of the best displays I've ever been to at a sporting event. I'm so glad I was there.

I was kind of flabbergasted that so many people were waltzing around buying as many beers as they can hold instead of watching the opening ceremony!

Hmmmm awesome video, banner's being uncovered, once in the lifetime even?

duuuuuhhhh let's get 12 miller lites.

tick53
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I hate to complain, but they need to put some kind of backer behind them.
When the light shine through, you see a lot of light standards. The are awe-
some though. The unvailing brought tears to my eyes.

Vernam
04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I was kind of flabbergasted that so many people were waltzing around buying as many beers as they can hold instead of watching the opening ceremony!

duuuuuhhhh let's get 12 miller lites.Agreed . . . During the post-season, I couldn't believe people's willingness to spend time in line to buy beer, then wait in line a lot more to relieve themselves of it.

Yesterday's ceremony was the most emotional moment for me since the actual victory, which is saying one helluva a lot. :whiner:

Vernam

Erik The Red
04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
The chicagosports.com gallery referring to the park as "Sox Park" is pretty sweet.

WSox8404
04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I love the banners but I really wish they could have kept the flags as well. Both would have been better.

Brian26
04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
It seemed as if the League Champions banner began sheering down the seam on the left side as the storm went on and also ripped just below the 2005 pennant and above the 1919 pennant.

I noticed this too and mentioned it to Salty99. I have a feeling these banners are going to be ripped to shreds in a month or two. The City of Chicago banners that are up on the lightpoles downtown have slits cut in them to let the wind blow through the banners. The banners at the parade and behind the stage had the slits too. It looks like the new Sox banners don't have the wind slits.

samram
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. The White Sox won the World Series and are the World Champions. Oh well, it's a good problem to have.

DeadMoney
04-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I noticed this too and mentioned it to Salty99. I have a feeling these banners are going to be ripped to shreds in a month or two. The City of Chicago banners that are up on the lightpoles downtown have slits cut in them to let the wind blow through the banners. The banners at the parade and behind the stage had the slits too. It looks like the new Sox banners don't have the wind slits.

Here is somewhat of a picture of the slice in the AL Champs banner.

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41a51da2zee16cc74/e84f/__sr_/25e9.jpg?phojYMEB9k1jQx9z

edit: For reference I added the original look (although you can't see much):
http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41a51da2zee16cc74/e84f/__sr_/dcac.jpg?phY7dMEBIlNJfsEB

mike squires
04-04-2006, 12:51 AM

duuuuuhhhh let's get 12 miller lites.

You have to unserstand we are the die hards Yoda. The core of the core. Most fans are not like a large handfull of us on this site. I went to the 5th to next last game at old Comiskey ever with my uncle and cousin (not that close to him) Sox are up but the Red Sox load the bases on Thigpen. What do we do. We leave the game early to beat traffic. I had to listen to 50,00 fans sing NA NA NA NA from outside the park. Unbelievable.

fuzzy_patters
04-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Do you guys know what they did with the old pennants/flags? The reason I ask is because I was one of the people that signed the 2000 Division Championship flag in 2001.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-04-2006, 01:27 AM
You have to unserstand we are the die hards Yoda. The core of the core. Most fans are not like a large handfull of us on this site. I went to the 5th to next last game at old Comiskey ever with my uncle and cousin (not that close to him) Sox are up but the Red Sox load the bases on Thigpen. What do we do. We leave the game early to beat traffic. I had to listen to 50,00 fans sing NA NA NA NA from outside the park. Unbelievable.

I'm just saying....wait in line or watch something that has been a long time coming? Miller Lite will always be there...

Also did anyone find it weird that Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey was not played once?!