PDA

View Full Version : HARUMPH ! Rick Morrisey gets self righteous on us

SOXPHILE
03-31-2006, 10:25 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

Looks like somebody's got a little red arse over all the comments and e-mails sent to him about his last column picking the Cubs to win the division, though he doesn't know why, and all the accusations of him being a company man and mouthpiece for TribCo with his past comments about the Cubs and Sox. Nice job everyone.

daveeym
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

Looks like somebody's got a little red arse over all the comments and e-mails sent to him about his last column picking the Cubs to win the division, though he doesn't know why, and all the accusations of him being a company man and mouthpiece for TribCo with his past comments about the Cubs and Sox. Nice job everyone. It's really funny seeing the effect on the Cubune with the Sox winning and the WSI calling them out campaign. The mods should set up the auto-typer to immediately fill in all the mediots email addresses after their names whenever they're typed. Easy access for anyone who wants to call them on their BS.

Dan Mega
03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Nobody was harder on Sammy Sosa over the last eight years than I was. Nobody considered him a bigger fraud than I did. At the height of his popularity, when most other columnists had to wipe the drool off their faces, I wasn't a Sammy fan.

That's complete BS! Morrisey took shots at Rick Reilly when Reilly suggested that Sosa was juicing a few years back!

What a liar and a crybaby!:whiner:

Iwritecode
I've argued until my face was Tribune blue that most of us in the sports department don't have an emotional investment in whether the Cubs win or lose.

Right. That's why you have this so-called "gut feeling" about the Flubs winning this year just because they're "due". That's obviously the unbiased reporter in you talking, not the Flubs fan... :rolleyes:

What we do have is an emotional investment in a good story.

:roflmao:
My definition of "good story" must be way off because what I read yesterday couldn't be classified as either good or a story...

Uncle_Patrick
He wants the Trib to sell the Cubs so no one can question his motives when he writes about the Cubs. Whatever, who cares? I swear that he uses his blog just so he has fodder for his next column.

SOXPHILE
03-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Don't forget, alot of that 1.7 million at the White Sox World Series Championship parade were really Cub fans. (There just can't be that many Sox fans in Chicago). Plus, if the Cubs won, the Sox parade would look like and "Oak Lawn 4th of July parade" in comparison to a Cubs one. Funny, I really don't remember the words "steroids", "HGH", "suspicious" or "wife-beater" appearing too often in his columns about the Cubs and Sosa between 1997-2004. What a tool.

itsnotrequired
03-31-2006, 10:41 AM
I swear that he uses his blog just so he has fodder for his next column.

Perhaps Hangar needs to start using "Yellow" when referring to Morrisey as well as Kiley.

gobears1987
03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
What a moron. He acknowledges all the holes the Cubs have yet still thinks they can finish ahead of the Cards, Brewers, and Stros. What his he smoking?
:bong:

palehozenychicty
03-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Yesterday, it was Downey lamenting the ineptitude of the Cubune machine , and today it's Morrissey whining. Happy times. :D:

Uncle_Patrick
03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
What a moron. He acknowledges all the holes the Cubs have yet still thinks they can finish ahead of the Cards, Brewers, and Stros. What his he smoking?
:bong:

Personally, I don't care what he predicts. But being that he's a sports journalist, I'd prefer it that he back up his predictions with better reasons that "just because".

1951Campbell
03-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, Morrisey: methinks the lady doth protest too much.

If there really was an impenetrable wall between business and editorial, we really wouldn't be having this discussion now, would we?

TommyJohn
03-31-2006, 11:03 AM
You know, the Trib has a complete archive now, going back to 1852. If
Ricky really was a Sammy hater, we can easily look it up to see if it is true.
I will.

palehozenychicty
03-31-2006, 11:06 AM
You know, the Trib has a complete archive now, going back to 1852. If
Ricky really was a Sammy hater, we can easily look it up to see if it is true.
I will.

Nice. Call him out on the stand for obvious perjury. :cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
03-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey, Morrisey: methinks the lady doth protest too much.
No kidding. It's obvious this guy's tongue is planted quite firmly in cheek; too bad the Cubune can't print certain columns with teal ink.

tebman
03-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Yawn.

