PDA

View Full Version : Watching for scalping around the park?

jamokes
03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
It will be very interesting Opening night and all season at the Cell. In the past, Sox security and Chicago's finest have had a sharp eye on second hand ticket selling. There will be a lot of extra tickets floating around!!

steff
03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
It will be very interesting Opening night and all season at the Cell. In the past, Sox security and Chicago's finest have had a sharp eye on second hand ticket selling. There will be a lot of extra tickets floating around!!

Probably no worse then the playoffs. Face value was to be had if you waited long enough and I suspect that will be the norm for the big games this year.

downstairs
03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Question... just curious... is it illegal to sell tickets at face value outside the park?

ewokpelts
03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Question... just curious... is it illegal to sell tickets at face value outside the park?yes/no.....you CANT within 500 feet of the park, but it isnt illegal to sell past that

SouthSide_HitMen
03-31-2006, 11:16 PM
yes/no.....you CANT within 500 feet of the park, but it isnt illegal to sell past that

I don't know if the ticket law is 500 feet or 1000 feet. The city council passed a law under Reinsdorf's urging banning vendors within 1000 feet of the Comiskey Park II.

I would NOT sell tickets on their property or even on sidewalks in front of their property (35th & Shields). If you are by the park / Jimbos to the North or West of the tracks you should be ok selling tickets at face.

Police will be cracking down - I saw arrests first hand last postseason (A class A Misdemeanor). I have a friend who is a sergeant assigned to Events (he says the White Sox are the only team in Chicago who do not want uniformed personnel assigned to the area anywhere inside the stadium which is a pretty odd policy). I'll ask him next time I see him and report back if anything contradicts what I posted.

ksox
08-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Question... just curious... is it illegal to sell tickets at face value outside the park?

It's 1000 feet. Just got ticket thur 31st for trying to sell a $21 ticket for $10. After he wrote me the ticket, that i got to keep, he told me to try and sell it past the train tracks. GO FIGURE. Being from Indiana I had no clue. Guess there is going to be a warrant for my arrest in the city of chicago since i'm not paying. They can drive the 3 hrs and arrest me LOL

jamokes
08-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Man, I've never have seen someone get a ticket for trying to sell a ticket.......and I have seen plenty of people trying to sell tickets around the park. Just bad luck.

ksox
08-31-2006, 09:11 PM
I really should of get pissy with the cop because i had a ticket in my hand and she approched me, crossing the street from red line, and ask me if i was selling a ticket. I didn't ask her she asked me first.

SouthSideSoxFan
08-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Man, I've never have seen someone get a ticket for trying to sell a ticket.......and I have seen plenty of people trying to sell tickets around the park. Just bad luck.

I've seen people getting busted for selling tickets a lot this year, but not in previous years.

I had an extra pair for one of the Cubs/Sox games, and went up to a cop and asked if there was anywhere I could sell them without getting into trouble. He told me to walk past the Dan Ryan and go past the green line. I did, and sold them for face value. On the walk back I thanked the cop and he just smiled.

ksox
08-31-2006, 09:35 PM
After he wrote me my ticket he told me where to go to sell it. WHATEVER

CaptainBallz
09-01-2006, 12:22 AM
So you register here, dig up a 5 month old thread, and take shots at THE MAN for not arresting you.

First thing I would do...:rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
09-01-2006, 12:58 AM
So you register here, dig up a 5 month old thread, and take shots at THE MAN for not arresting you.

At least it's good to know that the bubble of security didn't vanish entirely after opening day, so I will take this as a friendly warning.

However, with the recent warnings of counterfeit tickets, I'd probably not want to show up at USCF w/o tickets in hand unless I knew I was meeting up with someone I trusted.

SMO
:gulp:

Cat Thief
09-01-2006, 01:04 AM
**** I almost thought Steff was posting here again.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-01-2006, 01:30 AM
It's 1000 feet. Just got ticket thur 31st for trying to sell a $21 ticket for $10. After he wrote me the ticket, that i got to keep, he told me to try and sell it past the train tracks. GO FIGURE. Being from Indiana I had no clue. Guess there is going to be a warrant for my arrest in the city of chicago since i'm not paying. They can drive the 3 hrs and arrest me LOL

It is the end of the month, quotas are in play and the city needs more revenue. I've been to just over a dozen games this season and have seen several people issued a ticket as well as a few arrests just walking from the red line to the park / tailgate.

