PDA

View Full Version : minor league camp

bigredrudy
03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
I saw two minor leaguers play in two of the exhibition games that interested me. One was named Paulo Orlando. He played in the game the day before yesterday. He took Dye's place late in the game. He wa incredibly skinny but in credibly fast. This guy's speed was the talk of the game. he beat out a double play ball by 5 steps at first base. And he scored from first base on a ball chopped over the first basemen's head. I looked up his name and it said he was from the DSL.and weighed 165 pounds. If he was in the DSL last year he used a different name. He is 20 years old. There was a guy named Paulo in the summer league but he used a differet last name. Yesterday Hawk said the guy was from Brazil but I think he meant Anderson Gomes. I did see Anderson play yesterday but was not impressed. I liked this guy Orlando because of his tremendous speed And he took some hard cuts at the ball. Anything anyone can add to this post would be greatly appreciated.

Randar68
03-31-2006, 12:48 PM
I saw two minor leaguers play in two of the exhibition games that interested me. One was named Paulo Orlando. He played in the game the day before yesterday. He took Dye's place late in the game. He wa incredibly skinny but in credibly fast. This guy's speed was the talk of the game. he beat out a double play ball by 5 steps at first base. And he scored from first base on a ball chopped over the first basemen's head. I looked up his name and it said he was from the DSL.and weighed 165 pounds. If he was in the DSL last year he used a different name. He is 20 years old. There was a guy named Paulo in the summer league but he used a differet last name. Yesterday Hawk said the guy was from Brazil but I think he meant Anderson Gomes. I did see Anderson play yesterday but was not impressed. I liked this guy Orlando because of his tremendous speed And he took some hard cuts at the ball. Anything anyone can add to this post would be greatly appreciated.

We'll be looking for him in Bristol this year then. Had not heard the name before, thanks.

bigredrudy
03-31-2006, 01:36 PM
The guy I was talking about was certainly faster than Podsednik and in my opinion was faster than Owens. He may have played under the name of Paulo Roberto in the DSl. I just don't know. I do know he is 20, is 6 feet three and weighs only 165. Hawk and DJ were still talking about him yesterday. DJ was especially impressed. Again Hawk said he was from Brazil but I don.t know.

KRS1
03-31-2006, 11:50 PM
The guy I was talking about was certainly faster than Podsednik and in my opinion was faster than Owens. He may have played under the name of Paulo Roberto in the DSl. I just don't know. I do know he is 20, is 6 feet three and weighs only 165. Hawk and DJ were still talking about him yesterday. DJ was especially impressed. Again Hawk said he was from Brazil but I don.t know.

I could not find a Paulo Roberto in the DSL, but I could find a Roberto Paulo. He is listed as a White Sox allocated player. He was leading the league in both hits and runs scored at the time of this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sbm1/sbm1sal.htm

The DSL is listed at the bottom of the page.

KRS1
04-01-2006, 12:14 AM
I could not find a Paulo Roberto in the DSL, but I could find a Roberto Paulo. He is listed as a White Sox allocated player. He was leading the league in both hits and runs scored at the time of this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sbm1/sbm1sal.htm

The DSL is listed at the bottom of the page.

Something even more interesting is something I found on IAAF(International Association of Athletic Federations) they have a Orlando Paulo Roberto out of Brazil listed as running events in 2004. Sounds likes this could be our guy. He finished middle of the pack in most of his events(last in others), but considering he was doing this against some of the best Juniors in the world, I'd say he is damn fast. Some more world class speed, and looking at his DSL stats he might be able to play some ball.

http://www.dyestat.com/3us/4out/worldjunior/results-men.htm

bigredrudy
04-01-2006, 06:56 PM
We have found our guy. He was a track star and is from Brazil. And now some additional information. He hit .348 in the DSL and seems to have been far and away the White Sox'x best player in that league. But he stole only 10 bses and hit only three homeruns. And he did not make the all star team. But there are not many baseball players from Brazil. I can't think of any. Brazil is not like the other Latin countries. I don't think they play baseball to any extent. For that reason this guy could be very raw and could develop. Maybe that guy you are always looking forthat noone knows about.

California Sox
04-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Who'd a thunk it? Sox have two mystery players from Brazil.

Didn't the Blue Jays sign some bonus baby from Brazil about ten years ago? I think he had a German name.