It's been clear to me for some time that Morrissey wants to be Jay Mariotti when he grows up. He's either been appointed, or has appointed himself, as the bomb-thrower in the Tribune's sports department. The formula is pretty simple: write something outrageous ("still a Cubs town," "Cubs will win the division," etc.) and wait for angry responses. Then provide snarky replies in subsequent columns or blogs.

Indeed, the lady doth protest too much.

CaptainBallz
03-31-2006, 11:29 AM
What a turd. What exactly is the difference between towing the company line and your own ridiculous biases when they get in the way of objective journalism?
"I'm not a company boy, I just bleed Cubbie blue!!..." That's fine and dandy, but maybe you shouldn't be covering sports then. Especially when you actually publish crap that oozes with your foundationless bias. Why should anybody have to read that?

Dan H
03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Many times I like Morrisey's column. But the Tribune asks for this accusations. Another writer (Julia Keller) wrote a little review on "Game on Shadows." She wrote that that the book itself has great information, but is a poorly written volume with plenty of cliches. She lists what she considers three great baseball writers including Rick Morrisey. That's right. Make sure you praise your own. No, there is no conflict of interest on the Tribune.

mjharrison72
03-31-2006, 01:00 PM
He writes all this and says "nobody's been harder on Sosa" than he has... where's the "Game of Sosa's Shadows," then, Rick? You want to make a million bucks? Go to the DR and take six months to investigate all the people who know for a fact that Sosa is a cheater. Publish as book. Retire in style.

Even so, I wonder if this is a legitimate gripe he has about something that's cramping his style, or if this is the token "Yes, the Trib owns the cubs, and they probably shouldn't, but it doesn't affect our reporting" article of the season.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2006, 01:49 PM
I think a point being missed is that the 'conflict of interest' is beginning to wear on these guys, going as far back as Phil's interview with WSI where he acknowledges it.

From the folks that I have spoken with and talk to it appears to me they would genuinely be happier if the Tribune Company did sell the Cubs. That would make their lives a lot easier.

The other interesting point was the business comments from one of the leading share holders. Apparently owning the Cubs is becomming more and more a drain on the company and some investors are tired of it.

Lip

TommyJohn
03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
He writes that many of the people at the parade were Cub fans, that a Cub
parade will make a Sox one look small, that Chicago is still a Cub town and
he grew up here and has cred so stick it; and then he moans and whines
about those who accuse him of bias?

????????????

Am I missing something here? Am I really just one of those stupid, know-
nothing peasants that sportwriters like him love to lord it over?

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice. Call him out on the stand for obvious perjury. :cool:

Mr. Morrissey, May I remind you that your editorials are all public record?

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 04:27 PM
From the folks that I have spoken with and talk to it appears to me they would genuinely be happier if the Tribune Company did sell the Cubs. That would make their lives a lot easier.

It would only make it easier to for them to openly Root for the Cubs
People seem to think that if Cuban bought the flubbies, they'd have 10 World Series trophies. Thats the only reason your seeing the media pull this move

Uncle_Patrick
03-31-2006, 04:40 PM
It would only make it easier to for them to openly Root for the Cubs
People seem to think that if Cuban bought the flubbies, they'd have 10 World Series trophies. Thats the only reason your seeing the media pull this move

I don't think that's the reason you see the media rooting for this move. The fans, yes, they seem to believe a change in ownership automatically means a better team. But I think your first statement, about rooting for the Cubs more openly is the reason why someone like Morrissey would want the Tribune to sell the Cubs. People can't claim bias if he doesn't work for the company that owns the Cubs.

Iwritecode
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
The other interesting point was the business comments from one of the leading share holders. Apparently owning the Cubs is becomming more and more a drain on the company and some investors are tired of it.

Lip

With as many people that go and spend money at that place year after year I find that amazing.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2006, 05:02 PM
With as many people that go and spend money at that place year after year I find that amazing.
The Cubune needs working capital to fix its core businesses, namely its print and radio/TV empire. A smart business move would be to sell a profitable non-core asset (like the Flubs) and use the proceeds from the sale to get the company out of the ****ing mess they made for themselves elsewhere.