Best to sell your tickets online where it is legal (if you do so in accordance with the Illinois law (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=094-0020) which passed last year) and to complete your transactions far away from the ballpark.

**** I almost thought Steff was posting here again.

:rolling:

I did a doubletake as well.

ksox
09-01-2006, 06:31 AM

No i register cause I'm a sox fan and wanted to find other ways to park at games and any other indside tips people might have. The man that arrested me was cool about it and pretty much said not to worry about it. He said "Do you know how many unpaid parking tickets there are in the city of chicago". I just wanted other people to know cause i had no clue at the law was being from indiana.

credeistheman
09-01-2006, 12:02 PM
No i register cause I'm a sox fan and wanted to find other ways to park at games and any other indside tips people might have. The man that arrested me was cool about it and pretty much said not to worry about it. He said "Do you know how many unpaid parking tickets there are in the city of chicago". I just wanted other people to know cause i had no clue at the law was being from indiana.

don't sweat it ksox, a lot of the posters here are ornery-they just like to pick on a new guy.

35th&Shields
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Here's Illinois' statute on this issue, if anyone is interested. Since this is a Public Act, there are no copyright issues so I posted this in its entirety. This statute, and all others, can be found on our General Assembly's excellent website, www.ilga.gov.

CRIMINAL OFFENSES
(720 ILCS 375/) Ticket Sale and Resale Act.

(720 ILCS 375/0.01) (from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 157.30)
Sec. 0.01. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Ticket Sale and Resale Act.
(Source: P.A. 94‑20, eff. 6‑14‑05.)

(720 ILCS 375/1) (from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 157.31)
Sec. 1. Sale of tickets other than at box office prohibited; exceptions.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, owner, lessee, manager, trustee, or any of their employees or agents, owning, conducting, managing or operating any theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold for any such places of amusement or public entertainment to sell or permit the sale, barter or exchange of such admission tickets at any other place than in the box office or on the premises of such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement, but nothing herein prevents such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement from placing any of its admission tickets for sale at any other place at the same price such admission tickets are sold by such theater, circus, baseball park or other place of public entertainment or amusement at its box office or on the premises of such places, at the same advertised price or printed rate thereof.
(b) Any term or condition of the original sale of a ticket to any theater, circus, baseball park, or place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold that purports to limit the terms or conditions of resale of the ticket (including but not limited to the resale price of the ticket) is unenforceable, null, and void if the resale transaction is carried out by any of the means set forth in subsections (b), (c), (d), and (e) of Section 1.5 of this Act. This subsection shall not apply to a term or condition of the original sale of a ticket to any theater, circus, baseball park, or place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold that purports to limit the terms or conditions of resale of a ticket specifically designated as seating in a special section for a person with a physical disability.

(

ksox
09-01-2006, 02:37 PM
So the the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer. How do scalpers end up with $30 tickets in hand anyway? True fans trying to sell tickets to other fans shouldn't be punished while these scalpers are trying to rip true fans off. It's that way over my way for Notre Dame Football games. Only the rich can go this year. I had some guy offer me $350 for one ticket for opening game which was actually a pretty good deal. OH well I have two extra tickets to monday night detroit game. I would try and sell them to someone on this board but i might as well make a fast buck like everyone else.

Iwritecode
09-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Here's Illinois' statute on this issue, if anyone is interested. Since this is a Public Act, there are no copyright issues so I posted this in its entirety. This statute, and all others, can be found on our General Assembly's excellent website, www.ilga.gov.

CRIMINAL OFFENSES
(720 ILCS 375/) Ticket Sale and Resale Act.

(720 ILCS 375/0.01) (from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 157.30)
Sec. 0.01. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Ticket Sale and Resale Act.

