PDA

View Full Version : 40-man roster: pretty thin

A. Cavatica
04-01-2006, 12:02 PM
I was looking at the 40-man roster (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cws), wondering how we'll fill it out. There are only 34 players on the roster as of this morning, including 11 pitchers we're taking north and 4 who didn't make it (Haeger, Reynoso, Tracey, Tucker). Chris Stewart is the only extra catcher; the extra infielders are Getz, Lopez, and Rogo; and the only extra outfielder is Owens.

So who's missing? Logan (who of course made the team), any of the NRI pitchers (Almanza, Bentz, Javier Lopez, Montero, Nomo, Nunez, Randolph, Redding) that we decide to hang on to, and real prospects (Broadway, Fields, Liotta, Lumsden, Sweeney, Valido) if we need to protect them. Maybe a Blakely or a Grieve or a Hummel or a Munoz or a Phillips to fill things out.

I believe the Sox would not hesitate to call up Owens if an injury struck, and we have so much infield depth that they would never call up Lopez or Rogo, but what would happen if something happened to A.J. or Widge? I don't think Stewart is ready for anything more than a cup of coffee. Nor is Molina.

I'm surprised Getz is on the 40-man. He doesn't need to be yet, does he? And there's no conceivable way he'll get a callup in 2006.

As for the pitchers on the 40-man, Haeger has the highest upside. He's three years younger than the other guys and he got the start in Atlanta last night. If he pitches well at Charlotte he could get a chance in long relief. Of course, any of these guys would need to pitch really well at Charlotte to see time with the big club this year.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of Tracey. He's already 25, and he doesn't have the excuse of being converted from another position (like Reynoso) or the advantage of being lefty. He may hang around the fringe for a year or two but I fully expect him to be traded like Bajenaru.

I figure Fields, Liotta, Logan, Sweeney, and Valido need to be added. Javier Lopez had a great spring, and Redding was pretty good, so I hope they're added. But that puts the roster at 41, and we still need to find an emergency catcher by trade or waiver.

Thoughts?

chaerulez
04-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I don't think prospects need to be Rule 5 protected until they've been in the minors for four years. With that said I think you bring up a point that we might not enough spots to protect a lot of the players that have been in the system for a while. I guess that's just what we have to deal with because we have a good farm system.

California Sox
04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Fields, Liotta, Lumsden, Lucy, Valido, and Sweeney all need to be protected at the end of this year. (I'm not sure about Hernandez) Is Getz really on the roster? That makes no sense. Why would they burn an option on him?

Position player-wise we're deeper at AAA than we have been in a while. You're right that if a catcher goes down, we're in trouble (at least offensively) but Sweeney is close to ready in the OF (I'm not a huge believer in Owens) and Valido could handle SS defensively in the majors right now. My biggest concern is a RHP who could come up and supplement the bullpen. I don't think we have anyone like that. Tracey is probably first in line, but I have my doubts. Good arm, lacks command.

ondafarm
04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't think we are particularly thin in comparison to other teams. How many teams have the next generation of everything completely locked up. The only time 40 man rosters are totally filled up is when there is an expansion draft coming.

KRS1
04-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Getz in on the 40-man because he is a matured ball player, who can fill an emergency need immediately because of his experience and outstanding defense(kind of like Pedro). He doesnt have much to lose in ways of experience should he be called up, compared to Valido(who could stand to develop and hone his skills as a 20 year old in AA) he has had much more experience against top competition. It may have been better to wait until the case of emergency came to put him on the roster, but it wont hurt us in the least.

About the 41 potential spots thing, I dont see it coming to that as IMO by next season we will have better options than Lopez and Redding (Paulino, Corwin, Tucker, and Tracey) for their respective roles. This season they can be put on their if need be without cause for concern as the minors guys you listed dont need to be added until after the year.

Also, I dont know if Redding has accepted our minor league option on him yet or claimed FA. I dont see who would need him bad enough to warrant a 25 man spot in the majors, and he may se us as his best opportunity right now. I'm sure him and his agent are listening right now with open ears, but doubt he gets a major league deal elsewhere.

