PDA

View Full Version : Impact on Baseball of the Meth Ban

SluggersAway
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Interesting article on the use and abuse of greenies in baseball and what may happen next:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/01/sports/baseball/01greenies.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/01/sports/baseball/01greenies.html)

Lots of coffee, energy drinks, No-Doz, and one player even suggests raising the size of the roster to 30.

But, the penalty if caught the first time is a slap on the wrist and the testing is not quite rigorous so I'm sure we haven't seen the last of greenies in baseball.

Scottiehaswheels
04-01-2006, 09:48 PM
"Thomas was one of several players who said the teams with the most depth would benefit from a world without amphetamines because players are going to need more games off."

Kenny ahead of the curve yet again...

"Guys will always find something," Leiter said. "Even if they have to go to the local truck stop to get some No-Doz, they'll find something to get them through." Hilarious... I can just see A-Rod or some other MLB guy walkin in to a truck stop at like 3AM after a night of drinking... I'm sure the team equipment managers will have piles of that stuff on hand though

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2006, 03:35 AM
Methamphetamine and amphetamines are not the same thing. While I'm sure that meth should be banned in baseball, this is not a meth ban.

SluggersAway
04-02-2006, 12:02 PM
The difference between amphetamine and methamphetamine is the addition of a single methyl group (CH3) to the amino group sticking off the middle carbon atom in the chain.

The addition of this single carbon atom and three nitrogens only slightly alters the effect, duration, and potency.

DumpJerry
04-02-2006, 12:29 PM
The difference between amphetamine and methamphetamine is the addition of a single methyl group (CH3) to the amino group sticking off the middle carbon atom in the chain.

The addition of this single carbon atom and three nitrogens only slightly alters the effect, duration, and potency.
Ok, this invites a sarcastic comment along the lines of "of course. We all know this." but I'm too excited about OD to get sarcastic.:D:

SluggersAway should get the title "WSI Chemist"

SoLongFrank
04-02-2006, 12:56 PM
You do realize that Meth no longer stands for methamphetamine today. Just listen to any rap song & it's taken on a whole new meaning.

Ol' No. 2
04-02-2006, 01:50 PM

The addition of this single carbon atom and three nitrogens only slightly alters the effect, duration, and potency.That little methyl group does a lot more than "slightly" altering the effects. Meth is a sudden rush. It would be useless for the purposes amphetamines are used for.

SOXintheBURGH
04-02-2006, 01:51 PM
You do realize that Meth no longer stands for methamphetamine today. Just listen to any rap song & it's taken on a whole new meaning.

Crystal Meth?

TaylorStSox
04-02-2006, 02:45 PM

Ummm... "Meth" is a reference to Method Man. :?: