PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee To Cubs Deal Imminent???

DickAllen72
04-01-2006, 11:19 AM
According to everyone's favorite website.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

MarySwiss
04-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Man, I cannot wait until April Fools Day ends! You can't tell what to believe, but I would think the Brewers would not want to trade Carlos to a team in their own division.

Cuck the Fubs
04-01-2006, 11:26 AM
That's GOT to be a joke.....

Lee is a stud, but you don't give up 3 guys with big upsides for a guy in his last year of his contract.

DickAllen72
04-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Man, I cannot wait until April Fools Day ends! You can't tell what to believe, but I would think the Brewers would not want to trade Carlos to a team in their own division.

I'm with you, Mary!

Beer Can Chicken
04-01-2006, 11:37 AM
If the Brewers were trading Carlos Lee, they would have done so already. They'll keep him until the trading deadline, if they are in contention he'll stay. If they are out of it, he'll go.

Hangar18
04-01-2006, 11:56 AM
If the Brewers were trading Carlos Lee, they would have done so already. They'll keep him until the trading deadline.........
If they are out of it, he'll go.

First rule of Major League Baseball. NEVER, EVER NEVER trade within your own division. (Pirates, pay attention). They will be out of it, and if they are the dumb franchise I think they are, the Cubs will be first in line, hat in hand, digging thru the dumpster

samram
04-01-2006, 11:56 AM
So the Cubs would give up two more pitching prospects when they can't keep their own starters healthy as well as a young, cheap player who looks like a pretty good hitter for a guy who will be looking for around $9-$10 million after this season?

Wow, I just put way too much thought into thinking why a rumor from that site is wrong.

palehozenychicty
04-01-2006, 11:57 AM
If the Brewers were trading Carlos Lee, they would have done so already. They'll keep him until the trading deadline, if they are in contention he'll stay. If they are out of it, he'll go.

Exactly.

California Sox
04-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Remember earlier in the year when the Cubs wouldn't give up Rich Hill for Tejada? As if Rich Hill were ever anything but a AAAA starter or second lefthander out of the pen. I think the Cubs have figured out
Sean Marshall >>>>> Rich Hill.

Probably bogus rumor, but here's the one thing that makes it plausible: Brewers have a lot of young hitters but they don't have much organizational pitching depth. With Maddux as pitching coach they've got a hell of a shot of turning any decent arms into reasonable major leaguers (Chris Capuano anyone?) but they lack the raw material.

That said, why the Brewers would dream of trading a middle of the order run producer to a team not only in their division, but one that competes with them for fans in their home market is completely beyond me.

TheOldRoman
04-01-2006, 01:15 PM
First rule of Major League Baseball. NEVER, EVER NEVER trade within your own division. (Pirates, pay attention). They will be out of it, and if they are the dumb franchise I think they are, the Cubs will be first in line, hat in hand, digging thru the dumpster
Whether or not they trade Lee to the Cubs (which there is no chance in hell of happening), the Brewers will finish ahead of the Cubs. I know they are part of your irrational circle of hatred due to their former owner, but you need to realize that the Brewers have A LOT of young talent on that team. You are still treating the Brewers like they are a 90 loss team. They arent. They won 81 last year with Sheets on the shelf most of the time. Their kids will mature and produce even better than in 05. They may not overtake the Cards until next year, but they sure as hell are better than the Cubs. Let your paranoia rest.

Scottiehaswheels
04-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Could this be part of the effect of the Sox winning the series? Pushin the Scrubs into must win now mode while screwing their future? They're gonna be like the Yank's of the 90's sans titles...

beckett21
04-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Not happening.

Half Cocked Jack
04-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Seems unlikely to me. As pointed out, the Brewers should hang on to Lee until at least midseason, and why trade within the division?

CLR01
04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Why does MLBtraderumors keep getting used as a source here? Have they accurately predicted anything this off season?

kittle42
04-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Why does MLBtraderumors keep getting used as a source here? Have they accurately predicted anything this off season?
THANK YOU.

buehrle4cy05
04-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Why does MLBtraderumors keep getting used as a source here? Have they accurately predicted anything ever?
Fixed it for you.