A. Cavatica
04-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Getz in on the 40-man because he is a matured ball player, who can fill an emergency need immediately

But there will be no emergency need. After Iguchi, we have Ozuna and Cintron and Mackowiak. And Pedro Lopez is a defensive wizard. Getz is not a utilityman candidate, he's just a 2B.

by next season we will have better options than Lopez and Redding (Paulino, Corwin, Tucker, and Tracey) for their respective roles.

Paulino, Corwin, Tucker, and Tracey are not as good as Lopez and Redding. And none is a youngster. I don't see the need for any of the four to be on the 40-man this season or next, frankly.

KRS1
04-01-2006, 03:44 PM
But there will be no emergency need. After Iguchi, we have Ozuna and Cintron and Mackowiak. And Pedro Lopez is a defensive wizard. Getz is not a utilityman candidate, he's just a 2B.

Paulino, Corwin, Tucker, and Tracey are not as good as Lopez and Redding. And none is a youngster. I don't see the need for any of the four to be on the 40-man this season or next, frankly.

Getz IS an utility candidate as he can play 2b, SS, and 3b(an article on milb.com says he can also play CF). His first option to make the club may very well be as such, even though he deserves a shot to stick as an everyday player. He should play a vast majority of his games at 2b this year, but could also see time around the diamond once and a while.

The second is your opinion, I disagree completely. I have not liked Lopez since the day I first saw him pitch here with the D-backs, and personally think he sucks. Redding has never been spectacular and his only advantage now is experience. Again, I said come next year these guys will be much better options than those two, and having watched all of them I'm not going to back off that stance. Tucker was a lock to make SD's BP before his surgery, and while nothing is a given after TJ, but I would bet he puts himself back in contention for that role with another healthy season and his suff returning. Paulino has some of the best stuff of any pitcher in our system, and with another year as a pitcher I expect him to hone his skills and shine. We all know Corwin's story, and how good he can be when completely healthy, and Tracey is one of my favorite players in our system(watching him this spring has only increased my love for the guy).

California Sox
04-01-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm willing to be convinced on Tracey. Is he going to be used out of the 'pen in Charlotte? Or are they going to put him in the rotation? I love his stuff. Great movement. But when I've seen him he hasn't had the best body control and tends to get pretty wild. Has that gotten better this spring? (He had a weird outing today: 2 bbs hbp wp 2k. Hey, he made the pitches when he needed to.)

I believe sooner or later we're going to add another RHP to the bullpen and Tracey > Redding the way both are throwing right now. I'm concerned that Tracey's never going to throw enough strikes to be even semi-reliable.

A. Cavatica
04-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Like CalSox, I'm willing to be convinced about Tracey. But Tracey's 25 and is not yet a major league pitcher. Redding has been one, and until Tracey posts some superior results, you've got to go with the experience. (Note: the two pitched about the same amount this spring, with very similar results.)

Javier Lopez has sixteen strikeouts and only three walks this spring. He's performed the best of all the NRI pitchers, excepting Logan.

KRS1
04-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Like CalSox, I'm willing to be convinced about Tracey. But Tracey's 25 and is not yet a major league pitcher. Redding has been one, and until Tracey posts some superior results, you've got to go with the experience. (Note: the two pitched about the same amount this spring, with very similar results.)

Javier Lopez has sixteen strikeouts and only three walks this spring. He's performed the best of all the NRI pitchers, excepting Logan.

All very good points, just that I dont like to make players better because of experience, when that experience was met with mediocre results. The guys I mentioned from our system are all around 25, and while that's not young, it's not like their careers are over because they didnt make the roster by 22. You have to factor in that Tracey was drafted at nearly 22, and Paulino was signed as a first baseman when you get to their ages. You also have to factor in both Tucker's and Malone's injuries. No none are "spring chickens", but they all still have very good arms and stuff, control has been an issue with each, but the same goes for Lopez and Redding. Despite his poor walk total this spring Paulino was really attacking the strike zone agressively for the most part, and he flashed a 95mph heater with good movement his last outing with us which is really encouraging.

rdivaldi
04-03-2006, 04:22 AM
I have been a huge critic of Tracey for the past 2 years due to his mechanics, which were extremely "funky". But I swear up and down that he's throwing differently this year. His motion was much more compact during ST, thus allowing him to repeat the same throwing motion over and over again. The result was his throwing many more strikes early and often. I have new found optimism for the guy.