(720 ILCS 375/1) (from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 157.31)
Sec. 1. Sale of tickets other than at box office prohibited; exceptions.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation, owner, lessee, manager, trustee, or any of their employees or agents, owning, conducting, managing or operating any theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold for any such places of amusement or public entertainment to sell or permit the sale, barter or exchange of such admission tickets at any other place than in the box office or on the premises of such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement, but nothing herein prevents such theater, circus, baseball park, place of public entertainment or amusement from placing any of its admission tickets for sale at any other place at the same price such admission tickets are sold by such theater, circus, baseball park or other place of public entertainment or amusement at its box office or on the premises of such places, at the same advertised price or printed rate thereof.
(b) Any term or condition of the original sale of a ticket to any theater, circus, baseball park, or place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold that purports to limit the terms or conditions of resale of the ticket (including but not limited to the resale price of the ticket) is unenforceable, null, and void if the resale transaction is carried out by any of the means set forth in subsections (b), (c), (d), and (e) of Section 1.5 of this Act. This subsection shall not apply to a term or condition of the original sale of a ticket to any theater, circus, baseball park, or place of public entertainment or amusement where tickets of admission are sold that purports to limit the terms or conditions of resale of a ticket specifically designated as seating in a special section for a person with a physical disability.

(

You should have also added this:

(c) This Act does not apply to the sale of tickets of admission to a sporting event, theater, musical performance, or place of public entertainment or amusement of any kind for a price in excess of the printed box office ticket price by a reseller engaged in interstate or intrastate commerce on an Internet auction listing service duly registered with the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation under the Auction License Act and with the Office of the Secretary of State on a registration form provided by that Office. This subsection (c) applies to both sales through an online bid submission process and sales at a fixed price on the same website or interactive computer service as an Internet auction listing service registered with the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.

Which, as mentioned above by SouthSide_HitMen, makes it legal to sell tickets above face value on places like Ebay.

Oblong
09-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Can the organization still do something to the season ticket holder who sells their tickets on the internet? Like void their account and not let them purchase any new ones?

Could they even void the remainder of the playoff year?

SoxFan78
09-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Can the organization still do something to the season ticket holder who sells their tickets on the internet? Like void their account and not let them purchase any new ones?

Why would the Sox organization do anything to the ticket holder? Its legal, in fact, ticket holders can put up their tickets for sale for whatever they want on whitesox.com.

Palehose13
09-01-2006, 03:31 PM

Why would they do that? I sell my extras on ebay all the time. The people bidding are the ones that determine the price, not me. I'm not wealthy by any means and I figure since I put my money where my mouth is last year and bought season tickets (January 2005) because I thought the Sox had a great team, I have no problem benefitting from any "Johnny come lately".

Oh, and since I live out of state I can legally sell my tickets above face value.

Oblong
09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I agree that it's bad business to tick off your fans and customers but they must have their reasons or else they'd be more willing to look the other way on game premises. I assume the laws against selling on the premises is based on the organization's desires.

ewokpelts
09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
So the the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer. How do scalpers end up with $30 tickets in hand anyway? True fans trying to sell tickets to other fans shouldn't be punished while these scalpers are trying to rip true fans off. It's that way over my way for Notre Dame Football games. Only the rich can go this year. I had some guy offer me $350 for one ticket for opening game which was actually a pretty good deal. OH well I have two extra tickets to monday night detroit game. I would try and sell them to someone on this board but i might as well make a fast buck like everyone else.scalpers get tickets two ways.
1. they buy from fans dumping tix.
2. They buy season tickets just like you and me.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
scalpers get tickets two ways.
1. they buy from fans dumping tix.
2. They buy season tickets just like you and me.

3. Get tickets from players / coaches (especially for high profile events like the World Series and Super Bowl). Players are alloted tickets (Super Bowl) and many are happy to part with the tickets for face + for ready cash in the locker room.

4. They pay off TM employees (and Box Office employees) who allot tickets to scalpers prior to the sale.

5. They pay off bums to stand in wristband lines (I saw this firsthand for a Springsteen show at the Rosemont Theatre and a near riot insued outside of Rose Records downtown near the mission).

ilsox7
09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I agree that it's bad business to tick off your fans and customers but they must have their reasons or else they'd be more willing to look the other way on game premises. I assume the laws against selling on the premises is based on the organization's desires.

Any basis for that assumption?