Jjav829
04-01-2006, 03:17 PM
It's just a lame April Fools Day joke. Then again, with that site, you could say that everything on it is an April Fools Day joke...even in August.

bigfoot
04-01-2006, 04:25 PM
[quote=California Sox]Remember earlier in the year when the Cubs wouldn't give up Rich Hill for Tejada? As if Rich Hill were ever anything but a AAAA starter or second lefthander out of the pen. I think the Cubs have figured out
Sean Marshall >>>>> Rich Hill.

Probably bogus rumor, but here's the one thing that makes it plausible: Brewers have a lot of young hitters but they don't have much organizational pitching depth. With Maddux as pitching coach they've got a hell of a shot of turning any decent arms into reasonable major leaguers (Chris Capuano anyone?) but they lack the raw material.

Hopefully a bogus April 1 joke, besides if you were Mike Maddux would you be looking to the Cubs farm system to plant the seeds of your next generation of pitchers? Simulated seeds????

TDog
04-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Maybe if the Brewers could first acquire the other Carlos Lee and deal him to the Cubs, such a deal would be worth making in your own division.

Tragg
04-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Long term, it's a good trade for the Brewers. Lee has 1 year left on his contract, Hill is a promising young pitcher and I think that Murton will be a good ML player (just my evaluation - he certainly hasn't proven anything). But it wouldn't be positive this year and the Brewers COULD have enough to make the playoffs right now.

Captian Ron
04-02-2006, 11:25 AM
:whocares

SoLongFrank
04-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't want the notorious Cub-Killa joining the enemy. Any one but the Cub.
Garrett Anderson has become a big ? mark for the Angels. Maybe C Lee goes there.

soxinem1
04-02-2006, 11:55 AM
So the Cubs would give up two more pitching prospects when they can't keep their own starters healthy as well as a young, cheap player who looks like a pretty good hitter for a guy who will be looking for around $9-$10 million after this season?

Wow, I just put way too much thought into thinking why a rumor from that site is wrong.

Of course they want him, and I would not be suprised if the rumor were true, at least regarding the cubs efforts to get him. With the Sox and the Brewers he has killed them. They probably figure since the Brewers may finish higher thn them this season anyway, they might as well take a guy off their hands who will not be in Milwaukee for the 2007 season anyway.

ondafarm
04-02-2006, 12:17 PM
The Cubs probably want Carlos Lee and he probably wants to return to Chicago, he does seem to enjoy hitting in Wrigley. But since he is in last year of a contract and it seems the Brewers are making a run (well, sort of) this year, I doubt they will move him.

The Cubs, should they have an ounce of brains in their organization (open question) would wait until next year and then sign him straight away as a free agent at zero organization cost. They need to keep all their pitching prospects.

Jjav829
04-02-2006, 12:20 PM
And for those dense enough to not get the April Fools joke, the dumbass who runs that site has admitted it was an April Fools joke. Not like that should make a difference since everything is a joke on that site.

SoLongFrank
04-02-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't think it should be a foregone conclusion that the Brewer's won't attempt to re-sign Lee. Lee had signed reasonable deals with Kenny & price/performance he was still a good value in 2005. He's expected to be good value in 2006.

I think if Lee is instrumental in helping the Brewer's get to the post-season they'll make every effort to keep him. Since he's been in Milw all the press & comments have been nothing but praiseworthy. He seems to genuinely like the fans, the team, & the city there.

Deep down inside I think Lee really enjoys beating the Cubs. That's always a good selling point ;)

chuckn98229
04-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Since every ball player at every level would do anything to play for the cubs, you could insert any ball player's name you want in this thread's title.

CLR01
04-02-2006, 01:37 PM
And for those dense enough to not get the April Fools joke, the dumbass who runs that site has admitted it was an April Fools joke. Not like that should make a difference since everything is a joke on that site.

Yeah, its just another day at the office for that guy. If he really wants to pull of an April Fools prank next year he should try to get something right. That would really throw everyone off.

Brian26
04-02-2006, 03:14 PM
And for those dense enough to not get the April Fools joke, the dumbass who runs that site has admitted it was an April Fools joke.

You mean the guy that lives in an apartment across the street from the Yorktown mall and gets his rumors from Kap and Waddell on the radio everynight?