PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't KW used Schu's old strategy?

chisoxt
01-18-2002, 05:54 AM
With the Cub signing of Andy Benes, I am reminded by the strategy the Ron Schueler often employed - signing guys off of the scrap pile for the minimum and hoping that they pan out, and if not, nothing ventured, nothing lost. (Remember that MacPhail did this effectively last year with the signings of Jason bere, Flash Gordon and Jeff Fasserro reaping dividends.)

I believe that this is a very reasonable way to approach the free agent market in order to improving a club that is on a limited budget.

Why hasn't this been a tactic used by our own GM? It seems as though KW isn't comfortable about a player transaction unless it is a trade. Can you not tell me that Terry Adams, who signed with Philly for a lousy one-year deal with club options for additonal years, couldn't have helped the Sox? It occurs to me that there are some reletively good bargains out on the free-agent market now. Wouldn't it be better to go that route than to over pay in a trade??

duke of dorwood
01-18-2002, 08:00 AM
Shu made a millionaire out of Ellis Burks resurrecting his career. Those risks he took and the Cubs take NEVER seem to cost us players. Our GM is hell bent on giving up talent to take risks and will run this organization into the ground that way.

:KW

Something wrong with my ground game?

RichH55
01-18-2002, 08:05 AM
KW has also added guys who were essentially on the scrap heap...Kohlmeaier(? sic) off of Balitimore, Jacquez off of Philly, the Gary Glover deal was a page right out of the Scheuler playbook(but still a trade), Ramirez was a nothing ventured, nothing gained sort, Simmons was signed off the scrap heap(and to make the Toronto deal seem even more dubious:) ), and my mind can't come up with anymore.....That being said I still think KW should take more non-risk chances...c'est la vie

RichH55
01-18-2002, 08:27 AM
Here's another guy KW is taking a shot on, Sager

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/sager0114.html

ball state aaron
01-18-2002, 01:36 PM
i think i remember kw taking a chance on this older guy who was playing for the newark bears last year. i think his name was jose. can anyone confirm? (sorry, i don't know the sarcasm color)

Daver
01-18-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ball state aaron
(sorry, i don't know the sarcasm color)

The answer would be teal .

Paulwny
01-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by daver

The answer would be teal .

Please no more color posts. I didn't know what teal was till I saw it here.

FarWestChicago
01-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Please no more color posts. I didn't know what teal was till I saw it here. Paul, how can we do sarcasm without teal? Teal prevents brawls. You can indicate sarcasm. :smile:

chisoxt
01-18-2002, 03:21 PM
i think i remember kw taking a chance on this older guy who was playing for the newark bears last year. i think his name was jose. can anyone confirm? (sorry, i don't know the sarcasm color

How about improving the club before the season, and before the team is 10 games out of first place.

guillen4life13
01-18-2002, 11:00 PM
whether you like him or not, Jose Canseco was a plus on this White Sox team. He was no Frank Thomas, but he was better than the alternatives (Liefer, Baines, etc.). He gave us some pop, and I'm sure you all went to at least a game last season when he was there. The crowd of around 25,000 sounded like a sold out stadium when he got an AB. He was a regular with signing autographs, and was the only one along with Foulke who was almost a sure thing to get an autograph from. The kids loved him, as did a vast majority of the fans. I don't understand why everyone bashes him in these boards.

BTW, here's a story. At one of the games I went to, some guy tried to pick a fight with Keith Foulke because he accidentally skipped his kid. The guy was furious, and Foulke had the security officer throw him out. Just thought it'd be interesting to read, although not important.

Paulwny
01-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Paul, how can we do sarcasm without teal? Teal prevents brawls. You can indicate sarcasm. :smile:

I need to go shopping more often with my wife. When she says "Do you think the new drapes should be azure, fuchsia, or teal?, I have no idea what the colors look like.

kermittheefrog
01-19-2002, 01:30 PM
I think the Terry Adams thing was a good example. Is he really a worse risk in the rotation then Todd Ritchie? I'd say no but the Phils just have to pay Adams for this year, not even gaurenteed next year. We have to pay Ritchie and we gave up players for him, someone beat the **** out of Kenny Williams.

Jerry_Manuel
01-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think the Terry Adams thing was a good example. Is he really a worse risk in the rotation then Todd Ritchie? I'd say no but the Phils just have to pay Adams for this year, not even gaurenteed next year. We have to pay Ritchie and we gave up players for him, someone beat the **** out of Kenny Williams.

Quick, someone call Dan Evans and tell him he's needed back in Chicago.

bringbackrobin
01-19-2002, 03:02 PM
That's what's great about Dan Evans. However bad KW might be, we will always know that it could have been much worse. Evans is making the Dodgers into the laughingstock of the league with his idiotic trades. Sheffield for Jordan and a failed prospect? Prokopec for Quantrill? It must suck to be a Dodgers fan right now.

RichH55
01-20-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
That's what's great about Dan Evans. However bad KW might be, we will always know that it could have been much worse. Evans is making the Dodgers into the laughingstock of the league with his idiotic trades. Sheffield for Jordan and a failed prospect? Prokopec for Quantrill? It must suck to be a Dodgers fan right now.

Thats why the Gagne rumor makes so much sense...Howry keeps getting linked to LA and I'm thinking their is a reason...>Evans came here for JB and to a lesser extent for Christensen, and it makes sense since he has a lot of familarity with the Sox organization....and putting Clayton in there suits out needs(addition by subtraction) and gives the Dodgers an SS who is better than Cora and will be gone when their youngster of the moment is ready to go

bc2k
01-20-2002, 03:20 AM
I agree with you chisoxt. I hate to admit it, but mcphail is doing a nice job. I love his thinking of how to improve his team. He says "Who on the free agent market can improve this team?" Ken Williams says, "Who can I trade to improve this team?" KW says he has to makes trades b/c the team cannot afford playing the free agent game. Well the Cubs aren't big spenders either, and they have a GM who is aquiring men in free agency while protecting the young prospects. I love what he is doing and wish we had the same philosophy.

bc2k
01-20-2002, 03:25 AM
I don't want everyone to get me wrong, picking up some chances here and there are welcome by me, but I cant stand signing a bunch of chances in one year hoping they all turn out. Like a year ago when McPhail got all those risk players. That isn't building a winner, it shows fans that you want to become mediocre. The odds of all of the risk players panning out are slim and mcphail got lucky--last year at least. Sign a Benes, sign a Canseco, just dont depend on these types of players to make up the majority of the team.