PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/1/06

Hangar18
04-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Kerry Wood threw batting practice. And that pretty much sums up the excitement in Chicago Sports as Kerry got his own story for this accomplishment. Bravo to the hardworking Journalists over at the Trib for this story.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, its first title in 88 years, and being only the 5th team in mlb history to lead from wire-to-wire, The White Sox inexplicably find themselves behind in Media Attention as compared to the Cubs, who finished in 4th place, way far out of the playoffs, and having won nothing of significance since Roosevelt was President of the United States
and having ZERO 90-win seasons since 1990 (Sox by comparison have 4)
Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
1 cub story
1 sox story
Standings as of Saturday 4/1/06
Priviledged, Media-owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005.... Cubs 146
Underdog, Media-maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005.. Sox 138

MadetoOrta
04-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Keep it up Hangar! Never give in. Keep the pressure on those mopes.

zmz723
04-01-2006, 02:59 PM
good work

chuckn98229
04-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks for shining a bright light on these journalist cockroaches. It is very amusing to watch them squirm and hear them scream in protest when accused of being biased. It is unfortunate that they have jettisoned what little integrity they had to kiss the corporate rear.

SOXSINCE'70
04-01-2006, 03:27 PM
good work

Your signature says "Just say no to Murph".
Hell,just say no to terrestrial radio!!:angry:

rainbow6
04-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I can't help but pile on here...

I was barely listening to AM1000 this morning, but everytime I did, I heard Bruce Levine make a fool of himself. Here are some excerpts:

1. The White Sox have a rotation consisting of five "number three" starters. He said Buerhle may be considered a number two. I haven't done the Algebra, but I imagine there are several teams that Buerhle, Garcia and Contreras would nicely fill the number one slot...

Who are some of your #1's Bruce?

Roger Clemens?
Andy Pettitte?
Roy Oswalt?

Fool.

2. After interviewing Jim Hendry for seven hours, Levine gushed how refreshing it was to finally be able to cover both sides of town equally now that the Sox are no longer on the station. I nearly did a spit-take with my coffee...Let's see, the World Champions are hosting baseball's opening night this weekend, they just signed one of their top pitchers to a contract extension, and the radio airwaves are polluted with the droning voice of Jim Hendry mumbling about Derrek Lee's contract and the fascinating 2nd base debate. And afterward, the host tells us that we aint seen nothing yet - "It's gonna be this way ALL summer!"

Compelling radio.

3. Of course, during the prediction segment at the end of the show, Levine picked the Sox.

Just kidding. He picked the Indians. You know why? Because he's worried about the White Sox bullpen. You know, because we lost Howry and our closer weighs 300 pounds. No, that's Cleveland. Except the closer part. That's us. And Cleveland to, I guess.

What the hell am I taking about?
Luke

MUsoxfan
04-01-2006, 04:22 PM
1. The White Sox have a rotation consisting of five "number three" starters. He said Buerhle may be considered a number two.

You're a moron. No All-Star Game starter can be a #1 on any team. ALL HAIL LEVINE!

chisoxfanatic
04-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Who are some of your #1's Bruce?

Roger Clemens?
Andy Pettitte?
Roy Oswalt?

IIRC, we beat all three of them in the World Series last season! Meanwhile, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and Contreras were pitching their asses off all October. That's why we went 11-1 in the post season. I'd say Buehrle is a legit #1, while Garcia and Contreras are legit #2s. Garland is a legit #3 on most teams. This rotation is stacked, my friends!

TDog
04-01-2006, 05:21 PM

1. The White Sox have a rotation consisting of five "number three" starters. He said Buerhle may be considered a number two. I haven't done the Algebra, but I imagine there are several teams that Buerhle, Garcia and Contreras would nicely fill the number one slot...

There has been a dumbing-down of fans by sports "journalists" who use such shorthand as "No. 1" or "No.2 starter." Is there any team that would use Buerhle as its No. 3 starter? I don't see it happening in the American. League. Or the National League. Not this April.