That's why the WSJ is filled with speculation today that the Flubbies are for sale. It's good business.
:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
03-31-2006, 05:06 PM
If they don't sell the Cubs, the Tribune could salvage some of their journalistic credibility if they immediately institute a policy for every sports and news story about the Cubs, Wrigley Field or the area around Wrigley Field to have the following lines tagged on to the end:

1. "The Chicago Cubs are owned by Tribune Corporation, which also owns the Chicago Tribune." (this often is done with news stories, but never in the sports stories)

2. "The writer of this story/column owns (fill in the blank) shares of Tribune Corporation stock."

Note to Rick Morrissey, George Knue, et. al.: You may not get direct pressure from your superiors to write positively about the Cubs and Wrigley Field. However, if you own any Tribune stock, it would be utterly foolish for you to write anything that could lead to a decrease in the price of shares of Tribune Corp. and therefore hurt your investment. It is completely natural, normal and rational for Tribune employees to be pro-Tribune Corp. and by extension, pro-Cubs, if you own Tribune Corp. shares. You have your retirement to consider, after all.
:tongue:

:giantsnail

Iwritecode
03-31-2006, 05:06 PM
The Cubune needs working capital to fix its core businesses, namely its print and radio/TV empire. A smart business move would be to sell a profitable non-core asset (like the Flubs) and use the proceeds from the sale to get the company out of the ****ing mess they made for themselves elsewhere.

That's why the WSJ is filled with speculation today that the Flubbies are for sale. It's good business.

That makes perfect sense. I just can't figure out why a shareholder would say the team is a drain on the company when it's making them money...

Frater Perdurabo
03-31-2006, 05:08 PM
That makes perfect sense. I just can't figure out why a shareholder would say the team is a drain on the company when it's making them money...

All the staff time, print space and web server space they devote to denying an institutional bias exists can't really be shown on a spreadsheet.
:tongue:

Hangar18
03-31-2006, 05:09 PM

And isnt the Wall Street Journal part of the Tribune Entertainment Corporation Empire?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2006, 05:12 PM
The Flubs tie up Cubune capital needed by the company to fix their core businesses. It's the opportunity costs of keeping the Flubs that is a drain on the company.

If the Cubune doesn't sell the Flubs, management can't generate enough capital to fix their horse**** electronic and print media empire. Long term their entire house of cards is at risk. Action is needed. The Cubune can't afford to keep the Flubs.

See... the Chicago Cubs are complete **** even to an otherwise healthy corporation.

itsnotrequired
03-31-2006, 05:13 PM
And isnt the Wall Street Journal part of the Tribune Entertainment Corporation Empire?

Nope, it is operated by Dow Jones.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2006, 05:14 PM

Umm... No.

maurice
03-31-2006, 05:26 PM
For the sake of posterity, this represents at least the second time that a Trib columnist has acknowledged that the ownership interest creates an apparent conflict of interest (contrary to the protestations of other Trib employees). He also acknowledges that only some of the folks who see a conflict are Sox fans. The rest are non-Sox fans and/or members of the media. Here are a couple of relevant quotes from the column:
A newspaper has no business owning a baseball team, in the same way a newspaper would have no business owning a cell-phone company, an insurance company or any other company it might have to cover as a news story....

I can't speak for everyone in the sports department, but I would be willing to bet most of them have had to answer in some fashion for the newspaper's ownership of the Cubs. And I would be willing to bet their answers didn't sway many of the questioners....

Chip Z'nuff
03-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Morrisey: Do you know what I just saw? A gopher. Do you know what gophers can do to a baseball field?

IowaSox1971
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Morrissey's column (or it might have been one of his blogs) mentioned that he has worked at the Tribune since 1997. In 1997, the Trib had owned the Cubs for more than a decade. So, Morrissey knew when he took the job that this conflict of interest existed, and that he would have to write about a team owned by the company that employed him.

Morrissey had a chance to take a principled stand in 1997 and choose not to work at the Trib. Or he could take a stand now and decide to walk away from his job and his six-figure salary because of this conflict of interest. Or he could choose to keep "earning" his big salary while moaning about this conflict of interest. He obviously has chosen the latter option.

Rick, nobody is forcing you to work at the Cubune. Your columns themselves show that you are biased toward the Cubs, and that you are nothing more than a house man. Other writers at the Trib, such as Bob Verdi and Bernie Lincicome, have shown it is possible to criticize the Cubs and be outstanding columnists while working at that newspaper. You can do the same, instead of whining about your situation.