PDA

View Full Version : Cubune Sports Editor fired

Nellsin
01-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Michael Miner, writing in today's Chicago Reader, offers the following take on the imminent departure of John Cherwa, the Trib's asst. managing editor for sports:

1. The last straw was Cherwa telling Chicago magazine last September, "I wish that my reporters had the fire in their belly that a lot of the Sun-Times reporters do. Without them, my reporters, God love them, would be even more lethargic than they are now."

2. The resignations over the past couple years of Lincicome, Bayless and Holly (the one who went back to Boston) hurt too.

3. Cherwa will coordinate the Trib Olympic coverage from Salt Lake City; then his future is uncertain. His replacement is Dan McGrath, his current no. 2.

4. In response to a survey last summer by the Columbia Journalism Review about morale in the nation's newsrooms, Cherwa's wish was to see "staffing levels increased with company profits so as to make it seem we all have the same goals." Miner comments that this "couldn't have endeared [Cherwa] to his bosses." (Ya think?)

rmusacch
01-18-2002, 01:36 PM
When I saw your headline, I thought you meant this ******* had been fired. :knue

Daver
01-18-2002, 01:41 PM
:knue

They can't fire me,I have pictures.

Nellsin
01-18-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
When I saw your headline, I thought you meant this ******* had been fired. :knue

Sorry, I didn't intend the headline to fake anyone out.

bc2k
01-20-2002, 05:08 AM
the departures of lincicome and bayless were pluses to the paper. Holly was a huge blow though. I actually liked what that man had to say. rick morissey is terrible. Every column of his is a metaphore for this and that. He likens something of today to some very unfunny joke. He sucks worse than royce clayton. He is not a comedian so i wish he would stop with the jokes, he isn't a sportswriter so i wish he would stop with the sportswriting. rick morissey, you suck!

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2002, 10:08 AM
So why does Scumbagotti have a job??
Oh yeah,he works for the other paper!!

:moron

"The sCrUBbieS rule.The Sox suck.So does Reinsdorf.The Bears suck,too.I've been here 11 years.I know everything about this friggin'city.I'm right,you're always wrong,and that's that".