In fact, have you taken a look at what sort of "No. 1 starters" many teams are throwing in their openers? The White Sox may have a rotation of No. 3 starters, if your fantasy perspective has the dead arm of Sandy Koufax re-animated and cloned on onto the right side of three Cubs starters. If that's the case, you need a serious visit to the real world before you start evaluating starting rotations on the radio.

SoLongFrank
04-01-2006, 09:20 PM
That is a ridiculous statement. Being a #1 is a function of consistency, durability, & performance. Where does he think Buerhle ranks when considering all 3?

I agree that wins is a bad stat to judge the effectiveness of a starter because a starter can't win if his team doesn't score early. But losses/starts is a good measure of all 3 categories (consistency, durability, & performance).

Let's look at the White sox rotation here:
Vazquez 93/256 = 36.33%
Garcia 62/218 = 28.44%
Buehrle 53/172 = 30.81%
Garland 61/159 = 38.36%
Contreras 18/72 = 25%

Rotation Avg: 57/175 = 32.8%

Now I'd like to see them produce any other team in the league close to that. The A's & Tribe might produce a better avg but it won't have close to 150 starts under it's belt.

On paper, if their career losing avg's hold the White Sox figure to win 109 games.

Scottiehaswheels
04-01-2006, 09:25 PM
On paper, if their career losing avg's hold the White Sox figure to win 109 games.

I like that part but what in god's name does the rest of that crap mean?

SoLongFrank
04-02-2006, 12:11 AM
This might help. To get a rotation's winning effort take the team wins & add the bullpen losses.

2005 White Sox : 99 wins + 19 pen losses = 118 winning effort.
2005 Twins : 83 wins + 26 pen losses = 109 winning effort.
2005 Tribe : 93 wins + 13 pen losses = 106 winning effort.
2005 Tigers : 71 wins + 24 pen losses = 95 winning effort.

The White Sox rotation experienced career years by some that led to +9 winning effort. The 2006 rotation figures to produce a 109 wining effort.

But the pen had dead weight in Adkins, Shingo, Marte, & Walker that accounted for 13 of the 19 losses. Logan is expected to perform better than them & eat up their innings. Thorton & McCarthy are expected to perform better than Viscaino & Hermy. If Hermy returns that will act like a late season trade. Logan should be able to cut those 13 loses in 1/2. That puts the White Sox at 12 losses. Figure 25% attrition for the closer situation & such. That puts them at 15 losses.

The White Sox should be good for at least 94 wins.

For the Twins Radke & Lohse combined for 25 loses. Silva & Santana combined for 15 loses. Baker is promising but he has 54 ip over 9 starts for his major league resume. Nine starts is nothing. Vazquez can look like the most dominating pitcher in the league over 9 starts. I think 15 losses should be expected from their 5th starter. That drops their winning effort to 107.

Is there any reason to believe their pen will improve? Rincon, Nathan, Crain, & Guerrier combined for 18 losses. They're back. Romero & Mullholland are gone. That's 116 ip to be made up from guys who had worse era's. The best odds put their pen at 23 losses.

The Twins should be good for at least 84 wins.

For the Tribe Byrd & Johnson replace Elarton & Milwood. Gone from the pen are Howry, Riske, Rhodes. Added to the pen is Mota. Overall they should be able to replace the production of Howry & Riske but will fall short in replacing Rhodes. Figure at least 3 more loses by their pen. As for their rotation Elarton was surprisingly good at producing winning efforts last year. Byrd & Johnson figure to add 3 more losses to their rotation.

The Tribe should be good for 87 wins.

The White Sox should run away with the division.

Realist
04-02-2006, 05:20 AM
The White Sox should run away with the division.

http://www.badtasteadvertising.com/images/crap/propellerhat.jpg
I like the way you think!

maurice
04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
He picked the Indians. You know why? Because he's worried about the White Sox bullpen. You know, because we lost Howry and our closer weighs 300 pounds. No, that's Cleveland. Except the closer part. That's us. And Cleveland to, I guess.

So far, he looks like a genius.

Sox bullpen: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 1.80 ERA, 1 W, 0 L
Tribe bullpen: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 8 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 11.18 ERA, 0 W, 1 L