PDA

View Full Version : 3 Flags on Sunday Night?

Born SoxFan 1962
03-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if they will raise flags for the Division and League Championships in addition to the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FLAG on Sunday night?

Corlose 15
03-31-2006, 09:29 PM
I would assume that they just raise one flag. Since you won the WS you'd have to win the division and pennant first. However, this is the first time the Sox have won more than one championship in a season. But my guess would be just one flag.

chisoxmike
03-31-2006, 09:40 PM
From my understanding there will be a world series champions flag and banners for the AL Central Divison, AL Championship, and World Series Championship on the light posts. I could be wrong. Maybe someone WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS are not pure speculation could tell us.

Scottiehaswheels
03-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Maybe they should unveil a flag a day... just to demoralize the indians some more... W.S. flag on Sunday, ALCS Tuesday, ALDS when we go for the sweep?

dickallen15
03-31-2006, 09:43 PM
There are banners on 4 light standards as of today. The are flying some new flags in CF, one with the Sox emblem for 1906, and one looks like 1959.

thomas35forever
03-31-2006, 11:34 PM
There should only be one flag. This ain't basketball or hockey. You don't need multiple banners to fill up your rafters. We only have flagpoles. It probably all depends on space and the park design.

TDog
03-31-2006, 11:43 PM
From my understanding there will be a world series champions flag and banners for the AL Central Divison, AL Championship, and World Series Championship on the light posts. I could be wrong. Maybe someone WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS are not pure speculation could tell us.

I don't actually know, and might be accused of speculating, but I don't recall seeing separate AL Championship banners for 1906 (when the banner was waving a couple of years ago) and 1917. AL Central and West banners fly for years the Sox haven't gone farther. The White Sox never before 2005 advanced to an AL championship after winning their division, of course. I don't know if the division is something to celebrate now when the league wasn't something to celebrate earlier. I can only conclude from the absence of AL banners for World Series championship years means only one flag will mark 2005.

I remember when the 1993 divisional flag was raised on opening day in 1994. That was cool. It was raised, not by the league's MVP. It was raised by the player who had been with the team the longest, the team's shortshop, Oswaldo Guillen.

Born SoxFan 1962
03-31-2006, 11:44 PM
The reason I asked is I heard Bill Melton on AM1000 Tuesday night mention three flags and it sounded strange to me at the time but I started to think about it and with no experience in modern times to fall back on, it started to sound pretty good. I guess just one that has: "WORLD CHAMPIONS" on it pretty much says it all.:supernana:

Etownsox13
03-31-2006, 11:53 PM
I would assume that they just raise one flag. Since you won the WS you'd have to win the division and pennant first. However, this is the first time the Sox have won more than one championship in a season. But my guess would be just one flag.

Now you don't HAVE to win the division to win the world series

TDog
04-01-2006, 12:09 AM

I haven't noticed if the Cubs fly a wild card flag to commerate their wild card championship a few years ago (I don't watch Cubs games), but even if there were such things as wild card flags, I wouldn't imagine you would see such a thing celebrating World Series championship seasons in California, Arizona or Florida.

How many people do you expect to see at the Cell this year wearing shirts celebrating the Sox as 2005 AL Central champs?

Erik The Red
04-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Sometimes you only need to win 88% of the division.

Born SoxFan 1962
04-01-2006, 12:34 AM
I haven't noticed if the Cubs fly a wild card flag to commerate their wild card championship a few years ago (I don't watch Cubs games), but even if there were such things as wild card flags, I wouldn't imagine you would see such a thing celebrating World Series championship seasons in California, Arizona or Florida.

How many people do you expect to see at the Cell this year wearing shirts celebrating the Sox as 2005 AL Central champs?

Guess I'm the only Wack-Job that purchased all three (division, league and world series) hats and shirts. :redface: couldn't help myself!

HotelWhiteSox
04-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Nope, I did too, try to alternate. I really like my AL Central shirt, the skyline and just style, good stuff.

elrod
04-01-2006, 01:07 AM
I still can't believe we're even having this discussion. The baseball season starts Sunday night and the White Sox will raise the World Series Champion flag. Unbelievable. I've been AWOL from this site for awhile, focusing on finishing my dissertation at NU and watching football and college hoops. But now it all comes back. We're World Champions!

IlliniSox4Life
04-01-2006, 04:22 AM
The reason I asked is I heard Bill Melton on AM1000 Tuesday night mention three flags and it sounded strange to me at the time but I started to think about it and with no experience in modern times to fall back on, it started to sound pretty good. I guess just one that has: "WORLD CHAMPIONS" on it pretty much says it all.:supernana:

Is it possible he was talking about flags for the three world series? 1906, 1917, and 2005 and not for the Division, Pennant, and WS?

Born SoxFan 1962
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Is it possible he was talking about flags for the three world series? 1906, 1917, and 2005 and not for the Division, Pennant, and WS?

I should have said "Raising". Melton said "we have three flags to raise sunday night" and since the flags for the '06 victory over the Cubs and the '17 victory over the Giants are already up, I just figured he ment the Division, AL Pennant and WS flags for 2005.