PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Wood


Daver
01-18-2002, 01:50 PM
To avoid arbitration

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0118/1313522.html

czalgosz
01-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Wood's a Free Agent after this year, correct? What are the odds that the Trib. Corp. lets him go, claiming that Alou and Sosa are too expensive to justify keeping Wood?

My prediction - Wood will be in Yankee pinstripes for 2003.

cheeses_h_rice
01-18-2002, 02:19 PM
If he leaves the Cubs, there will be pandemonium in Wrigleyville. After all, he is one of only two players 80% of their fans knows.

"That Carrie Woods, he's awesome. Remember when he struck out 39 Astros in 1992?"

MattSharp
01-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Wood IMO is the most overrated SP in the National League. He is young, but look how much he has been hurt. He missed all of '99 with an arm injury, only started 23 in '00 and didn't do too well. His ERA was good last year, but for a guy thats 23, he should average more than 25 starts a season. Hell, Kevin Tapanis is 13 years older than Wood and he started more games last year.

duke of dorwood
01-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Gee, and announcing it at the big convention. Cub hype-nothing compares to it.

Jerry_Manuel
01-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Gee, and announcing it at the big convention. Cub hype-nothing compares to it.

The best part is the fact that Wood isn't even there. He's in Arizona at Mark Grace's wedding. :smile:

doublem23
01-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Wood IMO is the most overrated SP in the National League. He is young, but look how much he has been hurt. He missed all of '99 with an arm injury, only started 23 in '00 and didn't do too well. His ERA was good last year, but for a guy thats 23, he should average more than 25 starts a season. Hell, Kevin Tapanis is 13 years older than Wood and he started more games last year.

No, IMO, the most overrated pitcher in the Majors is Jason Bere. Maybe because I live smack in the middle of Kubbie Kingdom, but the's morons talk about this guy like every other team is upset that they don't have them... ESPECIALLY US! I hate it when they say, "So, I guess the Sox really wish they had Bere, eh?" Of course, my response is, "No, you dumb****."

Vsahajpal
01-18-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Wood's a Free Agent after this year, correct? What are the odds that the Trib. Corp. lets him go, claiming that Alou and Sosa are too expensive to justify keeping Wood?

My prediction - Wood will be in Yankee pinstripes for 2003.

Wood's a free agent after 2003.

I'm not sure how you can say he's overrated. He lead the major leagues in opponents BA (.202) and was top 10 in hits allowed per 9 innings (2nd), strikeouts (4th), strikeouts per 9 innings (2nd), win-loss percentage (10th) and ERA (9th). He's one of the game's top young pitchers

Fisk Fan
01-18-2002, 05:41 PM
I heard Mark Grace's wedding is sponsored by Marlboro....

czalgosz
01-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal


Wood's a free agent after 2003.

I'm not sure how you can say he's overrated. He lead the major leagues in opponents BA (.202) and was top 10 in hits allowed per 9 innings (2nd), strikeouts (4th), strikeouts per 9 innings (2nd), win-loss percentage (10th) and ERA (9th). He's one of the game's top young pitchers

I didn't say that Wood was overrated. Brittle, yes. Overrated, no.

But I thought that one became a free agent after 5 years in the majors - does his missed 1999 not count?

Vsahajpal
01-18-2002, 06:06 PM
It's actually 6 years.

Someone said he was overrated, I was replying to him.

Huisj
01-18-2002, 06:09 PM
anyone remember what someone said in the trib the day after wood struck out 20? I can't remember who it was, but he said the cubs would have to build a new bigger stadium so that by the time wood became a free agent they would have enough money to re-sign him. He'd be shot or fired (or maybe both) if he said that kind of thing now about wrigley not being good enough.

Huisj
01-18-2002, 06:11 PM
er, now that i think about it, maybe it was someone on one of the chicago radio stations who said that, I can't remember now.

MattSharp
01-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


I didn't say that Wood was overrated. Brittle, yes. Overrated, no.

But I thought that one became a free agent after 5 years in the majors - does his missed 1999 not count?

Yea he puts up good numbers when he pitches. But there is no exucse for a 24-year old pitcher to aver 25 starts a year. Thats not an ace.

Vsahajpal
01-18-2002, 06:35 PM
I don't see why # of starts is relevant to his ability. And what does his age have to do with the # of starts he makes? If he's injured, he's not going to pitch. He had a slightly strained rotator cuff, the Cubs did the smart thing and sat him for an entire month. I didn't say he was an ace, he has the ability to become one, there are very few 24 year-old aces in the major leagues. The point is, to call him overrated is illogical.

As for # of starts, Pedro hasn't reached 30 starts at any time over the past 3 years, I'd still say he's an ace.

czalgosz
01-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
It's actually 6 years.

Someone said he was overrated, I was replying to him.

Oh, my bad...